Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2019 9:35 PM
Aug 2018
The anime sounds like Third Aerial Girls Squad that one from Shirobako and I'm really looking forward for this but the studios thatare behind this seems a shit af berserk and that shitty mars anime.
Jan 9, 2019 3:27 PM

Sep 2017
Yeah, the CG planes in the PV looked pretty bad, but I'm still kinda looking forward to this. Hopefully it won't be too frequent or it'll look better in the show or some shit.
Jan 10, 2019 7:55 AM

Feb 2018
ProofByColor said:
Yeah, the CG planes in the PV looked pretty bad, but I'm still kinda looking forward to this. Hopefully it won't be too frequent or it'll look better in the show or some shit.

I think the planes are alright, but the character animations....oh boy, they look so bad and robotic.
Jan 12, 2019 1:20 PM

Sep 2011
Both studios have a subpar release list and the PV showed nothing of importance.
Jan 13, 2019 5:26 AM

Jul 2016
Funnily enough, someone said the exact same thing about Girly Air Force, one of the other shows airing this season
Jan 13, 2019 6:23 AM

Sep 2015
Thanks to Shirobako every anime with girls and aircrafts from now will get instanly the stereotype of a trash anime
Jan 13, 2019 8:34 AM

Sep 2011
shiro_kai said:
Thanks to Shirobako every anime with girls and aircrafts from now will get instanly the stereotype of a trash anime

It's totally Shirobako's fault. not the fault of, you know, the actual studios and their release history. Don't whitewash it.
Jan 13, 2019 8:48 AM

Sep 2015
Shirasho said:
shiro_kai said:

It's totally Shirobako's fault. not the fault of, you know, the actual studios and their release history. Don't whitewash it.

I'm not saying its not trash, but there is alot of indicatives that can make people recognize a potential trash anime beforehand (talking bear and Miko girl for example). Shirobako helped to make that one a little more visible I think.
Jan 13, 2019 8:53 AM

Mar 2016
@Shirasho
@shiro_kai
Or, you know, you could watch it and figure it out, instead of arguing about which cult ritual to practice to figure out whether something is 'trash.' But judging from this conversation what's the point. Everything is trash, right?
Jan 13, 2019 9:23 AM

Sep 2015
syncrogazer said:
@Shirasho
@shiro_kai
Or, you know, you could watch it and figure it out, instead of arguing about which cult ritual to practice to figure out whether something is 'trash.' But judging from this conversation what's the point. Everything is trash, right?

Exactly, 95% of the animes are trash and I like this way.
Jan 13, 2019 10:01 AM

Sep 2011
syncrogazer said:
@Shirasho
@shiro_kai

I'm not saying you are wrong in this situation, but that is an extremely idealistic mentality. You and me both are the last people who can claim this, but time is a finite resource. We can only do so much, and ignoring past trends when making a conclusion is a great way to waste time or set yourself up for failure. That is how America got Trump.
Jan 13, 2019 10:16 AM

Mar 2016
@Shirasho Well, I just ignored 'past trends' (as if the studio itself is enough of a 'trend') and watched the show. Thought it was a ton of fun. This is entertainment, all time spent on it is 'wasted.' Your argument might move me more if we were getting paid to watch anime, but we're not.

Turning this into some sort of cost-benefit analysis is misguided, because units of enjoyment are immeasurable and impossible to predict, and any attempt to measure it is entirely subjective and is always prone to self-manipulation; not to mention that concept can often beat out 'quality' in terms of interest or enjoyment. I don't know about you, but I'm not a robot who only wants the 'quality' box checked in order for a show to get past the filter. 'Setting yourself up for failure' to me is missing out on good fun because of the superficial. This isn't a business decision, and the outcome isn't binary (good or bad).

