Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Feb 26, 2018 6:46 AM

Oct 2015
DeepRiver said:

In a way, yeah, he's a plot device, because he did cause a lot of moving pieces for the current story.
However, it was still his character that made that impact in the first place.

He has ambitions, a goal/dream, and a conviction that he puts over his own safety and freedom.
He has real motives, he's not just a bad guy to get in the MC's way, he has his own personal drive.
So he's still his own person. Just because he a catalyst to move the plot doesn't mean he isn't involved in the plot himself.Especially currently that he is been hinted at reapering and getting involved in the story again.

I think we can clearly say that he has the impact, motives, design and powers and level of threat for many people to consider him be the best villain and is not only a plot device...
I can name you many, many villains who were plot devices but having their own motivations. That is fine, however, Stain's case just felt weak. Compare it to last year's Kira Yoshikage and Satou from Ajin, who not only were a foil to the protagonist's plans, he was as a character than a plot device. Saying Stain is the best villain is an insult to characters like Griffith and Funny Valentine. Both have their own motives, hell, Valentine's actions were solely for his own ambition, but he controlled the whole arc, Stain just felt like a narrative piece, ready to be thrown away anytime and that isn't how compelling villain works, unless you are such a tragic villain, an expandable, however, in Stain's case, he should have had more character into him.Every villain have and should have a reason to be a villain, it's the norm. A good example who are weak villains, but as a big power threat and has a reason to be a villain are villains from fillers of Dragonball. Everyone single goddamn one of them can destroy the world (which is why it's ridiculous now) and everyone of them wants to destroy the world for different reasons. The only difference is Stain has an impact on the characters, but it isn't even enough for me to call it anything worth noting. Hisoka made Gon stronger and we can easily see it in him, plus, Hisoka is overall has a defining trait to him, most exciting stuff also surrounded Hisoka, it's not a wonder why people would be wary of him, not to mention Hisoka develops as well. Satou made the main casts move to stop him, initiating what is practically guerilla warfares. Stain? Stain's background is that he was a hero killer and done, he fought and lose and once people know he lost, villains started moving. He was in the goddamn show for 2-3 episodes, with a weak presence, he wasn't nuance, relatable nor majestic. Not one of those good traits that we can get from Griffith, Valentine, Kira and Satou. Stain was a weak center to a web of strings. Which is practically what the mangaka wanted him to be. Someone that made people move, in this case the villains. But he just felt like an expendable. Too expendable. He was supposedly a centerpiece for a some kind of revolution, but like I said, he just felt like a cannon-fodder.

Plus, you are on and out about what is happening in the manga, which not all people who voted nor the ones who watched BnHA S2 knows of.
-Lofn-Feb 26, 2018 7:06 AM

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Feb 26, 2018 8:10 AM

Aug 2015
Where the fuck is AoT2? Nothing... nothing at all?

Imo it should have won at least one or two out of these: best opening, best score, best animation, best drama/action.

Best villain stain? Are you fucking kidding me? My morning diarrhea is a better villain than him.
Best boy? Best girl? What even is that for a category?
Feb 26, 2018 8:24 AM
Jul 2016
-Lofn- said:
DeepRiver said:

In a way, yeah, he's a plot device, because he did cause a lot of moving pieces for the current story.
However, it was still his character that made that impact in the first place.

He has ambitions, a goal/dream, and a conviction that he puts over his own safety and freedom.
He has real motives, he's not just a bad guy to get in the MC's way, he has his own personal drive.
So he's still his own person. Just because he a catalyst to move the plot doesn't mean he isn't involved in the plot himself.Especially currently that he is been hinted at reapering and getting involved in the story again.

I think we can clearly say that he has the impact, motives, design and powers and level of threat for many people to consider him be the best villain and is not only a plot device...
I can name you many, many villains who were plot devices but having their own motivations. That is fine, however, Stain's case just felt weak. Compare it to last year's Kira Yoshikage and Satou from Ajin, who not only were a foil to the protagonist's plans, he was as a character than a plot device. Saying Stain is the best villain is an insult to characters like Griffith and Funny Valentine. Both have their own motives, hell, Valentine's actions were solely for his own ambition, but he controlled the whole arc, Stain just felt like a narrative piece, ready to be thrown away anytime and that isn't how compelling villain works, unless you are such a tragic villain, an expandable, however, in Stain's case, he should have had more character into him.Every villain have and should have a reason to be a villain, it's the norm. A good example who are weak villains, but as a big power threat and has a reason to be a villain are villains from fillers of Dragonball. Everyone single goddamn one of them can destroy the world (which is why it's ridiculous now) and everyone of them wants to destroy the world for different reasons. The only difference is Stain has an impact on the characters, but it isn't even enough for me to call it anything worth noting. Hisoka made Gon stronger and we can easily see it in him, plus, Hisoka is overall has a defining trait to him, most exciting stuff also surrounded Hisoka, it's not a wonder why people would be wary of him, not to mention Hisoka develops as well. Satou made the main casts move to stop him, initiating what is practically guerilla warfares. Stain? Stain's background is that he was a hero killer and done, he fought and lose and once people know he lost, villains started moving. He was in the goddamn show for 2-3 episodes, with a weak presence, he wasn't nuance, relatable nor majestic. Not one of those good traits that we can get from Griffith, Valentine, Kira and Satou. Stain was a weak center to a web of strings. Which is practically what the mangaka wanted him to be. Someone that made people move, in this case the villains. But he just felt like an expendable. Too expendable. He was supposedly a centerpiece for a some kind of revolution, but like I said, he just felt like a cannon-fodder.

