Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 11, 2019 5:33 AM
Apr 2017
Do you feel like most anime now days, have no original storylines or ideas? Everything just seems to be a mirror of already made ones, they only seem to "borrow" concepts and ideas, from the ones which have been already out there for a while. I certainly feel like, with most anime's which have a similar storyline, they all seem the same, making you go "oh I feel like I've seen/ heard something like that before". Do you believe there is still space, for an original idea to emerge one day?
Mar 11, 2019 5:34 AM

Feb 2013
this is why i only watch original shows like hulaing babies
Mar 11, 2019 5:52 AM

Oct 2015
Of course there is but I think it's pretty hard to not follow a basic/linear storyline. It's not even limited to anime, even movies and series follow the same formula. It's really a matter of presentation these days rather than originality to be honest
Mar 11, 2019 5:56 AM

May 2016
definitely feels like there's some saturation of particular genres like isekai. I don't mind ideas that aren't original, as long as it's presented in an entertaining and engaging way.

Mar 11, 2019 6:00 AM

Sep 2018
I think slice of life school anime are oversaturated, but in terms of originality new stories are extremely rare so to a certain extent yeah.
Mar 11, 2019 6:06 AM

Feb 2019
Hmm is there a anime like Dororo and The Promised Neverland maybe The Promised Neverland is abit like tokyo ghoul and attack on titan but they seem pretty origal to me even tho Dororo is based on a realy old manga ..Im new here so I dont really have that much knowlage about anime but just wanted to write my ideas
Mar 11, 2019 6:14 AM

Jan 2017
Dororo and Kaguya-sama are both airing this season, so no, I'm happy that anime's got plenty of originality left.
Mar 11, 2019 6:16 AM

Oct 2010
romagia said:
this is why i only watch original shows like hulaing babies

This unironically. More people should check this show before going into tired rants about how anime nowadays are all the same shit.

Like, it's not a valid complaint if you choose to ignore the shows that are blatantly original and aesthetically daring.
Mar 11, 2019 6:27 AM
May 2018
Yes, I think so too. Of course we're talking of proportions here, no need to come here and say "look at this anime or that one, it's original", of course some animes are original. But in general, it is not rare to find animes with almost the exact same synopsis as others.
The problem isn't new though ; it's been this way for a few years now.

The thing is, this industry is full of strict codes, which is why it ends up with a lot of tropes. And it's not just plots. Similar settings, similar stakes, similar ideas, similar characters, similar dialogues,... even some actual environments can be seen a lot in plenty animes.

Luckily, most of the time the animes that are too much copy-pasted fall into oblivion and leave space to more original stuff.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Mar 11, 2019 6:33 AM

Oct 2010
Dante012 said:
Yes, I think so too. Of course we're talking of proportions here, no need to come here and say "look at this anime or that one, it's original", of course some animes are original. But in general, it is not rare to find animes with almost the exact same synopsis as others.
The problem isn't new though ; it's been this way for a few years now.

Well, the issue is when those original shows are either on purpose or unknowingly missed out to sustain the generalization, which happens with these threads a lot of the time. Focusing on just the most popular stuff is a huge bias against perceiving the creativity of the industry as a whole, because things are usually popular because they include elements fans are familiar with and that have proved their effectiveness before.
Mar 11, 2019 6:41 AM
Jul 2018
It seems only natural for original concepts to eventually run out. But I don't think that's the case yet. A lot of shows coming out now look pretty original to me.
Then again, I don't mind repetition of concepts and storylines as long as it's done well. For example, I really liked Kamisama Kiss. So when I got around to watching Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi, which is super similar to the former, I didn't really get disappointed. It was still a good experience. (I understand that I should've used more popular examples)
Point being, I'm okay with shows being repetitive and predictable as long as it is done well in other fields.
Mar 11, 2019 7:29 AM

Apr 2015
Originality is a farce. Always has been. Always will be. Everything and everything already has been done, or will be done eventually. The best thing art can do is acknowledge this, and try to add on top of what already exist with their own ideas.

