Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 30, 2018 1:48 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, Golden Dawn really ran into a tough enemy this episode. Even for them, it's a tough fight.

Glad to see Yuno demonstrating his talent again but honestly, Asta deserved some credit too this episode for making his comeback. He might be a bit annoying but Asta does have some sikills and clearly improved since he joined his squad.
Jan 30, 2018 4:29 AM

Dec 2017
It was great ep I hope anime to continue in this way
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2018 4:41 AM
Jul 2017
Another great episode and fight scene but the one thing that really annoys me is the constant recap in the middle
Jan 30, 2018 4:57 AM

Nov 2016
Ok,gotta correct myself,this is the best episode yet.

The action was nice for this shows standards and I liked it that someone showed Yuno where his limit's are.

Luck kicked ass and Astas resolve was the highlight of this episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 30, 2018 5:23 AM

Apr 2016
A masterpiece episode and Asta rocks ops , i mean Black Bulls rocks
BRAWLERS
Jan 30, 2018 5:24 AM

Dec 2016
Prob the most enjoyable episode in this series to date.

As always, too much recap in the beginning and an annoying scene repeat after the commercial break, but that aside, the rest was fast paced and engaging.

Next episode looks like it’s going to be a somewhat silly cool down...
Jan 30, 2018 5:43 AM

May 2017
Asta was totally badass this ep ,also decent animation quality now onto the next arc soon hopefully
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2018 5:49 AM
Aug 2017
Best episode so far, wish they'd stop with the recaps and intro by now though.
Jan 30, 2018 6:18 AM

Oct 2011
Another underwhelming episode - do they play to even make the epic fights unclimactic?

Jan 30, 2018 6:35 AM

Aug 2013
Seriously though how could a Mage win against an Anti-Mage? Lol

With more experience and training no one will beat Asta.
Jan 30, 2018 6:55 AM

Dec 2014
That was pretty good, nice action.

Jan 30, 2018 6:57 AM

Feb 2013
Asta was amazing!
I just hope that Mars didn't have to kill his own sister during his "exam".
Jan 30, 2018 7:04 AM
Aug 2015
Ugh, I hate the recap in the beginning. It's even worse than One Piece's recap.. As expected, the animation looks much better than previous episode.
Jan 30, 2018 7:15 AM

Jan 2014
the outcome would be different if the enemy switched.
this is the only episode I liked so far.
I hope to see badass Asta more often rather than the annoying one.

and the funny thing is, Yuno couldn't cut the diamond before, then suddenly he can cut so easily after Asta came.
Jan 30, 2018 7:18 AM
Sep 2012
Luck is something else, he knows this guy is a father of three girls and still wants to kill him. I mean if Asta was in Luck's shoes, he would probably handle things differently. He is willing to hurt the innocent for his own blood lust. Not saying it is wrong, but if in a few years you have a girl wants to kill him for revenge, deal with the consequences.
Jan 30, 2018 7:21 AM

Jan 2017
okay. the realisation just dawned on me; this... this; is an anime about a world where magic is common place. common like water... whilst some have a nice flavour (e.g. a juice etc.) some just have water.

Asta didn't have water, he ended receiving some coffee and some epic coffee it is. he gets all sorts of benefits from that coffee... but without there's dehydration

so, i don't know which route this anime is taking, but it feels as though its set up for failure; 'cause he's a character which has the power to decimate the very nature of this world (which is magic and mana etc. etc.)

so in my case this begged the question, is there some sort of limit to how much he can use this power, can he only use it 'til he becomes tired, or will it be taken from him.. i say this since, for the foreseeable future, throw Asta into the mix and the job's done. this is because he is a crazy person with a 'never give up' complex (surprisingly, i like that sort of character, no qualms about that)

what i'm trying to get at is that it becomes a game of cat and mouse since throwing in a 'stronger than the last' enemy will only result in Asta doing bits with this negating power.

P.S.
don't get me wrong, i thoroughly enjoy watching this but the way it's set up means that it's an easy path to success with the only exception being a scenario where they (whoever makes that decision ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) decide that he isn't worthy enough to receive the title of next wizard king
Jan 30, 2018 7:40 AM
Jul 2014
RCRDC said:
Best episode so far, wish they'd stop with the recaps and intro by now though.
That's almost every shounen okay. That's never going to stop.
Jan 30, 2018 7:46 AM

Jun 2014
And this is where Black Clover shines: its action. It's lacking in many other areas but it definitely kills it, in my opinion, when it comes to action and fighting scenes. As a result, you get this, arguably the most enjoyable episode so far. The only complaints I have about this episode are the recap at the beginning and the footage in the middle that was re-shown, but other than that, this episode was pretty good (for Black Clover's standards at least).
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 30, 2018 7:47 AM

Dec 2016
Hate extra mini recaps that wasting time every week, are they really that desperate to make this as long as the big three huh, so they can milk out of this till dry?
Jan 30, 2018 7:55 AM
Jun 2016
you gotta give it to Asta he's showing up and pretty good so far
i hope there is something in that chamber that helps him to use magic cz the show would be tasteless if he is never able to use magic
Jan 30, 2018 7:57 AM

Apr 2014
HiddenArmy said:
Hate extra mini recaps that wasting time every week, are they really that desperate to make this as long as the big three huh, so they can milk out of this till dry?

Not really. The series is seriously understaffed and behind the schedule. Recaps are just a method to make sure the production doesn't collapse completely.
Jan 30, 2018 8:22 AM
Nov 2016
Now this is what the anime should be like. The art isn't anything special and the animation(especially the CG) was okay-ish but the fight sequence was pretty well choreographed, I think they changed some stuff(the moves used in the fight and so forth) from the manga but I can't really be sure since I read the chapter pretty long ago.