Plus, you are on and out about what is happening in the manga, which not all people who voted nor the ones who watched BnHA S2 knows of.

When in the world ive said that Stain is overall the best villain in existence? perhaps i should clear mysefl but i was refering to why people chose him as the best over the other nomines that aired in the 2017. Neither Kira or Satou were in 2017, and Funny isnt even animated yet for god knows how much time, theres no point to bring Griffith neither. If Kira were one of the nominees i would inmediately chose him with closed eyes and i was one of the people who was mad that he losed against the shitty one from Erased last year . However im totally fine with this one, considering the competition and that i find Stain a solid choice overall.

By the way, just saiying that Stain was a throw away villain is just plain wrong when exacly he had the proper impact in the plot and characters and even that still present in the manga to this day. Just as the people you mentioned he is aswell a villain and a plot device, the difference with the people you mentioned is mostly the duration they were on the series and the kind of antagonist they are. Kira, Griffith and Funny are the main antogonist of their own series to begin with,
almost everything that happens in the series wil almostl lead to them, Stain isnt even the main antagonist of BNHA is just more as an arc villain of short duration that had its sustantial apport and impact in the lore of the series. And Saiying that he hasnt motives or relatable or presence is just play out wrong when precisely all his ideals, personality traits and methods were all over the place affecting psychologically one of the main characters turning him in almost a different character and making the MC and true main antagonist of the series (Shigaraki) reflexioning about certain things, if anythig has his own morals and motives to do the things he does, making the characters and wacthers of the show relate to him and being one of the reasons why various characters choose him over the competition., saying he was just a "Hero killer " is simplyfiquing his character a lot when there were obviously more than that.

Feb 26, 2018 8:31 AM

Oct 2015
DeepRiver said:

When in the world ive said that Stain is overall the best villain in existence? perhaps i should clear mysefl but i was refering to why people chose him as the best over the other nomines that aired in the 2017. Neither Kira or Satou were in 2017, and Funny isnt even animated yet for god knows how much time, theres no point to bring Griffith neither. If Kira were one of the nominees i would inmediately chose him with closed eyes and i was one of the people who was mad that he losed against the shitty one from Erased last year . However im totally fine with this one, considering the competition and that i find Stain a solid choice overall.

By the way, just saiying that Stain was a throw away villain is just plain wrong when exacly he had the proper impact in the plot and characters and even that still present in the manga to this day. Just as the people you mentioned he is aswell a villain and a plot device, the difference with the people you mentioned is mostly the duration they were on the series and the kind of antagonist they are. Kira, Griffith and Funny are the main antogonist of their own series to begin with,
almost everything that happens in the series wil almostl lead to them, Stain isnt even the main antagonist of BNHA is just more as an arc villain of short duration that had its sustantial apport and impact in the lore of the series. And Saiying that he hasnt motives or relatable or presence is just play out wrong when precisely all his ideals, personality traits and methods were all over the place affecting psychologically one of the main characters turning him in almost a different character and making the MC and true main antagonist of the series (Shigaraki) reflexioning about certain things, if anythig has his own morals and motives to do the things he does, making the characters and wacthers of the show relate to him and being one of the reasons why various characters choose him over the competition., saying he was just a "Hero killer " is simplyfiquing his character a lot when there were obviously more than that.
Didn't I just say in my other quote from another user that I agree that he won right?

That is what I meant. All I am saying that, Stain won by default because how weak the nominees are. I never said he was a horrible villain, but he is not praise-worthy. But due to the fact the entries for villains this year are so weak, there is no other choice.

Feb 26, 2018 8:42 AM
Jul 2016
-Lofn- said:
DeepRiver said:

Didn't I just say in my other quote from another user that I agree that he won right?

That is what I meant. All I am saying that, Stain won by default because how weak the nominees are. I never said he was a horrible villain, but he is not praise-worthy. But due to the fact the entries for villains this year are so weak, there is no other choice.

Then just as i said, there was no point for you to bring Kira, Griffith and Valentine here to begin with , ju
Feb 26, 2018 8:45 AM

Oct 2015
DeepRiver said:

Then there was no point for you to bring Kira, Griffith and Valentine here to begin with
Well, you bringing him up cause of people considering him the best villain (yes, I get it, I get it). Well, I just blame Crunchyroll for having a shit line-up, but can't blame them either since last year has a weak villain line-up.

Fuck Crunchyroll.

Feb 26, 2018 8:57 AM
Oct 2017
crunchyroll has never done anything wrong and all the haters are just mongoloids
Feb 26, 2018 9:19 AM

Mar 2017
As I expected, MHA went beyond Plus Ultra!
GIF signatures are annoying.
Feb 26, 2018 9:40 AM

May 2015
Stripes said:
Well BNHA didn't win AoTY so can y'all honest shut the fuck up.

