Forum Settings
Forums

What languages are you studying/can you speak

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 13, 2018 6:54 AM

Sep 2018
I can speak a lot of them actually, English, Italian, German, Spanish, Latin, and my mother tongue which makes several other languages really easy to understand..
I'm trying to learn Greek and Japanese, for the sake of mythology and tales..
''I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else.''-Neil Gaiman
Sep 13, 2018 8:47 AM
Sep 2018
I know English and German. And I work as an interpreter sometimes.
Sep 13, 2018 9:58 AM

Nov 2016
Native language is English, I can speak conversational Japanese, I was learning German last semester and will prob take German 2 next semester, and I did study Romanian and Dutch on my own for a bit, but I forgot everything so back to square one I go lol
・゚☆✧you were like a glass and I always melted in you

Sep 13, 2018 11:07 AM

May 2017
My first language is English, but I've taken 4-5 years of Spanish at school so far. I find it really enjoyable learning new languages, I'm striving to become somewhat fluent.
Sep 13, 2018 11:42 AM

Dec 2014
traed said:
I just know English. I never had opportunity to be taught in school very well or have exposure to other languages. I have tried to learn other languages myself but it's hard for me to stick to just one at a time which slowed any progress and I got set back by taking a break. .
Aren't you exposed to the Japanese culture alot? With video-games, and of course anime/manga?
I know Japanese is a very hard language, but your excuse for not learning a language is because you're not into the country's culture. (I'm sure it's not the case of Japanese). That's just an example.
There are many ways for you to be exposed to a language you may like.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Sep 13, 2018 2:38 PM

Mar 2008
-Ouro- said:

It may have more practical applications than say learning PIE, but I like the idea of PIE and it'll just be something that I'll be learning for my sake rather than for any occupation.

Well I didn't mean career wise necessarily just with known ancient languages you actually can use them to read old texts. With no examples of PIE it would make it easier to forget unless it is actually part of your career.

Fidelium said:
Aren't you exposed to the Japanese culture alot? With video-games, and of course anime/manga?
I know Japanese is a very hard language, but your excuse for not learning a language is because you're not into the country's culture. (I'm sure it's not the case of Japanese). That's just an example.

I don't live anywhere with a Japanese population atm and I'm not going to live in Japan so it doesn't matter to me as much as some others. Memorizing over a thousand kanji doesn't sound fun. Also like I said I was learning multiple languages at once. Plus I'm depressed which effects the hippocampus so.
traedSep 13, 2018 2:44 PM
Sep 13, 2018 2:45 PM

Dec 2014
traed said:
-Ouro- said:

It may have more practical applications than say learning PIE, but I like the idea of PIE and it'll just be something that I'll be learning for my sake rather than for any occupation.

Well I didn't mean career wise necessarily just with known ancient languages you actually can use them to read old texts. With no examples of PIE it would make it easier to forget unless it is actually part of your career.

Fidelium said:

I don't live anywhere with a Japanese population so it doesn't matter to me as much as some others. Memorizing over a thousand kanji doesn't sound fun. Also like I said I was learning multiple languages at once. Plus I'm depressed which effects the hippocampus so.
Ugh, I don't live with many people that speak other languanges, yet I speak 3-4. That's not an excuse.
Well, some people like memorizing the Chinese characters. I personally find it both ways (being fun and annoying), but that's how languages work, and the uniqueness of languages is fascinating.
You said it earlier that you need to be into the culture to have dispostion, right??

I used to learn many languages at time, my Duolingo has featured 5+ languages, so I can tell, learning multiple language can be fun, but still hard to focus. Thankfully they added Japanese.
Sep 13, 2018 2:48 PM
Feb 2016
traed said:
-Ouro- said:

Fidelium said:

I don't live anywhere with a Japanese population atm and I'm not going to live in Japan so it doesn't matter to me as much as some others. Memorizing over a thousand kanji doesn't sound fun. Also like I said I was learning multiple languages at once. Plus I'm depressed which effects the hippocampus so.

Smh I just find it interesting in general, ya know?

