Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2019 6:00 AM

Jun 2015
Since I'm a big Disney/Pixar fan since I was a little kid I was curious to know if other anime fans like Disney too.

If you feel like it, you can tell us your favorite Disney/Pixar movies.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2019 6:03 AM
Feb 2017
Not really, but some of their movies are good like Inside Out.
Jan 14, 2019 6:36 AM

Jun 2015
BlakexEkalb said:
Not really, but some of their movies are good like Inside Out.

Inside Out is very good! I know some people who usually don't watch animated movies but they liked that one.

Jan 14, 2019 7:58 AM

Jan 2018
I am also among the Disney fanatic, i am not really interested into it, but i do like their moves, they are really good.
Jan 14, 2019 8:00 AM

Aug 2009
Not much of one beyond Kingdom Hearts these days.

Jan 14, 2019 8:01 AM

Jun 2014
I don't mind the older Disney works, but I don't really care for the 3DCG stuff that they do these days.

Some of them, like "Toy Story" are alright, but none of the 3DCG works will ever be as good as the older, hand drawn 2D stuff.

Jan 14, 2019 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
They're decent. Rarely go above good but rarely go below average either.
Jan 14, 2019 9:01 AM

Nov 2017
Oh yes, I looooove Disney. A Goofy Movie is my Disney favourite movie and it's underrated too. Speaking of underrated Disney movies, The Emperor's New Groove is another one I highly enjoy watching
Jan 14, 2019 9:06 AM

Feb 2017
I grew up with Disney, like everyone else, so I like some of their movies. I wouldn't really call myself a fan of them though, since I don't really follow them or what they do.

That being said, I did really enjoy Treasure Planet, Emperor's New Groove, Aladdin, and a couple others. Those would be in my top 3 though. :okhand:

Jan 14, 2019 9:12 AM

May 2013
I like 'Nightmare Before Christmas' for it's Oogabooga lol
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jan 14, 2019 10:44 AM
Feb 2016
I do like a lot of the Disney stuff they put out, even if I'm not really a big fan of their whole monopoly schtick.

Jan 14, 2019 11:12 AM
Aug 2016
I used to be a Disney fan when I was little. Not so much now though.
Jan 14, 2019 11:13 AM
Apr 2018
Oh yes! I don't like old Disney movies though, I prefer the "new" ones (post Toy Story) but I guess I'm more of a Pixar fan.

Up, Wall-e and Cars are among my favourites. I recall watching the Cars' special dvd set and the story of how Lasseter came up with the idea for the movie. So cool.

The shorts showed before the actual movie are quite funny too, like the one with the toys hiding from the baby and the old man playing chess.
Jan 14, 2019 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
Well, I think I still like them very much, but it's more liking Disney for hand-drawn movies and liking Pixar for animated movies. Inside Out and Moana were so beutiful and nobody convince me otherwise.
Others were just okay.
removed-userJan 14, 2019 2:35 PM
Jan 14, 2019 12:35 PM

Oct 2018
The Emperor's New Groove is the best Disney film, don't fight me on this.

Otherwise, er Gravity Falls was cool and uh that one song from HSM2 was Godly(I Don't Dance), don't like their recent stuff except for Moana though.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Jan 14, 2019 12:36 PM

Jun 2015
Lion King is great, universally.
I generally like Disney and Pixar films.

Jan 14, 2019 1:01 PM
Jul 2018
Anoona said:
Very rare that I like Disney. Some of their movies are cool, I appreciate the message that Inside Out tried to communicate for example. But overall, the vast majority of their work I’m kind of annoyed at the way they handle certain things.

What things that they handled are you annoyed about? Genuinely curious, it's been some time since I've seen these films.

I thought Wall E was too preachy and a bit boring and the Princess and the Frog movie was strange as hell even for a kids movie.
Jan 14, 2019 1:53 PM

Dec 2010
My favorite Disney animated film is Tangled I have watched as much as a little girl has watched Frozen I remember every detail whenever I rewatch it.
Jan 14, 2019 1:59 PM
Jan 2019
Disney owns Marvel, so yeah, I like Disney. Age of Ultron sucks though.
Jan 14, 2019 2:03 PM

Jan 2018
Xplaaainz said:

You know what, you made something rude about Marvel being owned by Disney, Age of Ultrons are really an amazing and you disrepcted it.
Jan 14, 2019 2:08 PM

Apr 2015
Yes, Sleeping Beauty is still one of my favorite animation movie alongside Who framed Roger Rabbit. I also liked as a kid movies that focused on animals so Bambi, 101 Dalmatians, Aristocats and The Fox and the Hound etc. definitely were movies I loved to watch.