I didn't even think it'd win Best OP or Best Girl. << The wrong OP nominated and wrong girl won???

But I can justify everything else it won. You all know it's a popularity content.

We knew that it was, but it doesn't mean we have to be happy about it. MHA didn't deserve all of the awards it got.

Feb 26, 2018 9:42 AM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Stripes said:
Well BNHA didn't win AoTY so can y'all honest shut the fuck up.

I didn't even think it'd win Best OP or Best Girl. << The wrong OP nominated and wrong girl won???

But I can justify everything else it won. You all know it's a popularity content.

We knew that it was, but it doesn't mean we have to be happy about it. MHA didn't deserve all of the awards it got.

I don't think so either. But people act as if something in the vein of Sword Art was sweeping, at least it's something solid and the best show of last year won the biggest award.

Feb 26, 2018 9:44 AM

May 2015
Stripes said:
Kittens-kun said:

I don't think so either. But people act as if something in the vein of Sword Art was sweeping, at least it's something solid and the best show of last year won the biggest award.

Oh don't get me wrong, I like MHA. A lot actually. I would just liked to have seen more variety.

Feb 26, 2018 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
What the hell, My Hero Academia? What the hell?
Feb 26, 2018 9:46 AM

Sep 2017
Boku no Hero has 7 awards? Quite good score :P
Feb 26, 2018 9:51 AM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Stripes said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I like MHA. A lot actually. I would just liked to have seen more variety.

We're in the same boat. I honestly don't think there should be any series to have 2 noms in one category and like I said. I honestly didn't expect it to win Best OP. Thought AoT fans would fight harder for that. And though I don't think it deserved Best Animation next to Silent Voice (granted SV shouldn't even be there???) it was at least a consistent looking show with the best sakuga of last year but I didn't expect it to win that either tbh.

Long story. I agree. It's one of my favorite series of all time and I didn't even vote for it in many categories across the board. So. /shrug
Feb 26, 2018 11:01 AM
Feb 2016
EurekaLuke said:
Of course Made in Abyss and MHA will take most of the awards.

2 are not many awards xD
Only won in AOTY and soundtrack
Feb 26, 2018 11:08 AM

Aug 2012
yhunata said:
-Lofn- said:
Really? I think Stain is an incredibly lackluster villain and Todoroki was fine.

What part of him was lackluster? And I'm not saying Todoroki was bad, just the "Best Boy/Girl" meme needs to stay a meme. Nothing more.

Also, to the people saying Tanya, how exactly is she a villain? She's a soldier fighting in a war, killing people is her job.

A villain is an "evil" character in a story. So Tanya is a villain
Feb 26, 2018 11:13 AM
Feb 2016
EurekaLuke said:
Kittens-kun said:

MiA actually deserved the awards it won though.

Mmm AOTY is debatable, but yes it definitely deserved Best Score

All prizes will always be "debatable". That there is nothing to debate anyway, it is all personal tastes.

The problem is further aggravated in popular polls, where the most famous nominees win and not the "best" ones. The victories of MHA or YOI are a clear example.

There is also the problem of popular surveys is that they win the most famous nominees and not the "best". The victories of MHA or YOI are a clear example. But it's not an easy problem to fix (although I wonder what happened to those supposed judges, I would like to see the statistics).

Personally I am glad that MiA won the AOTY and I am sad that Houseki no Kuni did not win the normal animation award.
Feb 26, 2018 11:28 AM

Jun 2015
Feb 26, 2018 12:21 PM

May 2017
N
AntwanMantilla said:
Like I mentioned in another thread, it's the casuals that made MHA win so much. Don't get me wrong, MHA is a good show in its own rights and respective categories such as 'action' but it didnt deserve to win in everything else beyond that one.

There were way better male and female characters than Ochako and Todoroki, shows with better animation like Land of the Lustrous or MIA, better villains than Stain like Bondrewd, etc etc.

Hopefully MHA season 3 doesnt rig next years CR Anime awards. But sadly, it most likely will given how the community of anime fans are.

Next year will have A LOT of competition, and some mainstream stuff getting a new season too (Fairy Tail, Code Geass and others) but BNHA gets even more hype too so who knows
Hunter x Hunter best anime and Killua Zoldyck best boy <3 Addicted to cute shotas and teens with special powers in fantasy manga and manhua
Feb 26, 2018 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
Boku no Hero Disappointment...

I do like the anime but it's seriously overrated IN MY OPINION. I think a nice change to the system would be to not allow any repeats of awards for things from the same anime unless it's Anime of the Year. This has its flaws I know, but I still can't stand BNHA stealing all the glory.
Feb 26, 2018 1:43 PM

Jan 2018
This was quite disgusting. " Best film Your Name "
best animation boku no hero academia 2 ? wtf ????

At this i only agree with made in abyss as anime of the year, but everything else sucks. This is even worste than last couple years...
Feb 26, 2018 2:11 PM
TMNT Lover

Oct 2017
There are four here which aggravate me a little....I think Land of the Lustrous' opening had more original elements, and the music was overall more soothing than My Hero Academia's. I understand if someone has a preference for the shonen rough-and-tough shots shown, but one can't make the argument that it's very different or piques interest about the show in a unique manner. Houseki no Kuni does achieve this though, so that's why I think they deserved that award.

