Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 19, 2018 1:30 PM
a car

Jun 2017
I feel like the new director is falling flat on their face so far with some of that classic, low-budget anime goodness (ex. the many close-ups), versus how regular S;G was with its off the wall stuff. Even the person whom I'm watching this with thinks that it looks stilted compared to the previous anime.

But according to the Anituber Chibi Reviews, he says that the direction isn't that much different and feels "just like OG Steins;Gate".

Tbh I'm a complete noob when it comes to cinema, so I'd like some additional thoughts on this aspect of S;G 0.
Apr 19, 2018 2:35 PM
Apr 2016
The animation is indeed really cheap, even compared to the first anime. But it s not a lack of skill, they clearly didn t had enough money. There are a lot of non moving pictures and the characters don t move when talking.

I don t think it will get better in the next episodes. You are only the second person noticing the bad animation
Apr 19, 2018 2:49 PM

May 2016
Ehh, It's still miles better than your average modern anime production and that's what matters most.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Apr 19, 2018 3:05 PM

Apr 2015
My guess is that they’re saving the animation for later for the juicy and good parts.
Apr 19, 2018 3:22 PM
Oct 2012
And I thought I was the only one that noticed how cheap Steins;Gate 0 looks so far. I figured it was just my imagination since I just finished Violet Evergarden, and basically any anime I see from now on will just look like shit by comparison.
Apr 19, 2018 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
We're two episodes in and like 80% of them are dialogue holy shit
Franck_Nicolas said:
The animation is indeed really cheap, even compared to the first anime. But it s not a lack of skill, they clearly didn t had enough money. There are a lot of non moving pictures and the characters don t move when talking.
I don t think it will get better in the next episodes. You are only the second person noticing the bad animation

It's funny how close-ups, cutaways etc. are such powerful tools in movies used for dramatic effect, portraying emotions, showing a detail and so on and so forth, but when they're used in anime it's just "cheap" and "low-budget" and "bad animation".
You lot should go teach Christopher Doyle a lesson, considering your infinite knowledge on the topic of cinematography. Complaining that there are not enough moving pictures and comparing it to the first anime even though the mood should be (and is) completely different. MAL critics at their finest

PS: Chibi is trash
Apr 19, 2018 5:06 PM
Apr 2018
It could be better thus far it doesn't feel like S;G however it could be argued that, that's the point. S;G 0 is much darker than S;G and in terms of anime adaptation S;G 0 is perfect for an adaptation. So far I would say they are trying to distance themselves from S;G while still being S;G this makes it feel diffrent, this can be a good thing in the future. Thus far it has been good but not S;G good, we've seen Okabe's trauma represented amazingly with a few shots that take less than a minute which is something the original had problems with. I think the directing isn't able to be judged yet, we need to wait until a key moment happens and see how it is handled. Right now we have build up not much else.
Apr 19, 2018 10:50 PM
Apr 2016
TokiWoKezuru said:
We're two episodes in and like 80% of them are dialogue holy shit
Franck_Nicolas said:

It's funny how close-ups, cutaways etc. are such powerful tools in movies used for dramatic effect, portraying emotions, showing a detail and so on and so forth, but when they're used in anime it's just "cheap" and "low-budget" and "bad animation".
You lot should go teach Christopher Doyle a lesson, considering your infinite knowledge on the topic of cinematography. Complaining that there are not enough moving pictures and comparing it to the first anime even though the mood should be (and is) completely different. MAL critics at their finest

PS: Chibi is trash

I m not talking about how the anime is directed. Maybe the cuts and sequences you re talking about are powerful tools. But these powerful sequences are still badly animated and non moving.
Apr 19, 2018 11:54 PM
Oct 2017
all replies have been negative so far but in my opinion it feels very nostalgic to the OG and I don't think it's cheap, the artstyle is very good, and I'm enjoying it as much as the OG (which is too much to even put into words)
Apr 20, 2018 2:03 AM

Jan 2013
all their budget went into the opening. like hell it did. is this persona5 v2? do yourself a favor and read the vn instead.
Apr 20, 2018 5:07 AM

Feb 2015
Every character got a breasts upgrade, are those enhancements a by product of the Beta timeline?

