Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2018 5:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That is one crazy guy. Not just the physical features on his face but also such a sadistic personality and obsesssion with drinking vegetable oil. Poor Yui, having to live with him...

I also feel bad for the characters going through all the stress in their lives that the granny.
Stark700Mar 9, 2018 7:54 AM
Mar 9, 2018 8:00 AM

Jun 2014
Never really a fan of the story in the first half.
it really strikes me as nothing but disgusting, the anime did it fine though.
The second half, well the imagery don't really deliver, the rotten deads in the manga look much more disturbing, otherwise it was okay, the voice acting is convincing and does get creepy at times.
Mar 9, 2018 8:22 AM
Oct 2017

deen really butchered this panel in the exact way i was expecting them to do it. really was hoping they wouldn't do glyceride
Mar 9, 2018 8:25 AM

Jan 2017
This episode was enough to make me fucking vomit. Just disgusting.

Mar 9, 2018 8:32 AM

Jun 2015
There was so much oil in the first story and all those pimples was disgusting. The second story was okay.
Mar 9, 2018 8:42 AM

Sep 2011
I don't think anyone will disagree that the first story was pretty gross... Blegh...

The second one was fine, neither the best nor the worst this show has given us.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Mar 9, 2018 8:43 AM
Mar 2017
I think they did bridge really well even if the art was kinda lacking (though thats kinda to be expected with this show)
Mar 9, 2018 8:50 AM

Aug 2012
Well, I chose the wrong anime to watch while eating breakfast..
Mar 9, 2018 8:53 AM
Mar 2017
Alecks said:
Hope you enjoyed the show come again next week
Mar 9, 2018 9:31 AM

Dec 2014
fuck the first story was scary...I think the father was actually cooking his own son that's why the son disappeared in between... gross

the second story was mortifying
Mar 9, 2018 9:42 AM

May 2017
Fuck, as much as possible I would usually try to watch an episode of this in daylight and this is the third time I watch an episode of this at night, big mistake, worst episode to watch at night
Mar 9, 2018 9:58 AM

Mar 2013
ok these abrupt endings are starting to annoy me the grease one just ended with nothing happening. It seems several people were grossed out by the first part but I think they could have done better especially during the puss dripping part that part should have been gross but it looked like toothpaste was coming out of his face. is it messed up that I wanted to see how quickly the house would have caught fire if someone light a match? so I'm just going to assume that the father killed his son and served him to the customers and was attempting to do the same to yui.

the second half kind of pissed me off especially the whole it was a dream but then it turns out to be true. it was sort of an interesting conclusion especially when you find out that the reason everyone was calling to her is so she could be with the one she loves a little bit on the messed up side but whatever. honestly I thought they were going to say that those who sunk were never truly able to pass on to the next life so they appear on the bridge but nope.

any who this episode was meh for me wasn't grossed out by the first half and wasn't sad during the second half.
Mar 9, 2018 10:11 AM

Nov 2014
First story was disgusting and always will be disgusting... The part when Yui’s brother squeezes all his pimples onto her face was lackluster. I remember reading that part in the manga and feeling violated myself. But this anime has definitely made it clear that any anime adaptation of Junji’s stories just does not pack the same punch that his manga did.

The second story just... wasn’t good for me. Not even the manga was. It didn’t really go anywhere. What the hell was the point of adapting that?
This is basically the gist:
Mar 9, 2018 10:24 AM

Jul 2014
lol first story was gross that was great
Mar 9, 2018 10:58 AM

Aug 2007
What a disgusting and horrible was the first story. Thanks that I wans't eating something.
Mar 9, 2018 11:03 AM

Dec 2017
oh boy Greased, one of my favorite chapter in Shiver. it was just plain gross, how come there’s someone who loves drinking vegetable oil so much ugh. the bad thing is, in the manga, the girl ended up locked herself inside the house so we dont exactly know she have a good ending or not, i just cant stand living like that.

the art is kind of nailed it, but as usual, Deen cannot replicate masterpiece.

second story is fine, if only the ghost face is way more detailed, it would be very scary
Mar 9, 2018 11:29 AM

Oct 2012
Alecks said:

I was eating my lunch and had to stop. So disgusting.

