Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Oct 4, 2020 5:40 PM
Feb 2020
Zefyris said:

Also most peoples who hate isekai are hating it simply because they like bandwagoning.
Some random popular youtuber makes an uninformed video about isekai (or about something else), his/her fanbase believes it and follows the words as if it was some divine revelation, they spread the words which influence even more peoples which in turns influence peoples and so on.

By now, there's barely anyone "hating isekai" who could endure a real discussion about their 'dislike" for it with anyone that know his subject.
Because they didn't build their opinion by themselves so they can't argue back, despite what they're persuading themselves.

It is quite justified to dislike a genre because of how you view the medium has become quite full of the same cliches and overuse of tropes that subvert the idea of enjoyment of said genre to begin with. Granted there are a few good ones out there but they are like trying to find a needle in a haystack. There are some even that claim to critique the genre but end up falling into the same tropes that they claim to show disdain for later on or in it's next season (this callout should be obvious).

And of course, word of mouth exist but I don't view it as a negative but more so a type of consumer advocacy or even a 'warning' label.

"Everyone" hates the "loser shut-in protagonist that we the audience are meant to self-insert ourselves as" because it is literally a trope that should have been buried in a grave before it was even born. The Harem shit gets boring once you realize that the girl you are cheering on is more so a piece of cardboard rather than a character you can understand and empathize with. Even the fucking copy-pasted scenarios are bland and unoriginal and most of the times, don't even follow the type of mechanics of the world they live in.

It is not that hard to come up with reasons on why people dislike the content seen in this genre of anime.

Oct 4, 2020 5:41 PM

Aug 2017
harem, op mc, boring storyline, magic, fantasy, what else is supposed to be?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2020 7:43 AM
Jul 2018
Overhyped, always had harem on it, repetitive plot, generic MCs with Kirito personality.
Oct 6, 2020 7:47 AM

Dec 2018
Because Isekai animes show people how bad taste Japanese Otakus have, if they wouldn't watch this crap, Japan anime industry wouldn't produce 4 new isekai animes every season.
It's sad to watch when shows like Vinland saga are less popular in japan than some " Trensferred into another world with your own mother to catch pokemons in the dungeon with your new girlfriend "
Oct 6, 2020 7:57 AM

Jun 2015
When it comes to modern RPG-style fantasy isekai, my least favorite tropes are the power fantasy/self-insert main characters and generally bad animation. I wouldn't call myself an isekai hater per se (especially not an unconditional one), but I do approach everything from the genre with caution these days.
Oct 6, 2020 8:02 AM
Jan 2019
There are a lot of really good isekai's. What people hate are the isekai wannabe anime's that studio's randomly make. An example would be Isekai cheat magician or Arifureta. Those are absolute garbage attempts at making a successful isekai. Good ones are re zero, slime, shield hero, konosuba, etc.
Oct 6, 2020 8:18 AM

Mar 2019
Because the word isekai doesn't mean just the same JRPG world. People in Japan are insanely creative. They have made some of the most amazing plots and worlds I've ever seen. But when people realise that they can make money without much effort, the creativity goes down.

I was just watching gameplay for the new game "Grounded" and then I thought why is there no survival isekai, lost on a planet isekai, or jurrasic isekai.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Oct 6, 2020 11:57 AM

May 2013
I love isekai. I have always loved them. Long before isekai was even thing.

Why do I love them? I think I love them because I think our world really is shitty place to be. I don't like it how our world is. I have never liked it. I have always dreamed to be something else or live in some fantasy world. It doesn't matter if it would be objectively shittier world because poor technology level and grimdark. I rather would live there than this consumer workaholic society.

My next biggest and somewhat "realistic dream" is that our technology level would give us some sort of robot utopia where I could live in some Virtual Reality fantasy world.

That is why I love isekai. It is gateway for my dreams and I think it that is why isekai is so popular.
---

But isekai being popular there are lots of bad isekai stories too. It is common thing like in Marvel majority Marvel stories are shit. It is not about isekai it is because everyone and their grandmom tries to cash the trend and that way there are lots of bad ones.

