Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2018 5:39 AM
Aug 2016
Hey I got curious, but what's the deal with Madoka Magica and Cardcaptor Sakura? Other than magical girls, any similarities/tied with the same universe? I got really curious cause I found they have similar or the same themes OPs and EDs
Apr 2, 2018 5:44 AM

Dec 2015
SunfushinoKana15 said:
Hey I got curious, but what's the deal with Madoka Magica and Cardcaptor Sakura? Other than magical girls, any similarities/tied with the same universe? I got really curious cause I found they have similar or the same themes OPs and EDs

It's the same shit for weeaboo in lack of love like this :
Apr 2, 2018 5:57 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Nothing and they are not related in any way, except for some genres.
Apr 2, 2018 6:07 AM

Feb 2013
that's cause all mahou shoujos are the same lol
Apr 2, 2018 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
SunfushinoKana15 said:
Hey I got curious, but what's the deal with Madoka Magica and Cardcaptor Sakura? Other than magical girls, any similarities/tied with the same universe?

CCS and PMMM (my absolute FAVORITE anime, by the way) have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other - except share the same Mahou Shoujo genre, is all.

I mean, the latter (PMMM) takes a much DARKER approach as well as deconstructs the whole genre while the former really doesn't, so...
Apr 2, 2018 8:09 AM

Feb 2016
SunfushinoKana15 said:

the fuck?
they have absolutely nothing in common except the vague genre
pass the blunt
Apr 2, 2018 8:12 AM

Jun 2014
I'm a magical girl fan, but I'm not a fan of Cardcaptor Sakura or Madoka Magica.

One's a psychological seinen, and the other contains a disturbing age gap.

Apr 2, 2018 8:16 AM

Jul 2015
@Seiya I don't remember the age gap in Madoka (^%
Apr 2, 2018 8:17 AM

Jun 2014
Clebardman said:

I was referring to Cardcaptor Sakura on that.

Apr 2, 2018 8:27 AM

Dec 2012
Card captor sakura is the cutesy type except that she doesn't transform and her friend makes her costumes to wear.

while madoka ehmm guess its a bit dark?

© 花巻 花郎 @ pixiv.net
Apr 2, 2018 8:34 AM
Oct 2013
Seiya said:
Clebardman said:

You´re refering on Sakura´s crush on her brothers best friend?
What´s the deal with it. As far as I´m aware it never grows beyond that.

Also I´d recomment to people who keep shouting "deconstruction" at everything that restrains itself from copying 90% of it´s plot from the original formula which initiated a genre to buy a dictionary.

Sailor Moon used to be a "DECONSTRUCTION" of Mahou Shoujou stereotypes and reworked most of the rules 90% of modern magical girl Anime copy nowadays.
By the inconsistent logic stupid pretentious people keep using Cardcaptor Sakura qualifies more as a "DECONSTRUCTION" of the Mahou Shoujo genre inspired by Sailor Moon. Because "spoiler alert" the concept of the girls dying just to get revived in Madoka Magica through bullshit was already explored multiple times in Sailor Moon thrugh several arcs.

The Sailor scouts died like 3 times each.
IsterioApr 2, 2018 8:48 AM
Apr 2, 2018 8:35 AM
Aug 2011
They aren't really the same outside of both being really popular, though the new Cardcaptor Sakura isn't up there with views it's above an 8 which is good on MAL.

Cardcaptor Sakura is a lot more laid back where as Madoka Magica is not really a lighthearted series at all.
Apr 2, 2018 8:42 AM

Jun 2014
Isterio said:
Seiya said:

You´re refering on Sakura´s crush on her brothers best friend?
What´s the deal with it. As far as I´m aware it never grows beyond that.

No, I'm referring to some little girl named Rika Sasaki, who falls in love with her teacher. Ruined the whole thing for me.

Apr 2, 2018 8:53 AM
Oct 2013
Seiya said:

No, I'm referring to some little girl named Rika Sasaki, who falls in love with her teacher. Ruined the whole thing for me.

Ok, excuse my lack of knowledge, because I´ve seen Cardcaptor Sakura only sporadically. What i remember was her BFF whose cosplay obsession had lesbian undertones, the magical boy with the cool windpowers, her overly sweet single father, her big bro and his BF who she had a crush on.