I kept expecting the girl to burn the whole place down. I also expected the ghosts to pull the younger woman into the water especially when one commented that the grandma might be too old now to marry.
Mar 9, 2018 12:08 PM

Dec 2013
that oil one was so disgusting it almost made me puke. legit hilarious how they were trying to do this though LOL

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Mar 9, 2018 12:21 PM

Nov 2009
I've never read Junji Ito's manga, so I didnt know how that was going to turn out...I thought I was gonna puke...I cant get that part out of my mind..never have I ever screamed while watching an anime and felt sick from it.. lol 5/5 for me >u>
毎日, 日本語を勉強する
Mar 9, 2018 12:32 PM

Sep 2013
The pimple fat being squirted on the girl was disappointing, it should have been thicker drawn and more greasy like.
The river ghosts was okay but needed a better ending.
Mar 9, 2018 1:12 PM

Sep 2017
It was decent, animation was pretty lackluster as always but I expected that. I hoped Greased wouldn't be animated but oh well
Mar 9, 2018 1:54 PM

Mar 2010
Amazing job at animating these! I'd forgotten them both and seeing them again in motion was defientily a treat! Looks like they fixed the art inconsistencies as well, which is awesome!

Mar 9, 2018 3:15 PM

Feb 2015
I knew they were gonna adapt that story with the pimples, It definitely could've been better but I feel like it still did it's job in being extremely disgusting. The second story I thought the manga version was okay but I wasn't a big fan of this adaptation, mainly because the rotting bodies were much more disturbing in the manga.
Mar 9, 2018 3:23 PM

Jul 2016
That was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in an anime, shit!! I've never thought I'd be so grateful about the animation quality in this show. Definitely, I wouldn't want to see that scene with better hand drawn style.

And related to the second story, the idea was good but in the end nothing really happened. Hanako wasn't even able to prevent her grandma from the town's tradition. And of course, I found the ghosts' desing very lacking but after the first part, I'm not gonna complain about it neither.

modboy said:
I kept expecting the girl to burn the whole place down. I also expected the ghosts to pull the younger woman into the water especially when one commented that the grandma might be too old now to marry.

Actually, I was expecting someone to light up a cigarette by accident or something like that but yes, that would make both stories more interesting, especially the second one.
Mar 9, 2018 3:46 PM
Mar 2017
SouthRzVa said:
That was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in an anime, shit!! I've never thought I'd be so grateful about the animation quality in this show. Definitely, I wouldn't want to see that scene with better hand drawn style.

And related to the second story, the idea was good but in the end nothing really happened. Hanako wasn't even able to prevent her grandma from the town's tradition. And of course, I found the ghosts' desing very lacking but after the first part, I'm not gonna complain about it neither.

modboy said:

Actually, I was expecting someone to light up a cigarette by accident or something like that but yes, that would make both stories more interesting, especially the second one.
I’d recommend looking up the original manga for the bridge since the ghosts look so much better in the manga
Mar 9, 2018 3:57 PM
Jul 2018
In this episode of Ito Junji Collection we learn how much of a effective murder weapon frying pans can be.

OT: The first part was so grotesque i loved it, probably one of the best stories of the series so far (not the best but defenetly up there in the creepy factor). The second one however was just plain boring and uninteresting.
Mar 9, 2018 4:13 PM

Sep 2015
Completely disgusting and PERFECT!

Mar 9, 2018 4:19 PM

Jul 2016
Laurits said:
SouthRzVa said:

I’d recommend looking up the original manga for the bridge since the ghosts look so much better in the manga

Yeah, I heard that and maybe I will, thanks. However, at this point, it's obvious that the studio won't make any justice to the manga... It's dificult to animate that kind of drawing style in my opinion.
Mar 9, 2018 4:59 PM

Jun 2008
Grease is so disgusting! The anime wasn't any less gross to the least. As always, there are some missing tidbits that aren't crucial but they make the story feel more whole - even for a short story.

