Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2018 6:37 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
A very emotional victory for Taichi.

Holy shit, words can't even describe how he feels right now. I also believe in Chihaya's dream. Anything is possible in this manga.
Nov 17, 2018 3:03 AM

Sep 2010
The win for the series is well deserved for Taichi. I don't think Arata should get the final round. (But I just can't help but feel that the mangaka will root for Arata, so... :/ )

Anyways: Go, Taichi!!
Nov 17, 2018 8:33 AM
Mar 2015
Chihaya came back from 8 cards down to win after Taichi showed #18 which she interpreted as telling her that she could take the S cards
Some controversey at the end of the second match between Taichi and Arata. Because of his promise to let Taichi win if it came down to luck of the draw, Arata covers the last card and tells Taichi to take it saying you win this round but I won't let you win the last round
Arata did eat Yuu's bento consisting of octopus weiners and fried Victor fish despite what Yuu 's cooking did to him last time( He did call it a very unbalanced meal)
Nov 20, 2018 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
https://tdxtreme.wordpress.com/2018/11/16/chihayafuru-volume-39-chapters-199-203/

"I think it’s now pretty safe to say that the general opinion is this manga tumbled downhill very fast and very resolute with this final Meijin Challenger match. It impacted our team’s motivation greatly because it’s always sad to see how a used-to-be-good title kills its best characters with its own hands, so atm I have no idea when the next release will be."

So, this is a quote from TDX, the person who runs the scanlation group that translates Chihayafuru, and it left me not only speechless but also incredibly confused...

From the looks of things, they're probably going to drop it since they don't like it anymore. The problem here is that if they do end up dropping Chihayafuru, then it's going to end up in a limbo since it's very doubtful any other scanlation group would pick it up.

Not much we can do other than brace ourselves for an eventual announcement about TDX dropping the project at this point. I just wish they would explain why they feel this way even if it's spoilery, because I seriously don't see anything wrong with the recent developments of the manga and I also don't know where this "general opinion" about the manga going downhill is coming from.
removed-userNov 22, 2018 10:29 AM
Nov 24, 2018 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
Mashima1Taichi said:

Euh, I understand you didn't see the raws of rest of the chapters? because Taichi lost and it seems that everybody feels it's the end of the world and that Arata wining is something none expected and doesn't make sense or whatever..
i'm very thankful for TDX for all what they did before but i'm disappointed with what they did :( like weren't they translating the manga for ALL chihayafuru fans? because while Taichi fans feel down and disappointed THERE ARE STILL PLENTY of fans who expected Arata's win (like myself) and find the manga still good and thrilling , and if TDX weren't translating for all of us shouldn't they have said it? for us to look for another neutral group or something?
But this is only us worrying, they didn't say they'll drop it right?

Yeah, I hadn't read the raws but I had a suspicion that it was something that happened after chapter 203 that made them feel this way.

But really, Arata winning was pretty much a given when he said to Taichi he was going to crush him in the third game. He was finally going to play seriously and when he does that not even Shinobu stands a chance against him.

Looks like the people on TDX scans are a bunch of Taichi fanboys who can't accept how Suetsugu Yuki writes her own manga.

And I both agree and disagree about them translating the manga for "all" the fans. Most of the time a scanlation group picks up a project because they're also interested in it, so they translate it for themselves and also for the fans. But yeah, it totally sucks that we will have to wait even longer than before for new chapters because they're acting like a bunch of stuck up Taichi fanboys.

About them turning over the project to another group, I'm gonna post something they said on their own blog here.

tl;dr: They basically said that they're the only ones who can translate this manga the right way and that they've invested too much in the project so they won't let go of it.

And yes, they didn't outright say they will drop the manga, but there's still a high probability that it may happen. If we take into account the fact that they had to look for outside help to finish chapters 200 - 203 and now this, it's pretty clear that they don't like the manga anymore.
removed-userNov 24, 2018 2:41 PM
Nov 24, 2018 2:44 PM

Jun 2007
The thing about Arata-Taichi match.. it's really not just about who you like better. I think if you drop your likings aside (personally I like Taichi better), you'll just -feel- that Taichi can't win... not as the person he is at the moment at least.

About TDX team... well I was always so grateful to them for doing such a good job at translating, so if they decide to drop, that'll be their decision and that's it... what they've done already is yuuuge. Hopefully we'll get new translated chapters someday, somehow. Doesn't look like the series' end is far anyway.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Nov 25, 2018 8:46 AM
Jul 2018
Mashima1Taichi said:
@VerySad_Weeb well... they did lot for us to read the chapters for free without us doing anything... please don't forget.
(and honestly that scared me, I thought I wanted to learn Japanese by reading a manga I like was a great way as I was told so I picked chihayafuru but?? if it's this hard then I should choose something easier i guess?)

