Forum Settings
Forums

Do you rate your favourite anime a 10 or not?Why?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 5, 2018 6:16 PM

Oct 2014
cipheron said:
Lunilah said:
I don't give anything a 10, i personally don't think they exist. My favorites aren't based on what makes an anime a 10 or near it either, it's something that can substitute my world for theirs, or kick my heart in the dick, then it's a favorite.

That isn't to say i don't include that in my ratings either, just everything has its draw backs, and that's okay.

I'm looking at the ratings in your graph, and you have almost nothing above 8 or below 5. So, what you've effectively done is just compressed your entire scoring system (bar some very rare exceptions) into a highly compressed four point scale. There's no real justification for highly compressing your scores like that then claiming it's somehow "more discerning" or something like that. you're basically just capping everything at 8 rather than making a decision about which of the 8s are better or worse.

The idea that "10" animes don't exists is pretty silly. A rating system is necessarily calibrated against what actually exists. 10 is the top animes, 1 is the worst animes. If you want a level that doesn't exist then that's 11 or 12, because 10 is *by definition* the goodness of the best animes out there. The numbers are completely arbitrary. If you just arbitrarily say that the best anime is a "9" then how does that *actually* demonstrate having more "taste" than someone else who defines the best anime as being a "10". In fact, the person giving *some* 10s is using an additional point on the scale compared to you, so they are in fact capable of giving more nuanced scores. In fact, since you only really tend to use the range of 6-8 for your shows, someone making full use of the 9 and 10 slot is using 6 quality-ratings compared to your general use of 4 quality-ratings.

Refusing to give high scores just gives the illusion of being discerning. The extreme end is the parody of the guy who only gives 1/10 for all shows, but grudgingly gives LOGH 2/10. That's not "discerning" because that person is not in fact demonstrating that they have the ability to assess the shows that they come across. Sure, that's the extreme parody, but it is in fact what people do when they deliberately reduce their scoring range. The opposite of giving everything 1/10 is not in fact to give everything 10/10: those are in fact both two sides of the same coin (a complete lack of ability to discern relative quality but for different reasons). The opposite of both is in fact to spread your scores among as many rating-levels as possible, because that forces you to make more hard decisions about how things rank relative to each other.
The reason things are "compressed" is because i don't watch many things that i don't think i'll like on some level. Especially given from the fact that the vast majority of what i watch is recommended to me by my friend Dask who mostly knows what i enjoy.

I'm aware what 10 means and how anime ratings are an aggregate of scores (obviously), but with that said a 10 will never exist. It's solely subjective for an anime to be a 10 or any score for that matter, and as i said i don't think an anime can ever be absolutely perfect and that is what a 10 is to me. If i come across one i'm not going to deny it's existence because i'll for some reason "refuse" to believe it can exist, i haven't refused anything i only said i don't think it does exist. Wanting something that doesn't exist like an 11 or 12 defeats the purpose of there being an attainable goal that will never actually be obtained. This next point about me demonstrating more taste compared to other people irks me, because you made that up all on your own.

I refuse nothing. Agreed for the rest.

Edit: The difference between Dask and I's shared anime and my total watched, is less than the amount that you and i have shared.
LunilahOct 5, 2018 6:28 PM

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 5, 2018 9:45 PM
Jul 2018
No because I only like it for personal/biased reasons. If someone asked me whether I would recommend the show to them, I would say no.
Oct 6, 2018 12:01 AM

Nov 2011
I mean- some of them. I recognize my taste isn’t exactly 10 worthy all the time though. Black rock shooter OVA? Doesn’t deserve a 10 but it fits my tastes perfectly.

Oct 6, 2018 12:37 AM
Apr 2018
I only rate based on enjoyment and I only gave my favorite show a 10/10.
Oct 6, 2018 12:42 AM

Nov 2016
If they're in my top 10 then I'll give them a 10/10 (although the only anime in my top 10 that I didn't give a 10/10 to is Nichijou)
Oct 6, 2018 12:52 AM

Aug 2018
Zachhh said:
alshu said:
Not.
There is a difference between what I like and what I value.

There is even stuff that I respect and score high but don't actually like.

But if you don't enjoy it or like it. You shouldn't rate it high at all.