MHA getting best animation isn't as much of an outrage, but Little Witch Academia deserved at least some recognition. Their animation and interesting curves/frames helped to lend it the usual Trigger-style of being fun, flexible, and fancy. Boku no Hero had amazing moments as well, but not nearly as consistently as LWA.

As for Best Boy and Girl....come now, most of us can agree that Fafnir and Froppy needed to win those.
Feb 26, 2018 2:19 PM

Sep 2016
AoT 2 didn't win any because i think the hype died down and it was only 12 episodes.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Feb 26, 2018 2:42 PM

Jul 2017
changelog_ said:
Boku no Hero Disappointment...

I do like the anime but it's seriously overrated IN MY OPINION. I think a nice change to the system would be to not allow any repeats of awards for things from the same anime unless it's Anime of the Year. This has its flaws I know, but I still can't stand BNHA stealing all the glory.

IDK why crunchyroll didn't do this but to change what happened last year and this year for next year awards (if they do one) is to legit have 1 anime have at most 2 nominees. Like MHA would have nominees for only best hero and best action. Not most of the awards. That would fix everything.
Feb 26, 2018 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
i'm really pleased with the best manga win, at least

also i love todoroki and uraraka as characters so it didn't bother me uwu
Feb 26, 2018 4:29 PM

Nov 2014
JohnDoe995 said:

At this i only agree with made in abyss as anime of the year, but everything else sucks. This is even worste than last couple years...

This is only the 2nd year, they started last year
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2018 4:33 PM
Oct 2017
can you also post a newtype poll every month
Feb 26, 2018 5:04 PM

Jan 2018
Whiskeyjack1k said:
JohnDoe995 said:

Nah, i remember in 2015 i was voting for couple of shows.
Feb 26, 2018 5:30 PM

Nov 2014
JohnDoe995 said:
Whiskeyjack1k said:

I looked it up and all I'm finding is a thread on a forum they did called Spring 2015 awards, nothing about the Crunchyroll awards. Also I'm pretty sure I remember them announcing the contest last year and it was this whole big thing, tons of youtubers made videos about it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2018 5:44 PM

Jan 2018
Whiskeyjack1k said:
JohnDoe995 said:

I looked it up and all I'm finding is a thread on a forum they did called Spring 2015 awards, nothing about the Crunchyroll awards. Also I'm pretty sure I remember them announcing the contest last year and it was this whole big thing, tons of youtubers made videos about it.

Well maybe that's where i was voting, same shit anyways, my bad.
Feb 26, 2018 5:48 PM

Nov 2014
@JohnDoe995

yeah just a misunderstanding, no worries
Feb 26, 2018 6:30 PM
May 2011
I'm overall pleased with the categories I cared about. However I think Konosuba outshines Dragon maid by far. And even though I haven't seen Rakugo, it probably should've won over Magus bride. Even though I like Magus bride alot.

Insanity lives deep within ourselves
Feb 26, 2018 8:35 PM
Feb 2018
Just happy for Girls last tour but a little sad for konosuba still if dragon maid was consider (in the awards) a slice of life it will win against Girls last tour so im happy
Feb 26, 2018 8:47 PM

Jan 2013
dragon maid won best comedy instead of konosuba...wtf is this judging system

but yea made in abyss is the true anime of the year gg
Feb 27, 2018 2:24 AM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
Well if it's any consolation. It can only get better. They improved a lot of shit from last year and I feel like it was more varied. There wasn't 5 of the same shows popping up in every category.

And if you didn't like it this year, last year, well guess what, you probably won't like it next year no matter what.
Feb 27, 2018 4:23 AM
Oct 2016
Rakugo Shinjuu should have won in the anime category of the year.
Feb 27, 2018 7:22 AM
Aug 2011
Like the oscars, I do not understand how something can win more awards but still lose out on best film/anime of the year.

Oh well that's fine, both of them deserved it.

My Hero Academia definitely got the Yuri on Ice Treatment just not the huge hatred backlash for winning so many awards.
Feb 27, 2018 10:34 AM

Oct 2017
Sounds like My Hero Academia awards.
But at least MIA got AOTY and I'm happy with that.
Feb 27, 2018 7:48 PM
Jul 2016
SeidouTZ said:
DeepRiver said:

Saying that Stain is the best pick for best villain of 2017 over the other nominees isn't entirely true either. While i agree that this wasn't the strongest year in terms of vilainistic characters, there were quite a few good number of characters that could had fit that category but werent even considered by Crunchyroll.
Alice to Zouroku presented 3 very distinct villains and fleshed them out rather nicely showcasing their motivations and personal struggles in just a few episodes; Ao no Exorcist season 2 had a villain introduced that set everything that happen in that season in montion. Not only that but he was depicted as an actual unstoppable threath and was the one responsible for planting the seeds of doubt into one of the main characters, something that will be prevalent in the next arcs; Little Witch Academia had a sympathetic villain that acknowledges the fact that magic is dying out and is willing to go above and beyond to restore magic to its former glory, even tho her own hatred and resentment for her childhood friend took the better of her and unable her to think clearly on the consequences of her actions; Hell both Shokugeki no Souma and Gintama (referring to the 2017 ones) last seasons had good villains.

