Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 24, 2018 9:11 AM

Mar 2018
cipheron said:
Monster said:
What did I just read? Anime is from Japan. We don't call it "Japanese anime".

There are some Chinese-produced series included in the database, but it's usually after they have had a Japanese dub released.

miracle star would like to have a word with ya, xd, but yeah, if available they add it with a dub but most of the time, raw
Aug 24, 2018 9:14 AM

Jul 2017
Phantomnocomics said:
KreatorX said:
Whoa, are there any anime produced in North Korea?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/18007/Dalam-iwa_Goseumdochi

Enjoy this indoctrination in your life!

damn it's been running since 1977

Phantomnocomics said:
n
Shadow_Link said:
well i think your "information" is wrong but good for you i guess

nope total legit, ask any question and i shall answer!

what is the meaning of life?
Aug 24, 2018 9:22 AM

Mar 2018
RedPlaty said:
the real question is what are these taiwan anime

https://myanimelist.net/anime/37767/Xing_Fu_Lu_Shang

thank me later
Aug 24, 2018 9:23 AM

Mar 2018
Zehennagel said:
Phantomnocomics said:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/18007/Dalam-iwa_Goseumdochi

Enjoy this indoctrination in your life!

Phantomnocomics said:
n

nope total legit, ask any question and i shall answer!

the secret of the life is: to die and relive, forever!
Aug 24, 2018 9:23 AM

Mar 2018
Ever_Onward said:
It's pretty obvious what's anime and what's not. People just like to mess with weebs.

wisdom: truer words never said before!
Aug 24, 2018 9:26 AM

Mar 2018
Setsuei said:
Phantomnocomics said:

depends though, sometimes cartoon is associated with Goofy animations

would you count a Hyper realistic drawing/animation of a human a cartoon?

Yes,yes I would. Any animation no matter how realistic can be considered a cartoon.

let's take it this to the new level

woud you consider a motion based animation that's 3 dimensional in a hyper/photographical level based of your image a cartoon?
Aug 24, 2018 9:27 AM

Mar 2018
Arkab said:
so is this the kind of things people use discord for?

there are some goofy times, some times we troll, it's rare to find a serious discussion in there, sometimes we just talk about anime and make fun of it
Aug 24, 2018 9:28 AM

Mar 2018
tambi33 said:
Whaddafug is this bulls*** reading this from just serves to confuse me...
Anime (pronounced ah-nee-meh) is as Japanese play on the word animation; Japanese we this word to refer to global animation, it is the rest of the world that associated it with Japanese animation -and in some cases, following the stylisation of Japanese animation.
Can it not just stay that way, 'cause it seems to be an irritating debate.

EDIT?
uninstallthegame said:
if it's made by a japanese anime studio then it's probably anime

Sums up my point

EDIT AGAIN?
I think another point to be considered is:
Is the source of the source material sourced from Japan etc. For example, a manga or light novel (this wouldn't work in all cases though)

P.S.
I have a feeling this guy is doing this for kicks, 'cause I feel stupid for feeling compelled to write something

he just made it complicated it for the sake of*watch time* and revenue!
Aug 24, 2018 9:31 AM

Oct 2013
Phantomnocomics said:
Setsuei said:

Yes,yes I would. Any animation no matter how realistic can be considered a cartoon.

let's take it this to the new level

woud you consider a motion based animation that's 3 dimensional in a hype/photographical level based of your image a cartoon?

Ok,I'll give you that one,at that point I probably wouldn't consider that a cartoon.
Aug 24, 2018 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
Phantomnocomics said:
Shadow_Link said:

yes their is no JP dub because it was commissioned, produced, and edited by 4kids but its still listed on Studio Gallop website but because it was never released in Japan and it still being listed on their website under Yu-Gi-Oh ALEX for all we know that could be the missing JP dub but since it was never publicly released we will never know

i dont see what your trying to prove by this

here is a short verion of what i said that's simple

don't expect 4-kids, an english licensor to produce a JP dub, reason why there is no JP dub is because konami had no interest.

first of all i want expecting them to do that and second good for you i dont really care like i said before capsule monsters want that grate anyway
Aug 24, 2018 9:51 AM

Mar 2018
YayaChibi said:
Comic_Sans said:
All I know is that whatever the definition is, High Guardian Spice Girls is not an anime

I don't have anything beneficial to post, so I'll quote this shitpost because it sums up my opinion pretty well.