Can fully understand your distaste for such a display, but Clamp always had an "aquired" taste.
Apr 2, 2018 8:53 AM

Jul 2015
TBH, I'm currently watching Sailor Moon and trying to find her relationship with Tuxedo Kamen normal and not creepy... But it's really hard (^:
Apr 2, 2018 8:58 AM
Feb 2018
Other than one is fine but Madoka is dogshit?
Apr 2, 2018 9:05 AM

Jun 2014
Isterio said:
Seiya said:

Ok, excuse my lack of knowledge, because I´ve seen Cardcaptor Sakura only sporadically. What i remember was her BFF whose cosplay obsession had lesbian undertones, the magical boy with the cool windpowers, her overly sweet single father, her big bro and his BF who she had a crush on.

Can fully understand your distaste for such a display, but Clamp always had an "aquired" taste.

I've only seen a couple episodes of CCS. The only reason I know about the disturbing age gap, is because I read somewhere about it. But yeah, Clamp really isn't my cup of tea.

Clebardman said:
TBH, I'm currently watching Sailor Moon and trying to find her relationship with Tuxedo Kamen normal and not creepy... But it's really hard (^:

At least with Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen, the age gap is only 3 years.

With CCS, you have a 10 year old girl with her 20-something year old teacher.

Apr 2, 2018 9:22 AM
Oct 2013
Clebardman said:

What´s the issue? She´s a ditzy aihead and he´s a teenager whose parents died in an accident and therefore he´s far more mature.
Apr 2, 2018 9:28 AM

Jul 2015
@Isterio @Seiya Wait, he just looks in his twenties? (^':
Fucking shoujo anatomy.
Apr 2, 2018 9:39 AM

Nov 2007
There are only two things in common:

1. Both are Magical Girl anime.
2. Both are considered two of the greatest anime of all time.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 2, 2018 9:43 AM

Jun 2014
shanimebib said:

Nope, sorry. That is absolutely not true.

Apr 2, 2018 9:49 AM

Nov 2007
Seiya said:
shanimebib said:

Like I was the one who voted in NHK and TBS polls last year, the biggest polls conducted ever.
Coronavirus.
Apr 2, 2018 9:53 AM

Jun 2014
shanimebib said:
Seiya said:

Like I was the one who voted in NHK and TBS polls last year, the biggest polls conducted ever.

So, you think that your opinion speaks for everyone else's?

Lol.

Apr 2, 2018 9:54 AM

Dec 2016
Clebardman said:

But it's normal for 13-14 yo girls to have crushes for 17-18 yo guys. I mean... that is what I saw all the time in my high-school years.

I would say Naru's ("Molly") almost-relationship with Nephrite was the more "creepy" one, since he was way older than Mamoru.
Apr 2, 2018 10:04 AM

Jun 2014
velvetPhos said:
Seiya said:
One's a psychological seinen, and the other contains a disturbing age gap.

I mean aimed demographic is shoujo, so…
It’s easy for adults to realize it’s kind of creepy relationship, but for young girls, it’s surprisingly hard to realize.
Many CCS fans I know didn’t think it was somewhat odd relationship until they have grown up to adults.

To be fair, when Cardcaptor Sakura aired on TV in North America years ago, it was edited/censored, and all hints of the Sasaki relationship were removed.

Apr 2, 2018 10:07 AM

Nov 2007
Seiya said:
shanimebib said:

Lol.

Read what I said "carefully" again and you'll "probably" realize how "stupid" and "irrelevant" your remark was.
Coronavirus.
Apr 2, 2018 10:09 AM

Jun 2014
shanimebib said:
Seiya said:

Lol.

Read what I said "carefully" again and you'll "probably" realize how "stupid" and "irrelevant" your remark was.

Who cares if you voted in polls. That means nothing to me.

Apr 2, 2018 10:28 AM
Oct 2017
there was an interview with akiyuki shinobu and he said they were part of the same universe and there's another anime with ninjas that's part of it also
Apr 2, 2018 10:33 AM

Jun 2014
velvetPhos said:
Seiya said:

To be fair, when Cardcaptor Sakura aired on TV in North America years ago, it was edited/censored, and all hints of the Sasaki relationship were removed.

That is pretty interesting fact, but do you really think giving example of censoring in the continent that censors everything because of large number of oversensitive people add anything to your argument?
Don’t forget the infamous “4 kids” is in North America, too.

Personally, I don't really care what you think.

This conversation is over.

Apr 2, 2018 11:52 AM

Jul 2015
Cardcaptor Sakura is nothing like Madoka, which was sort of tragic in a way, but Sakura is more of a light hearted Shojo anime and manga crerated by CLAMP.
CC Sakura is also hunting down Clow cards which escaped or are out there, and she can use captured cards, that is nothing like Madoka Magica.
Apr 2, 2018 12:39 PM

Apr 2017
Clebardman said:

sailor moon isn't a very good mahou shoujo if you ask me, it's even worse than puta madoka tbh.

drop it and embrace the greatness of carcaptor sakura.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Apr 2, 2018 12:46 PM

Dec 2016
S-quare22 said:

sailor moon isn't a very good mahou shoujo if you ask me, it's even worse than puta madoka tbh.