And if you wanna comment on the ones that were in fact nominated then Bondrewd should had been clearly the best choice because in so little screen time was able to create a bigger emotional impact in the story with everything that happened between him and Nanachi. While with Stain, was simply someone with a twisted sense of justice.
Like @-Lofn- rightfully mentioned, Stain was nothing more than a plot device type villain. Even if you make the argument that "he isn't the central piece of the series" that does not excuse the fact that is simply lazy writing. How am i supposed to believe that this guy actions spread a whole legion when he simply comes out as nothing more then cannon fodder with little to no personality or presence? Just because of his ideals that makes him a good enough villain? It would had been nice to have been had some flashback or simply a clarification regarding his true motivations, because right now the only thing appealing surrounding his character is the fact that he looks like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle reject.

To summarise: Stain shouldn't had won, let alone had been nominated.

First, how you can say he is fodder when he has killed 17 pro heroes and crippled a bunch more (in which Idas brother is listed in), overhelming 3 of the strongest students without trying much (it was stated he was holding back the whole time), and his bloodlust making the N.2 hero and All Might teacher to scare the shit out of them and all of that without even a flashy quirk, if anything the guy is a big deal in the Bnha verse. Hell, you can say he was a plot device all what you want, but by that logic almost the 90% of villains should be considered as that, since they are the ones who takes care of a chunk of the plots to move forward. Bondrewd is an even bigger and more descarate plot device than him, considering how random and how small his aparation was, meanwhile atleast with Stain we had chance to know more about him, his drives and nature.

There are multiples ways for a villain to impact the story and some just with being strong is enough, but in Stains case it was precisely his personality linked with his ideals what twisted the story, his presence was all over the place since his first apparition and his effects will be lasting in the long run, hell the last episode of the season is a clear example of what his presence is to the story. What "true motivations you are talking about"?, the show made very clear his backstory and reasoning to what led him to be what he is today. He wanted to be a hero like All Might, who in his eyes is a true hero in its most pure form, he always followed the original ideal of what a hero represents, that who puts his life in the line to save others, the one who never doubts about his duty and favors the self sacrifice, all with the neccesary strenght to do it. Stain is a complete puritan of the heroism. But In a society where 80% of the population have super powers, many people would grow to become heroes, and others villains. However, some people would grow to be heroes only because of the fame, fortune, and rewards that come with a hero. Rather than saving people because it's the right thing to do, they do it for selfish reasons. This even gains more weight when you are aware of all the details and pieces building in the series before and after his events, someone like Bakugo wanting to be a hero just because he wants to be the best, Uraraka for the money, Mineta for being popular with girls, Endeavor doing horrible things in the background just to ascent to being the N1 hero, Mt lady seek for fame, Uwabami potography secctions with Momo and Kendo. etc

He brings the question of what is the true meaning of being a hero, giving more layers to the story and world of Bnha, not to mention how it affects psychologically characters like Ida, Shigaraki and Deku. We know his motivation, his struggles and his drive enought to sympathice with him and understand him even tho he may be an extremist, because of his ideals is the reason why he decides to not kill Deku and later save him, because he sees on him a man in the same vein of All Might, somenone with the values of a true hero, something similar happened with Todoroki later on, thats why he decides to kill Ida because instead of defeating him to save Native, is all about revenge instead, Stain even teaches Ida about how he should act."Forget about yourself for a second and try saving others. Don't wield your power for your own sake. Because getting trapped by your own hate and acting out of pure self-interest... makes you the furthest thing from a hero".All of that gives a lot of depth to his character, and not everthing about him is going to be trown at your face especially since he is hinted to come back in the future. Is a very methodical villain with a lot of details that gain a lot of weight in how they are linked to the core themes of the series, thats why a lot of people likes him, sympathize with him and like to analyze his character and create a lot of discussions and debates surrounding him, so you saiying that the only appeal is just because he looks like a "Teenage ninja turtle reject" is just straight retarded.

Not sure if you're American but a good equivalent to Stain here could be the large number of mass shooters. Something unprecedented happens and the media takes it and runs. Creating dialogue on many fronts that change the landscape of the environment the populace lives in. Stains actions had many implications in the BnHA world that put the heroes competence in question and also raised the number of villainous activity in the world.

He marked a pivotal changing point in MHA. His ideology was used like a martyr, to inspire and move the villains under one banner. It turned the perception of a group of ragtag villains simply angry at society into a organization following a single ideology.

And Stain was the start of it all. I cannot speak for everyone, but I think his popularity is not unfounded.

Feb 28, 2018 3:26 PM
Jun 2017
I thought for sure A Silent Voice would win best animation
Feb 28, 2018 5:55 PM
Jul 2016
SeidouTZ said:
DeepRiver said:

First, how you can say he is fodder when he has killed 17 pro heroes and crippled a bunch more (in which Idas brother is listed in), overhelming 3 of the strongest students without trying much (it was stated he was holding back the whole time), and his bloodlust making the N.2 hero and All Might teacher to scare the shit out of them and all of that without even a flashy quirk, if anything the guy is a big deal in the Bnha verse. Hell, you can say he was a plot device all what you want, but by that logic almost the 90% of villains should be considered as that, since they are the ones who takes care of a chunk of the plots to move forward. Bondrewd is an even bigger and more descarate plot device than him, considering how random and how small his aparation was, meanwhile atleast with Stain we had chance to know more about him, his drives and nature.