I have almost no 10s and I have favorites, being objective doesn't makes you hate something, for example in my case every show that has 8 or more can be easily on my fav list. If I would rate everything 10 I would think of that as an insult to the shows that I think that they are really special or unique.

Also rating something special even tho you might enjoy it is a really humble and objective thing to do. Uthena is an example of this for me, the show had a lot of unapealling stuff for me and being honest I would give it around 6-7 but I gave it an 8, why? Because it has something unique and interesting with some moments that are epic or with a great meaning. The way the characters are displayed is amazing imo. I think that those kind of shows are a must watch because they represent something that is really hard to explain and you need to watch it to get it.
Oct 6, 2018 1:03 AM

Aug 2018
I don't think so unless it really deserves it. I do rate based on how much i enjoyed a show but originality and execution are important to me as well. From the ones i've given a 10, they've all been those that break away from the usual, but are also great in terms of execution. So most of my favourites recieve 8 or 9.
An anime doesn't have to be a 10 for it to be your favourite and vice versa. Besides if everyone started rating their favourite shows a 10, the mean scores would go out of whack and the highest rated anime will be the most popular ones and the lesser knowns won't get the recognition they deserve. So i think it's important to rate based on other factors as well
Oct 6, 2018 1:07 AM

Apr 2018
i tend to rate anime critically and take into account every aspects and not just enjoyment. i can rate something like a 7 and still consider it as a favorite.
Oct 6, 2018 1:12 AM

Jul 2015
I score my watched/read stuff by how I feel about it. If it's nothing super special then it'll be between 5-6, 7 if there were some things that made me wonder. 8-9 are shows that I really enjoyed and don't see many flaws within them. 10 for something that will always stay there with me.
Below 5 for me is garbage.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm
Oct 6, 2018 1:27 AM

Jan 2016
@ResKori All shows would ultimately have flaws though. As long as something is created by humans and is perceived by humans. It's all about that said perception. It's the one doing the perceiving that creates the value of a show. So, if I find something good enough to call it a masterpiece it's because I found that it has higher value than anything I've seen so far. If thats not how favorites work for you then you should rethink some stuff.
Oct 6, 2018 1:34 AM

Nov 2017
Rating a show is a completely subjective thing. If it were objective, everyone would rate it with the same score, and of course this does not happen. So I rate based on how much I enjoyed that show, so my favorites have a 10/10.
Oct 6, 2018 1:36 AM

Feb 2017
DaCraziGuy said:

"being objective doesn't makes you hate something"
"rating something special even tho you might enjoy it is a really humble and objective thing to do"
"Utena is an example of this for me, and being honest I would give it around 6-7 but I gave it an 8, why? Because it has something unique and interesting with some moments that are epic or with a great meaning."

These parts of your post highlight a problem that is very common among people who don't rate only based on enjoyment : you associate enjoyment with subjectivity and thus think that disregarding it makes you objective, which is nothing but an illusion : art is a subjective thing, there is no universal standard to evaluate it, so your judgement is not any less subjective now that if you took your enjoyment into account. The fact that you literally admit to not being honest when you gave Utena an 8 clearly shows that there is a conflict in your mind between two different kinds of standards that you should solve instead of simply disregarding one.
I have no problem with people who don't rate based on enjoyment if they do it while knowing that it is just another arbitrary way of judging, but the mere fact that some of them think it makes them objective baffles me.
Oct 6, 2018 3:03 AM

Jan 2016
I've never been the most critical so yes. Although, usually with my favorite anime I was more forgiving with their flaws. For instance, Mekakucity Actors was rather confusing upon my first viewing, but I was having such a good time with it that it ended up as a favorite of mine. Similar thing with Konosuba's first season, wherein I wasn't a big fan of episode 9, but at the same time that series gave me so many laughs that (among other things) it ended up as a favorite of mine (but I still prefer the second season).
Oct 6, 2018 3:21 AM

Jul 2017
When it comes to my favorite anime, the rating is always 9-10. I don't always give it a 10 since I rate it based on my overall experience of the anime.

Why I gave a 9: When my enjoyment was almost perfect. For example, I would have gave Kanon 2006 a 10 if it focused a bit more on Ayu (I know she already has a lot of screentime since she's the main heroine but I still wanted more) and expanded Yuichi and Ayu's relationship after their confession.

