Forum Settings
Forums

a few problems i have with the anime awards.

New
Jan 15, 2019 3:55 AM
Sep 2018
1) kakegurui shouldn't!!! be on there, google and you'll see why.

2) why the hell is rascal does not dream of a bunny girl senpai in the AOTY category and yet zombieland saga is (now don't get me wrong i think zombieland is good but not AOTY good) rascal deserved a place in that category.

3) hina vs anzu is not a goddamn fight scene!!! the other fights in the category have more action than hina vs anzu, levi vs kenny's squad (S3 EP2) that was a proper fight scene like the other nominees and was awesome as hell and should get the recognition it deserves.

these are my opinions. if you have a problem with any of it i don't mind hearing it
Jan 15, 2019 4:02 AM

Aug 2017
So, who exactly won? Anzu won as the best girl, am i right?
Jan 15, 2019 4:03 AM

Apr 2013
Which anime awards are you referring to?
Jan 15, 2019 4:08 AM

Feb 2013
Hello prophet_dan
I am Mr. Tanaka from the Anime Awards and i have taken your opinions into consideration.
Jan 15, 2019 4:20 AM

Dec 2015
Just a few?

Look, the best the community can do about this is forget about this award, and give audience to smaller awards that actually care about being fair.
Jan 15, 2019 4:24 AM

Jun 2012
Googled Kakegurui. What is your point?

Biggest problem is how there are way too little entries on each category and how they are using First Past the Post voting, when it should be Alternative Vote. The nominees most voters think deserves to win should win. In these kinds of polls, the winner will rarely get the majority vote.

TL;DR, just watch the second video for the appropriate voting method. (party/candidate = nominee in the awards)

VileFaeJan 15, 2019 4:32 AM
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Jan 15, 2019 4:28 AM
Oct 2018
Malevolent-Fae said:

Biggest problem is how there are way too little entries on each category and how they are using First Past the Post voting, when it should be Alternative Vote. The nominees most voters think deserves to win should win. In these kind's of polls, the winner will rarely get the majority vote.

His point is kakegurui aired in 2017 and the award he is talking about is for 2018.
Jan 15, 2019 4:35 AM

Jun 2012
25NOVember said:

His point is kakegurui aired in 2017 and the award he is talking about is for 2018.

I see. Maybe it's in the awards because it was still being released on Netflix during 2018? But I get the point.
VileFaeJan 15, 2019 5:30 AM
Jan 15, 2019 4:58 AM

Mar 2017
these awards actually don't mean anything unless it came from Nippon imo
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Jan 15, 2019 5:13 AM

Jan 2016
That's why you should avoid any anime awards.
Jan 15, 2019 5:26 AM
Aug 2018
Malevolent-Fae said:

Biggest problem is how there are way too little entries on each category and how they are using First Past the Post voting, when it should be Alternative Vote. The nominees most voters think deserves to win should win. In these kinds of polls, the winner will rarely get the majority vote.

TL;DR, just watch the second video for the appropriate voting method. (party/candidate = nominee in the awards)

kakegurui wasn't aired in 2018, so it can't be there...
AoT > anime
Jan 15, 2019 5:29 AM

Jun 2012
TheDucc1 said:

Read the other replies before commenting.
Jan 15, 2019 5:41 AM

May 2017
they put lily in best girl category...

if only they watched past episode 1
Jan 15, 2019 5:47 AM

Apr 2018
Only thing I don't agree on is Irozuku not being in the category Best Animation.
Jan 15, 2019 5:48 AM
Aug 2018
Malevolent-Fae said:
TheDucc1 said:

Read the other replies before commenting.

hell no...
I am not reading everyone's replies
AoT > anime
Jan 15, 2019 5:53 AM

Nov 2016
You didn't even mention the biggest problem you have regarding it, which is that you actually care so much 😬

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 15, 2019 5:56 AM
Sep 2018
Gator said:

He's talking about the boku no hero on ice awards
Profile views make me feel loved
Jan 15, 2019 6:03 AM

Jan 2017
Pylia said:

Yes, Kakegurui aired in 2017 originally, and I agree it shouldn't be listed, even if Netflix released it later on.

Well there is a big problem with that, if they categorized it as a 2017 anime (CR-Awards wise), they only would have a small portion who watched it legally and that's bad publicity for CR.
Jan 15, 2019 6:17 AM

Feb 2018
Wow, another guy complaining that an awards show doesn't reflect his personal tastes.....
Jan 15, 2019 6:25 AM

Mar 2018
People still take anime awards seriously? Anyways...