Sep 13, 2018 2:51 PM

Aug 2018
Fluent in Dutch and English, decent in French. I can get around in German, and I have an understanding of Spanish.

I know useless phrases of latin.
(Opinio iuris, Lex naturalis, cuius regio eius religio)
Sep 13, 2018 3:52 PM

Mar 2008
Fidelium said:
Ugh, I don't live with many people that speak other languanges, yet I speak 3-4. That's not an excuse.
Well, some people like memorizing the Chinese characters. I personally find it both ways (being fun and annoying), but that's how languages work, and the uniqueness of languages is fascinating.
You said it earlier that you need to be into the culture to have dispostion, right??

I used to learn many languages at time, my Duolingo has featured 5+ languages, so I can tell, learning multiple language can be fun, but still hard to focus. Thankfully they added Japanese.

What do you care what I do? I have no requirement to learn another language it's just for myself.

I only tried Japanese fairly recently outside of all those words and phrases I picked up on watching anime and Japanese movies. I was focused more on French, German, and Norwegian and that started years ago. Like I said I just couldn't pick what I wanted to focus on more so I kept adding languages which gave less practice of each individual language. I never decided what language I would like to be fluent or at least proficient in first.

Not in this thread, no. Having an interest in a language helps obviously. No one will easily learn a language they don't care about. Culture is only important in media.
Sep 13, 2018 5:39 PM

Dec 2014
traed said:
Fidelium said:

What do you care what I do? I have no requirement to learn another language it's just for myself.

I only tried Japanese fairly recently outside of all those words and phrases I picked up on watching anime and Japanese movies. I was focused more on French, German, and Norwegian and that started years ago. Like I said I just couldn't pick what I wanted to focus on more so I kept adding languages which gave less practice of each individual language. I never decided what language I would like to be fluent or at least proficient in first.

Not in this thread, no. Having an interest in a language helps obviously. No one will easily learn a language they don't care about. Culture is only important in media.
So I can't help people online anymore? We also are discussing.
No requirement? Learning a language is a good thing and may very important.

Well I mentioned Japanese since it is pretty much the cultural exporter in our community.

You've mentioned that in a certain Chinese thread. I mostly care about about languages that either are important or interesting, does that count?
Important in media? o.O It can be a lot more important than that.
FragMentizedSep 13, 2018 5:54 PM
Sep 13, 2018 5:53 PM

Mar 2008
Fidelium said:
traed said:

I only tried Japanese fairly recently outside of all those words and phrases I picked up on watching anime and Japanese movies. I was focused more on French, German, and Norwegian and that started years ago. Like I said I just couldn't pick what I wanted to focus on more so Ionept adding languages which gave less practice of each individual language. I never decided what language I would like to be fluent or at least proficient in first.

No requirement? Learning a language is a good thing and sometimes very important.

Well I mentioned Japanese since it is pretty much the cultural exporter in our community.

You've mentioned that in a certain Chinese thread. I mostly care about about languages that either are important or interesting, does that count?

Sure you can but you approached it in an odd way saying I'm just making excuses and made it sound like I'm obligated to be fluent in Japanese just because I'm on an anime site. I've already explained my situation why I didn't get far. Duolingo alone isn't enough so it takes a lot of time to look up pronunciation of each word and various grammar rules. I lost some motivation so I haven't done as much lately.

Well I say media because relation to another person isn't necessarily cultural based. When I say media that includes music, tv, cinema, literature, poetry, historical documents and so on. Interest in something like fashion or architecture and cuisine (outside of restaurant menus) has nothing to do with a language. So I was saying some aspects of a culture are relevant but not all.
Sep 13, 2018 5:56 PM

Mar 2016
I can speak English and Japanese if want or need to, why i mostly use JSL being Japanese Sign Language.
Have learn basic German but never gone as far as that.