Why I gave a 10: When my enjoyment was perfect. Like where certain moments of the anime really hit me emotionally more than ever.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Oct 6, 2018 3:49 AM

Jul 2017
Every masterpiece is a favorite, but not every favorite is a masterpiece.
Oct 6, 2018 5:59 AM

Jan 2018
ProfessionalNEET said:
I never give a show a 10 because 10 implies perfection, which I believe is unattainable. 9 is the highest score I give, which I've given to a few of my favorite shows.

Wut,I thought 10 means masterpiece and masterpiece doesnt have to be perfect,it's nearly perfect.
Plus the score 10 exists for a reason so you should give atleast a show a 10 ,just saying.
Oct 6, 2018 6:16 AM
Sep 2017
Just because it's my favourite doesn't mean it's 10/10 is all I have to say in this matter.
FinNote said:
FinNote said:

Basically this.
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Oct 6, 2018 6:30 AM

Apr 2014
Yes, because my favourite anime are the ones that I enjoyed the most, and I rate purely based on enjoyment.
Oct 6, 2018 7:05 AM

Dec 2015
I don't have problems with giving an anime a 10/10 score. I don't think an anime can ever be 100% perfect but I still think an anime can feel as close to perfection as possible to me (I see it more like: 9.9/10 = 10. A 10 has the label Masterpiece, not Perfect).

What I tend to do is rate based on enjoyment and then reconsider based on the story and characters.
Not all the 9s and 10s are automatically my favourites because I just don't feel really attached to all of them. Sometimes I just don't really care about the characters or the story for no particular reason. That doesn't make it a bad anime. I can acknowledge that a story is good but that I don't enjoy it as much as other people for no particular reason. I'm not going to give a show like Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica a 5 just because I don't care about it as much as other anime. I wouldn't want to watch it again but just because I don't like it as much as other people doesn't mean it's a bad anime: I would even say it's better than most anime.