- I don't need to google it, I know. I was surprised to see it nominated too, despite it being a 2017 anime and not 2018. Maybe they're giving older anime a chance? The ones that didn't get nominated in their own year? Last year they did the same thing with Kimi no na wa and Koe no Katachi.
In the end anime award's main goal is not to show which anime is good or bad, but rather to give recogonition to anime that deserve it. So kakegurui being there makes sense. It definitely won't win, just there for publicity.

2) why the hell is rascal does not dream of bunny girl senpai not in the AOTY category and yet zombieland saga is (now don't get me wrong i think zombieland is good but not AOTY good) rascal deserved a place in that category.
- That's just personal opinion. I can name a ton of anime that I think deserve to be in the AOTY category more than Bunny Girl Senpai. But the world doesn't work that way now, does it?

3) hina vs anzu is not a goddamn fight scene!!! the other fights in the category have more action than hina vs anzu, levi vs kenny's squad (S3 EP2) that was a proper fight scene like the other nominees and was awesome as hell and should get the recognition it deserves.
- I agree with you on this. Even within the Hinamatsuri anime itself there are fights that are better and can be called 'actual fights'
Jan 15, 2019 7:10 AM
Sep 2018
Malevolent-Fae said:

the problem is it aired in summer 2017, can you see my point
Jan 15, 2019 7:13 AM
Sep 2018
81Koyomi_Araragi said:
People still take anime awards seriously? Anyways...

- I don't need to google it, I know. I was surprised to see it nominated too, despite it being a 2017 anime and not 2018. Maybe they're giving older anime a chance? The ones that didn't get nominated in their own year? Last year they did the same thing with Kimi no na wa and Koe no Katachi.
In the end anime award's main goal is not to show which anime is good or bad, but rather to give recogonition to anime that deserve it. So kakegurui being there makes sense. It definitely won't win, just there for publicity.

2) why the hell is rascal does not dream of bunny girl senpai not in the AOTY category and yet zombieland saga is (now don't get me wrong i think zombieland is good but not AOTY good) rascal deserved a place in that category.
- That's just personal opinion. I can name a ton of anime that I think deserve to be in the AOTY category more than Bunny Girl Senpai. But the world doesn't work that way now, does it?

- I agree with you on this. Even within the Hinamatsuri anime itself there are fights that are better and can be called 'actual fights'

i see what you mean with #1 but they should at least have another show a long side kakegurui because kakegurui is the only anime in the nominees that aired in 2017 all the rest were released in 2018
Jan 15, 2019 7:16 AM
Sep 2018
Pylia said:
Aside from your first point, I don't see much of an issue aside of "it's your opinion."

Yes, Kakegurui aired in 2017 originally, and I agree it shouldn't be listed, even if Netflix released it later on.

As mentioned, Bunny Girl being not listed for AOTY is nothing more than, your opinion, since I, for example, wouldn't have nominated this show for any awards, and even thinking about one is as far from my position towards the show as it gets. So live with the fact that people preferred the one consensus beloved show over the other.
We aren't talking about a case like movie nominees, where a movie like Boku no Hero, whose sole existence is the promotion of the main series, gets listed instead of Mari Okada's directorial debut, Maquia. In this case, I could understand complains, especially because the nomination of this movie, much likely, will get BNHA fans to vote for it even if they haven't watched it since it is from their beloved series, making it for the over movies, which are, by all my preferences for Liz to Aoi Tori, well deserving of this recognition, possibly falling behind it in the end.

Last point, no Hina vs. Anzu is a fight, it's not the "best" when you ask me, but nominating this one is fair enough since we have a clash/conflict of two characters with each over, they simply don't use fists in a common way.

they played a game that's all they did, i can think of many fights that can take hina vs anzu's place that deserve the spot, imo
Jan 15, 2019 7:19 AM
Jan 2015
They explained why Kakegurui is in this years awards, its because Netflix aired it in 2018 for NA. They're not going to count it as a 2017 series, because they don't want to promote illegal streaming.
My Queens

Jan 15, 2019 7:23 AM
Sep 2018
-Mahesvara said:
They explained why Kakegurui is in this years awards, its because Netflix aired it in 2018 for NA. They're not going to count it as a 2017 series, because they don't want to promote illegal streaming.

