Forum Settings
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2018 6:01 PM

Sep 2017
Nice ending epilogue. I was confused in the animes to how Touma's memory stuff worked, but this is clear in the light novel. And that ending line-Classic.

“To liken the human body to a computer, your hard disk was utterly fried. If there is no
data left in your brain, just where are these memories supposed to be?”

“Isn’t that obvious?” replied the transparent boy. “In my heart.”

Nice end to volume 1. I hope to fnish the other chapters, even though they will take a long time.

BTW, Fortis931 is a nice gamer id. Cool magic name.

Also,

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Oct 10, 2018 11:23 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Been such a long time since I seen anime S1, it felt very familiar reading this, and I m surprised at how engaged I was, almost none single boring moments.

About Touma losing his memory, I got more emotional during the anime, maybe already knowing all of that lessed the pack, it was surely sad, but he was fated to lose it...
Things I haved notice are that Touma with his brain cells destroyed, memory completely wiped out IS fairly different from older Touma, he does feel like a more generic MC before losing his memory, I mean very quickly falling in love with Index, and the whole way he goes about his own teenage romcom life.
Touma after the memory wipe out is more apprehensive, more concerned with his surrounds, which is obviously due to his condition, but all in all, he just feels like a more calculative sort of person, if I were to compare both, seems like getting his memories wiped clean almost made him more mature and reflective of how much of the youth generation spends their days.

In short he become a much less generic character, far more distant in a way from everything and anyone. Actually enjoyed him quite alot before the memory wipe.
Already know the plot till S2 end, but I very much look forward to look on the inner development Touma will get these next 13 volumes.
Mar 9, 2019 2:47 PM

Jul 2009
So yeah, just got a new Kindle Paperwhite because of student discounts and decided to read this series for my first light novel.

After finishing the first volume, I can say that the characterization is much better here than in the anime. Misaka is more badass, Index is less annoying, and Stiyl and Kanzaki have more depth. Touma however is still plain as ever, but I guess he fits the protagonist archetype of this genre.

The writing is layman and sometimes even immature, but I don't consider that a bad thing since it fits the nature of the series. I hope the author will further explore the "Science vs. Magic" aspect because the anime was lacking in that.

The art sucks, but I'm guessing most LNs have the same problem.

Looking forward to reading the next volumes!
Mar 10, 2019 10:11 AM

Jul 2009
Nezperdian said:
Skittles said:

The art in Toaru's LNs is the weakest point. The colorless pages look like scribbles compared to most LNs out there where they go full detail.

Oh sweet that's good to hear then. I recently read some sample chapters of other LNs on Amazon such as Overlord and Saga of Tanya the Evil; their illustrations are indeed much better.
Mar 11, 2019 3:20 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Nezperdian said:
Skittles said:

The art in Toaru's LNs is the weakest point. The colorless pages look like scribbles compared to most LNs out there where they go full detail.

The art after vol11-12 takes a dramatic improve, you wont find it soo beautiful as some of the best LNs but I dont think you can call the art of later volumes bad, at all.
It has alot of nice illustrations.
Dec 3, 2023 5:30 PM

Aug 2020
Oh that was truly a great beginning. Also, nice to have a better view of first season in these volumes. Starting vol. 2.

Jan 7, 4:54 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
“Hey, do you know what a Railgun is?”
“Hm?”
“It’s some sort of battleship weapon that fires metal shells
using superpowered electromagnets. The principle’s the same
as a maglev train.”
Clink. The girl flicked the token into the air with her thumb.
It whirled through the air before landing back on her thumb.
“…It’s apparently something like this…”
Precisely as she spoke…
An orange beam of light lanced right past Kamijou’s head
soundlessly. It was actually more of a laser beam than a lance.

Haha, I bet you all saw it in front of your eyes when you read it xD

Finally after years I decided to start with the Index LN. I am someone who loved Railgung so much, but then found the Index anime adaptation just bad. I don't want to go into too much detail as the anime would definitely be off-topic here, but there really is a huge difference between the adaptation and the actual LN.

A great volume, that's all you can say, a perfect start for the franchise. But nobody can tell me that Stiyl is 14 lmao, he's over 2 metres tall, smokes and has tattoos xD.

-DxP-Jan 7, 5:40 AM

More topics from this board

» Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 04 Discussion

KitsuFrost - Apr 25

0 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 25, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 03 Discussion

Playcool - Oct 22, 2018

6 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 23, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 2 Discussion

-DxP- - Feb 25

1 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 20, 2:44 PM

» 20th Anniversary discussion

khoisharky - Apr 9

3 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 10, 6:04 AM

» What is different about new testament?

Igreja - Nov 24, 2022

5 by nyugvo6 »»
Dec 13, 2023 11:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.