Sep 13, 2018 6:18 PM

Feb 2018
i studied tagalog a while but ive forgotten most of it by now. other that just native english and the odd tidbit of spanish i've somehow managed to retain.
Sep 13, 2018 7:35 PM

Jun 2015
I can speak English, common convos in Vietnamese, and I'm currently learning French!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2018 8:02 PM

Jul 2015
English is my primary language. I'm pretty fluent in french too (as I've been studying french for basically my entire school starting from kindergarten to grade 12), but it's slowly deteriorating as I'm no longer pursuing it after graduating high school lol. I also took up an intro to Japanese course last semester in uni, for obvious reasons. It was pretty fun though!

caught in the wonder
Sep 13, 2018 8:26 PM

Sep 2018
learning korean, need to be more fluent for my fam
Sep 14, 2018 8:12 AM

Dec 2014
traed said:
Fidelium said:
No requirement? Learning a language is a good thing and sometimes very important.

Sure you can but you approached it in an odd way saying I'm just making excuses and made it sound like I'm obligated to be fluent in Japanese just because I'm on an anime site. I've already explained my situation why I didn't get far. Duolingo alone isn't enough so it takes a lot of time to look up pronunciation of each word and various grammar rules. I lost some motivation so I haven't done as much lately.

Well I say media because relation to another person isn't necessarily cultural based. When I say media that includes music, tv, cinema, literature, poetry, historical documents and so on. Interest in something like fashion or architecture and cuisine (outside of restaurant menus) has nothing to do with a language. So I was saying some aspects of a culture are relevant but not all.
Saying that people are just making excuses may be just an incentive :P I never said you needed to be fluent in Japanese, you said it in a thread that you need to be into a country's culture to have disposition to learn their languages, and Japanese was the most obvious that came to my mind, but it's ok if you changed your mind.

Duolingo is a great website for sure, it won't lead you to fluency, but it helps a lot for you to get to a decent level.

It's not just a matter of culturewise, learning a language simply makes you smarter, and may be very important, specially in the future because of the globalization.
They also may help with these non-media things you mentioned, either.
Sep 14, 2018 8:34 AM

Mar 2018
Spanish and English. Also, I’m learning Mandarin and Italian right now.
Sep 14, 2018 9:21 AM

Mar 2018
I can speak Burmese (duh, my native language), English and Japanese. Heck, I'm an exchange student in Kyoto right now and passed the recent N2 exam so I'm at N1 level now I guess. I like to study English in my own way but Japanese? Not very much. Kanji is not my forte and keigo (polite form) shouldn't exist in Japanese. Currently no plan to learn a new language.

Sep 14, 2018 9:55 AM

May 2014
I can speak English and Japanese. I tried learning French but all that I can remember is how to say "I don't speak French". Learning another language takes insane amount hard-work and dedication, so I don't think I'll go for a 3rd language.
Sep 14, 2018 10:31 AM
Aug 2016
I know Romanian and English fluently and I also know Japanese but not fluently, and now I'm studying Korean. I also can understand to a certain extent the other romance languages *French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc* because they are related to my native language. I also know some phrases in Mandarin *Chinese* and Thai, and I know like a few words in Russian and Hindi. Idk if I know other languages tho.
Sep 16, 2018 12:49 PM

Dec 2014
BokoHaramSenpai said:
i studied tagalog a while but ive forgotten most of it by now. other that just native english and the odd tidbit of spanish i've somehow managed to retain.
Why did you decide to pick tagalog specifically?

Kuroko-chan said:
I know Romanian and English fluently and I also know Japanese but not fluently, and now I'm studying Korean. I also can understand to a certain extent the other romance languages *French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc* because they are related to my native language. I also know some phrases in Mandarin *Chinese* and Thai, and I know like a few words in Russian and Hindi. Idk if I know other languages tho.
How good can you understand other Romance languages? I can't understand anything of Romanian :/

@-Ouro- I wonder how the Indo-European could make more than half of the world speak their language tree...