Apr 20, 2018 5:16 AM

Oct 2016
SteelingMax said:
Every character got a breasts upgrade, are those enhancements a by product of the Beta timeline?

It was the choice of steins;gate!
"It's the same sense of loss I feel when a slice-of-life series ends... The despair of knowing that their lives will still continue on, yet I won't be able to see it..."
~Hajime Tsunashi from Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
Apr 20, 2018 5:32 AM

Nov 2013
You can easily tell this by looking at how many production companies worked on the first season, compared to Steins;Gate 0, it only has Nitroplus. I have found that usually when an anime has a lot bigger staff, the overall quality is better.

It is not hard to tell tbh, all you would have to do is go back and rewatch the origial Steins;Gate and you could tell the difference in quality.

Not saying 0 is bad or anything because it’s way too early to tell. And I agree with what others have said, the animation still looks a lot better than most other anime airing right now.
Apr 20, 2018 2:35 PM
a car

Jun 2017
Franck_Nicolas said:

I agree about the money. I'm sure the team cares deeply about S;G but the higher-ups probably viewed the anime as a cash cow so they were given the bare minimum amount of money to work with.

HibiChika said:
all their budget went into the opening. like hell it did. is this persona5 v2? do yourself a favor and read the vn instead.

Don't worry; I played the VN. Otherwise I wouldn't simulcast this show.
Apr 20, 2018 9:18 PM

Jul 2016
I think they try to keep up with the atmosphere of the original
S;G was never known for it's animation or graphic

And i'm a bit confused here
Ciinematography skill =/= Animation quality
As long they can still maintain the mood "This is still Steins;Gate" then i'm good

A good example of where visual is important in anime is like this season SnS
Hell, i'm feel like watching slide show
But S;G is about emotional atmosphere at the very least, so i'm pleased with the directing so far
Apr 20, 2018 10:34 PM
Jun 2015
HibiChika said:

Persona 5 is way worse tbh. I still can't believe they messed up an All-Out Attack animation.
Apr 21, 2018 3:33 AM

Nov 2014
I don't really see much of a huge problem. Hyper-detailed backgrounds or sparkly things moving all over the screen isn't really needed.

My guess is that your issue stems from the show using close-ups to emphasise the relatively mild emotions Okabe displays, after all it needs to make sure the entire show isn't too static. In addition, Okabe isn't a lively mad scientist anymore, so you don't have that to entertain you.

What part of the animation in the original could you bring to this? They did well to show their animation off by taking advantage of an eccentric Okabe in the original, but none of that can be applied here. Frankly they are doing pretty well in ensuring dialogue scenes of a relatively mellow and quiet cast of characters aren't stale.

TokiWoKezuru said:
Indeed, and frankly I think they did rather well shifting from the lively Okabe with exaggerated movements to close-ups that highlights the emotions of a milder Okabe.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 21, 2018 4:22 AM

Aug 2017
I certainly feel like it has less of an identity compared to the first, and I would say the overall production is indeed lower, but it still portrays the situation and characters very well I think
Apr 21, 2018 4:38 AM

Nov 2015
Surely, it's suffering a bit from a low/tight budget. Steins;Gate had like 5 producers, but 0 has only Nitroplus itself. It's obvious.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2018 6:09 AM

Oct 2008
atmosphere is non-existent in comparison to the original. plus a few awkward floaty scenes
Apr 21, 2018 6:18 AM

Nov 2015
simo000 said:
atmosphere is non-existent in comparison to the original. plus a few awkward floaty scenes
The original was about mystery and confusion and summer and Hououin Kyouma. 0 is about suffering and anguish and winter and Okabe Rintaro. Atmosphere is more than definitely there, but they can't be the same atmosphere.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2018 6:24 AM

Jun 2016
I'd say so far it's certainly weaker than the original Steins;Gate, but it still far from bad. Give it time mannnnn
Apr 21, 2018 6:34 AM
Oct 2017
its better than the original. the "wacky" framing in steins;gate was distracting and usually looked pretty ugly compositionally
Apr 21, 2018 7:32 AM

Sep 2016
I think its ok, im fine with the art and animation, what really matters is how will they execute the story the directing is still good since its still the beginning , im still worried in the later episodes
Apr 21, 2018 8:15 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Not sure why people are having a problem with S;G 0's visual direction. If anything, the original anime has more off-model character designs when shown from far away. S;G 0 has been more on model, though a large factor to this is the somewhat limited animations. That being said, S;G 0 has been just dialogues so far, so there's not many moments that need a lot of animation effort going towards it. Background artwork is also quite fine too.