There are multiples ways for a villain to impact the story and some just with being strong is enough, but in Stains case it was precisely his personality linked with his ideals what twisted the story, his presence was all over the place since his first apparition and his effects will be lasting in the long run, hell the last episode of the season is a clear example of what his presence is to the story. What "true motivations you are talking about"?, the show made very clear his backstory and reasoning to what led him to be what he is today. He wanted to be a hero like All Might, who in his eyes is a true hero in its most pure form, he always followed the original ideal of what a hero represents, that who puts his life in the line to save others, the one who never doubts about his duty and favors the self sacrifice, all with the neccesary strenght to do it. Stain is a complete puritan of the heroism. But In a society where 80% of the population have super powers, many people would grow to become heroes, and others villains. However, some people would grow to be heroes only because of the fame, fortune, and rewards that come with a hero. Rather than saving people because it's the right thing to do, they do it for selfish reasons. This even gains more weight when you are aware of all the details and pieces building in the series before and after his events, someone like Bakugo wanting to be a hero just because he wants to be the best, Uraraka for the money, Mineta for being popular with girls, Endeavor doing horrible things in the background just to ascent to being the N1 hero, Mt lady seek for fame, Uwabami potography secctions with Momo and Kendo. etc

He brings the question of what is the true meaning of being a hero, giving more layers to the story and world of Bnha, not to mention how it affects psychologically characters like Ida, Shigaraki and Deku. We know his motivation, his struggles and his drive enought to sympathice with him and understand him even tho he may be an extremist, because of his ideals is the reason why he decides to not kill Deku and later save him, because he sees on him a man in the same vein of All Might, somenone with the values of a true hero, something similar happened with Todoroki later on, thats why he decides to kill Ida because instead of defeating him to save Native, is all about revenge instead, Stain even teaches Ida about how he should act."Forget about yourself for a second and try saving others. Don't wield your power for your own sake. Because getting trapped by your own hate and acting out of pure self-interest... makes you the furthest thing from a hero".All of that gives a lot of depth to his character, and not everthing about him is going to be trown at your face especially since he is hinted to come back in the future. Is a very methodical villain with a lot of details that gain a lot of weight in how they are linked to the core themes of the series, thats why a lot of people likes him, sympathize with him and like to analyze his character and create a lot of discussions and debates surrounding him, so you saiying that the only appeal is just because he looks like a "Teenage ninja turtle reject" is just straight retarded.

Not sure if you're American but a good equivalent to Stain here could be the large number of mass shooters. Something unprecedented happens and the media takes it and runs. Creating dialogue on many fronts that change the landscape of the environment the populace lives in. Stains actions had many implications in the BnHA world that put the heroes competence in question and also raised the number of villainous activity in the world.

He marked a pivotal changing point in MHA. His ideology was used like a martyr, to inspire and move the villains under one banner. It turned the perception of a group of ragtag villains simply angry at society into a organization following a single ideology.

And Stain was the start of it all. I cannot speak for everyone, but I think his popularity is not unfounded.

He is cannon fodder because he is presented as nothing more then a one-shot villain that was thrown into the story with the only purpose in mind of driving this idea that more characters with the same ideology would show up. If there was build up to his characters or if he was a very charismatic individual shown to have a big group of followers beforehand everything might had been more believable, but as it stands his whole presence was simply hollow.

A character can be categorized as a villain base on what he/she does in the story, however what makes it stand out as a good one is not something that should be measured by ideals alone. There needs to be more to the character otherwise it just comes off as one dimentional.
People are free to theorise as much as they want, the problem however is that the show doesn't give us anything substantial to comment on it to rationalize his motives. Yes he stated multiple times that he doesnt like heroes that only strive for fame or any other selfish ulterior motives, yet he kills indiscriminately most of the times and seem to be off the ideology that only All Might can be consider a "true hero". Why he thinks this way is not clear. What happened to him that resulted in him having this extremist mindset is not clear.
Instead of exploring his character, what we are left with is a very shallow villain that we can only trully know something about upon reading the spin-offs because the series was incapable of doing something with him.

Also the "Teenage ninja turtle reject" remark was meant to be a joke, just satirizing the fact that the resembles are there. Tho if anything is a cool design i cant denny that so take it as a compliment.

In regard to your statement on Bondrewd i completely disagree. If you watched the series closely, prior to his debut there was a lot of exposition in which was mentioned that he is one of the legendary White Whistles as well as what that entails. Some time afterwards when he makes his apperence we got to know that he is incharge of the experiments on the 5th floor in order to enable their descend to the 6th floor and return without falling victims of the curse.
In the little show of his character we got to know he has no disregard for human life as long as humanity is able to achieve new heights from their sacrifice. His own actions were also the direct cause of everything that happened to Nanachi as well as her whole character and emotional struggles at the end of the season 1. Saying he is a plot device in the same vein that Stain is incorrect.