The folly of 'thinking like an economist' in daily life is how people die without having actually done anything in their lives.
syncrogazerJan 13, 2019 10:50 AM
Jan 13, 2019 4:15 PM
Sep 2015
Watched the first episode and enjoyed it for the combat scenes. I think the aircraft were nicely detailed and the air combat sequences kept my eyes glued to the action. The rest of the anime might be trash, but I like the combat animation so far.
Jan 13, 2019 7:40 PM
Dec 2018
syncrogazer said:
@Shirasho Well, I just ignored 'past trends' (as if the studio itself is enough of a 'trend') and watched the show. Thought it was a ton of fun. This is entertainment, all time spent on it is 'wasted.' Your argument might move me more if we were getting paid to watch anime, but we're not.

Turning this into some sort of cost-benefit analysis is misguided, because units of enjoyment are immeasurable and impossible to predict, and any attempt to measure it is entirely subjective and is always prone to self-manipulation; not to mention that concept can often beat out 'quality' in terms of interest or enjoyment. I don't know about you, but I'm not a robot who only wants the 'quality' box checked in order for a show to get past the filter. 'Setting yourself up for failure' to me is missing out on good fun because of the superficial. This isn't a business decision, and the outcome isn't binary (good or bad).

The folly of 'thinking like an economist' in daily life is how people die without having actually done anything in their lives.

You. I like you. I like how you think. Thank you for saying this, I feel that a lot of people on this site need to read that.
Jan 14, 2019 12:31 PM

Sep 2007
Well it's better than Berserk 2016, at least.
Jan 14, 2019 5:38 PM

Oct 2010
shiro_kai said:

People came away from Shirobako thinking of Third Aerial Girls Squad as "trash"? That's news to me.

You are the only one here saying anything negative about Third Aerial Girls Squad. You misread the OP's post - he said he was immediately excited for this show because he wanted to see a show like that (and, not mentioned, it's from parts of the same team), but then he was dehyped because of the studios.

What Shirobako did for me was create a deep heartache over Third Aerial Girls Squad not being a full show.
Jan 14, 2019 6:19 PM

Sep 2015
nDroae said:
shiro_kai said:

People came away from Shirobako thinking of Third Aerial Girls Squad as "trash"? That's news to me.

You are the only one here saying anything negative about Third Aerial Girls Squad. You misread the OP's post - he said he was immediately excited for this show because he wanted to see a show like that (and, not mentioned, it's from parts of the same team), but then he was dehyped because of the studios.

What Shirobako did for me was create a deep heartache over Third Aerial Girls Squad not being a full show.

I remember that the director at that arc in Shirobako didn't even knew what he was going to do with the ending and the production team had many issues and suffered A LOT during the whole development of it and in the end, somehow, something was delivered. It was certainly not the healthiest example of an anime production and development.

But yeah, their real ova was fun.
Jan 14, 2019 6:45 PM
Mar 2017
at least this anime is better than Girly Air Force.
Jan 14, 2019 6:45 PM

Oct 2010
@shiro_kai Yes, that was loosely based on Tsutomu Mizushima's experience directing Girls und Panzer at Actas, which suffered from multiple delays, culminating in the great shame of having its final two episodes released two months after the show was originally meant to end.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-05/girls-and-panzer-delays-episode-no.6-airs-no.5.5-next-week
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-10/girls-and-panzer-last-episode-slated-for-january-9-by-at-x
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-15/girls-and-panzer-delays-episode-no.11-tentatively-until-march

Despite that, the show they released is generally well-regarded, and started a popular franchise, with Mizushima still at the helm at Actas. So I don't think there was any intent to depict Third Aerial Girls Squad as bad; compare the in-show director's previous work Jiggly Jiggly Heaven, which had production issues and was regarded as a embarrassing blot on his career record. I think it's clear the staff were proud of what they had delivered at the end of the show.

It's probably fair to say that Shirobako glosses over the underlying main problem deserving blame for most production issues, which is that the industry itself has standardized "hellish" schedules and shoestring budgets inadequate for staffing needs. https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/02/09/lets-listen-to-anime-creators-for-once-netflix-is-no-savior/

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2019

125 by Abeke »»
Mar 30, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2019

54 by BlaizeV »»
Jun 25, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2019

32 by badabass »»
Jun 5, 2020 1:04 AM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2019

31 by badabass »»
Jun 5, 2020 12:14 AM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2019

24 by badabass »»
Jun 4, 2020 11:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.