Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 15, 2019 10:20 AM
Apr 2016
I have seen people mentioning them both as he and she so I'm little bit confused if Dororo is a female or a male. Does it matter in the story? And is it even addressed?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 15, 2019 10:22 AM

Aug 2018
Don't know if this matters to everyone, so I'll just put a spoiler tag.

Jan 19, 2019 9:06 AM

Aug 2018
so... dororo is basically a transgender
Jan 19, 2019 5:30 PM

May 2018
Dororo is a reverse trap
Jan 20, 2019 11:02 PM

Jul 2014
Girl. Nothing will convince me otherwise.
Jan 20, 2019 11:30 PM
Aug 2015
Not_Ryan_Gosling said:

did you just assume dororo gender?
its 2019, check your privilege
Jan 21, 2019 7:06 AM

Mar 2012
dai_san_gen said:
Not_Ryan_Gosling said:

"did you just assume ___ gender?" memes are garbage, get out of here with your neckbeard humor.

Anyways, to answer the question, Dororo is a girl who was raised to believe she's a boy.
Jan 21, 2019 9:48 AM
Apr 2016
[quote=SparkleDuck message=56769856]
dai_san_gen said:
Not_Ryan_Gosling said:

Anyways, to answer the question, Dororo is a girl who was raised to believe she's a boy.

AT LEAST according to the original material, you meant to say. While there are many signs that current Dororo is actually a girl (being voiced by a 12 year old girl and not a 50 year old granny being one of them), we will have to see how this particular entry plays with the gender of Dororo.
Re:formed
Jan 21, 2019 12:04 PM
Jan 2018
JanPri said:
I have seen people mentioning them both as he and she so I'm little bit confused if Dororo is a female or a male. Does it matter in the story? And is it even addressed?

Better ask to Crona from Soul Eater. :*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2019 2:40 PM

Jun 2013
Now I know. Thanks commentors.
臭い-
Jan 21, 2019 10:56 PM

Apr 2016
it’s idiotic to try and clock dororos gender. hes biologically female, calls himself a boy and is insecure about his body. if you’re a normie reading this i think it’s stupid to try and call him trans, or a tomboy, or to even try to ascertain the gender of a 10 year old when we can all agree on the actual facts of dororos character which ive named above. that’s all
moe moe ichijou seiya

Jan 21, 2019 10:57 PM

Apr 2016
and no it doesn’t matter plotwise
moe moe ichijou seiya

Jan 22, 2019 12:19 AM
Completionist

Nov 2018
If I remember correctly, in the original anime adaptation
so it might actually be used in the plot later on. I don’t think any answers are supposed to be certain at this point in the series.
immortalis_Jan 22, 2019 12:26 AM
Jan 22, 2019 8:51 AM

Mar 2017
Isn't Dororo the girl who appears in the opening theme song?
Jan 22, 2019 10:34 AM

Feb 2017
Minar-kyun said:
Isn't Dororo the girl who appears in the opening theme song?

from what i see at PV 3, it is not

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Jan 31, 2019 5:16 AM

Nov 2013
From the very start i was pretty sure Dororo was a boy, but Dororo is actually a girl who acts like a boy. Don't know if it's intentional, but being a boy in that era is probably more convenient than being a girl...so.
Feb 3, 2019 8:30 PM
Oct 2017
Dororo Is a girl her parent were murdered when she was younger so to hide from their murderer she pretends to be a boy!
son2380Feb 3, 2019 8:35 PM
Feb 3, 2019 8:31 PM
Oct 2017
kevne said:
Don't know if this matters to everyone, so I'll just put a spoiler tag.

She pretending to be a boy to hide from her parents murderers! That what girls did during that time when they felt they would be killed
Feb 3, 2019 8:32 PM
Oct 2017
MrAnimeKid said:
so... dororo is basically a transgender

no she is not she is in disguise
Feb 3, 2019 8:34 PM
Oct 2017
Skana said:
Pretty sure dororo is a Boy. Quite hard to identify its gender tbh.

She is a girl She is on the run from her parents murderer, unless they changed her origin
Feb 4, 2019 6:42 PM

Aug 2016
In the stage play Rie plays Dororo.

So pretty sure female. Or else they would've casted a one of them slim and slightly feminine dudes.
Feb 5, 2019 12:20 AM

Aug 2015
At first I thought it was a boy.