well either way they are gonna end up promoting illegal streaming for the people who can't afford netflix
Jan 15, 2019 7:46 AM
Sep 2017
100% agree with you prophet_dan. Bunny Girl Senpai was a masterpiece IMO, and if write in ballots were a thing for this award show, I believe it would still make top 3.
Also, for the VRV best continuing anime award, no My Hero Academia? But Black Clover, and Dragon Ball Super made the list? Are they trying to say sorry for MHA winning everything last year?
Jan 15, 2019 8:01 AM
Sep 2018
TappiocaPudding said:
100% agree with you prophet_dan. Bunny Girl Senpai was a masterpiece IMO, and if write in ballots were a thing for this award show, I believe it would still make top 3.
Also, for the VRV best continuing anime award, no My Hero Academia? But Black Clover, and Dragon Ball Super made the list? Are they trying to say sorry for MHA winning everything last year?

well none of the seasons have started in the last few weeks of a year and ended in the year after like black clover or DBS have done
Jan 15, 2019 8:06 AM
Nov 2018
The awards aren't the best but nothing is perfect nd they probably will get better with time, at least this year Boku no hero won't win every award. Also the hina vs Anzu contest don't deserve to be in the best fight category as it is a contest not a fight. There are a few fights in the series that are better than that.
Jan 15, 2019 8:09 AM
Nov 2018
Pylia said:
prophet_dan said:

they played a game that's all they did, i can think of many fights that can take hina vs anzu's place that deserve the spot, imo

As I said, "it wasn't the best," but this "game" is a showdown of two characters, with even rather high importance for the continuing narrative, and the comedic execution in it was also well done. A fight doesn't solely consist of action there're different components to it, and that's I why think it's ok to list it here, even if there're better ones out.

8 don't think it's ok to list it here if there are better ones out just because this is the "best fight category" we are talking about.
Jan 15, 2019 8:19 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
prophet_dan said:

2) why the hell is rascal does not dream of a bunny girl senpai in the AOTY category and yet zombieland saga is (now don't get me wrong i think zombieland is good but not AOTY good) rascal deserved a place in that category.

CR hyped it to hell and back over trans stuff, or I remember seeing that on their twitter to some degree of prominence back when it was airing. They've done the same with Lily for Girl of the Year to a smaller extent on their twitter during the whole awards thing, and without explicitly stating the trans overhead, but they didn't do that for any other nominees for that category that I saw, so I'm not convinced that it's operating in a vacuum.

Basically, considering CR's well-known advocated political beliefs, and the even louder political beliefs of some of the people that have openly admitted to being on their selection committee, I wouldn't be surprised if Zombieland and Lily both got a bit of a boost to their selection out of some desire for advocacy, which, yes, does make me doubt the legitimacy and the integrity of their nominations somewhat, given my parameters here would be less about making a social statement with who people got to choose from, and would instead be more focused around trying to find a way to make the selection pool to be rooted in things like audience numbers and audience reception based on whatever information I have.

If this were the case, though, it could explain the reasoning behind why a series that - going by MAL numbers here - got a notably better reception from a wider audience got passed over in favor of another that performed notably lesser in both categories.

There's absolutely nothing concrete to substantiate that from what I know, though, so I certainly wouldn't call it a justification to jump to conclusions and claim this to be the absolute case. As far as I've been able to find, they don't really go public about why they pick certain series, so I have no way of knowing in any way concrete whatsoever. But...yeaaaah, based on my perspective as somebody who primarily has access to MAL's numbers, and the fact this is presented as popular vote, there's a few series that I'd probably say Bunny Girl should be given as an option over. Some of which the political angle wouldn't apply from, mind you, such as Hinamatsuri or Megalobox.

It could also be that CR's selection committee is dogshit and couldn't find their ass if they were sitting on their own two hands, so they just weren't aware of things like reception and breadth and forgot that they were choosing things for other people to pick from so just filled it with personal favorites, like if I put in Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san as an option for the majority to choose from. Sheer ignorance would certainly go a ways to explain why an anti-hero protagonist got nominated in the antagonist category, at least, so that's also something I believe to be a possibility.