And @Sorvarin I agree, I understand that loving a character so much make us watch him very closely, we will know better than those who don't about his true strength BUT at the same time we should notice that we will ignore the other character's strength too ..none is paying much attention to Arata's power ..Suetsugu is dropping descriptions here and there telling how much he is scary but doesn't give it much explaining and people doesn't notice or choose to ignore it ..is Arata really not strong enough to be able to win with 18 cards of difference? oh hell he is!!

and we can add that his Dream to become Meijin is a fundamental point to the story just like Chihaya becoming Queen.. Taichi's character development is a very interesting detail that fills the story with so much life!! still it isn't one of those pillar things that we use to build a story upon!! the romance might be one of them instead that's why I strongly expect that Taichi will end up with chihaya (UNLESS HE GETS A DREAM OF HIS OWN then realizing his dream will be a pillar thing and the romance will take the side instead)

BUT i disagree with you in one thing, Taichi could have won, hell anyone could win against anyone in Karuta, it's unpredictable!!
just remember Chihaya always looses to Shinobu chan, Shinobu chan always looses to Arata and Arata lost to Chihaya, Taichi lost to Arata and Arata lost to Murao and Murao lost to Taichi ... small.. very small things can make Suetsugu-sensei choose her winner and it's for the sake of the STORY!!!

When Arata played against chihaya I felt weird, I couldn't feel Arata's usual self and style at all and I was one of those who couldn't see anything else when Arata was" in panel" -if I may say!!- I could tell immediately that he wasn't the Arata Suetsugu used to draw when playing against a strong oponnent BUUUUUT everyone (in the manga) kept saying that he wasn't off game and he lost and I couldn't complain ...The story needed him to loose, Chihaya had a power I couldn't deny if i'm honest with myself and Karuta is unpredictable! (and again soon, Chihaya looses to Shinobu chan who looses to Arata ...see what I mean?)

I never expected Taichi to win.. based on all what I understood from previous chapters I never did, I rather expected Taichi to finally find himself BUT HE STILL didn't ..this is the only thing that still confuses me.

And I expect that Arata will beat Suou Meijin based on all what had happened and FOR the story.
Sometimes I feel like i'm impatient with the chapters just to see if my expectations are correct or not lol

I am grateful for what TDX has done so far, I'm just raising awareness that they're dissatisfied with the manga and that from now onward it will take longer for new chapters to come out or that they might end up dropping the project altogether. They already had to ask for help from the fans in order to release chapters 200 - 203 because their staff didn't want to work on Chihayafuru anymore, so that's a signal that the future is bleak for us.

The only "problem" that I have with this situation is, from what I gathered, that their dissatisfaction comes from Taichi losing the third match. To me, they're coming off as butthurt Taichi fanboys, and I say this as someone whose favorite character is Taichi. If you look at the quote in my first comment, they consider what Suetsugu Yuki did to Taichi as "killing" him, and this affected them to the point of making them lose their motivation to work on the project. If that isn't a butthurt kneejerk reaction then I don't know what it is.

Like I said, they've done an incredible work and I'll be forever grateful to them for translating such a beautiful manga. It's just that I think they shouldn't let their emotions affect the project and this is exactly what is happening.
Nov 25, 2018 10:54 AM

Jun 2007
Mashima1Taichi said:
I never expected Taichi to win.. based on all what I understood from previous chapters I never did, I rather expected Taichi to finally find himself BUT HE STILL didn't ..this is the only thing that still confuses me.

Friend, you basically just voiced why Taichi couldn't have won, so I suppose we actually feel the same.
And also I think that fundamental things of this manga are 1) Chihaya's dream 2) Arata's dream 3) Taichi finding himself. But that's just my opinion.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Nov 26, 2018 2:53 AM
Apr 2014
VerySad_Weeb said:

The only "problem" that I have with this situation is, from what I gathered, that their dissatisfaction comes from Taichi losing the third match. To me, they're coming off as butthurt Taichi fanboys, and I say this as someone whose favorite character is Taichi. If you look at the quote in my first comment, they consider what Suetsugu Yuki did to Taichi as "killing" him, and this affected them to the point of making them lose their motivation to work on the project. If that isn't a butthurt kneejerk reaction then I don't know what it is.

Like I said, they've done an incredible work and I'll be forever grateful to them for translating such a beautiful manga. It's just that I think they shouldn't let their emotions affect the project and this is exactly what is happening.