Kisaragi said:
I can speak English and Japanese. I tried learning French but all that I can remember is how to say "I don't speak French". Learning another language takes insane amount hard-work and dedication, so I don't think I'll go for a 3rd language.
Is Japanese your first language?
FragMentizedSep 16, 2018 12:55 PM
Sep 16, 2018 12:59 PM

Feb 2018
Fidelium said:
BokoHaramSenpai said:
Why did you decide to pick tagalog specifically?

my hometown has a huge filipino expat community, so i grew up around it. i also worked overseas in a country that had a lot of filipino expats, and their knowledge of english varied a lot. also i have a thing for filipinas
Sep 16, 2018 1:54 PM

Jul 2017
i can only speak english fluently but i can speak some arabic. the only language im intrested in learning right now is thai
Sep 16, 2018 1:59 PM

May 2009
I speak Dutch, Surinamese, English and German. No interest studying any other language at the moment.
Sep 16, 2018 3:19 PM

Aug 2018
Currently on French. I'm making fast progresses.
Sep 17, 2018 7:09 AM
Aug 2016
Fidelium said:
Kuroko-chan said:
How good can you understand other Romance languages? I can't understand anything of Romanian :/

As I said, I can understand them to a certain extent. I can make out some words and phrases based of the fact that they are very similar to my native language, and the fact that I'm kind of interested in them, so I searched for some words that aren't similar and I learned them.
Well, I noticed, that for some people with a certain romance language is easy to understand the others, but not viceversa. I mean, I notice that Portuguese people can understand Spanish, but not viceversa.
Sep 17, 2018 7:12 AM

Sep 2013
I can speak 4 languages in order of proficiency

Portuguese
English
Spanish
Japanese
Sep 17, 2018 9:12 AM

May 2014
Fidelium said:

Kisaragi said:
Is Japanese your first language?

Yes. Although I was born in the states my parents always spoke in Japanese, so Japanese grew on me first. I still remember myself not being able to communicate when I first joined kindergarten school xD
Sep 17, 2018 10:29 AM

Aug 2018
I can speak French (native), English and a bit of german. But i also study japanese ;)
Sep 17, 2018 11:11 AM
Feb 2016
I have been studying Japanese for 3.5 years and I will be taking the JLPT N2 test next year.
I can speak Portuguese(native), English and Spanish. I would also like to learn Korean because I'm a fan of Kpop but I don't have the time now... maybe in the future!
Sep 17, 2018 11:27 AM

Jan 2018
I can speak Greek as a native language and English. I did study French in school for like 5 years but I barely learned anything from them.
Sep 17, 2018 1:12 PM

Jul 2009
Other than English, I speak a little bit of French and Japanese, and very very very little Arabic (better at reading and writing it than actually conversing).

I'm a Linguistics major so I'm aaaaall about languages and I hope to learn many more in the future. :)
Sep 17, 2018 5:08 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
In High School I took three years of Spanish and three years of Japanese. The Spanish actually ended up being useful because I recently used it in a trip to Spain plus it's always allowed me to play videogames online with people from Spanish speaking countries (for if American servers are bogged down).

But for Japanese class whilst it was easily my most fun class because we just had parties and watched shows all the time; we didn't do any actual learning so I'd be completely screwed if I were to travel to Japan. I mean shit by the end of the first year half the class didn't even know how to read Hiragana. It literally only takes a day to learn not only Hiragana but Katakana too as well as some basic Kanji (my dad made me learn it all the day before school started). You can't even read the textbook without it yet somehow everybody walked away with As all three years. I've also heard from friends who went to other local schools that their Japanese classes were the same way. I'd like to think it's the teachers though causing the issue and not the kind of students the class brings in. I would have taken Chinese instead but sadly they didn't offer it at my Highschool until it was too late (same with Sign Language which also would have been a useful one).
Sep 17, 2018 5:37 PM

Jul 2017
I speak English (native) and am pretty much fluent in Spanish (thx to my Spanish-speaking parent). Currently in Japanese 3 online with duolingo, memrise, & Wanikani (for kanji)

**Anyone have any tips for bettering Japanese grammar or getting in more Japanese practice??
WillowSep 17, 2018 5:42 PM

“The essence of good deeds and evil deeds are the same.
They’re both no more than a person’s actions to make up for a defect in themselves.”

-Yashiro Gaku (Erased)
Sep 17, 2018 5:46 PM

Nov 2011
A bit off topic, but how have most people here learned their languages beyond their mother tongue? College? Or some manner or self-teaching?
Sep 17, 2018 5:51 PM

Nov 2011
edit: at above - learned english in school, self-taught very basic japanese then took a few classes
also learned a little spanish, but im terrible at it.

