Forum Settings
Forums

Woman with ‘mutant’ gene who feels no pain and heals without scarring discovered by scientists

New
Mar 28, 2019 2:51 PM

Jan 2009
A good-natured Scottish pensioner who experiences virtually no pain has superhuman healing and remains unflappable in life-threatening situations may sound like a Marvel spin-off but has just been reported in a leading scientific journal.

UK researchers have discovered Jo Cameron's, now 71, remarkable abilities are apparently down to a previously unreported genetic mutation.

The case, published in the British Journal of Anaesthesia, could open the door for a host of new treatments to help people recover from surgery, manage chronic pain and anxiety disorders.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/healing-powers-no-pain-mutant-gene-scotland-a8842836.html

solution to the opioid crisis? none addictive pain killers are hopefully coming soon because of this
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 28, 2019 4:04 PM

Nov 2008
We could also end up with a vaccine in the distant future that gives us enhanced healing and makes us feel no pain.

Mar 28, 2019 4:09 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah but, she still LOOKS old, right?

See...this is the real problem.

Whenever I hear that “In the future humans will live much longer” I’m not impressed.

If living longer means I LOOK old longer that that doesn’t help.

Now if we can fix that and then we got 70 year old GILFs...THEN we have a future worth fighting for!

Amirite lads?
Mar 28, 2019 4:18 PM

May 2018
Hoppy said:
We could also end up with a vaccine in the distant future that gives us enhanced healing and makes us feel no pain.

The downside is that it's going to cause severe autism.
Mar 28, 2019 4:58 PM

Jul 2012
Only_Brad said:

The downside is that it's going to cause severe autism.
Vaccines don't cause autism
Mar 28, 2019 5:15 PM

Jul 2017
i can't believe that she never thought she was different. That smelling your flesh burning rather than feeling pain was normal. that's wild

Mar 28, 2019 5:36 PM

Mar 2008
Not feeling pain sounds like a bad mutation not a good one. It's a needed sense to have. The no scarring is the only possible good thing. Also both emotional pain and physical pain are closely related so does that mean she's incapable of emotionally empathizing? Wouldn't that be like a type of autism? Actually it's even worse because she also would lack emotions like sadness and guilt and anxiety all together so it's like a cross between sociopathy and autism.
Mar 28, 2019 7:40 PM

Feb 2010
Hoppy said:

I'm going to say no to the feeling no pain part.

You need pain to avoid danger.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 28, 2019 7:51 PM

Feb 2019
Congenital analgesia is nothing new, we've known about the condition for decades. The increased regenerative ability, however, is a promising new find.

As for her decreased reaction to stressful/panic inducing situations, this isn't really surprising considering her inability to feel pain. You'd be much less inclined to fear something if you knew it couldn't actually hurt you.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Mar 29, 2019 9:53 AM

Jun 2011
traed said:
Not feeling pain sounds like a bad mutation not a good one. It's a needed sense to have. The no scarring is the only possible good thing. Also both emotional pain and physical pain are closely related so does that mean she's incapable of emotionally empathizing? Wouldn't that be like a type of autism? Actually it's even worse because she also would lack emotions like sadness and guilt and anxiety all together so it's like a cross between sociopathy and autism.
I doubt the lack of emotions thing, this isnt the first I've heard of someone who doesn't feel pain. didn't really look into it and it's been a long time so I could be wrong, but like you were saying how it would be bad I remember watching a show with a little girl that kept injuring herself because she didn't feel it..... though I'm assuming the difference here is the healing part and what's causing this difference (also the article said VIRTUALLY no pain so that may be a part of the difference as well).
Mar 29, 2019 9:57 AM

Oct 2018
Hope that they ain't doing all sorts of crazy shit experiements on her by now.~
(◕‿◕✿)

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Mar 29, 2019 12:24 PM

Mar 2011
Feeling no pain--unimpressive

Feeling no pain + a faster healing rate-- Ok, she be Wolverine-ish; hats off to the G.

I can see how this would lead to some new knowledge but not positive it would directly lead to a solution for issues.

"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Mar 29, 2019 3:07 PM

Mar 2008
Killaclown said:
traed said:
I doubt the lack of emotions thing, this isnt the first I've heard of someone who doesn't feel pain. didn't really look into it and it's been a long time so I could be wrong, but like you were saying how it would be bad I remember watching a show with a little girl that kept injuring herself because she didn't feel it..... though I'm assuming the difference here is the healing part and what's causing this difference (also the article said VIRTUALLY no pain so that may be a part of the difference as well).

It follows the science as far as I am aware of. Did you know some pain killers reduce empathy? Well yeah if it's not totally gone negative emotions wont be either
Mar 29, 2019 9:03 PM

Mar 2019
i got the feeling its not as impressive as what we think

You Can Not Build The World With Beauty!
You Need Brain And Muscle!

Oh, Seriously?

Then You Can Not Destroy The World With Beauty!
Instead, You Need Brain And Muscle To Do So!
Only People With The Most Superior Brains And Muscles
Can Be The Best At Destroying This World!
But Who Has More Superior Brain And Muscle Anyway?
Me Or Her?

Mar 30, 2019 12:13 AM
Jul 2018
zomg guise x-men is real
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.