I'm a cynical guy who thinks anime was better in the 80'-90's because it had more "original" ideas, but that did not inherently beget quality, there's plenty of dumb ovas with original ideas that flopped hard because they just weren't executed well.

I don't think we should focus on if something is "original", but good, and why that is so.
Mar 11, 2019 8:32 AM

Jul 2017
I don't think this only applies to anime. Most media really is some sort of copy of something else in one way or another
Mar 11, 2019 9:09 AM

Feb 2010
Idk, Virtual-san definitely brings some new stuff to the table this season. Kemurikusa has an original setting and worldbuilding and seems pretty different from most anime I've seen. I'm watching Gurazeni from last season right now as well, and it's definitely unique as far as sports anime go. I've seen a ton of sports anime but none of them had Gurazeni's laid back slice of life approach.

So yeah, it's mostly a matter of what shows you pick to watch and whether you're able to recognize what makes a show unique instead of only ever focusing on similarities to other shows. For example you can see Gurazeni as just another sports anime and therefore lacking originality, but that would be missing the point and not doing the show justice.

In the end you often have the choice of focusing on similarities or focusing on what makes sets a show apart. Both elements are usually present in the majority of shows. It's up to you what your perspective is gonna be.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 11, 2019 9:23 AM

Apr 2014
That is because most shows aren't original. However, every season there are multiple gems that are a breath of fresh air, and feel original.
Mar 11, 2019 9:58 AM

Jul 2015
Hime-han said:
Do you feel like most anime now days, have no original storylines or ideas? Everything just seems to be a mirror of already made ones, they only seem to "borrow" concepts and ideas, from the ones which have been already out there for a while. I certainly feel like, with most anime's which have a similar storyline, they all seem the same, making you go "oh I feel like I've seen/ heard something like that before". Do you believe there is still space, for an original idea to emerge one day?

No and execution is a much higher priority to me than originality
Mar 11, 2019 10:06 AM
Feb 2014
I don't think so, anime still feels pretty fresh and original to me, i mean, just last summer we had this anime: https://myanimelist.net/anime/37141/Hataraku_Saibou, or this one in summer 2017: https://myanimelist.net/anime/34547/Shoukoku_no_Altair

You really can't say we aren't getting more original anime when gems such as these come out.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 11, 2019 10:20 AM

Nov 2018
Ponds667 said:
definitely feels like there's some saturation of particular genres like isekai. I don't mind ideas that aren't original, as long as it's presented in an entertaining and engaging way.

^ agreed!

While originality is good, I find execution to be more important.
And while a lot of anime nowadays isn't original, neither has it been for a while now. Every season there's always been a few "original" ideas amongst the plethora of bad-not really great animes (don't let your pessimism ruin anime for you), even right now. Dororo, Kaguya-sama, promised neverland, s2 mob psycho, and boogiepop are a few titles I could name.
Mar 11, 2019 10:20 AM

Apr 2018
Anime is no less original than cinema, video games, or any other entertainment medium.

Everything draws inspiration from something else; it's all derivative to varying degrees.

Even Star Wars, which was considered unique and groundbreaking at the time, follows a very basic storytelling structure that was already established years before.
Mar 11, 2019 11:40 AM

May 2009
[opinion]

What do people actually mean when they say "nothing is original anymore"?

It seems that the comment usually means "I feel like I've read this plot premise/synopsis before".

Except all that really means is "I've seen a lot of anime and thus it doesn't feel fresh to me anymore", and says nothing about the originality of the plot direction and other details, such as the specific combination of plot details and setting elements.

I think anime is a lot more enjoyable if you're watching it not merely to see what the plot is going to end up being, but watching it to take in a journey. Even if you've been on a journey before, every time it's a little different.

(Note: I'm not a stickler for "originality", so my perspective may be different.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 11, 2019 11:51 AM

Apr 2017
Some basic plot points are always going to be unoriginal because there are only so many basic plot points to choose from, and that applies to pretty much every medium. However I think that we are still getting enough shows with plenty of unique plot points. It's really a matter of perception whether one chooses to look at what's similar or what's different. There are also many show that have very few original points, but each season there are at least 3-5 shows that I think are original enough, and that's enough to choose from imo.