We could also just chalk it up to the selection committee not feeling the series was good enough. I very much have the impression that Bunny Girl is a series that has a good amount of critical and audience dissonance and, ostensibly being composed of pundits more than anything, they could align themselves with critical consensus over popular consensus, which seems kind of asinine in something framing itself as a popularity contest, but meh. The answers you get to put down are at their mercy either way, what they say goes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ That's the beauty of the CR awards. It puts up the facade of being publicly chosen, but it's really a multiple choice question where every answer is considered correct, but it's still falling into a selected, few, pre-determined answers to choose from.

Either way, no matter what's the case, I'd probably just outright advocate ignoring CR. Like, not just the awards, entirely. Not out of consumer activism and trying to demand a better product or awards or whatever, just out of fuck CR. Sit here and say how much they blow and then don't pay for their services and try to avoid supporting them financially as much as possible. Works great for me.

prophet_dan said:

To CR, the anime industry outside of themselves is basically non-canon until it becomes relevant to themselves, hence this situation with Kakegurui being on the awards list. It's stupid, but nothing can be done about it.

prophet_dan said:

Ainz is also on there as an antagonist, which is probably the most jocular thing of all. It's just structurally not the case whatsoever and it could only really extend from ignorance on what constitutes a protagonist and an antagonist. Protagonist does not exclusively extend to "hero," et cetera et cetera.

You're probably just putting too much faith in the judgement of the people on their selection committee, honestly, albeit I don't know shit about the scene you're bringing up, so take my opinion on the relevance it has to their incompetence with a grain of salt.
ManabanJan 15, 2019 9:02 AM

Jan 15, 2019 8:24 AM

Aug 2018
When I didn't see Levis vs Kenny's Squad on the "best fight scene" list, everything lost sense and the Anime Awards became shit, as usual.
Jan 15, 2019 8:38 AM
May 2017
The only awards I will recognize are awards given from Japan as they are the target audience of the majority of anime released last year and so.

Though, if other anime other than Violet Evergarden won the Best Animation,

From the technical perspective, the quality, use of 3DCG and cinematography is outstanding, and I will never understand how it will lose to other anime from the animation perspective.

Unikkatil said:
So, who exactly won? Anzu won as the best girl, am i right?

She's the best girl of last year after all.
Shiun-eJan 15, 2019 8:43 AM
Jan 15, 2019 11:42 AM

Jan 2018
Who cares?

For the record Bunny Girl is too hyped. Of course it wasn't going to be up for AOTY. The last overhyped anime was BNHA and it won fucking everything.

You see issue, yes?
Jan 15, 2019 11:54 AM

Sep 2015
My only problem with the anime awards is that it's exists. Same goes for Grammy, Academy Awards and all that shit.
There are no value in them.
Jan 15, 2019 1:30 PM
Sep 2018
Tsunshine-Chris said:
Who cares?

For the record Bunny Girl is too hyped. Of course it wasn't going to be up for AOTY. The last overhyped anime was BNHA and it won fucking everything.

You see issue, yes?

rascal is only nominated for 3 categories, deffo overhyped... not
Jan 15, 2019 1:35 PM

Jan 2018
prophet_dan said:
Tsunshine-Chris said:
Who cares?

You see issue, yes?

rascal is only nominated for 3 categories, deffo overhyped... not

It is overhyped. That's why you can't trust votes for it. Same with BHNA.
Jan 15, 2019 1:47 PM

Aug 2010
i wouldnt pick any of those choices for aoty - relatively weak year in terms of all new shows but i would pick golden kamuy if anything

Momonga from overlord is a protagonist, not an antagonist. He shouldnt be in that category. Protagonist CAN be evil.

as with every award show - not like any of it matters. Its all chosen by randoms with random tastes. The anime community is particularly weeby too, so its not too hard to predict winners regardless of supposed quality of show in question
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 15, 2019 1:51 PM

Apr 2017
Daestair said:
Gator said:

He's talking about the boku no hero on ice awards
Lmao that’s a pretty accurate description.
Jan 15, 2019 1:56 PM

Feb 2018
Is it just me or are there less variety of shows than last year?

Ah well, CR awards aren't really important in the grand scheme of things
Jan 15, 2019 2:22 PM

Oct 2013
It's alright. Just watch anime and you can always hope for next year awards of CR.

More topics from this board

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - 11 hours ago

19 by Nurguburu »»
4 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

95 by old_geezer »»
5 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - Yesterday

37 by laymey »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top Favorited Anime

LittleStar - 6 hours ago

19 by DarkShame2 »»
58 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 3 )

Akuya - May 1

110 by rbp_pbr2 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.