I grew up reading "Disney" comics and watching Donald Duck short animations (tho I think best short animation is Mickey Mouse Runaway brain). I still think some of the comics are one of the best stories ever created, I'm glad I finally got around buying Mickey et l'océan perdu to my collection. Last week I talked with my friend about W.I.T.C.H magazines for nostalgia and now I wanna reread them lol.

Starchaser said:
Oh yes, I looooove Disney. A Goofy Movie is my Disney favourite movie and it's underrated too. Speaking of underrated Disney movies, The Emperor's New Groove is another one I highly enjoy watching

A Goofy movie is a treasure
Jan 14, 2019 2:41 PM
Jul 2018
There is just the one thing I don't understand in Disney hypes. Didn't especially Treasure Planet, but Atlantis too, deserve so much better and more love than they received? Also Cap and Capper. So underrated.
Btw Treasure Planet and Lilo & Stitch are Disney's best movies. No fighting here. Moana and Up are coming close then and then Nemo, The Lion King and Inside Out. I'll never be ashamed to admit that I cried at Up. And almost at Inside Out's end and the scene, when sadness tried to comfort that toy... and Moana.
removed-userJan 14, 2019 2:48 PM
Jan 14, 2019 3:24 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Mainly Mulan & Brother Bear. But Lion King's pretty great also.
Jan 14, 2019 3:49 PM

Nov 2018
FacelessVixen said:
Not much of one beyond Kingdom Hearts these days.

Yeah facts, no other reason to be a fan. They still need to make a sequel to An Extremely Goofy Movie that shows Max and Roxanne grown up.
Jan 14, 2019 4:06 PM

May 2008
I LOVE Disney. I always go watch their movies at the theatre. I buy their DVDs, and I've also started a funko pop collection. I'm a HUGE fan.
Jan 14, 2019 6:15 PM

Dec 2015
I love Disney movies for the most part, though I’m not crazy about all these live action remakes they’ve been doing lately
Jan 14, 2019 6:39 PM

Feb 2018
I like, appreciate or "can appreciate" a handful of Disney films from my childhood, but that's about as deep as it goes. "My Childhood" cuts off right around the time of the first Toy Story movie.
Jan 14, 2019 6:45 PM

Aug 2009
I am a HUGE fan of Disney. I rewatch the classics periodically and my favourite movies would be Mulan, Pocahontas, and Tarzan.

Seiya said:
I don't mind the older Disney works, but I don't really care for the 3DCG stuff that they do these days.

Some of them, like "Toy Story" are alright, but none of the 3DCG works will ever be as good as the older, hand drawn 2D stuff.

And I completely agree with this ^
Jan 14, 2019 7:13 PM
Jan 2019
hotsushikun said:
Xplaaainz said:

You know what, you made something rude about Marvel being owned by Disney, Age of Ultrons are really an amazing and you disrepcted it.

Age of Ultron sucks compared to the trailer.
Jan 14, 2019 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
Anoona said:
HungryForQuality said:

What things that they handled are you annoyed about? Genuinely curious, it's been some time since I've seen these films.

I thought Wall E was too preachy and a bit boring and the Princess and the Frog movie was strange as hell even for a kids movie.

There’s a lot of things I’m annoyed by, and generally, Disney movies and shows are consistently plagued by the same problems that leave a bad taste in my mouth. There are individual crictisms I could give various movies but I’ll just identify three common trends I’ve noticed across their body of work here.

First, most of the time Disney tends to gravitate to very frustrating black and white, good and evil conflicts, which is just not how the world works. Even for children, I think it’d be better to present more human conflicts because there are too many people, even adults, who can’t think outside of a black and white worldview, and it creates a problem when that sort of mentality is so prevalent and nobody can step outside of their own head and understand that you can’t box everything into easy simple categorizations of good and evil. The viewing experience itself just feels more flat because I struggle to be interested in such bland pure good or pure evil characters and sometimes just cringe.

If the characters weren’t already boring enough in their over-simplified black and white dichotomies, I’ve also noticed Disney characters tend to be recycled anyway on top of that, reinforcing my boredom with them, with personalities being copy pasted onto different bodies. It’s sort of crazy to watch some of these characters and understand that they’ve literally done absolutely nothing but change either the animation or the actor from a different movie. And sometimes they don’t even change the animation much, with same face syndrome being a persistent theme in Disney animations.