Oct 6, 2020 12:22 PM

May 2018
Literally since SAO came out. There has been many anime filled with Isekai with weak plot/characters

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Oct 6, 2020 5:12 PM

Jan 2020
Because mostly are bad, except Konosuba and Overlord

Oct 8, 2020 1:36 PM
Jul 2018
The problems are the cringey NEET / otaku male power fantasy protagonists in the last years and every trope that they bring on the table, like a harem that falls for them and undeserved powers. It's pretty cringe to see them and that you can follow the thought process of people, who can self-insert into them. It's not only the protagonist, although likeable and human main characters are very important to me, it also affects the whole story and makes up for lazy worldbuilding, where also every rule of the universe bends to our little self-insert's existence.

The thing about them is... see, I'm female, why should I care about some power fantasy for mainly boys in puberty and maybe some young men. That makes a lot of anime from that genre incredibly uninteresting for me, although I really like the concept of isekai or at least I'm not against that. I just never want to see that character type anymore.

It could make up for interesting stories and all and I appreciate some isekai anime.
Inuyasha is one of my top favorite anime in general. And I really enjoyed the first episode of Yashahime now.
Digimon, until I didn't like season 5 and dropped that, was my favorite kids anime. Especially the first season.
Also got good memories of Monster Rancher.
I also liked 12 Kingdoms a lot.
Spirited Away is an amazing movie.
Brave Story also is a pretty good movie.
Same for Children Who Chase Lost Voices.
I liked Now and Then, Here and There as well.
I liked Grimgar too.
Recently I enjoy(ed) Ascendance of a Bookworm.

None of them have a power fantasy for neets, so they could actually focus more on the story and worldbuilding etc. and giving them an ACTUAL personality. And everyone around them.
Okay I just recently watch that Kuma-isekai, but seriously that thing is just pretty cute and I use it as... "moe of the season" lol
removed-userOct 8, 2020 1:48 PM
Oct 9, 2020 6:40 AM

Jul 2015
Grey-Zone said:
(Please note that I intentionally don't mention SAO, because that's the Death Game VRMMORPG subgenre and not the isekai subgenre)

I noticed that recently some people, specifically the "isekai haters", have had this unexplainable grudge that makes them dismiss any series that has the words "reincarnated into another world", "transported into another world" or "summoned into another world" in the synopsis.

But actually there aren't that many "bad kinds" of isekai out there. Infact there are more good ones.

Bad isekai:

- Isekai smartphone (worst of the worst cliché, the main "culprit" behind the isekai hate)
- Death March (although the source material is good, it's among the slowest-paced isekai in existence, the anime adaptation had many issues and adapted the weakest part of the series)
- Hyakuren something something Valkyria (similar problems to Isekai smartphone)

That's it. Are people so hateful, just because of these 3? I mean take a look at isekai that got a fairly positive reception in the Western anime community:

- Re:Zero
- Overlord
- Konosuba
- Youjo Senki
- Log Horizon

So how come some people assume that every new upcoming isekai will be a bad "harem ecchi full of bad cliché" even when those genres aren't listed in the series description on MAL or other anime seasonal charts?

Discuss!

It's usually the same shallow and generic response(s).

-cliches
-tropes
-1 dimensional characters
-generic
-wish fulfillment.

As if these responses only apply to this one genre and no other.
Oct 9, 2020 7:55 AM

Jul 2012
- cliche story
- isekai too much used lately
- doesn't really have an aura of interest
And many more

Oct 9, 2020 8:02 AM

Dec 2019
Because most of the new isekai is the same garbage mc with a whole bunch of cute girls the same boring plot. They really barely try anything new with it.
Oct 9, 2020 8:10 AM

Aug 2016
Because a huge portion of them are power fantasies, and I'm only capable of enjoying those if it's a video game where I can kick all sorts of asses in a satisfying way with the character I'm controlling.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Oct 12, 2020 8:57 AM

Oct 2014
Chikaby said:
- cliche story

What's that "cliché story"? Take an isekai that's rated at least 7 and tell me at least five stories that follow the same "cliché story".