I think people are confusing "atmosphere" for animation. The amount of effort put into S;G 0 is similar to the original, but the atmosphere in the two series are quite different, making S;G 0 have a different visual feel to it. S;G 0's atmosphere is intentionally different though, and it changes more and more throughout the story.
Apr 21, 2018 9:37 AM
Feb 2017
It's about as good/bad as the original Steins; Gate.

Apr 25, 2018 11:05 PM

Feb 2014
AX3M said:
simo000 said:
The original was about mystery and confusion and summer and Hououin Kyouma. 0 is about suffering and anguish and winter and Okabe Rintaro. Atmosphere is more than definitely there, but they can't be the same atmosphere.

Except, I don't "feel" the winter atmosphere here. The only reason I even know it's winter in this show is because you now and then see the characters walk around wearing trench coats and scarfs. The show rarely ever tries to build a winter-y atmosphere, through its visuals and sound design, unlike what the first series did with summer.

This ain't no "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" either (the best depiction of winter I've seen in any anime). THAT is how you do atmosphere AND integrate it into your story, to depict certain emotions, like the feeling of emptiness, depression, and loneliness, which are often associated with winter. S;G 0 missed the opportunity to get that across about Okabe by not doing much with the atmosphere. At least as of episode 3 anyway.
Apr 26, 2018 4:51 AM
Apr 2016
Yeah and i never feel that i m could be actually here like in the first season because they never really show the places, they just make close up sequences of details. And sometimes the background is black ! or really simple and show notinh of the environment...
Apr 26, 2018 11:05 AM
Jul 2015
I don't think there is anything lackluster about the animation itself in Steins;Gate 0. I honestly think the downgrade everyone is sensing from the original comes from shot direction and sound design. The new director likes his wide angle conversation shots, which juxtaposes the close shots found in the original. This might be something he is intentionally dialing back as he waits for more emotionally charged moments to break out the effective angles, but I think so far he has done a poor job harking back to the original. While he continues with a minimalist soundtrack like the original, ambient sounds ( like the oh so memorable secaidas) are missing almost entirely.
Apr 26, 2018 2:20 PM
Nov 2016
In my opinion Steins;Gate 0 is doing good so far, its still the beginning, we don't have to see anything "spectacular" yet, the original Steins;Gate had a pretty slow start and it sky rocketed into awesomeness from episode 12 and up.

Its still too early to judge Steins;Gate 0 but so far is all good, my only complaint would be the CGI used for Kurisu, in episode 3 her CGI was not constant, in some parts she was in CGI and in other parts she had normal drawing which is a bit awkward.

If they going to make Kurisu in CGI then they should keep her in CGI for consistency.
Apr 26, 2018 3:28 PM
Jan 2017
xZabuzax said:
In my opinion Steins;Gate 0 is doing good so far, its still the beginning, we don't have to see anything "spectacular" yet, the original Steins;Gate had a pretty slow start and it sky rocketed into awesomeness from episode 12 and up.

Its still too early to judge Steins;Gate 0 but so far is all good, my only complaint would be the CGI used for Kurisu, in episode 3 her CGI was not constant, in some parts she was in CGI and in other parts she had normal drawing which is a bit awkward.

If they going to make Kurisu in CGI then they should keep her in CGI for consistency.

They made her CG on purpose because Amadeus kurisu is supposed to be portrayed as a 3d model in the app. They show her in 2d when they show actual Kurisu.
Apr 26, 2018 9:33 PM
Apr 2016
The 3d kurisu looks good. To me it feels more like an AI app like this
Apr 27, 2018 2:22 AM
Nov 2016
alucab said:
xZabuzax said:

They made her CG on purpose because Amadeus kurisu is supposed to be portrayed as a 3d model in the app. They show her in 2d when they show actual Kurisu.

