Forum Settings
Forums

Today is my 5th Anniversary on MAL - so... why did you join

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 12, 2018 7:51 PM

Mar 2016
1. idk this site hasn't changed my habits this much so im not sure how to answer that question
2. im an organization freak and i need to track how much and when i watch everything
3. tracking every episode of every anime the moment i finish it. also i find the seasonal lists useful because i like watching seasonal stuff
Oct 12, 2018 8:19 PM

Aug 2015
I joined because this was much better than typing the show names and my rating on the Notes app on my IPad.
Oct 12, 2018 8:35 PM

Apr 2017
i think i just sorta ended up here

sadly.
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Oct 13, 2018 6:54 AM

Sep 2017
1. I had a written list and a list on my phone which I used to log what anime I had seen/rating/how many episodes etc.... which I actually still have.
2. A couple months after I started the written+phone lists I looked up a way to have an anime list and thus I found MAL.
3. I'm able to track the anime I've seen, find more anime suited to my tastes and track anime that is yet to be released.

My List
Hall Of Quotes
Set By Transience
Oct 13, 2018 7:25 AM

Nov 2011
I mostly joined for the database. It made finding shows to watch a lot easier. The listing function was welcome also.

I didn’t participate in the community much for the first few years.
Oct 13, 2018 11:48 AM

May 2014
I wanted to keep track of what I was watching and this was a good solution.

I don't have any weeb friends irl. So I thought it'd be nice to be able to talk about anime with people.

It's nice to be part of a community~
Oct 13, 2018 12:10 PM

Oct 2018
I usually read and write comments on some websites before joining this site.
There's no specific reason joining this site, I just did that.
Fav part of this site is People in here are straightforward and more interesting than they're on social media. So, it's good opportunity to learn about them.

Holding on is believing that there's only a past. Letting go is knowing that there's a future.
Oct 13, 2018 12:12 PM

Apr 2015
I joined because the latin american website where I kept my list went offline and its replacement wasnt any good. Thats where people in my community started talking about MAL even more and I decided to join.
Oct 13, 2018 12:33 PM

Dec 2011
1. What did you do to support your anime/manga habit before joining this site?
2. Is there a specific reason why that made your join MAL?
3. What's your favorite part of the site

--

Before I joined MAL my watch count was tiny, and they tended to be a handful of long-running series, which I mostly watched relatively fast. If I forgot what episode I was up to I would just look in my browser history. I had never read a manga at that point.

I found the site through a site listing various "top anime rankings", one of which was MAL's. I didn't join the site for several weeks after this, and eventually did because it would be a good idea to start keeping track of what I was watching, which was shifting away from the hundreds-of-episode series to the 24-26 episode series. I had no intention of taking part in the community and my posts from the first couple of months are few and far between.

I've gradually explored other areas of the site over the years, becoming more or less active in one area or another over time. I don't really have a favourite part of the site, but I guess the most useful is still the one that I originally signed up for - the list features.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 13, 2018 1:26 PM

Jan 2015
1. What did you do to support your anime/manga habit before joining this site?
2. Is there a specific reason why that made your join MAL?
3. What's your favorite part of the site

1) Nothing, just watched

2) No, I just randomly joined one day.

3) The freedom to customize my profile, anime list and manga list anyway I want oh and its large anime and manga database
Oct 13, 2018 1:40 PM

Jan 2013
I joined MAL just 2 months after I started watching anime, and it's the first tracking site I used. I remember that I searched for a good method to find new shows to watch, and I found out about MAL's recommendation feature. The site looked useful in general, so I joined. My favorite thing about MAL is active community, you can see all the time that the site is alive.
fuyukiOct 13, 2018 1:44 PM
Oct 13, 2018 1:49 PM

Oct 2018
I didn't join MAL, MAL joined me.

Questions b/c I wanna:

1. I wrote all the anime I watched by hand and read a bit of manga on the side
2. To find those yaoi-hands manga because it looked funny
3. Manga search because wow the shounen-ai and yaoi is so fucking funny to look at; sometimes there's some good manga though so it's a win-win

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Oct 13, 2018 1:56 PM

Sep 2017
I got into anime last year, watched about 10 series and then i could no longer find anything to watch. So i started using MAL to find new shows, and after a few months decided to join to be able to participate in forums as well.
Oct 13, 2018 2:19 PM

Jun 2007
I joined because I watched anime.

When the fuck did they start requiring a certain minimum of characters to post a comment?

