Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 20, 2018 12:31 PM

Jun 2017
Sorry, but you just don't understand the show. There is nothing that can surpass DN, it has everything. Its the only one anime that is actually worth something

Feb 20, 2018 12:36 PM

Aug 2017
If this is simply popular because non anime watchers see this, why do they have accounts on this site???
Feb 21, 2018 1:55 AM

May 2015
It offered an alternative in an era when everyone talked about Naruto and Bleach all the time. Don't know if you lived back then, but these anime were so dominant it was scary and suffocating. Death Note kind of broke that. I can't believe it's been so long.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 21, 2018 2:27 AM

Oct 2016
Death note wasn't my type of anime yet my friends recommended me to still watch it and hah I enjoyed it surprisingly, probably due to the fact of how elegantly the main characters executed their actions keeping alot of considerations beforehand so that they don't fail. The curiosity, suspense and thriller is what i liked the most about the anime but anyways it all comes down to personal preference not everyone will like the show just because its popular or of it has a better rated ¯\_(ツ)_/¯......juuuust personal preference.
Lord_CrypTicFeb 21, 2018 2:30 AM

Feb 21, 2018 3:42 AM

Jul 2008

Looking at your list, I don't think Death Note is really your kind of thing.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Feb 21, 2018 4:05 AM

Oct 2012
The things with the most mass appeal are never the things with the highest quality so don't expect that from life ever
Feb 21, 2018 6:01 AM

Oct 2015
It's pretty easy to recommend to people (especially those who usually don't consume Japanese media) because it doesn't rely on anime tropes too much and it has a pretty interesting premise. It's also pretty enjoyable in my opinion. Watching two great intellects fighting to drive the other into a corner had been a lot fun.
Feb 21, 2018 6:08 AM

Jun 2011
tenltd said:
It has massive mainstream appeal and it's easy to recommend to people. Also, it's a good show all the way through. At the very least, it's better than almost every other anime that non-anime fans know.

I don't really agree. My mother in law loves certain anime we have introduced her to despite not being an anime fan. I think the best thing not-anime-fans typically like is Ghibli movies. The best thing my mother in law ADORES is Wolf Children. To the point she asked me about more sad anime movies she could watch. And now she is going to watch Grave of the Fireflies. :P

And she has seen death note and even went to the theater to watch the japanese live action. XD Her fave anime live action movie is Ghost in the Shell though. And it is because she loves Scarlett. XD

Spirited Away is the most commonly cited anime movie by casuals as best anime movie. And they aren't wrong. the movie is very much quality.

simonephone said:
The things with the most mass appeal are never the things with the highest quality so don't expect that from life ever

Is Spirited Away a bad movie? Cause that is the most popular anime movie. That or Ponyo. Highest grossing anime movie, not one people actually call their favorite is Pokemon the First Movie. And I wouldn't even call that movie bad. XD It is however not a movie I rec watching without the show.

zal said:
Popularity doesn't equal quality, opportunity and accessibility are better indicators of popularity. If you look at the most popular shows most if not all of them had western TV (USA specifically)releases.
As many said Death Note is easily approachable and quickly engaging anime that even people who don't like anime would watch.

I have some doubts about its quality but I still rated it pretty high because of the sheer enjoyment and hype it achieves.

Faded_Memories said:
AOT, SAO, Angel Beats, TG and OPM are bad and To Love Ru and Infinite Stratos are good? That's some quality thinking. I don't really comment but i just had to. Rofl.
Quality is subjective no? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, I too have noticed this. The more streaming services it has been on, if it has a dub that is at least halfway decent, if it was aired on TV, if it is available in normal stores and they see it on the shelf, if the DVD is cheap.

You can buy all of Death Note very very cheaply. Less than a dollar an episode.

Having an English dub is probably one of the biggest factors for popularity.I know many people who will not watch stuff unless it is dubbed over.

A huge factor in older anime popularity was if it said "brief nudity" or "partial nudity" or just flat out "nudity" as a content warning on the back. Which is how Ranma, Project A-ko, and Ghost in the Shell got popular in the community. Looking additionally for highly violent stuff with the nudity, meant more edge titles like Violence Jack, Urotsukidouji, and Ninja Scroll popularity. Being available to rent was a main factor in anyone knowing about those "weirder" titles. :P And if they got showed off at the local scifi convention resulting in many older popular anime, being scifi.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedMar 1, 2018 7:14 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Feb 21, 2018 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
Cambeezee said:
I never understood the reason, why Death note is so far always on top 1 when there is so many animes better to watch than Death note, like i mean i guess it's the people who watch anime but are'nt otaku, like the ones that only watch Naruto, Bleach, OP, SNK #Facepalm #menohatedeathnote

It's definitely not one of my favorites but Death Note is a great and unique show. The only thing that can compare to it is Code Geass, and that was ranked higher than Death Note. If you don't like it then I hate to say that you're a tiny minority.
Feb 21, 2018 3:15 PM
Sep 2007
Death Note was extremely popular when it aired, and believe me, I really am not one to follow what masses like, but it really is one of best post 2005 anime trillers I ever saw.

Popularity aside, I honestly think it's one of those titles for all times.
Feb 21, 2018 4:28 PM

Nov 2011
Because it’s extremely enjoyable- and a large amount of people rate high based on that. Plus it’s just well known and more people end up rating/watching it.

Feb 21, 2018 7:58 PM

May 2016
Death Note is good anime. I love Death Note

Watch Death Note.
Feb 22, 2018 4:04 AM

Oct 2012
Energetic-Nova said:
simonephone said:

Is Spirited Away a bad movie? Cause that is the most popular anime movie. That or Ponyo. Highest grossing anime movie, not one people actually call their favorite is Pokemon the First Movie. And I wouldn't even call that movie bad. XD It is however not a movie I rec watching without the show.

Well, most of the highest grossing movies are not Spirited Away. I get what you're saying though and you're right but that movie is more of an exception than the rule. I'm also personally a big fan of Death Note so I'm not ragging on it or anything.
Feb 22, 2018 4:17 AM
Jul 2018
its popular because its a good anime to start with and it has a some what descent plot and thiers not many like it

personally i didnt like it much i felt it started to fall apart near the end and i just got bored and lost interest
Feb 22, 2018 6:01 AM

Dec 2015
It had a solid premise that can catch many demographics, and catch them it did when it was first out. Now it has reached status as a gateway anime for newcomers to enjoy. I liked it, but I know it's not particularly great.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Feb 22, 2018 6:06 AM

Aug 2017
Mkim said:
you didn't had me until the gif but the gif was a great argument

yeah i agree, i've never seen death note but i will absolutely not watch this trash ever in my life now thanks to OP.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2018 6:10 AM
Aug 2016
FMA:B is trash and yet its on the top Lmao
people just have shit taste and there is nothing you can do about it
Mar 1, 2018 7:23 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

It's easily accessible and striaghtforward to watch with enough international appeal to allow anyone with a political opinion to get at least some thought out of the show, if at least find entertainment in its visuals and characters. A number of my favorites are relatively unknown, and that's great because they'd be terrible first entries into anime. Does this reduce exposure to more diverse shows that could be arguably better? Sure, but that's up to the viewer to decide if they want to dive deeper into the black hole that is anime.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

29 by YahiyaX777L »»
Yesterday, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

394 by pakinho »»
May 6, 7:16 AM

» Imagine a world without Death Note

ZeroMajor12 - May 6

0 by ZeroMajor12 »»
May 6, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

128 by puffle9000 »»
May 3, 1:05 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 21, 2007

121 by misterskinny »»
Apr 27, 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.