Though it is often seen in their movies, I have especially noticed something to be prominent in Disney channel tv shows. Disney for some reason has the cruelest sense of humor. Watching their shows I find I am continually disturbed as I watch people making sarcastic to straight up undeniably abusive comments (primarily on physical appearance or racial stereotypes or being nerdy in some way) or even physically harming each other, followed by canned laughter. And these sorts of jokes make up the majority of the show’s comedy. It’s sort of awful to watch over and over again harmful stereotypes and abuse be reinforced and promoted and treated so lightly. And it goes from awful to disturbing when you understand that the target audience is children.

These are just some of the common threads I’ve noticed. It might seem excessively critical but humans are imitative beings and I have watched many children and even full grown adults very often mimic the terrible ideas and behaviors treated so lightly by Disney to significantly harmful effect. So I have a sort of cynical, critical relationship with Disney.

It really depends on the target audience. Little kids under ~6, 7 are just confused and get irritated by grey morality. They don't have the mental capacity to understand it. Their brains are just not capable of understanding complex morality and they also don't have enough insight in other people to get these things, because their empathy is still in development.
Also you have to learn proper moral rules and what's right and wrong first, before you could learn about nuances. It's really a thing of "you have to learn the rules first, before you can understand why people are breaking them."
I personally also dislike idealized heroes without something else to them and a preachy story message, but I still think you need them somehow for a certain target audience.

Inside Out (because you mentioned it) tho felt like it was mainly targeted to kids around Riley's age between 10-14, so they could come with a more interesting premise and message.

The other thing: problem is that there are many kids, who just don't get it and take these jokes as facts or don't get that it's different to make them with your best friend than someone you don't know well. I still hope that most get the difference at a certain age.
As far as I can remember the live action series and movies (except for the animation movie remakes, they are okay) from Disney always have been silly or just plain boring with too many uninspired cliches.

I don't view harming physically as that strict tho. Kids always loved slapstick humor and every medium has enough of it. They are hopefully told that they shouldn't hurt people. I mean, I watched horror movies and played shooter with ca 10 and couldn't hurt a fly.
removed-userJan 14, 2019 11:35 PM
Jan 14, 2019 11:37 PM

Oct 2014
If you're referring to animated Disney stuff, then no, not really. Unfortunately they own a lot of other franchises I like (SW, MCU, etc) so I'm bound by their hold on me for now.
Jan 15, 2019 9:08 AM

Oct 2010
I really like most of the Disney princesses movies. My favorite is a tie between The Little Mermaid or Frozen.

Also really liked Lilo and Stitch and the cartoon series for it when I was younger.
Jan 15, 2019 5:31 PM

Oct 2013
My favorites are beauty and the beast, lion king, little mermaid, and toy story franchise. :)
Jan 15, 2019 6:09 PM
Jul 2018
Anoona said:
Maneki-Mew said:

It really depends on the target audience. Little kids under ~6, 7 are just confused and get irritated by grey morality. They don't have the mental capacity to understand it. Their brains are just not capable of understanding complex morality and they also don't have enough insight in other people to get these things, because their empathy is still in development.
Also you have to learn proper moral rules and what's right and wrong first, before you could learn about nuances. It's really a thing of "you have to learn the rules first, before you can understand why people are breaking them."
I personally also dislike idealized heroes without something else to them and a preachy story message, but I still think you need them somehow for a certain target audience.

Inside Out (because you mentioned it) tho felt like it was mainly targeted to kids around Riley's age between 10-14, so they could come with a more interesting premise and message.

The other thing: problem is that there are many kids, who just don't get it and take these jokes as facts or don't get that it's different to make them with your best friend than someone you don't know well. I still hope that most get the difference at a certain age.
As far as I can remember the live action series and movies (except for the animation movie remakes, they are okay) from Disney always have been silly or just plain boring with too many uninspired cliches.

I don't view harming physically as that strict tho. Kids always loved slapstick humor and every medium has enough of it. They are hopefully told that they shouldn't hurt people. I mean, I watched horror movies and played shooter with ca 10 and couldn't hurt a fly.

They may not understand it at first but inevitably they will. When I was a kid, I know I never got irritated or confused looking at a more complex movie, I just didn’t quite process the movies quite at as much and later on I understood fully. I was still capable of loving the movie. It’s just a thing where Disney is especially flat to a point of detriment. And people proceed to never grow out of that way of thinking. They’re never challenged to see something different. And a little bit of my own perspective comes in with that too where I think children can be a whole lot smarter than people give them credit for if they challenged them to think more and didn’t underestimate them and give them purely material that would be deemed simple enough for their age. I’d say that it’s a good thing to confuse them a little if it makes them think. If you treat a child like a child they’re gonna think like one. After all, that’s all that was ever asked of them.