Chikaby said:
- isekai too much used lately

That doesn't sound convincing when almost every fictional story uses the same "3-act-structure" and a vast amount of stories use the "hero's journey cliché", not to mention how battle shounen also always follow the same patterns but look how popular they are.

Chikaby said:
- doesn't really have an aura of interest

What exactly is an "aura of interest"?

Chikaby said:
And many more

All 3 "reasons" so far were complete misses.

Ari4 said:
Because most of the new isekai is the same garbage mc with a whole bunch of cute girls the same boring plot. They really barely try anything new with it.

What "same plot" are we talking about here?

-Ryu said:
Because a huge portion of them are power fantasies, and I'm only capable of enjoying those if it's a video game where I can kick all sorts of asses in a satisfying way with the character I'm controlling.

Strange, it's the other way around for me. I can longer stand anymore " loser MC at the beginning who goes through thick and thin with 'hard work' to beat 'geniuses' who are conveniently lazy, to become someone brave and respectable". These kinds of MCs tend to be super reactive and get dragged around by the plot. No agency whatsoever, just "keeping things as they are". Meanwhile so-called "power fantasy MCs" at least do something proactively because they aren't chained down by "always being the underdog to maintain the tension".
Oct 12, 2020 9:04 AM

Mar 2020
For me, I just think that all isekai's are the same. Same annoying protagonist and same character tropes.

How can they see the love in our eyes
And still, they don't believe us?
And after all this time
They don't want to believe us

Oct 12, 2020 9:19 AM

Jan 2019
Because there are a lot of them that are kind of similar and don't really try to stand out from the crowd. Also, harem and ecchi stuff are usually tacked on.
Oct 12, 2020 9:20 AM

Jan 2020
I don't really hate Isekai, but it's just that most Isekai shows basically rehash the same concept over and over again. I think this statement is more relevant 2 years after this thread was made.
Oct 12, 2020 9:28 AM
Jul 2020
They're boring I guess....? The reason I can think of.
Oct 12, 2020 9:36 AM

Oct 2020
People hate isekai cuz its the same fucking CONCEPT same REACTIONS.
same SUPPORTING CHARCATERS same OUTCOME same kind of STORIES
in EVERY FUCKING ISEKAI OUT THERE
OBAMOS
Oct 12, 2020 12:21 PM

Oct 2014
IrrelevantGuy said:
I don't really hate Isekai, but it's just that most Isekai shows basically rehash the same concept over and over again. I think this statement is more relevant 2 years after this thread was made.

Mercenary34 said:

What are these same "concepts", "reactions", "supporting cast", "outcome" and "stories"? I saw this mentioned a lot in this thread but it seems every time I am asking about the specifics, the answer is silence as if someone's thought processes just short-circuited.
Oct 12, 2020 12:45 PM
Jul 2020
Coz today...many anime titles are flooded with isekai....have the same logics..maybe overpowered MC or a harem with some ecchi elements or revolves around killing monsters...although there are some good ones but the end of the day...thier base is same
Oct 12, 2020 12:48 PM

Jan 2020
Grey-Zone said:
IrrelevantGuy said:

Mercenary34 said:

What are these same "concepts", "reactions", "supporting cast", "outcome" and "stories"? I saw this mentioned a lot in this thread but it seems every time I am asking about the specifics, the answer is silence as if someone's thought processes just short-circuited.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the concept of Isekai itself. It's just that most shows falling under that subgenre have a tendency to follow really generic and formulaic traits that have already been used hundreds of times. The plots of these Isekai shows are usually overwhelmingly similar and barely have any distinct features, which doesn't help in making these shows compelling in any way. Most of the characters have really unremarkable characteristics and don't receive any development to speak of, which makes them painfully bland. Especially, the side characters suffer a lot from this. And in most cases, the animation and the soundtrack fails in being impressive as well.
Oct 12, 2020 1:06 PM

Oct 2014
IrrelevantGuy said:
Grey-Zone said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the concept of Isekai itself. It's just that most shows falling under that subgenre have a tendency to follow really generic and formulaic traits that have already been used hundreds of times. The plots of these Isekai shows are usually overwhelmingly similar and barely have any distinct features, which doesn't help in making these shows compelling in any way. Most of the characters have really unremarkable characteristics and don't receive any development to speak of, which makes them painfully bland. Especially, the side characters suffer a lot from this. And in most cases, the animation and the soundtrack fails in being impressive as well.