Being introduced suddenly isnt anything of a problem, and even makes sense considering the perspective the story is being told, which is from kids attending at school to become heroes, all from a very safe and controled enviroment, they arent supposed to be much aware of what happens outside of the school, introducin him crippling Idas brother having a completely change of tone from all that was happening in the UA games was something very fitting, and we were entering a new arc. The reason why Stains ideology was spread was mostly because of the media who showed with detail the reasoning and nature of him, the media is a very powerful thing in Bnha, Ideals spread with the media. Given how media is affecting the world in BnHA like media would in the real world, Stain's ideology will attract a lot of people, which isnt something unrealistic by any means, he didnt needed followers who spread it for him to begin with.

The show indeed explored his character trough his actions in the story and how he interact with the different characters such as heroes like Ida, Deku and Shoto and also villains like Shigaraki and Black Mist, you just are downplaying it for the sake of it, you dont need an obnoxious flashback to hand holding you and tell you every single detail. The way he thinks like that is very clear in the aftermatch, he was basically someone like Deku, who considered a hero to be someone who saves others putting his life on the line without expecting gratification, and due to being so passionate and fanatic about that though, he started to make chats in colleges to promove that feeling, but seeing how nobody cared about him and his opinions and how capitalized the title of a hero had become, meanwhile people think that a hero is "wathever cool because of the title" he became extremely intolerant which impulse him to go really far to kill any person that call himself a hero and dont fills his standards. Is all very clear but you just act as if you didnt even watched it. And all is that for now since his story hasnt even come to full cicle yet.

It looks like we wont get to any kind of agreement so lets just agree to disagree (and thats includes the Bondrewd segment aswell.)
Feb 28, 2018 11:43 PM

Jan 2017
LordXamon said:
EurekaLuke said:
Of course Made in Abyss and MHA will take most of the awards.

2 are not many awards xD
Only won in AOTY and soundtrack

Fair point, but they were obviously the two most likely to get most awards and there wasn't really any doubt about that.

LordXamon said:
EurekaLuke said:

Mmm AOTY is debatable, but yes it definitely deserved Best Score

All prizes will always be "debatable". That there is nothing to debate anyway, it is all personal tastes.

The problem is further aggravated in popular polls, where the most famous nominees win and not the "best" ones. The victories of MHA or YOI are a clear example.

There is also the problem of popular surveys is that they win the most famous nominees and not the "best". The victories of MHA or YOI are a clear example. But it's not an easy problem to fix (although I wonder what happened to those supposed judges, I would like to see the statistics).

Personally I am glad that MiA won the AOTY and I am sad that Houseki no Kuni did not win the normal animation award.

I think you can determine the quality and craftmanship that each anme have, but so far these kind of awards are always going to have popularity play a major factor in how well it fares.
Feb 28, 2018 11:56 PM

Jan 2017
DeepRiver said:
SeidouTZ said:

He is cannon fodder because he is presented as nothing more then a one-shot villain that was thrown into the story with the only purpose in mind of driving this idea that more characters with the same ideology would show up. If there was build up to his characters or if he was a very charismatic individual shown to have a big group of followers beforehand everything might had been more believable, but as it stands his whole presence was simply hollow.

A character can be categorized as a villain base on what he/she does in the story, however what makes it stand out as a good one is not something that should be measured by ideals alone. There needs to be more to the character otherwise it just comes off as one dimentional.
People are free to theorise as much as they want, the problem however is that the show doesn't give us anything substantial to comment on it to rationalize his motives. Yes he stated multiple times that he doesnt like heroes that only strive for fame or any other selfish ulterior motives, yet he kills indiscriminately most of the times and seem to be off the ideology that only All Might can be consider a "true hero". Why he thinks this way is not clear. What happened to him that resulted in him having this extremist mindset is not clear.
Instead of exploring his character, what we are left with is a very shallow villain that we can only trully know something about upon reading the spin-offs because the series was incapable of doing something with him.

Also the "Teenage ninja turtle reject" remark was meant to be a joke, just satirizing the fact that the resembles are there. Tho if anything is a cool design i cant denny that so take it as a compliment.

In regard to your statement on Bondrewd i completely disagree. If you watched the series closely, prior to his debut there was a lot of exposition in which was mentioned that he is one of the legendary White Whistles as well as what that entails. Some time afterwards when he makes his apperence we got to know that he is incharge of the experiments on the 5th floor in order to enable their descend to the 6th floor and return without falling victims of the curse.
In the little show of his character we got to know he has no disregard for human life as long as humanity is able to achieve new heights from their sacrifice. His own actions were also the direct cause of everything that happened to Nanachi as well as her whole character and emotional struggles at the end of the season 1. Saying he is a plot device in the same vein that Stain is incorrect.

Being introduced suddenly isnt anything of a problem, and even makes sense considering the perspective the story is being told, which is from kids attending at school to become heroes, all from a very safe and controled enviroment, they arent supposed to be much aware of what happens outside of the school, introducin him crippling Idas brother having a completely change of tone from all that was happening in the UA games was something very fitting, and we were entering a new arc. The reason why Stains ideology was spread was mostly because of the media who showed with detail the reasoning and nature of him, the media is a very powerful thing in Bnha, Ideals spread with the media. Given how media is affecting the world in BnHA like media would in the real world, Stain's ideology will attract a lot of people, which isnt something unrealistic by any means, he didnt needed followers who spread it for him to begin with.