Someone can also be a Diabolik Lovers fan, obsess over the characters and decorate their whole room in Ayato merch and still acknowledge that a decent storyline is nowhere to be found in that anime. Therefore it will definitely not get a 10/10, even though it's definitely one of that person's favourites. Sometimes people just like bad shows and they can acknowledge that it's bad.
~~~
Oct 6, 2018 7:12 AM
Oct 2015
For me , enjoyment is the biggest factor ,all my favourite anime are the ones that I really enjoyed , so giving them a 10/10 is only natural . Anyways , just try to watch every show without feeling the need to score or rate it too seriously !
Oct 6, 2018 7:25 AM

May 2016
No. Because I'm aware that most of my favourite animes are based on the fact that I enjoyed watching them a lot and not objectively rated based on its value.
Oct 6, 2018 7:34 AM

Apr 2016
It depends on what you like and that anime's worth for a certain rating. Its definitely up to you to rate it if you think that's the perfect anime in your eyes but also keeping the fact in mind about on what basis you're giving it a 10 and of course enjoyment is one of the crucial factor in it. In my case I don't usually give a 10. In fact, very rarely but in whatever the case it achieves a masterpiece rating or whatever the boxes it ticked to be one is completely irrelevant as there is no certain fixed base as every anime is different in its own right.
TL/DR: If I give a masterpiece rating then its definitely my perfect anime there is no denying that.

Also you can have any number of favorites you can be open minded about any anime maybe that might become another of your favorites.
Dex_LionhartOct 7, 2018 6:48 AM
Oct 6, 2018 11:01 AM

Jan 2018
ecchiharemgeek said:
I only rate based on enjoyment and I only gave my favorite show a 10/10.

Used to rate anime that way,just change a little bit.
Oct 6, 2018 3:03 PM

Aug 2018
thizlas said:
DaCraziGuy said:

"being objective doesn't makes you hate something"
"rating something special even tho you might enjoy it is a really humble and objective thing to do"
"Utena is an example of this for me, and being honest I would give it around 6-7 but I gave it an 8, why? Because it has something unique and interesting with some moments that are epic or with a great meaning."

These parts of your post highlight a problem that is very common among people who don't rate only based on enjoyment : you associate enjoyment with subjectivity and thus think that disregarding it makes you objective, which is nothing but an illusion : art is a subjective thing, there is no universal standard to evaluate it, so your judgement is not any less subjective now that if you took your enjoyment into account. The fact that you literally admit to not being honest when you gave Utena an 8 clearly shows that there is a conflict in your mind between two different kinds of standards that you should solve instead of simply disregarding one.
I have no problem with people who don't rate based on enjoyment if they do it while knowing that it is just another arbitrary way of judging, but the mere fact that some of them think it makes them objective baffles me.

Well. the mindset you said I should go and score as 1 any show with the genres I don't like, example: reverse harem. I think knowing when you are biased is a good thing and you should step to the side. Again with Uthena, despite being a show that wasn't the most enjoyable is one of the most memorable, that is why I rated high. It had some moments that had a quality that you won't find in other shows.

Btw, I don't have 2 standards, pure enjoyment is not my only criteria. People that rates on pure enjoyment is the one that rate a generic harem show with a 10 despite being a clone from another show with no soul in it.
Oct 6, 2018 3:42 PM

Feb 2017
@DaCraziGuy
"With the mindset you described I should go and score as 1 any show with the genres I don't like."

-> No.

"I think knowing when you are biased is a good thing and you should step to the side."

-> Any judgement made about art is subjective, you are not being any more or less biased by giving a different score to a show.

"People that rate on pure enjoyment are the one that rate a generic harem show with a 10 despite being a clone from another show with no soul in it."

-> Maybe some of them do. I don't. Just because many inexperienced anime fans rate based on enjoyment doesn't mean everyone who rates based on enjoyment is inexperienced.
And at least these people are true to themselves, unlike those who think they are objective when they give high scores to shows they didn't even understand just because they are supposed to be great.
Oct 6, 2018 4:06 PM

May 2018
@CapitalistGod
if your favorite isn't something you highly value(to treat it as a masterpiece or near it), there's something wrong here. Hence, why I call it mental gymnastics. There shouldn't even be a dichotomy between what you love and what you find good in the first place.

This sounds like you think there is something very wrong with everyone who has different opinion or different value system...please rephrase!
Also what wrong with mental gymnastics or having dichotomy between what you love and what you find good. Isn't that a personal choice? Is there rule or something?

@thizlas
a problem that is very common among people who don't rate only based on enjoyment : you associate enjoyment with subjectivity

1. But it IS subjective. Even there are cases when different people like one thing but enjoy different aspects of it. And for example I can watch and have fun with crappy shows like Ace Attorney and others. Why should I score them high or maybe I should't enjoy them?