As for the sorts of jokes and behaviors treated lightly by Disney, even worse for that problem is just the fact that it’s not even okay in the context of the show. It’s totally mean and abusive and borderline racist at times but it’s easy to look over it when they play these laugh tracks and such. I wouldn’t even say most of these things jokingly to a friend or a family member, and the way they’re said in these shows is not meant humourously, the characters are legitimately just being cruel and the humor purely comes from the laugh track that follows. In that context, that’s probably where to me I guess the slapstick physical harm humor started to feel less slapstick, because the more subtle verbal abuse was already being handled in such a poor way. Anyway, my mentality, if it’s not even acceptable in the show as humor, then it’s really not acceptable as a model for children. It’s really just about their particular way of handling it where it comes across as being a weird distorted reality where totally non-humorous, legitimate abuse is funny and that’s the whole show. And I have witnessed full grown adults mimic these behaviors. I don’t have much faith in people to understand the difference when I see this >u>

Nobody’s gonna watch a horror movie or play a shooter video game and imitate that, it’s not human nature, you need to already be mentally unstable in the first place, and the distinction between fantasy and reality is pretty clear. But with Disney it’s much easier to imitate it and not understand what’s wrong about it when it’s essentially just portraying everyday human interaction. Because it’s so easily glossed over by everyone, it’s normalized, and then people THINK they’re joking but in reality they’re abusing, because the characters they imitate, despite being some of the most disgustingly abusive characters I’ve ever seen, are ultimately treated as good and their attacks as lightheartedly comical. It’s just a much more subtle beast, that blends with reality a little too closely.

(OT: Tbh I was and am working with kids between 7-12, so I was rarely around younger kids and just read some studies for university neurobiology courses. But when I was around younger kids like 4, 5 yo from co-workerd and relatives, I've to say that they primarily understand basic emotions and divide their world into "these people are nice and these others are mean". It's not that they are little adults, who just have to learn. Their brain actually can't process many things in the same complex way, because their synaptic connections are that efficient and therefore they need adults, who give them structure and tell them what's right and wrong.)

And ofc you can't remember this, because you view your memories with your current mind and not how they actual have been. So you never know, if a memory is 100 % accurate. They are not like a saved movie file, they are influenced from your feelings back then and what you are thinking about them now.
I remember that I didn't fully understand Spirited Away for example, but had fun with it anyway. Tho who knows... you can't trust your own childhood memories SO much.

Yeah, I see that, but what I've seen from the live action series, I thought that they are just lazy in first place and repeat old school cliches and character stereotypes again and again.
removed-userJan 15, 2019 6:12 PM
Jan 15, 2019 11:56 PM
Nov 2018
My favorites are The Lion King, Toy Story, Shrek, Big hero 6, Zootopia (not that gr8 but cuz of some good memories)
Yasuhiro-Jan 16, 2019 12:02 AM

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Jan 16, 2019 1:24 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Toy story 2 is probs my fav disney movie. Big Hero 6 is close second, with tarzan, wall-e, I don't think there's a disney movie I dislike, maybe the live action stuff.

Apart from high school musical. I fucking love high school musical, guilty pleasure of mine
Jan 16, 2019 1:29 AM
Jul 2018
yeah, i like treasure planet, hunchback of notre dame, lion king ,mulan, and frozen
inside out is probably my favorite animated movie of all time
Jan 16, 2019 4:05 AM

Jan 2018
Yasuhiro- said:
My favorites are The Lion King, Toy Story, Shrek, Big hero 6, Zootopia (not that gr8 but cuz of some good memories)

Ehhh, Shrek is an Dreamworks film, not an Disney film.
Jan 16, 2019 4:07 AM
Nov 2018
hotsushikun said:
Yasuhiro- said:

Oh right! I didn't know. I feel so guilty about it now.

Jan 16, 2019 4:07 AM

Jan 2018
Yasuhiro- said:
hotsushikun said:

Don't be guilty, its just you don't know about it.
Jan 16, 2019 4:19 AM
Nov 2018
hotsushikun said:

Yasuhiro- said:

hotsushikun said:
Nah because it's so important to me. I should've searched thoroughly about these cartoons companies. But also" a Disney" not " an Disney" right ?
Yasuhiro-Jan 16, 2019 4:26 AM

Jan 16, 2019 4:22 AM

Jan 2018
Yasuhiro- said:
hotsushikun said:

Yasuhiro- said:

hotsushikun said:
Nah because it's so important. I should search thoroughly about these cartoons company. But also" a Disney" not " an Disney" right ?