Willow said:
I speak English (native) and am pretty much fluent in Spanish (thx to my Spanish-speaking parent). Currently in Japanese 3 online with duolingo, memrise, & Wanikani (for kanji)

**Anyone have any tips for bettering Japanese grammar or getting in more Japanese practice??

honestly, getting a good grammar book written by a Japanese professor is your best bet.
this will give you the most accurate explanation of key grammar points.
if you want a book with practice problems, Genki is a solid choice.
if you just want a reference book, a dictionary of basic japanese grammar by Seiichi Makino is a good choice as well.

You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 17, 2018 6:12 PM
Dec 2010
I can speak english and chinese, those are the main languages. I learnt basic japanese from a language school but I never really took it beyond the basics, though I can recognise words beyond my study level.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Sep 18, 2018 5:45 AM

Dec 2014
TripleSRank said:
A bit off topic, but how have most people here learned their languages beyond their mother tongue? College? Or some manner or self-teaching?
Interesting question, I've learned them on my own, schools usually are unnefective...
Sep 18, 2018 7:40 AM

Sep 2011
G115Giorgos said:
I can speak Greek as a native language and English. I did study French in school for like 5 years but I barely learned anything from them.

I have a question... Can Greek people understand the ancient greek which we study at school?
Sep 18, 2018 8:56 AM

Sep 2018
I speak German & English. Just started studying Spanish in uni. :3
Sep 18, 2018 12:35 PM

Aug 2018
I speak Norwegian, English and Bosnian fluently. I know/understand Danish and Swedish because well, it's pretty similar to Norwegian. I had 5 years of German in school, so I know the basics, and perhaps some Japanese? From anime, lmao, dunno if that counts as knowing the language, but yeah
Sep 18, 2018 3:35 PM

Jan 2018
otakuclub94 said:
G115Giorgos said:

I have a question... Can Greek people understand the ancient greek which we study at school?

Not really, most people may be able to understand a word here and there that is still be used today, but most of the time you can't understand what the text you are reading is trying to say.

We did take classes of ancient greek in junior high school, and we would also read the works of Homer in ancient greek, but I personally disliked them because I couldn't understand what they were talking about most of the time and when we finished a chapter of illiad for example I usually had no idea what happened.
G115GiorgosSep 18, 2018 3:38 PM
Sep 18, 2018 3:44 PM

Jan 2018
TripleSRank said:

I took private lessons for about 8 years until I took my C2 proficiency degree.
Sep 18, 2018 3:47 PM

Apr 2014
Native English. I know enough Spanish to be dangerous :D I took a class on German but due to not being able to practice with people I cant remember much.
Sep 18, 2018 4:15 PM

Aug 2017
Portuguese (native tongue), English and I can understand a bit of Spanish, though it's a language I strongly dislike.
Sep 18, 2018 4:17 PM

Jun 2014
I'm a native English speaker, and I've studied some other languages over the years, such as Italian and Japanese, but not long enough to develop any fluency in them.

The only language that I understand well besides English is "Dragonian," which is a language that I constructed, and am still working on.

Sep 18, 2018 4:27 PM

Feb 2012
Greek (Native) German (2nd Native) since i grew up in Germany and English. I'm about to learn either Russian, Chinese or Portuguese and then Japanese ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2018 5:00 PM

Feb 2014
Russian (Native) , Lithuanian (Native) , Italian (Very fluent) , French (I understand a lot but can't speak fluently) , German ( I hate it , was forced to study it in High school) and English.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What age range do you find the most physically attractive?

Ejrodiew - Apr 11

39 by UnstableBrat »»
10 seconds ago

» what would you do if you had infinite money? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Apr 5

59 by UnstableBrat »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you committed animal sacrifices?

vasipi4946 - Dec 14, 2022

45 by UnstableBrat »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you love anyone in your life?

LenRea - Mar 31

33 by UnstableBrat »»
9 minutes ago

» What is one thing your country is famous for that you wish it wasn't ( 1 2 )

MadanielFL - Mar 31, 2023

56 by UnstableBrat »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.