Feb 12, 2019 6:50 PM
Nov 2016
Okay I thought it was a girl cause of the look, but then the voice and the open chest made me think otherwise
Feb 13, 2019 1:57 AM

Feb 2019

Feb 18, 2019 5:10 PM
Sep 2018
She is a girl. She dresses as a boy to avoid sexual assault
Feb 20, 2019 7:17 PM

Mar 2012
ik she's a girl, but i see her as a boy.
Feb 20, 2019 7:50 PM

Dec 2014
dai_san_gen said:
Not_Ryan_Gosling said:

lol... this again... wouldn't it be like did you associate dororo with a gender
Mar 4, 2019 10:11 AM
Mar 2019
Just to be safe, gonna put this in spoilers

Mar 4, 2019 11:30 AM

Feb 2017
Today's episode (episode 9) confirms Dororo's gender.
Mar 4, 2019 12:04 PM

Nov 2017
Dororo is definitely a female.

Mar 4, 2019 1:23 PM

Mar 2012
As someone who didn’t read the manga, I thought Dororo was a boy until episode nine happened.

I tell you what, she plays the part of a boy very well. If she can fool the viewer, I can see how she’s fooling everyone around her.
Mar 4, 2019 2:27 PM
Sep 2017
It is confirmed in recent episode 9 that Dororo is a girl
Mar 4, 2019 4:02 PM

Sep 2011
As the others have said, episode 9 confirmed Dororo is female. According to the source she is NOT transgender and chooses to dress as a boy for spoiler reasons (which have also been covered by others in this thread), so I wish people would stop projecting onto the character.
Mar 4, 2019 6:22 PM
Mar 2015
He's a Boy. Text no Jutsu.
Mar 4, 2019 6:37 PM
Jun 2017
im shock when the nun used SHE to address dororo. ohh its a reverse trap....
Mar 4, 2019 9:08 PM

Oct 2017
A girl, newest episode was... a reveal i guess? Point is, the story is probably going to keep referring to them as a boy until it becomes relevant. As the replies to this post reveal.
Mar 4, 2019 11:43 PM

Mar 2014
As if your question hasn't already been answered like 10 more times.

Dororo is a girl not a boy.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Mar 6, 2019 6:44 PM

Sep 2016
In Epsiode 9 the Nun clearly said she was a girl
Mar 6, 2019 7:14 PM
Oct 2018
I think he is a boy........you know, boys can be cute too............
Mar 13, 2019 10:03 AM
Mar 2019
So with the latest adaptation of episode 9 I'll say this (also spoilers but I'm on mobile and can't hide it sorry)

Dororo while sick had their clothes washed by a nun looking woman who then told Hyakkimaru how hard it must be to travel with a young girl, he doesn't react to this (though I think thats do to his own situation and it's more so a lack of concept for gender) after they leave dororo realizes that he was undressed to have his clothes washed and showed genuine concern to someone who he has called brother in private conversation (if dororo did an identity change to escape sex slavery his "brother" could be trusted) then you have the arguments of escaping his parents killers. Now I didn't read the manga but in this same episode we learn that dororo's father is killed but takes them down with him, using his final breath to death hug the man who speared him threw the chest, given dororo and his mother didn't run it's clear there was no one left there to harm them. As for his mother she died of starvation not murder.

In conclusion I think in the 2019 anime adaptation we know biologically dororo is female but it stands to reason that he might be a trans boy.

That being said even if he isn't until stated in the show that he is ready for female pronouns I'm going to refer to what is currently identified from the person in question.

And for those who use my argument of "Hyakkimaru seen as a brother so can be trusted" I trust my brother with a lot of things, any time I was hospitalized (not often but still) I knew he would show up to make sure I was okay, in high school I was uncomfortable on a date and he picked me up asap, that being said I couldn't even get him to meet my partner and I doubt he will come to our wedding souly because were queer. People you consider family can be trusted for some things but not everything.
Mar 13, 2019 2:04 PM

Jul 2011
When I started watch episode 1, and those thugs were punching and kicking poor girl, I knew by then she is girl.