What exactly is so wrong with Sailor Moon? I'm curious.
Apr 2, 2018 12:57 PM

Jun 2014
Glenfinnan said:
S-quare22 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I saw Sailor Moon when it first aired in North America back in 1995, and I always enjoyed it.

I'm not a fan of Cardcaptor Sakura at all.

Apr 2, 2018 1:03 PM
Oct 2013
Glenfinnan said:
S-quare22 said:

Concepts and ideas are all quite good, but it´s accompanied by dialogue on the level of Yu Gi Oh.
And I mean the original script. Sailor Jupiter and Neptune remained lesbians in our precious german dub, Usagi was named Bunny (no Sarina bs) and we also had by far the best first opening:
Doesn´t get anymore 90´s than this.
Apr 2, 2018 1:10 PM

Apr 2012
Glenfinnan said:

It's not awful or anything, but the predominance of "monster of the week" episodes (where the monsters or their solutions aren't at all interesting.) and repeated footage are significant problems, and it frequently has problems giving its adversaries motivations beyond "evil". Madoka and CCS are both significantly better.
Apr 2, 2018 1:16 PM

Apr 2017
Glenfinnan said:
S-quare22 said:

I'm sure that you've heard about "generic shounens" before right? Well, sailor moon is just a generic shoujo.

"elles sont bien noires

Apr 2, 2018 1:27 PM

Apr 2012
S-quare22 said:
I'm sure that you've heard about "generic shounens" before right? Well, sailor moon is just a generic shoujo.

Hmm, I'm not sure you can call something which invented a subgenre "generic".
Apr 2, 2018 1:30 PM

Apr 2017
logopolis said:
S-quare22 said:

Hmm, I'm not sure you can call something which invented a subgenre "generic".

May I ask why? I mean..it doesn't matter if it invented subgenre or not.

"elles sont bien noires

Apr 2, 2018 1:42 PM

Apr 2012
S-quare22 said:

That means, at the time it was made, there was nothing else like it. Which is pretty much the opposite of what "generic" means.
Apr 2, 2018 1:53 PM
Oct 2013
logopolis said:
S-quare22 said:

That means, at the time it was made, there was nothing else like it. Which is pretty much the opposite of what "generic" means.

Pretty much the reason why the "generic" Dragon Ball is the grandfather of all modern shounen and not Saint Seiya or YuYu Hakusho or Jojo´s or insert hipster Anime/Manga that lived in the shadow of Dragon Ball here.

What Evangelion did for mecha Sailor Moon did far more effectively for the magical girl genre.

Thank god that at least some people can think logically.
IsterioApr 2, 2018 1:58 PM
Apr 2, 2018 1:59 PM

May 2009
SunfushinoKana15 said:
They're not even by the same folks. CCS is a CLAMP work, while MadoMagi is an Urobuchi work.

Their theme songs are also quite stylistically different. "Catch You Catch Me" and "Tobira wo Akete" are both like, peppy 90s pop, though I guess "Platinum" is somewhat closer to the more lyrical tone of "CONNECT".

"Groovy!" and "Fruits Candy" are also peppy 90s pop, and "Honey" is somewhat less peppy but more comforting in its feel. "Mata Ashita" is somewhat closer to "Honey", except a lot more cutesy in its voice style. And CCS has nothing like "Magia" for any of its theme songs (not to mention its literary themes).

Basically the only thing common between them is that they both use magical girl genre elements.

If there's a lineage, it probably goes CCS -> Nanoha -> MadoMagi.

Seiya said:
shanimebib said:

Who cares if you voted in polls. That means nothing to me.
I think @shanimebib is sarcastically remarking "like I was the one who decided their popularity? of course not; they actually had polls about this", but shanimebib didn't communicate that meaning clearly.
GlennMagusHarveyApr 2, 2018 2:03 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

16 by Rhae »»
36 seconds ago

Poll: » Japanese Anime and its Relationship to the Source Material vs Western Media

LSSJ_Gaming - 23 minutes ago

4 by Lucifrost »»
4 minutes ago

» 3x3/Grid thread

Johan420 - Apr 28

17 by -Kugeki- »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you pick new anime to watch thinking you probably will like it? Or just picking whatever is popular?

Rinrinka - Yesterday

35 by Nirinbo »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 2 hours ago

17 by deg »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.