Greatest Quote of all time and space!, fam.
Aug 24, 2018 10:00 AM

Aug 2015
So MAL staff is now making up word definitions so they can have those Chinese animation in their database.Cool
Well good luck adding all those 'anime' in your site.There're like 100 of them last year

Just because it's called MyAnimeList doesn't mean that the database should consist only anime.
Narrator:
We're now at the natural habitat of some of the garbage human beings in the world.
And here,you see one of them is trying to say something intellectual and funny
But he failed.I guess he's too lame to do so.

Aug 24, 2018 10:01 AM

Jul 2017
Phantomnocomics said:
Zehennagel said:

but I have never been living since I'm dead inside! also dead since Im a skeleton, fighting for the great skeleton war!
Aug 24, 2018 10:16 AM

Mar 2018
OklahomanSailor said:
So MAL staff is now making up word definitions so they can have those Chinese animation in their database.Cool
Well good luck adding all those 'anime' in your site.There're like 100 of them last year

Just because it's called MyAnimeList doesn't mean that the database should consist only anime.

if there is a person that deserve a medal of Quickscope moments of anime!, we know who!

very well said fam
Aug 24, 2018 10:17 AM

Mar 2018
Zehennagel said:
Phantomnocomics said:

but I have never been living since I'm dead inside! also dead since Im a skeleton, fighting for the great skeleton war!

it's not the inside that counts, it's the outside as well!, you silly

note: if you are interested about shows of OP skeletons, check Skeleton Soldier (Skeleton Soldier Couldn’t Protect the Dungeon)
Aug 24, 2018 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
the definition is not that deep OP nor does it matter
Aug 24, 2018 11:52 AM

May 2009
UrbanSpaceman said:
The definition of the anime can differ depending on how much weeb you are.
I personally call anime all Japanese cartoons and non-Japanese cartoons using same style of animation (like rwby or castlevania). Just to piss off weebs.
I do that, not to piss off weebs, but because it doesn't make sense that RWBY is considered manga but not anime, while Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker are considered anime.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 24, 2018 11:55 AM

Mar 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
UrbanSpaceman said:
The definition of the anime can differ depending on how much weeb you are.
I personally call anime all Japanese cartoons and non-Japanese cartoons using same style of animation (like rwby or castlevania). Just to piss off weebs.
I do that, not to piss off weebs, but because it doesn't make sense that RWBY is considered manga but not anime, while Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker are considered anime.

wise hermit indeed, you fam are technically correct
Aug 24, 2018 5:27 PM
Aug 2016
lol ur wrong anime doesnt mean animation in latin it means "Who gives a shit"
Aug 24, 2018 6:34 PM

Jul 2017
Goddamn it's so cool that North Korea has anime
Aug 24, 2018 7:12 PM

Mar 2017
KreatorX said:
Whoa, are there any anime produced in North Korea?

If we consider North Korean cartoons as anime, then here's some more:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19329_the-5-craziest-childrens-cartoons-from-north-korea.html
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Aug 24, 2018 7:25 PM

Oct 2013
For me, anime is a term for japanese animation. But everybody has their own meanings.
Aug 25, 2018 12:15 AM

Oct 2012
Anime is literally an abbreviation in Japanese that means "animation", the same animation that is used in English. A Japanese person might describe Disney cartoons as anime -- there is no difference. When ignorant Westerners imported "anime", they either thought it was an unique medium or conveniently ascribed it to such. But this would be like treating "persocon" as some kind of unique Japanese computer, instead of what it means, just "personal computer".

We can also take the position that anime is now an English word that's completely divorced from the original Japanese-English word anime. The new English and non-Japanese word anime means specifically Japanese animations, supposedly, just like manga specifically describe Japanese comic books, and manhwa specifically describe Korean comic books. But those of us who understand some Asian languages are probably uncomfortable with this idea. When you write them out, that is manga (Japanese), manhwa (Korean), manhua (Chinese), it's all the same characters. And it's pretty ridiculous if you were to argue that "beautiful" only describes French people who are pretty, although ignorant people have described "Allah" as the Arabic or Muslim God.

Following the same standard, we might as well say only Americans and British produce "movies", only Japanese produce "eiga", only Chinese produce "dian ying", and only Spanish-speaking countries produce "pelicula".