After watching episode 1, I went to check MAL character profile for Dororo and check spoiler. Yup, was right :)

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Mar 14, 2019 4:55 AM
Sep 2018
Dororo is female, she hides her gender in order to protect herself so that she won't being kidnapped and sold into prostitution, and in general to fend of potential attacks of sexual nature from people who try to take advantage of poor orphaned homeless girls.
Mar 14, 2019 7:17 PM
Dec 2016
Women in Muromachi period often traveled alone. A foreign missionary visited Japan and was surprised at that. There's no such things like hiding their gender for self-protection.
Dororo's gender just shows Tezuka's fetishism and plot-twist for shock value.
e_hobaMar 14, 2019 7:39 PM
Mar 17, 2019 4:11 PM
Aug 2017
Ace-Lace said:
So with the latest adaptation of episode 9 I'll say this (also spoilers but I'm on mobile and can't hide it sorry)

Dororo while sick had their clothes washed by a nun looking woman who then told Hyakkimaru how hard it must be to travel with a young girl, he doesn't react to this (though I think thats do to his own situation and it's more so a lack of concept for gender) after they leave dororo realizes that he was undressed to have his clothes washed and showed genuine concern to someone who he has called brother in private conversation (if dororo did an identity change to escape sex slavery his "brother" could be trusted) then you have the arguments of escaping his parents killers. Now I didn't read the manga but in this same episode we learn that dororo's father is killed but takes them down with him, using his final breath to death hug the man who speared him threw the chest, given dororo and his mother didn't run it's clear there was no one left there to harm them. As for his mother she died of starvation not murder.

In conclusion I think in the 2019 anime adaptation we know biologically dororo is female but it stands to reason that he might be a trans boy.

That being said even if he isn't until stated in the show that he is ready for female pronouns I'm going to refer to what is currently identified from the person in question.

And for those who use my argument of "Hyakkimaru seen as a brother so can be trusted" I trust my brother with a lot of things, any time I was hospitalized (not often but still) I knew he would show up to make sure I was okay, in high school I was uncomfortable on a date and he picked me up asap, that being said I couldn't even get him to meet my partner and I doubt he will come to our wedding souly because were queer. People you consider family can be trusted for some things but not everything.

Please don't bring that modern day transgender thinking into this. This anime setting is Sengoku era and this is a work from 50 years ago. This is just a simple case of girl disguising as boy existed in hundreds of anime and manga. There are many reasons for them to do that like to protect themselves, avoid being look down at a girl, easier to travel or fight etc. Ever watch Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran, the MC dressed as a man to travel across Japan and fight other villains but she still calls herself a woman.
No offense but I found that LGBT fans like to apply their way of thinking to anime and manga while it is obviously not the case. The series that have trans characters portrayed seriously are drama and slice-of-life and the theme would be about their struggles. Outside of that, trans characters usually treated as joke or a fetish since Japan has a really conservative view in this matter.

You are wrong about one thing though, Dororo dressed as boy to hide from her father's enemy who is still alive and well. Her father only killed the some random samurai. His real enemy is his second-in-command from when he was still a bandit, Itachi-no-Saigo.
Mar 17, 2019 10:06 PM
Mar 2019
Himawari9 said:
Ace-Lace said:

Please don't bring that modern day transgender thinking into this. This anime setting is Sengoku era and this is a work from 50 years ago. This is just a simple case of girl disguising as boy existed in hundreds of anime and manga. There are many reasons for them to do that like to protect themselves, avoid being look down at a girl, easier to travel or fight etc. Ever watch Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran, the MC dressed as a man to travel across Japan and fight other villains but she still calls herself a woman.
No offense but I found that LGBT fans like to apply their way of thinking to anime and manga while it is obviously not the case. The series that have trans characters portrayed seriously are drama and slice-of-life and the theme would be about their struggles. Outside of that, trans characters usually treated as joke or a fetish since Japan has a really conservative view in this matter.

You are wrong about one thing though, Dororo dressed as boy to hide from her father's enemy who is still alive and well. Her father only killed the some random samurai. His real enemy is his second-in-command from when he was still a bandit, Itachi-no-Saigo.

Media is to be seen as the viewer intended, I won't say your wrong in that you think Dororo is a girl, but I won't say I'm wrong either it's all up to the individual.

THAT BEING SAID I am aware of the era and queer individuals have ALWAYS existed we are only more known now because it is safer, I am aware of the mundane slice of life shows (that while I appreciate them LGBTQ+ deserve some exciting shows as well as the casual) I also stated that I think that this is to stand for the 2019 version of the show, not the versions done prior or the original content.