Yeah, here is the list of disney films produced over the course of the years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films
Jan 16, 2019 4:34 AM
Jul 2018
disney is a shit company, but some movies are good, liked the older one's a lot more than the recent movies they put out (beside the marvel movies)
Jan 16, 2019 5:06 AM
Nov 2018
hotsushikun said:
Yasuhiro- said:

Nah because it's so important. I should have searched thoroughly about these cartoons companies. But also" a Disney" not " an Disney" right ?

Yeah, here is the list of disney films produced over the course of the years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films

Thanks, I've read it just now. "There’s nothing funnier than the human animal" "You must take your place in the Circle of Life"
Such a great man and also related quotes..
R.I.P. Uncle Walt

Jan 17, 2019 4:31 AM
Jul 2018
Anoona said:
Maneki-Mew said:

(OT: Tbh I was and am working with kids between 7-12, so I was rarely around younger kids and just read some studies for university neurobiology courses. But when I was around younger kids like 4, 5 yo from co-workerd and relatives, I've to say that they primarily understand basic emotions and divide their world into "these people are nice and these others are mean". It's not that they are little adults, who just have to learn. Their brain actually can't process many things in the same complex way, because their synaptic connections are that efficient and therefore they need adults, who give them structure and tell them what's right and wrong.)

And ofc you can't remember this, because you view your memories with your current mind and not how they actual have been. So you never know, if a memory is 100 % accurate. They are not like a saved movie file, they are influenced from your feelings back then and what you are thinking about them now.
I remember that I didn't fully understand Spirited Away for example, but had fun with it anyway. Tho who knows... you can't trust your own childhood memories SO much.

Yeah, I see that, but what I've seen from the live action series, I thought that they are just lazy in first place and repeat old school cliches and character stereotypes again and again.

No, no, I understand that. I’m a psychology nerd. I’ve studied child development and memory, when I refer to my old memories, I am also taking into account that I straight up could not think in a more complex way at that time. But Disney isn’t just that young of an age group watching, generally people grow up beyond that age range with Disney, and at some point it starts to be too simple. Disney doesn’t need to be that simple, there’s really only things to lose by presenting such a simplistic dichotomy. If they made it more interesting and nuanced, all that would change is that it would be a more psychologically productive and interesting experience for people in the later age group and the younger age group would remain happy with it despite not understanding everything.

I agree with that, they’re definitely lazy, they’re definitely cliche, they’re definitely stereotypes. I criticize that too. But in particular, what stood out to me upon noticing it was just the cruel, toxic nature of it all, that’s what disturbed me. It’s one thing to be poor quality, it’s another to straight up present abuse as funny and unserious to children.

Sorry didn't know and just want to say that. ^^

Well you are right about that and while I dislike preachy things, I think they are still better than a completely wrong message for kids. Almost all of these princesses movies might not be the best, but the good thing is that Disney has a lot of animal movies to offer too. These and some others are imo so much better overall. Some even drive away from the overly simplistic morals and characters / relationships.
I remember for example loving and hating Lilo's relationship to her sister tbh. and everything around that and besides the animal movies, that was the first one I have seen from Disney, where something else than a more or less fairy-tale-romance was in the center.

removed-userJan 17, 2019 4:35 AM
Jan 29, 2019 5:37 AM

Jun 2015
Amberdoll said:
I’m from a family that have been Disney fans for 3 generations.Im a huge fan

Your family must be amazing :)

Thank you all for your answers and for voting in the poll!

Mar 14, 2019 7:28 PM
Feb 2010
Guilty as charged to be honest. So that's a definite yes.

Mar 14, 2019 7:51 PM

Mar 2019
I find calling oneself "a Disney fan" to be even more nonsensical than calling oneself "an anime fan"; it's a pretty diverse thing made by different creative minds.

Disney is not a creative entity, it's a publisher and financier and the quality is ultimately determined by the individual creative minds of each individual work.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Mar 14, 2019 8:07 PM

Mar 2017
Yes. My favorite disney filsm are Aladdin, Finding Nemo, and Lion King
Jul 29, 2019 5:50 AM
May 2019
Yes I like Disney animated movies. My favorite ones are Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Snow White, Aladdin, Frozen, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

72 by Deyuko »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

21 by Taiyaa »»
56 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 6 hours ago

10 by BitChilly »»
60 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

9 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

39 by ProGoddess »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.