That didn't really tell me anything either. I asked for concrete examples and all I get are more of the same "general statements" of "X are all the same", yet if "they are all the same" it should have been super easy to name those common things. I don't see it. I just don't see any of that. At most you could argue that many of them share the concept of a "adventurer guild", but that's pretty much it. The rest is just general dissatisfaction with the anime production itself and has little relation to the story of it's source-material, though I guess the fact that many isekai are quite slowburners and only get a 12 episode adaptation that's basically covering the "prologue" of the story or cover a decent chunk of of the story but in exchange rushing the adaptation to death, might be a large part of this mistaken perception. Also like every genre, isekai has it's bottom of the barrel "representatives" as well, e.g. Isekai Smartphone or Isekai Cheat Magician (I feel like the latter has "dirtied" Myth & Roid by having them perform the OP). These shouldn't be used as the representatives of "isekai" as a whole, however.
Oct 12, 2020 1:25 PM

Jul 2019
i think there is just too many shows about isekai and most of them are usually bad, i wouldn't rule out a show just because its an isekai though.
Oct 12, 2020 1:37 PM

Apr 2019
Man, is this thread fun to read. The firestorm is incredible!

The one isekai I watched where the MC is not OP at the start is Shield Hero, but then, it has its own issues. Not that I found any..

The traits or tropes are not even an issue. Anything that is overused instantly becomes a problem for the genre according to watchers... therefore no use in bickering over which trait or trope needs to go, if it goes something else would come in to fill the gap, that is all..an endless cycle.

I was rushing desperately, trying to reach the light. When I thought I did, I reached a dead end instead. Then I decided I wanted to enter that light. And at the edge of it, I found you.
Oct 12, 2020 1:47 PM

Jan 2015
For one, the generic trash isekais follow this one rule.
1) You're a trash human being and the only way you'll get better is if you teleport to some other world and get some blessings along the way. A power fantasy if you will.

2) You are somehow able to solve problems easily even though your intelligence is mediocre at best and all the important positions in this world are filled by tho- harem candi- women, by women, and they will fall for you shall you even breathe in their presence.

3) There are no lasting consequences to actions nor are there any limitations to the absurdity the world will go to make you a harem lord. Everything is there just for the sake of getting a harem. Demon king? Collect girls along the way. Problem with other countries? To collect other harem candidates.

4) The number of shit people have inside their heads instead of a functioning brain is hilarious. Except for the main character and maybe, yes maybe, the main cast, every other person in the world will be exceptionally dumbed down to a toddlers' level of intelligence.

I basically listed the 4 basic reasons why the genre is hated so much. Sometimes there are things like Re:Zero and Shield hero, gems in a pile of trash. Log Horizon would be up there too.
The thing about isekai is, it doesn't fucking make sense half of the time. Shield Hero makes sense with all those things going on in the background.
But why in Isekai smartphone or something? It could just be a normal fantasy with a guy having some blessings. Unnecessary isekai. Would it make it a better show? Nope. It would still be as bad as it is. Just some unnecessary plot device would be removed.

Isekai genre rn is just a hot pile of shit with some gems here and there. Its getting milked so much due to its initial popularity, 3rd rate authors with 4th rate writing skills are trying to get through with the genre's popularity.