2. Having different standards doesn't mean that one wouldn't have 10/10 title for favourite. The topic here is that quality not always means enjoyment. Yes it's very likely that most of his/hers favourites would have high scores but also there would be (theoretically) some lower scored but entertaining and some higher scored but not enjoyable to him/her.

thus think that disregarding it makes you objective

Not many people regard their criteria as objective.
For example I don't have the education or knowledge to judge art, animation, writing, voice acting and musical score. I am doing it just by comparison with other anime titles...at least what I remember from those other animes...
The thing is that enjoyment is excluded from my score. Not sure how that can be a bad or "wrong", just a preference. Many people do the same.
alshuOct 6, 2018 4:10 PM
Oct 6, 2018 4:34 PM

Feb 2017
@alshu
" But it IS subjective"
-> Did you read the whole sentence ? My point was that disregarding enjoyment doesn't make you any more objective.

"I can watch and have fun with crappy shows like Ace Attorney and others. Why should I score them high or maybe I shouldn't enjoy them?"
-> It's all up to you, I don't care what standards you use, as long as you don't think they make your scores objective.

"Having different standards doesn't mean that you wouldn't have 10/10 title for favourite."
-> Yeah that's pretty obvious. But why do you say this to me ?

"quality not always means enjoyment"
-> Actually, for those who rate based on enjoyment, they are the same thing. For those who don't, they aren't.

"there would be (theoretically) some lower scored but entertaining and some higher scored but not enjoyable to you."
-> No, not for me, because I rate based on enjoyment. But for those who don't, yes, it must happen pretty often.

"The thing is that enjoyment is excluded from my score. Not sure how that can be a bad or "wrong", just a preference. Many people do the same."
-> I never said it was wrong. I respect this way of judging and I don't think it is any better or worse than mine. I just don't really understand why you would use it ; don't you watch anime to enjoy yourself ? Doesn't the fact that your scores are connected to your emotions give them much more weight and importance important for both yourself and the people who see them ?
thizlasOct 6, 2018 4:56 PM
Oct 6, 2018 5:58 PM

May 2018
thizlas said:
Did you read the whole sentence ? My point was that disregarding enjoyment doesn't make you any more objective.

Did you read my whole pt 1.? ;)))
There I am explaining how this exact type of subjectiveness can be removed because it can obscure the other qualities of the show.
And yes, your sentence has other problems like "an illusion" because there are art experts, evaluators ect that people can use as frame of reference.
Yes, also subjective but a bit closer to objectivity than some random hype train jumpers or self proclaimed elitists.

thizlas said:
It's all up to you, I don't care what standards you use, as long as you don't think they make your scores objective.

People are usually using "objective" as "a bit more objective than a fanboy". I am pretty sure that DaCraziGuy didn't used the world literally (and this is clear for his example).

thizlas said:
Yeah that's pretty obvious. But why do you say this to me ?

I am explaining my approach.

thizlas said:
Actually, for those who rate based on enjoyment, they are the same thing. For those who don't, they aren't.

You don't saaaay.

thizlas said:
No, not for me, because I rate based on enjoyment. But for those who don't, yes, it must happen pretty often.

Aaaand how about enjoyment sometimes being connected to outside factors? Like you were in a good mood and liked some mediocre stuff or you were in a bad mood and dropped some masterpiece?
Years later coming back to it you will wander "Why I have given such unfair score?".
Not that I want to change you mind, just mentioning that this method has downsides too.

thizlas said:
I never said it was wrong. I respect this way of judging and I don't think it is any better or worse than mine.

Yeah but you assume ("problem that is very common among people who don't rate only based on enjoyment") that many using this method of judging have some delusions of objectivity.
Not very respectful.
alshuOct 7, 2018 5:36 AM
Oct 6, 2018 7:06 PM
Apr 2016
My rating value.
10=can be rewatch every episode without skipping.
9= rewatch all episode some but sometimes I fast forward to certain scene only

So basically my rating is base on rewatch value and 8 is the highest normal rating I give
Oct 6, 2018 7:31 PM

Aug 2016
Depends on how far you want to go to consider "favorites". If you say top 10 or top 20 franchise, then I don't rate all my favorite franchises with 10.

Also, I don't have to give it a 10 if I love the franchise. I'd consider anything at least a "9" to be a favorite too. And this is not even considering seasons with varying levels of quality (a season is a 9-10 but another season isn't), but the franchise could still be a favorite just because of that one season experience.
Oct 6, 2018 7:36 PM

Nov 2017
Lol I think I won't be able to answer this😂😂😂😂
THERE EXIST IN THIS WORLD SOMETHING NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN
IT'S GENTLE SO VERY SWEET
THE GLIMPSES IS ALL IT TAKES TO MAKE A PERSON CRAVE IT
THAT'S WHY IT'S NEVER BEEN SEEN
THAT'S WHY THE WORLD HAS KEPT HIDDEN
MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN
BUT ONE DAY, IT WILL BE FOUND