Or we can be sane and recognize that anime referring to Japanese animation is only a convention, for convenience, and not a formal definition, so that if someone says Rick and Morty is anime, he isn't completely wrong, but you are a dick for arguing about it.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 25, 2018 2:49 AM

Mar 2018
katsucats said:
Anime is literally an abbreviation in Japanese that means "animation", the same animation that is used in English. A Japanese person might describe Disney cartoons as anime -- there is no difference. When ignorant Westerners imported "anime", they either thought it was an unique medium or conveniently ascribed it to such. But this would be like treating "persocon" as some kind of unique Japanese computer, instead of what it means, just "personal computer".

We can also take the position that anime is now an English word that's completely divorced from the original Japanese-English word anime. The new English and non-Japanese word anime means specifically Japanese animations, supposedly, just like manga specifically describe Japanese comic books, and manhwa specifically describe Korean comic books. But those of us who understand some Asian languages are probably uncomfortable with this idea. When you write them out, that is manga (Japanese), manhwa (Korean), manhua (Chinese), it's all the same characters. And it's pretty ridiculous if you were to argue that "beautiful" only describes French people who are pretty, although ignorant people have described "Allah" as the Arabic or Muslim God.

Following the same standard, we might as well say only Americans and British produce "movies", only Japanese produce "eiga", only Chinese produce "dian ying", and only Spanish-speaking countries produce "pelicula".

Or we can be sane and recognize that anime referring to Japanese animation is only a convention, for convenience, and not a formal definition, so that if someone says Rick and Morty is anime, he isn't completely wrong, but you are a dick for arguing about it.

True, but again, using that kind of terminology is not new at all, par example, etymologically speaking people around the world still refer to cacao as chocolate because that's how they adapted the word, or *Eclair* which means thunder to refer to the french sweet, it's simple, people now a days simply adapt words from other languages with no care for their meaning and only for their use and like said: convenience because that sound more comfortable and natural to them!

anime is no exception to that, but the difference between this word and those is that the word is vague in its homeland, let alone a foreigner figuring out what it means in the spot!
Aug 25, 2018 2:50 AM

Mar 2018
xchyssa said:
For me, anime is a term for japanese animation. But everybody has their own meanings.

i applause to you in a very slow clapping way
Aug 25, 2018 5:50 AM

Mar 2018
too lazy to even know what is being talked about lol
Aug 25, 2018 7:20 AM

Dec 2016
Monster said:
What did I just read? Anime is from Japan. We don't call it "Japanese anime".

^ the real 200IQ guy here, topic should've been closed after this post
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Aug 25, 2018 9:33 AM

Oct 2013
MAL's application of the criteria for anime is the equivalent as champagne is to France. Yes, you can have sparkling wines outside of the region that are near equivalent but these wines are not champagne. Yes, you can similar styled animation in the North American or European markets, but on MAL it is not included as anime if is not targeted somewhat to a traditional anime market.

Why does MAL use such restrictive terms? Historically, there have been three main reasons. One, many users do not consider animation produced for outside countries to be anime. To keep these users happy and the site focused, only these shows have been included. Two, there are database limitations and including cartoons with anime elements would significantly increase the scale of the database. This would increase the cost to MAL and require significantly more volunteer time from admin/mods which is already limited. Third, historically one of the purposes of this site (beside keeping track of what you have watched) has been to provide a resource for difficult to come by database information of anime/manga from Asia. Western releases such as those on Netflix are readily available for people to find and track. Whereas, some of my personal favourite manga and anime I would have never found without this site. MAL has continued to keep this focus rather than providing information that is already widely available. Ultimately, these are all valid reasons to restrict the definition of anime to what it is.

You are mistaken in thinking that MAL has defined anime under such restrictive term.

MAL has not defined anime at all. It has only defined what anime is allowed into the database.

You are free to have your own definition, which many users do including myself. However, MAL as mentioned for the reasons above, will continue to apply the restrictive filter to additions to its database.
shawnofthedeadzAug 25, 2018 9:37 AM
Aug 25, 2018 9:48 AM

Apr 2014
Thread locked

MyAnimeList doesn't define "anime", rather it has guidelines to it's database and which anime are added.
If you were to go after the japanese definition of anime then every single cartoon on earth would be an anime.

These posts might help you with what's allowed to be added to the database:
- https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1668815#msg52532383
- https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1668815&show=50#msg52578762
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

33 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

215 by ISeeLifePeople »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
11 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
11 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.