And the second one.. it's a bit creepy, but at the same time I laughed out loud reading the manga. And I laughed watching the anime. The river part and the floating beds just kills me.
Mar 9, 2018 5:42 PM

Apr 2014
Greased was unappetizing to say the least, second story was good though.
Mar 9, 2018 6:43 PM

Mar 2013
Grese was so disgusting with the pimples, bridge scared me a lot with it's sad and creepy undertones, reminded me a little of the ending of fatal frame 3 :)
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Mar 9, 2018 8:13 PM

Dec 2016
that first story was one of the most disgusting things ive ever seen
Mar 9, 2018 8:16 PM

Mar 2013
Vegetable oil guy needs to invest in some Accutane.
Mar 9, 2018 9:13 PM

Nov 2013
I don't want to look at oil anymore, i'm disgusted..
Mar 9, 2018 9:55 PM

Aug 2014
The people in this forum are really weak, hahahaha.
It kind of made me want to go out and get some McDonalds.
#dicksoutforhughmungus
Mar 9, 2018 10:18 PM
May 2014
it's so disgusting that it's so good.

this is the first story of this show that affect me physically. glad i wasn't eating anything, but my lunch after it wasn't as enjoyable. i felt uncomfortable seeing fat tissue in my beef curry. oh man
Mar 9, 2018 10:25 PM

Jun 2010
Note to self, watching Grease after a long night out is probably not the best idea in the world. It was just as gross as I remember it being when I read it 🤢. It was a solid adaption however.

Bridge on the other hand was just dull tbh. Although I got a chuckle at the exchange that basically amounted to:

Person 1: Hey, why don't we just tie the dead bodies to the boards so they don't fall into the river?
Person 2: ...Shut up.

I'd give this episode a 4/5 overall.
Mar 9, 2018 11:16 PM

Dec 2016
The fucking Grease one was so fucking gross in both manga and anime form
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 10, 2018 12:41 AM
Mar 2017
SouthRzVa said:
Laurits said:

Yeah, I heard that and maybe I will, thanks. However, at this point, it's obvious that the studio won't make any justice to the manga... It's dificult to animate that kind of drawing style in my opinion.
to be honest after posting that i realised that the sentence “looks better in the manga” apllies to everything in this show
Mar 10, 2018 2:39 AM

Mar 2014
THAT WAS GROSS I literally had to pause to lie down and fight the wave of nausea
Mar 10, 2018 3:41 AM

Mar 2012
I was eating biscuits when I started playing this episode, was a really bad idea. The first one was literally unbearable to watch.
Mar 10, 2018 4:31 AM

Sep 2017
Oddly enough as each episode passes I like this show more and I have no idea why. Aside from the first episode being disgusting and the second one being average this ep was alright nothing special.
Mar 10, 2018 8:56 AM

Apr 2010
If someone would do something like in the first story with pimples oil to me I would definitely kill him. 100%
Mar 10, 2018 9:20 AM
Jul 2017
Imagine if the first story was played outside a McDonalds, the sales would plumit worse than the stock of 1929.
If anybody got that without google, you have my respect. Firm handshakes to you educated sir.
Troll12345678966Mar 10, 2018 9:56 AM
Mar 10, 2018 12:26 PM

May 2017
It was fine I guess but ehh I can't help but feel slightly disappointed. First one was just nasty and made me feel ill with all that puss/oil stuff >.< And the second one was meh it was nothing interesting and had the worse animation out of the two, with it being especially noticeable when the woman gets out of the car and also reusing that same animation for after she wakes up from the dream thing which I found pretty lame.

Overall just... meh bland though the first one was good so it's a 3/10 or a 2/10
I dunno it's pretty damn disappointing.
Mar 10, 2018 1:21 PM

Jul 2011
Alecks said:

I was having lunch and finished my whole plate, i have such a feeling of success and accomplishment right now.
Mar 10, 2018 3:27 PM

Jul 2016
some people are actually eating while watching/reading Ito Junji story ? I learned very early that it's a bad idea to eat while reading his stuff, I haven't seen the manga version of the Oil story, but after seeing the anime I know I don't want to

2n Story was just ok, this is an epo that I pretty much rather skip
Raptors0verlordMar 10, 2018 3:31 PM
Mar 10, 2018 5:08 PM

May 2015
The first segment was... Really nasty.

Mar 10, 2018 5:38 PM
Nov 2017
I almost vomited while watching the first story in this episode
I have very bad taste
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is the blu ray version better?

Andru230 - Mar 27

2 by Andru230 »»
Apr 15, 9:42 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2018

162 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 24, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2018

238 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 22, 1:04 AM

» Question for whoever has completed this series.....

Elbezo - Dec 11, 2023

5 by Koukyoukyoku »»
Jan 11, 7:03 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

100 by Ayaraa_ »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.