BY THE PERSON WHO IS MEANT TO FIND IT. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.
"

Oct 6, 2018 8:31 PM

Aug 2018
thizlas said:
@DaCraziGuy
"With the mindset you described I should go and score as 1 any show with the genres I don't like."

-> No.

"I think knowing when you are biased is a good thing and you should step to the side."

-> Any judgement made about art is subjective, you are not being any more or less biased by giving a different score to a show.

"People that rate on pure enjoyment are the one that rate a generic harem show with a 10 despite being a clone from another show with no soul in it."

-> Maybe some of them do. I don't. Just because many inexperienced anime fans rate based on enjoyment doesn't mean everyone who rates based on enjoyment is inexperienced.
And at least these people are true to themselves, unlike those who think they are objective when they give high scores to shows they didn't even understand just because they are supposed to be great.

When did I say I didn't enjoy the shows I watch? I said I rated higher because I think it has something special... and NO, ART IS NOT COMPLETLY SUBJECTIVE, especially in audio visual media. The quality of art and animation almost entirely objective as well as how original a show is, or if it has more than just a story. And if you check my profile you can check my criteria of how I rate. I know this is mostly subjective but you have plently of objective facts to analize in every show. Spamming generic BS is something that awful. Repeating the same formula that someone else did is also an objective point. Nothing and nobody is 100% objective nor subjective. Don't close your mind like that.
Oct 6, 2018 9:14 PM

Oct 2010
My ratings are immediate, it's just the gut reaction after the viewing. Sometimes it turns that anime that I didn't rate 10 ends up staying in my mind more than some of my 10s. This happened with Sora no Woto for instance. Does that mean that it's a favorite? Well, in a way yes. But in general I will give the highest rating to my favorites. These exceptions are not the result of a systematic approach.
Oct 6, 2018 9:29 PM

Jan 2016
Like, I will not give 10/10 to To Love Ru smh.
Oct 6, 2018 9:36 PM

Dec 2008
I would never give a rating of 10 to any anime simply because that would be calling it perfect and nothing in life is perfect.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Oct 6, 2018 11:27 PM

Jan 2016
@alshu of course it's personal choice but i'm just pointing out the inconsistencies in that kind of thinking. I would never have a problem with it if it isn't so widespread.
Oct 6, 2018 11:39 PM

Apr 2015
Absolutely not. So far there's only one anime holding the 10 spot, but all my ratings are spread up so you'll see shows from 8 and above to be on my favorites.
Oct 7, 2018 1:42 AM

Feb 2017
@alshu
"Did you read the my whole pt 1.?"
-> Yes

"There I am explaining how this exact type of subjectiveness can be removed because it can obscure the other qualities of the show."
-> I disagree. Switching standards doesn't make you more objective, because judging a piece of art is by definition a subjective process. An objective evaluation of a piece of art can't ascribe values. It can say things like "there are X battles, X characters, X chapters, X colors were used, X tropes were used, etc." Only by subjectively deciding that some of those objectively present elements hold value and that some of them don't can you produce a judgement and rate the work, which makes all judgements about art subjective. It doesn't change anything at all if you remove your own subjectivity of the evaluation with that of another person or group of persons. It is still subjective.

"There are art experts, evaluators ect that people can use as frame of reference."
-> Those "experts" are humans just like you and me, their opinion is more informed than that of the average person but it is still just an opinion. I study literature in college and I can assure you that none of the people you call "experts" there believe in objectivity in art.

"Yes, also subjective but a bit closer to objectivity than some random hype train jumpers or self proclaimed elitists."
-> No.

"People are usually using "objective" as "a bit more objective than a fanboy". I am pretty sure that DaCraziGuy didn't used the world literally (and this is clear for his example)."
-> I understood this, but it is still wrong.

"How about enjoyment sometimes being connected to outside factors?"
-> Yeah it often is, but I'm pretty sure those outside factors never influence my scores too much.
When I begun to watch anime and read manga I often changed my scores drastically but nowadays it almost never happens to me. Maybe because to me, enjoyment is not limited to the moment I watch the anime or read the manga, it is something that remains in my mind for a long time.

"you assume that many using this method of judging have some delusions of objectivity." Not very respectful.
-> I do because I noticed that it often happens, sorry if you feel it is disrespectful.

@DaCraziGuy
"The quality of art and animation almost entirely objective as well as how original a show is, or if it has more than just a story"
-> You are the one who subjectively decided that detailed animation, originality and complexity were good things to have for a show. Those aren't inherently good things, just like a rock or a tree isn't "good" or "bad".
"you have plenty of objective facts to analyze in every show"
-> Yes, you do, but the basis on which you to ascribe value to some of those elements and not to others is subjective.
thizlasOct 7, 2018 1:46 AM