For the rest of them one just has to be ready for some originality to be lost. But that's also not necessarily a bad thing. If anything, while highly unoriginal show will never be great, it will rarely be horrible either unless author or studio make some serious mistakes, as there are plenty of shows to learn from to make it right, while it's much easier to make original plot wrong. Both originality and execution are equally important for me. As long as it's executed well, even unoriginal plot can be appealing, and original plot can be bad if not executed right, in the end.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Mar 11, 2019 11:56 AM

May 2009
MrZawa said:
Some basic plot points are always going to be unoriginal because there are only so many basic plot points to choose from, and that applies to pretty much every medium.
Well, yeah, pretty much the core idea of almost every plot type is going to be "generic" and "unoriginal".

Like, two people fall in love, but stuff happens that makes getting together difficult for them, that's a basic plot premise for romance. There's an infinite number of things one can do with that -- starting with at least three different possible resolutions for the romance itself (they get together, they just break up, or something R&J-esque), and then there's the setting, the pacing, the choices of character tropes and personality traits, the actual obstacles (social? economic? political? physical?), the story type (drama? comedy?), and much much more. But if all we're looking at is the very very basics, then yeah, sure, everything's gonna be been-there-done-that.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 11, 2019 12:25 PM

Dec 2018
I’d say it’s easier to find an original anime than an original MAL thread to be honest.

Really though, everything has been done one way or another, it literally is impossible to find something that isn’t using a few tropes of some sort.

That doesn’t make it unoriginal though, you can utilize tropes and grab inspiration from other things and still keep it original in it’s own way.

Let’s take Haki from One Piece, chakra from naruto, ki from dbz, and nen from HxH. These are all obviously inspired from the same concepts, but are each individual in their own ways.

Mureum being a copy paste of Cell is the only thing I’ve seen so far that actually upset me from a lack of originality standpoint.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 11, 2019 12:32 PM
Sep 2018
A major reason why this repetitiveness exists, in my opinion, is due to creators not daring to take risks. It’s much simpler to make something which you already have a working template for. On the contrary, if you create something unprecedented, people MAY love it, but the possibilty that it’s shit and everybody will hate it is also there.

For instance, the Monogatari series is quite original in many ways and people love it, but School Days, which admittedly has very unusual twists, is considered abomination for the vast majority of anime watchers.
Mar 11, 2019 12:35 PM

Dec 2015
Things always seem to be less original than they used to be, because your scope of experienced has increased so you now realise how things are more like older things.

People born in the 70s will think 80s things were more original, people born in the 90s will think 2000s stuff was more original. etc.

There are shows and films that will doing familiar thigns in a different way or approach things from a difference angle. But eventually you realise there is not that much that is or can be truly original. Or if it is it's because it was a really bad idea.

Originally is often mis-judged and over-rated. Being good is far more important than being truly original.

The Battle Angel Alita movie does a far better job of telling the story than the Anime OAV, even though it's not original.

The Island by Michael Bay does a far better job of telling the story of 'Parts The Clonus Horror' which it was illegally based on. Because it had a vastly bigger budget so we got more explosions and car chases. But it's not original.

Some things break the mold, but they still came out of a mold. They just improved it.
Mar 11, 2019 12:50 PM

Jun 2017
You're watching wrong shows. That's all
Mar 11, 2019 12:56 PM

Aug 2017
Thats how its always been. Its nothing new to take ideas from other shows
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2019 1:07 PM

May 2016
Loonitick said:
Ponds667 said:

^ agreed!

While originality is good, I find execution to be more important.
And while a lot of anime nowadays isn't original, neither has it been for a while now. Every season there's always been a few "original" ideas amongst the plethora of bad-not really great animes (don't let your pessimism ruin anime for you), even right now. Dororo, Kaguya-sama, promised neverland, s2 mob psycho, and boogiepop are a few titles I could name.

yup. A show can be the most original thing but if it's done wrong it's still bad :P

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

61 by billybub »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

41 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 2 hours ago

15 by Spunkert »»
5 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

6 by IpreferEcchi »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

43 by animegamer245 »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.