The thing is, the "actual Kurisu" is the amadeus AI which appeared in 2D on some parts, you can clearly see her in 2D in Okabe's phone.
Apr 27, 2018 2:44 AM

Nov 2015
xZabuzax said:
alucab said:

The thing is, the "actual Kurisu" is the amadeus AI which appeared in 2D on some parts, you can clearly see her in 2D in Okabe's phone.
I think it was meant to be CGI, as it was described to be so in the VN. But this episode 3 is just meaning to show that Okabe started to
. At least that's what I believe is the reason for that.
Apr 27, 2018 2:50 AM
Nov 2016
AX3M said:
xZabuzax said:

I think it was meant to be CGI, as it was described to be so in the VN. But this episode 3 is just meaning to show that Okabe started to
. At least that's what I believe is the reason for that.

Yeah that kinda makes sense, Okabe might be starting to see her that way.
Apr 28, 2018 3:19 AM

Jan 2013
probably a little too late to the party in noticing yet another blunder, but damn quality;control-gate really needs to pay more attention to details. since when did kurisu have 6 fingers? another sing the production team doesn't even give a gelshit about the success of this anime since they take the past adaptation's accomplishment for granted.
Apr 28, 2018 10:54 AM
Apr 2016
HibiChika said:
probably a little too late to the party in noticing yet another blunder, but damn quality;control-gate really needs to pay more attention to details. since when did kurisu have 6 fingers? another sing the production team doesn't even give a gelshit about the success of this anime since they take the past adaptation's accomplishment for granted.

Wow XD maybe it s another timeline where kurisu grew another finger? rofl
Apr 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Nov 2016
HibiChika said:

Woah nice find there, can't believe they made that amateurish mistake in the opening, even though I love Steins;Gate (best anime ever!) I'm a little bit worried for Steins;Gate 0 because of stuff like this. Who should be blamed for errors like this, the new director?

There's also another error in episode 2, it was Maho login screen on her computer, her login name had a typo in it. Yeah, this is worrying...
Apr 28, 2018 11:30 AM

Aug 2013
Well, it's not like I loved first Steins;Gate because of animation (which was pretty average as well). It's not THAT different to be honest. And I wonder, I'm the only one who actually likes closeups?
I'm fine with things like this as long as it's not 3DCG. And about Kurisu in/as Amadeus - 3D model feels right in this case and it meant be like this imo.
rsc-plApr 28, 2018 11:33 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 28, 2018 11:42 AM

Aug 2013
It is completely fine and enjoyable so far and I'm sure it will become better in the next episodes or maybe in the blue-ray release.
I almost dropped the original one at episode 2 then it became one of my top 10 shows so I think you should give it some time.
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Apr 29, 2018 3:07 AM
May 2017
I think the show is absolutely fantastic in the depression view. The character movement, their facial expression and the dialogue are all in line with each other and exhibit a deeply sad environment. In fact this is somehow above the previous show in many ways especially in the beginning episodes where they pick up everything quickly. The OP and ED are so epic, and the animation is so convincing with the lyric meaning that I was shocked when first look at them. The background may be less impressive but the art level of details in each character is absolutely better. I don't know how to express this but it seems they fix a little bit in each small angle and thus makes the character more easy to comprehend and likeable. Overall I love it. When I finally graduate and get a job next year i will probably buy this anime after my 1st month payment lol.
Takros_KnonnarApr 29, 2018 4:48 AM
May 2, 2018 11:43 PM

Mar 2009
It's obviously going to take a hit without Hamasaki's directorial flair. Dude's a god.

But uhh, it's serviceable so far.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate 0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Mxxxstation - Aug 8, 2018

104 by Twerms »»
Apr 21, 12:45 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate 0 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2018

572 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Apr 18, 8:11 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate 0 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mxxxstation - Aug 22, 2018

163 by Alrinth »»
Apr 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate 0 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

197 by Alrinth »»
Apr 9, 3:17 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate 0 Episode 11 Discussion

Mxxxstation - Aug 8, 2018

38 by Alrinth »»
Apr 7, 4:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.