Oct 7, 2018 2:05 AM

Jun 2015
I rate when I finifh a show, soif it feels truly satisfying, it gets rated high, but might be forgotten later.

however, a fav stays in yer mind, and you want to keep going for it over and over, again and again, DESPITE its rather glaring flaws.

kids on a slope was a masterpiece, and while I loved it, wont list as a fav. [altho comes very colse]

while a 10/10 saiki kusuo IS a fav

and the glaring flawed fairy tail is the most fav despite being scored only an 8
Oct 7, 2018 5:07 AM

Dec 2015
Yes, but it's more complicated than that. Sometimes I have no problem giving my favorite shows a 10/10, while other times it just doesn't feel 10/10 even though I love them. I still rate them 10/10, but they just don't feel as 10/10 as other.

Btw, love your avatar OP, lol.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 7, 2018 5:43 AM

May 2018
CapitalistGod said:
@alshu of course it's personal choice but i'm just pointing out the inconsistencies in that kind of thinking. I would never have a problem with it if it isn't so widespread.

There are no inconsistencies and problems for me. If you are saying that this method is inconvenient to you OK but nothing wrong with it, just another way of scoring.
alshuOct 10, 2018 6:01 AM
Oct 7, 2018 5:49 AM

Jan 2018
joe_g7 said:
Yes, but it's more complicated than that. Sometimes I have no problem giving my favorite shows a 10/10, while other times it just doesn't feel 10/10 even though I love them. I still rate them 10/10, but they just don't feel as 10/10 as other.

If an anime doesnt feel 10/10 for you,just give it a 9.Many people do this and so do I.
Oct 7, 2018 5:55 AM

Dec 2015
Boobsftw said:
joe_g7 said:

If an anime doesnt feel 10/10 for you,just give it a 9.Many people do this and so do I.
That's the problem. 9 feels too little, 10 feels too much. It's hopeless.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 7, 2018 6:04 AM
Jun 2016
I have a lazy rating system. Never given an anime a score above 1 nor have I given a score below 10.

Reason: some people rate shows based on their enjoyment of it, some rate shows based on its quality, some rate it based on the average of qualities (animation, voice acting, plot, etc.) Because of this, I don't see value in the rating system, at least not enough for me to add to the bias. I do still have my own opinions on what I watch, I just don't share them here.

tl:dr I am lazy and blame it on others.
allogeneousOct 7, 2018 6:14 AM
Oct 7, 2018 6:16 AM

Jan 2016
Not all of my favourite, but i do.
When i enjoyed the anime so much and i personally felt it's perfect, it deserve a 10 rating from me.
Oct 7, 2018 6:23 AM

May 2018
thizlas said:
Switching standards doesn't make you more objective

OK so there is no point to argue because I don't understand this. ;)))

thizlas said:
judging a piece of art is by definition a subjective process. An objective evaluation of a piece of art can't ascribe values. It can say things like "there are X battles, X characters, X chapters, X colors were used, X tropes were used, etc." Only by subjectively deciding that some of those objectively present elements hold value and that some of them don't can you produce a judgement and rate the work, which makes all judgements about art subjective. It doesn't change anything at all if you remove your own subjectivity of the evaluation with that of another person or group of persons. It is still subjective.

So all those art, art history and cultural heritage classes are pointless...a lot of colleges and universities must be shut down...

thizlas said:
Those "experts" are humans just like you and me, their opinion is more informed than that of the average person but it is still just an opinion.

The minute computers learn to appreciate something as specifically human as art the humanity will become obsolete.

thizlas said:
I study literature in college and I can assure you that none of the people you call "experts" there believe in objectivity in art.

Tell one of your professors that you enjoy higher Raymond Chandler than Herman Melville thus he is a better writer.

OK maybe you belong to some school of thought where there are on such things as society, culture, traditions, aesthetics ect.

thizlas said:
I understood this, but it is still wrong.

Yes it's wrong. It must be changed because people a confusing it all the time...be you know people, they don't like to change...so already "objective" is yet another misnomer.

thizlas said:
I do because I noticed that it often happens, sorry if you feel it is disrespectful.

Well I don't fill disrespected because we are only chatting here but maybe someone will.
Oct 7, 2018 6:31 AM

Jan 2018
joe_g7 said:
Boobsftw said:

That's the problem. 9 feels too little, 10 feels too much. It's hopeless.

So you have to make a decision then.Life is difficult but you gotta keep on hoping and moving forward^^
Oct 7, 2018 6:34 AM
Sep 2017
Yes i rate most my favourite animes 10/10. it depends on show quality though.
Oct 7, 2018 6:43 AM

Apr 2017
Yes, I rate only based on my personal enjoyment.
Oct 7, 2018 6:47 AM

Aug 2015
Yes.
Simply because it's my favourite.
Example: Fairy Tail. Everyone knows their Nakama powaa is a joke, yet I still rate it 10/10 anyway~ XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 1 hour ago

12 by Sorachin »»
1 minute ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 7 minutes ago

0 by ZeroMajor12 »»
7 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

106 by NubFix »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

231 by Thanatos1 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.