Your life to come is bound to make you smile
Oct 12, 2020 1:59 PM
Jul 2018
maybe because its very, very popular and repetitive now. i enjoy isekai, but nearly every isekai anime is the same. especially the ones very few have watched, like no wonder no one is watching it
Oct 12, 2020 2:14 PM
Feb 2020
Grey-Zone said:
(Please note that I intentionally don't mention SAO, because that's the Death Game VRMMORPG subgenre and not the isekai subgenre)

I noticed that recently some people, specifically the "isekai haters", have had this unexplainable grudge that makes them dismiss any series that has the words "reincarnated into another world", "transported into another world" or "summoned into another world" in the synopsis.

But actually there aren't that many "bad kinds" of isekai out there. Infact there are more good ones.

Bad isekai:

- Isekai smartphone (worst of the worst cliché, the main "culprit" behind the isekai hate)
- Death March (although the source material is good, it's among the slowest-paced isekai in existence, the anime adaptation had many issues and adapted the weakest part of the series)
- Hyakuren something something Valkyria (similar problems to Isekai smartphone)

That's it. Are people so hateful, just because of these 3? I mean take a look at isekai that got a fairly positive reception in the Western anime community:

- Re:Zero
- Overlord
- Konosuba
- Youjo Senki
- Log Horizon

So how come some people assume that every new upcoming isekai will be a bad "harem ecchi full of bad cliché" even when those genres aren't listed in the series description on MAL or other anime seasonal charts?

Discuss!

well i like one isekai there log horizon and rate it high for a good reason,but not the rest specially most of the TRASH ISEKAI aka "another copy paste of sh*tshow sao",like seriously lets be honest here,most trash isekai out there are literally a copy paste of the bad one who is UNFORTUNATELY POPULAR,its not even being an elitist,no im fine with u know "generic/average" fantasy series,but those trash isekai is not even generic/average,its worst than that.

why so many ppl still not realised that most of those trash isekai is literally a "cheap a** lazy writing fantasy wannabe",like they want to write a fantasy story,with a fantasy world,but have no world building etc,it just "mc get transfered for no reason,got power for no reason,there is stat show up,class/job,skill tree out of nowhere with no explanation,op 1 hit every enemy,get harem,and u ask why ppl hate isekai??
Oct 12, 2020 2:55 PM

Aug 2013
sigh

Frankly, do they?

If people hate isekai so much, why is it that they are always at the most watched and read anime and manga? Why do they gather such good to great scores? And if the problem is that they are 'generic fantasy', why do generic non-isekai fantasy like Goblin Slayer manage to be so popular?

"People" don't hate isekai. Just a very vocal and dedicated minority does, just like with shounen. Most people like isekai, and whenever something gets too popular it also gets its fair share of hate.
Oct 12, 2020 8:45 PM

Jan 2020
Grey-Zone said:
IrrelevantGuy said:

That didn't really tell me anything either. I asked for concrete examples and all I get are more of the same "general statements" of "X are all the same", yet if "they are all the same" it should have been super easy to name those common things. I don't see it. I just don't see any of that. At most you could argue that many of them share the concept of a "adventurer guild", but that's pretty much it. The rest is just general dissatisfaction with the anime production itself and has little relation to the story of it's source-material, though I guess the fact that many isekai are quite slowburners and only get a 12 episode adaptation that's basically covering the "prologue" of the story or cover a decent chunk of of the story but in exchange rushing the adaptation to death, might be a large part of this mistaken perception. Also like every genre, isekai has it's bottom of the barrel "representatives" as well, e.g. Isekai Smartphone or Isekai Cheat Magician (I feel like the latter has "dirtied" Myth & Roid by having them perform the OP). These shouldn't be used as the representatives of "isekai" as a whole, however.

If I had to summarize the plot of most Isekai shows, I would say it like this –

"The extremely idiotic and painfully bland protagonist dies in a really bizarre way and gets resurrected into another world and becomes stupidly overpowered. He makes friends with other people in that world and builds a guild with them. However, a powerful villain suddenly appears and becomes a threat to the protagonist. But fear not! As we have our stupidly overpowered protagonist with no personality whatsoever to rescue the day! And rescue he does! He absolutely decimates his enemies with his poorly explained powers and teaches them a lesson. The protagonist and his friends live happily ever after. THE END."