They've already stated that their issue has nothing to do with who won and who lost but how did things play out during the 3rd match.

https://tdxtreme.wordpress.com/2018/11/16/chihayafuru-volume-39-chapters-199-203/#comment-4020

"-Oh, and for the record: my dissatisfaction comes not from who won and who lost (if you follow discussions around this manga, you probably know I’ve predicted that looooong time ago and had no slightest doubt about it, even trying to warn those who hoped to see a different outcome to save them some hurt), but from the way it was done – far more incomprehensible, violent, exaggerated and confusing than anything this manga did until now."

Honestly though, that 3rd game was really disappointing. Was expecting some intense rivalry, instead the author showed us only the ending where one of them got completely destroyed. Made it seem like Taichi only showed up to get recognition from Arata. What a downer.
Nov 26, 2018 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
Cordie said:
VerySad_Weeb said:

They've already stated that their issue has nothing to do with who won and who lost but how did things play out during the 3rd match.

https://tdxtreme.wordpress.com/2018/11/16/chihayafuru-volume-39-chapters-199-203/#comment-4020

"-Oh, and for the record: my dissatisfaction comes not from who won and who lost (if you follow discussions around this manga, you probably know I’ve predicted that looooong time ago and had no slightest doubt about it, even trying to warn those who hoped to see a different outcome to save them some hurt), but from the way it was done – far more incomprehensible, violent, exaggerated and confusing than anything this manga did until now."

Honestly though, that 3rd game was really disappointing. Was expecting some intense rivalry, instead the author showed us only the ending where one of them got completely destroyed. Made it seem like Taichi only showed up to get recognition from Arata. What a downer.

Here's the thing, not everyone is dissatisfied with that outcome and maybe what Taichi was looking for all this time could have very much been recognition from Arata. If we look back at the story, Arata never looked at Taichi as a real friend but as a rival or an obstacle in his way, we even got all that talk about wanting acknowledgement from someone in these latest chapters, so I'd say the foreshadowing was all there. So to Taichi, for Arata to finally view him as a friend, was a lot more meaningful than him winning the match.

As for how things played out during the match, it was stated in chapter 203 that Taichi was tired, and instead of resting and eating something to replenish his energy he went to take a stroll outside in a cold weather. Meanwhile, Arata did rest and eat, so it's only logical that he had an advantage. I agree that Arata winning by 18 cards was a bit ridiculous, but I was pretty damn sure he would end up winning the third match.
removed-userNov 26, 2018 8:32 AM
Nov 26, 2018 3:42 PM
Nov 2018
VerySad_Weeb said:

They have every right to stop translating the manga if they feel like it. They have no obligation to the fans, be it Arata or Taichi ones. Don't forget, they have been doing it for free, out of passion, and that passion has to be fueled by something. If that something is their likeness towards a certain character, so be it. In the end everyone benefited from it.

After years of doing these scanlations they are bound to get burned out, especially when they feel like they are not awarded enough. And guess what, I totally understand them. There is a reason why Taichi is the most popular character, and that is his character development which helped the readers understand and even relate to him. So when all of that is thrown out of the window because the author can do anything she wants, and suddenly forgets about what went on for the past chapters, just so she can show who's in power?

Why did she overpower Arata so much? Does she want us to show us that hard work only brings more suffering? Everyone had it hard at some point, and knows the feeling of failure after wotking hard for something but not achieving it. But this narration has been going on for way to long and for fans that have been putting up with this all this time, it may just be enough. And I can guess for those that put more than just 10 minutes into reading the new chapter, it may be like a reasonable time to stop. Why continue something that doesn't bring you any joy? No matter what decision they take, it is up only to them. Maybe after the ending they'll decide to continue, or if the author finally gets her shit together.
Throwaway1204Nov 26, 2018 3:46 PM
Nov 26, 2018 4:16 PM
Jul 2018
Throwaway1204 said:
VerySad_Weeb said:

They have every right to stop translating the manga if they feel like it. They have no obligation to the fans, be it Arata or Taichi ones. Don't forget, they have been doing it for free, out of passion, and that passion has to be fueled by something. If that something is their likeness towards a certain character, so be it. In the end everyone benefited from it.

After years of doing these scanlations they are bound to get burned out, especially when they feel like they are not awarded enough. And guess what, I totally understand them. There is a reason why Taichi is the most popular character, and that is his character development which helped the readers understand and even relate to him. So when all of that is thrown out of the window because the author can do anything she wants, and suddenly forgets about what went on for the past chapters, just so she can show who's in power?

Why did she overpower Arata so much? Does she want us to show us that hard work only brings more suffering? Everyone had it hard at some point, and knows the feeling of failure after wotking hard for something but not achieving it. But this narration has been going on for way to long and for fans that have been putting up with this all this time, it may just be enough. And I can guess for those that put more than just 10 minutes into reading the new chapter, it may be like a reasonable time to stop. Why continue something that doesn't bring you any joy? No matter what decision they take, it is up only to them. Maybe after the ending they'll decide to continue, or if the author finally gets her shit together.

