Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2018 3:12 PM

Oct 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------

"Manga only." Man, if this gets even a single 3-minute short, that would be lovely.

Alright: first time I've ever pre-ordered a manga, first time I've bought a manga without any exposure to the franchise, first time reading a physical manga that isn't bound in a massive, difficult to handle tome (Nausicaa). Because cute spider.

Did I actually just pick this thing up and read 1/3 of it within ten minutes?

Well, I was giggling regularly, this is just as delightful as it looked like it would be. The mutant spider at first looks like it has too many eyes, but it's the right number, eight, only they're all the same size and in a row. Weird, but it works I guess. Real spiders have tiny mouths (and no tongue); the closest equivalent to this in real life is camel spiders' chelicerae: https://bugguide.net/node/view/1166887/bgimage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae

The most interesting part is the tentacle, which may have been inspired by the ohmu tentacles in Nausicaa. Certainly useful in the role of a hand/hands. (There are two tentacles in the opening pages' watercolor.) It's hard to tell whether the pedipalps are missing, or one pair of legs is; the front legs are where palps should be, but the tentacle(s) seem to fill the palps' role as sensory appendages. I suppose the best guess would be that the tentacles are pedipalps.

The spider is an amazingly picky eater. Plant-eating spiders in real life:

The art is much more clearly defined than I thought it might be, based only on the cover watercolor. I'm glad.

You know you lucked out with your post-apocalyptic setting when you have so much food to spare that you can give a plate to a deceased relative.

Like one Amazon reviewer, I'm not so keen on the cooking/recipe part, but food manga/anime is a huge trend, so I can't blame the mangaka for putting it in.

Me with a snow giant spider: https://andromedaroach.deviantart.com/art/Snow-Jumping-Spider-428853863

I wish all girls were this open to spiders ;)
nDroaeMar 23, 2018 7:37 PM
May 8, 2021 11:20 PM

Dec 2020
I definitely also read this as a spider lover who saw a cute spider and was like, welp where is it. I need it now.

I think it would have benefitted from more story driven aspects than cooking, but that doesn't mean all cooking manga is bad.

I am particularly hooked on Dungeon Meshi, and while I saw it as mostly just a slow boring cooking manga at first, they really did a good job tying food into the plot, and creating a very deep impactful story line with it.

I was hoping that was what I'd find here also, but ! I was so dissapointed to read the good bye the end in the 3rd volume. I felt the the characterization was just getting somewhere!

It did seem like an apocalypse with very few problems and plenty of abundance, which was interesting. I wanted more world building. It felt like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou in that way. A quiet peaceful apocalypse, that is mostly just country life masquerading as apocalypse.

As for the spider anatomy, it was so not a true spider from the very beginning that I didn't really care. The fact that she tries to research real spiders and comes up empty, and decides this is a new creature all together, helped with that suspension of disbelief for me. Most artists trying to personify spiders have to mess it up anyway. I've seen much worse.

That being said I didn't like the tentacle aspect. I understand it as a stand in for more dexterous hands, and yet I think the manga would have benefitted from struggling to make the limited dexterity of a spider work in its favor. I would have liked to see Asa crawling on more things like counters to sniff at food, and losing that more human aspect of fine motor skill. The human aspect already shines through in the communication!

Anyway, final thoughts. It's cute, short, and sweet. I am always happy to see more positive spider representation in the world, so this has my full support! You can read it in an hour if you want so why not?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owari Nochi, Asanagi-kurashi. Chapter 14 Discussion

Floral_soap - Aug 3, 2022

2 by CQLLIST »»
Jul 11, 2023 7:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.