I think that's basically a simplified version of the plot of most Isekai shows, at least among the ones I've seen. Plots that aren't remotely unique or interesting can be compelling, too, if it is executed properly and the characters fully fleshed out. That doesn't seem to be the case with most Isekai shows, though, as the story is mostly full of several plot holes and almost the entire cast consists of dull and mediocre characters. The world building in these shows aren't very remarkable either. It becomes even worse when a show, in order to make the plot or the characters "innovative", adds really ridiculous aspects and traits to the story and the characters, which ends up making the show even more intolerable to watch.
Oct 12, 2020 11:38 PM

Oct 2020
Grey-Zone said:
IrrelevantGuy said:

Mercenary34 said:

same concept= most (9 out of 10) isekai have same concept that the main protagonist has to save the other world he's been called to.

same supporting charcters= A girl who love the mc. a funny dude .and a traitor. every isekai had these suppoting characters

outcome= he's the hero. he save the world or something in paticular.
OBAMOS
Oct 13, 2020 12:14 AM

Apr 2018
The problem with isekai is that so many series these days jump on the same framework and set of elements without understanding what chemistry within that framework made it so good in the first place. In that sense, the problem is a general problem that can honestly plague any work of any genre or style, and arguably already has (moe coming to mind most readily).
Oct 13, 2020 12:24 AM

Jun 2020
TP53 said:
The problem with isekai is that so many series these days jump on the same framework and set of elements without understanding what chemistry within that framework made it so good in the first place. In that sense, the problem is a general problem that can honestly plague any work of any genre or style, and arguably already has (moe coming to mind most readily).

This is an old thread but I second this. There's not much creativity when it comes to isekai. Isekai in general isn't bad and some isekai shows are actually pretty decent. (re;zero)
Oct 13, 2020 2:55 AM

Jul 2016
first of all, I did not watch any of the "bad" anime you listed so can't realy comment on that. I did watch all of the "good" anime and yes i did enjoy whatching a few of them, but other then those i realy can't think of an isekai that is not complete garbadge and i think i dont need to address why since i see most people told you already, just so generic and predictable konosuba fixed that with being atleast a good comedy. so ye thats why i wont watch most of the isekais unless it has something unique to it
Oct 15, 2020 9:57 PM

Feb 2017
Speaking only about "recent" series.
They're all the same (or a lot similar between them) because they're recycling the same tropes or even, the same plot in these examples I'll give to you...

-The MC is always a beta character (a loser, basically) that is transported (or killed by someone, or something) to other world/reality/video game; and probably a chance stop being a loser in this new world...

-A bunch of good-looking girls that have (or might have) a love interest for the MC. (And also for the male viewers so they can pick their "waifus")

-The MC has a power that no other character has, but is a recurring "Deus Ex Machina" that solves anything, or it becomes so OP as the "plot" goes on...

-The girls' tends to be the main focus of the series, because the MC is so poorly written, or so weak (in personality terms) that they become one of the main reasons to keep watching the series...

-Most of the previous isekai series mentioned below, have a European fantasy/medieval-like setting... (or came from the same "games" like RPGs or the same "sources")
Even that they have a very similar environment, buildings and most elements in each series...)

For example:
-Isekai wa Smartphone
-Re:Zero
-Konosuba
-Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
-Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
-Overlord
We are EVERYWHERE...
Oct 15, 2020 10:35 PM

Sep 2009
I dont hate isekai, i still give some of them a go every season only to drop them after 1 or 2 episodes so i see why people "hate" on it. Once in a while you'll get a good gem amongst hundreds of washed out, same stories. They all feel the same. Same characters, same plot, same looking world, same stupid, unfunny comedy and then they'll drop one single quirk to differentiate themselves from the rest but that's just not enough...

We're all golden
Sunflwers
on the inside :>
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 2 hours ago

13 by Kruszer »»
3 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

48 by AzafuseKingTora »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 11 minutes ago

2 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

16 by billybub »»
33 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

55 by Fischer77 »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.