Forum Settings
Forums

Akira Miyazaki, Writer of World Masterpiece Theater Anime Titles, Dies at 84

New
Nov 26, 2018 4:09 PM

Jul 2009
Akira Miyazaki, the screenwriter who was responsible for writing half a dozen of Nippon Animation's World Masterpiece Theater anime titles in the 1970s and 1980s, died on Sunday from bile duct cancer. He was 84. Japanese news agency Jiji Press reported Miyazaki's death on Monday evening.

Miyazaki, who grew up in Tokyo and began his career in the film industry in 1961 at the production company Shochiku, had no background in animation before writing for animation productions. Prior to the mid-1970s, his screenwriting was limited to films and television dramas, and he eventually made his directorial debut in 1971 in Naitetamaruka.

After his rise from screenwriter to director at Shochiku, Miyazaki was introduced by a friend to animation director Masaharu Endou at Nippon Animation. Endou, who worked on the landmark production of Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy) and was one of the leading directors at the newly established Nippon Animation, invited him to work on a new anime title. In 1977, Miyazaki made his debut as an anime screenwriter in Araiguma Rascal (Raccoon Rascal, pictured).

Rascal was the third production in what would become Nippon Animation's World Masterpiece Theater series, anime adaptations of various works of children's literature. Miyazaki went on to write for five more productions in the series, including Perrine Monogatari (The Story of Perrine), Tom Sawyer no Bouken (The Adventures of Tom Sawyer), and Ai no Wakakusa Monogatari (Tales of Little Women). He retired in the early 1990s, but returned briefly in 2001 to write special episodes for the conclusion of Perrine Monogatari.

Miyazaki's funeral will be held on Thursday, November 29, in the city of Wako in Saitama Prefecture.

Source: Jiji Press
arsonalNov 26, 2018 9:39 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Nov 26, 2018 4:30 PM
we back

Aug 2015
I'm unfamiliar with their work but regardless, rest in peace.
Nov 26, 2018 6:02 PM

Apr 2018
How strange ... I have not found any news about the subject. I feel disturbed by what is happening right now.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Nov 26, 2018 8:34 PM
Nov 27, 2018 7:30 AM
Nov 2016
I grew up reading his picture books. I really loved them and I'm glad that I crossed paths with him.
Thank you for delivering all of these.
Please rest in peace.
Nov 27, 2018 6:49 PM

Oct 2010
I nearly have a heart attack whenever someone named Miyazaki dies on this site. Nevertheless he will be missed.
Dec 9, 2018 12:00 PM

Jun 2015
RIP, I loved Rascal when I was a kid.
Dec 9, 2018 12:08 PM

Jan 2009
rest in peace legend

More topics from this board

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - May 1

7 by Rhae »»
3 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

22 by Kaikaidou »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Ikoku Nikki' Receives TV Anime

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

14 by Memore »»
7 hours ago

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 30

17 by RobertBobert »»
8 hours ago

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for July

Aiimee - Jul 6, 2022

7 by miipsy »»
Yesterday, 3:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.