Oct 13, 2018 2:28 PM

Apr 2017
1. I wasn't using any kind of list to track what I have seen for years. My memory is pretty good, so generally I did remember the series I saw and what I want to watch, as such I didn't feel much need to do so. I occasionally visited MAL to check information about anime series or characters, but I was actually using AniDB more for this purpose.

2. In the end I decided to make MAL account (I also considered AniDB that I used more at the time, but I found MAL to be a lot nicer and easier to personalize), since I got to the point where I used to have quite a few hiatuses during which I stopped watching anime for a bit, while keeping many unfinished. Then when I returned, I wasn't sure anymore at which episode I quit. That could be quite annoying.

However I also found it quite annoying to remember and add every anime series that I have seen through the years, which kept me from making that decision earlier. But in the end I decided it's better to just make it. It is also nice to see the statistics as I later found out, so I think that it was the right decision.

3. My favorite parts of MAL would be the list, of course. Then also episodes discussions, and as I recently found out, clubs are very nice too.

For a long time after joining, I was using MAL for list alone, and to look up information about series. I mostly stopped using AniDB after I joined MAL, since it's more convenient to just use MAL at that point.

I saw some clubs, I was even invited to one of them shortly after joining. But that one turned out not to be too interesting, nor active, so I didn't pay the feature much attention afterwards. I also didn't pay much attention to the forums initially. I liked to read other people's opinions about episodes that I was watching for a long time, but I was mostly used to just read comments under episodes on KissAnime, and therefore I didn't use MAL for the purpose after joining. Even after I stopped using KissAnime to actually watch anime, since they got a lot worse, I still used to read comments there for a long time. But then I thought that I should just discontinue that, so I was searching for the alternative way to do it. That's when I remembered that MAL has forums, so I checked if there are any discussions about episodes, and I started to use MAL for that purpose instead. And since I already had MAL account, I got curious about actually commenting, and not just reading, which I occasionally do since. Then I also started to occasionally read other forum topics, and to post my own posts there. I do consider it to be a bit of distraction from actually watching though, so I don't do it that often.

It was some time after I started using forums that I was recruited into a club again. This time it was a much more active club though, so I started to pay more attention to it. That is a fairly recent development, but I do like that club a lot, and so I started to consider clubs to be one of the best features of MAL as well.
MrZawaOct 13, 2018 2:32 PM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Oct 13, 2018 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
1. I briefly used the notes app on my phone for just a week before finding MAL
2. I liked the idea of taking part in forum discussions and obviously keep track of what episode I was up to in what anime
3. The information and data on shows, the forums, how u can put stuff in ur bio, thats all i can think of
Oct 13, 2018 4:49 PM

Dec 2008
Because I needed a place to rant and rave about shit.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Oct 13, 2018 4:58 PM

Oct 2015
the reason i joined was because i kept forgetting what chapter i was on with a manga or what episode
i was on with an anime...
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Oct 13, 2018 5:10 PM

Oct 2018
Hello I joined a day ago. I joined because I was looking for a good anime tracker, I got sick of the simkl anime tracker, it didn't save my plan to watch anime consistently and had annoying bugs. I love how myanimelist allows you to search for anything within an anime. My first anime was at 19, elfen lied, and I'm still 19. Only reason I ran into wanting to watch anime was because while watching a screw attack battle of marvel carnage vs lucy I had a flashback remembering watching the s1e1 of elfen lied back in 2004 in Russia on the tv when it aired. That crap scared me. So 14 years later I accidentally stumbled upon elfen lied again. I had no intention of getting into anime. I'm excited to use this list and the forum in the near future.
Oct 13, 2018 5:13 PM
Jul 2018
I wanted a place where I could catalog all the anime I've watched and I like talking about anime with other people who like talking about anime.
Oct 13, 2018 5:13 PM
Jul 2017
Its been an year since I joined and its been sick so many interesting anime. But unfortunatly my friends aren't interested in anime as much as me.
Oct 13, 2018 5:21 PM

Oct 2012
In 4 days, It would be 6 years since I've joined. I know that because I joined MAL on the same season SAO was airing, and SAO was sadly one of the first anime I watched outside of the scraps I was getting fed through Adult Swim at night.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

17 by LeonhartAugust »»
10 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

72 by MadanielFL »»
16 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

40 by Kruszer »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by AzafuseKingTora »»
19 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

52 by Lucifrost »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.