The show indeed explored his character trough his actions in the story and how he interact with the different characters such as heroes like Ida, Deku and Shoto and also villains like Shigaraki and Black Mist, you just are downplaying it for the sake of it, you dont need an obnoxious flashback to hand holding you and tell you every single detail. The way he thinks like that is very clear in the aftermatch, he was basically someone like Deku, who considered a hero to be someone who saves others putting his life on the line without expecting gratification, and due to being so passionate and fanatic about that though, he started to make chats in colleges to promove that feeling, but seeing how nobody cared about him and his opinions and how capitalized the title of a hero had become, meanwhile people think that a hero is "wathever cool because of the title" he became extremely intolerant which impulse him to go really far to kill any person that call himself a hero and dont fills his standards. Is all very clear but you just act as if you didnt even watched it. And all is that for now since his story hasnt even come to full cicle yet.

It looks like we wont get to any kind of agreement so lets just agree to disagree (and thats includes the Bondrewd segment aswell.)

Honestly, I don't think there should have been the option for best hero as an award, since it's pretty much made specifically for Boku no Hero Academia. Could say the say for Best Villain, but I think there's enough variety across most seasonal anime to warrant an award for the antagonists of shows, but this year the villains were mostly weak. And yes I believe Stain in this season was a throw away villain in the same was the tournament arc was a throw away arc, but I understand why he was a nominee. Also I don't now why there haven't been awards for voice actors/actress' yet, it's insane to me!
Mar 1, 2018 12:23 AM

Mar 2017
EurekaLuke said:
DeepRiver said:

Honestly, I don't think there should have been the option for best hero as an award, since it's pretty much made specifically for Boku no Hero Academia. Could say the say for Best Villain, but I think there's enough variety across most seasonal anime to warrant an award for the antagonists of shows, but this year the villains were mostly weak. And yes I believe Stain in this season was a throw away villain in the same was the tournament arc was a throw away arc, but I understand why he was a nominee. Also I don't now why there haven't been awards for voice actors/actress' yet, it's insane to me!

I believe they should replace Best Hero and Best Villain with Best Protagonists and Best Antagonist respectively. It'd make more sense then.
Mar 1, 2018 2:22 AM
Jan 2018
thriach said:
At least the Japanese anime watchers still have superior taste

They have a diverse taste. no wonder why the anime industry only focus on japanese consumers for anime adaptations
Mar 1, 2018 10:50 AM
Jan 2016
ampd said:
mika-chi said:

That's true, but in my opninion these results for BnHA are more deserved than last year's results with Yuri on Ice. For example voting YoI as best animation was complete bs, there were definitely more anime/studios with better animation than YoI. For this year, Bones *is* a pretty good studio, and even though I think one of the KyoAni anime would have deserved the title the most, I still think it's reasonable and not just what the fans like the best. All I can say is that comparing BnHA to YoI is pretty rude. YoI was/is popular because it "contained gay relationships" and BnHA mostly because of a good story AND characters, guess why both best girl and boy are from this anime..
lmao anyways, this is not just directly to you but also everyone who compares these two anime.
that's it.

no offense taken lol I agree with most of what you said a good amount of the categories bnha won are justified like todoroki, stain, best hero, etc and I love bnha but I had to poke fun at it especially after the one part of the award ceremony where bnha theme and video started playing when it wasn't even nominated for that category xD I was more serious about koe no katachi and konasuba getting snubbed

yep same here..and i appreciate your understanding lol xD
it's a shame tho that KyoAni didn't get any real recognition this year either. I mean at least it's anime got more nominations but it still only won this stuff like "comedy" which hasn't anything to do with the studio itself. So I genueally hope that violet evergarden will get into the awards and win at least best animation, ffs xDD
Mar 1, 2018 3:30 PM

Jul 2013
I feel like I am one of the few people who thought The Ancient Magus Bride deserved the best drama award. While it might not be as heavy as the others it is still a fantasy drama series.
Mar 1, 2018 3:38 PM

Oct 2017
-Lofn- said:
So it's true Boku no Hero is like Yuri on Ice.

I was watching, but meh

Yep , 7 awards, even worse than Yuri on Ice last year lolz...

My Yuri Academia confirmed.

Kinda as expected since the front page of the voting is loaded with all the MHA footages, so ofc they're gonna promote it to hell.
Mar 1, 2018 4:55 PM
Nov 2016
All of us knew this was gonna happen. I mean, MHA is a pretty good show which also happens to be popular. That being said, I don't think any of the categories is won, it didn't deserve.... Well, maybe it didn't deserve the best OP(OP 1 from Mahoutsukai No yome should've won)......

And a huge congratulations to Made In Abyss.... It deserved that awards.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing?

APolygons2 - 39 minutes ago

12 by mshfqtny »»
20 seconds ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

15 by -YaoiBoy- »»
3 minutes ago

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 5 hours ago

25 by Toooooooooohru »»
4 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 11 hours ago

24 by ArpitPatel »»
7 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

64 by downymaiden »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.