Yes, I know they have every right to stop whenever they want or do whatever the fuck they want with it, I've never stated otherwise. Can't I just give my opinion about this situation without everyone jumping at my throat?

Like I said more than twice already, not everyone has a problem with what happened past chapter 204. Everyone has their own interpretation of a work, and to me the outcome of the 3rd match was pretty obvious even if it was a bit ridiculous (Arata winning by 18 cards was completely unnecessary) and what happened after was in line with all that talk about wanting acknowledgement from others in these past chapters. The foreshadowing was there, it's up to the readers to catch on to it or not. And the author didn't overpower Arata, he was overpowered since the very beginning of the manga, so I don't know what's the problem here.

Also, I pointed out more than once that I'm incredibly grateful to them for translating this manga. No other group ever picked Chihayafuru up, so if it wasn't for TDX we would've never been able to read it. But if they do something that I don't agree with then I'll voice my opinion about it. If I'm not being rude towards them or anyone else then what's the problem?
Nov 26, 2018 6:44 PM
Mar 2015
the result was pretty obvious. The only thing Suetsugu determined in her camp in late August was the exact score. Taichi was lost the moment he gave up the nasty karuta he learned from Suo. in the second. match. Taichi should have won the first match, but lost when Arata made a claim for a card that turned out to be wrong. Arata intentionally lost the second match by letting Taichi take the last card with his hand hovering over the care.
Suetsugu only shows the beginning and end of the last match. Most of 204 is taken up with Chihaya and Shinobu talking about playing a 5 game match.
Taichi 's condition was so bad in 203 that even Arata could detect that he had lost control of his emothions as he rambled on and on about Chhaya
Nov 28, 2018 11:59 PM

Jul 2016
Hey guys, I just caught up with the manga and didn't expect to find spoilers of the raw releases here so that's a bummer... but besides that is there any confirmation on the fansub dropping the manga? They have every right to do so but just doing it because they didn't like the result of the match seems somewhat childish imo. That being said, I'm glad Arata won and I don't think it's bad writing to end a match like that. I think it'd be great if Arata became the Meijin and then Taichi takes the title after him.
Anyways, do you know when I can find the raws?? Thanksss
LaauRamoneNov 29, 2018 12:06 AM
Nov 29, 2018 9:45 AM
Jul 2018
LaauRamone said:
Hey guys, I just caught up with the manga and didn't expect to find spoilers of the raw releases here so that's a bummer... but besides that is there any confirmation on the fansub dropping the manga? They have every right to do so but just doing it because they didn't like the result of the match seems somewhat childish imo. That being said, I'm glad Arata won and I don't think it's bad writing to end a match like that. I think it'd be great if Arata became the Meijin and then Taichi takes the title after him.

There hasn't been any confirmation about TDX dropping Chihayafuru, just speculation by fans given the recent events,. Those events being that TDX had to look for outside help to release chapters 200 - 203 because their staff didn't want to work on it anymore and now them saying that they lack motivation to keep working on it so they don't know when they're going to release the next chapters. So it's safe to say that there's a possibility that they might drop it, it just isn't anything conclusive.

I never intended for people to start talking about spoilers from raw chapters here, they started doing that on their own. I understand it's wrong, but there's not much we can do now.

You can find the raws here: http://taichiat.boards.net/thread/4/spoilers-raws-translations

Needless to say, there's an extreme bias from Taichi fans in that site, so I wouldn't pay much attention to the comments there and just focus on the chapter summaries.
removed-userNov 29, 2018 4:12 PM
Nov 29, 2018 9:55 AM

Jul 2016
VerySad_Weeb said:
LaauRamone said:

There hasn't been any confirmation about TDX dropping Chihayafuru, just speculation by fans given the recent events,. Those events being that TDX had to look for outside help to release chapters 200 - 203 because their staff didn't want to work on it anymore and now them saying that they lack motivation to keep working on it so they don't know when they're going to release the next chapters. So it's safe to say that there's a possibility that they might drop it, it just isn't anything conclusive.

You can find the raws here: http://taichiat.boards.net/thread/4/spoilers-raws-translations

Thank you for answering me!
I hope they do not drop it or if they do, there will be another group that can take care of it:(
Dec 3, 2018 9:51 AM

May 2016
Woah so much information but I am rotting for Arata, I think he deserves to win more than Taichi.
Dec 5, 2018 12:28 PM
Mar 2015
Iatheia has now translated chapter 204-208 on the Taichi Appreciation Thread
Aug 22, 2020 8:12 PM

Apr 2019
GOOOO TAICHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.