So I will bring in my "modern" thinking into this because the people making it are from Modern times you are free to disagree with me on if Dororo is a trans boy or a cis female you have that right to interpret as you please and I won't sit here and force you to think otherwise, but I'll be damned if someone sits here and tells me I'm not ALOUD to think of a character as being part of my community.

and as for your comment saying how the "good" queer rep is done in drama and slice-of-life and anything else is a joke, we can be written in other situations to, dramas and slice of life had to START showing us at one point or another so what makes you think action/adventure shows can't do that to? your logic behind why Dororo CANT be trans is flawed at best when it comes to the current run of the show.

as for me being wrong about Dororo's parents I wasn't I said his attackers, not his enemy(this was pointed out by people saying he was hiding from his Parents' murderers), I'm aware of his second in command still being around still alive but if Dororo had intended to hide from him then why keep the name? we know it's his birth name his parents and the second-hand man himself called him as such, and you can't tell me Dororo is just a kid not smart enough to think of it because this same child changed their perceived gender for the supposed same reason in your argument.

Say what you will but until the 2019 run of the show, Dororo tells me whether the character identifies as male or female I personally will consider them a trans boy.

Now you Sir, Madam, or Neutral. I hope you have a nice day and from now on respect those opinions who differ from your own without telling them that they shouldn't have them at all.
Ace-LaceMar 17, 2019 10:29 PM
Mar 18, 2019 12:36 AM

Aug 2012
e_hoba said:
Women in Muromachi period often traveled alone. A foreign missionary visited Japan and was surprised at that. There's no such things like hiding their gender for self-protection.
Dororo's gender just shows Tezuka's fetishism and plot-twist for shock value.
I agree is a plot twist for the sake of having a plot twist. But if the story does not change as a result who cares? Is clear to me the author thought the character as a boy and somewhere near the end of the manga decided to have the plot twist but unlike Agatha Christie terrible novels I do not think it affects the story.
Mar 18, 2019 1:20 AM

Oct 2018
Ace-Lace said:
Himawari9 said:

Media is to be seen as the viewer intended, I won't say your wrong in that you think Dororo is a girl, but I won't say I'm wrong either it's all up to the individual.

THAT BEING SAID I am aware of the era and queer individuals have ALWAYS existed we are only more known now because it is safer, I am aware of the mundane slice of life shows (that while I appreciate them LGBTQ+ deserve some exciting shows as well as the casual) I also stated that I think that this is to stand for the 2019 version of the show, not the versions done prior or the original content.

So I will bring in my "modern" thinking into this because the people making it are from Modern times you are free to disagree with me on if Dororo is a trans boy or a cis female you have that right to interpret as you please and I won't sit here and force you to think otherwise, but I'll be damned if someone sits here and tells me I'm not ALOUD to think of a character as being part of my community.

and as for your comment saying how the "good" queer rep is done in drama and slice-of-life and anything else is a joke, we can be written in other situations to, dramas and slice of life had to START showing us at one point or another so what makes you think action/adventure shows can't do that to? your logic behind why Dororo CANT be trans is flawed at best when it comes to the current run of the show.

as for me being wrong about Dororo's parents I wasn't I said his attackers, not his enemy(this was pointed out by people saying he was hiding from his Parents' murderers), I'm aware of his second in command still being around still alive but if Dororo had intended to hide from him then why keep the name? we know it's his birth name his parents and the second-hand man himself called him as such, and you can't tell me Dororo is just a kid not smart enough to think of it because this same child changed their perceived gender for the supposed same reason in your argument.

Say what you will but until the 2019 run of the show, Dororo tells me whether the character identifies as male or female I personally will consider them a trans boy.

Now you Sir, Madam, or Neutral. I hope you have a nice day and from now on respect those opinions who differ from your own without telling them that they shouldn't have them at all.

In episode 9 it is revealed Dororo is a girl.
Mar 18, 2019 9:59 AM
Feb 2019
So there are two explanations of Dororo's gender
1. She is a girl. Her parents brought her as a boy so she thinks herself as a boy.(Canon)
2. She was born in middle of a battle and her breast got burned during the war as described in movie.(Non Canon)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Possible reason for such ending

Raajdeep - Oct 21, 2023

24 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

442 by Flomik »»
Mar 25, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2019

143 by Chlatra »»
Mar 20, 7:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.