The anime SHOULD be fast paced and it'd be easy to rate it as a 7 because it does have some flashy battles but these fillers are making me mad. We should've reached this point by like, Episode 10 or something.
Jan 30, 2018 9:09 AM

Jun 2015
Best episode so far. The fight against Mars was dope, except for the weird CG. The smoke guy is pretty funny and smart.
Jan 30, 2018 9:46 AM

Sep 2013
Better than I expected but you can see the obvious signs of shortcuts being taken like the mist every time an attack hits so they don't have to animate it.
Naruto vs Pain 2.0 but less quality.
Jan 30, 2018 9:55 AM
Mar 2016
Either the studio doesn't want any blood and gore around her or Asta's sword is the most bluntest kind that ever exist cu'z two two bad guys would have already been cut into pieces.
Jan 30, 2018 9:59 AM
Sep 2017
Bad drawing, and a very bad fight scene. Horrible!.
Jan 30, 2018 10:06 AM
Aug 2015
Whoahoho said:
Either the studio doesn't want any blood and gore around her or Asta's sword is the most bluntest kind that ever exist cu'z two two bad guys would have already been cut into pieces.
or it is an anti-magic sword that can only used to cut magic..
Jan 30, 2018 10:13 AM

Sep 2016
omfg DANGGGG

that ost tho

Jan 30, 2018 11:13 AM

Feb 2010
tambi33 said:
so, i don't know which route this anime is taking, but it feels as though its set up for failure; 'cause he's a character which has the power to decimate the very nature of this world (which is magic and mana etc. etc.)

so in my case this begged the question, is there some sort of limit to how much he can use this power, can he only use it 'til he becomes tired, or will it be taken from him.. i say this since, for the foreseeable future, throw Asta into the mix and the job's done. this is because he is a crazy person with a 'never give up' complex (surprisingly, i like that sort of character, no qualms about that)

If your question is "is the main character OP?" then the answer is no. The wizard king has OP power, an upcoming villain as well. You see in the recap that SmokeGuy got beaten because of teamwork, Asta on his own with his sword wouldn't do much. I don't see him becoming wizard king with no magic and if he gets magic, then no sword. Which is why I am interested in how is he supposed to compete with all the others. Anyway, physical exhaustion is a fairly good limit in my opinion, equivalent to mana exhaustion.

Whoahoho said:

The FUHA guy previously would have been sliced open as well if it were a sharp sword. Blunt like the Soul Calibur's steel paddle.
Jan 30, 2018 11:32 AM
Jun 2014
tambi33 said:
okay. the realisation just dawned on me; this... this; is an anime about a world where magic is common place. common like water... whilst some have a nice flavour (e.g. a juice etc.) some just have water.

Asta didn't have water, he ended receiving some coffee and some epic coffee it is. he gets all sorts of benefits from that coffee... but without there's dehydration

what i'm trying to get at is that it becomes a game of cat and mouse since throwing in a 'stronger than the last' enemy will only result in Asta doing bits with this negating power.

P.S.
don't get me wrong, i thoroughly enjoy watching this but the way it's set up means that it's an easy path to success with the only exception being a scenario where they (whoever makes that decision ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) decide that he isn't worthy enough to receive the title of next wizard king

Dude Asta's sword negates the magic, but its not like his entire body does.. He can easily get caught and killed by magic if its timed right. He has several weaknesses. He cant fly or anything either. So he has to block and land hits with his weapon.
Jan 30, 2018 11:39 AM

Mar 2016
It really annoy's me that the only tactic that Asta know with that sword is just spinning it to all sides... Get inventive kid!
Some mistakes in the animation and I suppose that the villain is supposed to be Zabusa or someone close to it... I don't know. I just know that the guy as a very similar backstory.

But in the end, this was the end for me with this series. It's really annoying how this story has little to none creativity/originality and studio Clown goes with just 1-2 chapters (or less) per episodes when they could go fullpower with this series in term of adaptation, killing it before even shinning.

(I liked the OPs though)
azertz99Jan 30, 2018 11:42 AM
Jan 30, 2018 1:03 PM

Feb 2015
As expected from Studio Pierrot, this has been a rollercoaster. Some good parts, some bad parts, but this episode was definitely a strong point in the series.

5/5

P.S. - DAMN ASTA'S RIPPED.
Jan 30, 2018 1:05 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was sooo hype. I'm glad Asta is finally getting some respect, and people are putting asshole Klaus in his place. It made everything else up to this point worth it, and if the series continues to deliver us quality fights like this one, I'm all in.

The only problem I see here is that Asta's power literally negates everybody else's powers. It kind of gives me One Punch Man vibes, where the main character operates outside of the rules of everybody else. Even the strongest warrior (Yuno) can hold a candle to the enemy (Mars), yet Asta comes along and literally does the impossible. Unlike OPM, however, there's gotta be a limit to his power somewhere, and this fight wasn't designed to show it. Rather, it was designed to showcase just how much potential he does have. We'll likely see that limit later on.

Oh also, the recaps are still annoying. It took 3 minutes for us to hear the OP, and then there's the recap in the middle. That's like...6 minutes? What a waste of time.
Jan 30, 2018 1:25 PM
Jan 2018
My favourite part is when Klaus is admiring Asta's abs. Fuck Noelle x Asta. We need Klaus x Asta
Jan 30, 2018 2:27 PM

Jan 2008
This would have been a pretty dang good fight if not for all the atrocious CGI and hilariously poorly drawn faces. The OP version of Asta cutting the sword to save Yuno was so much better.

Also Luck's part in the opening changed a little. Just thought I'd say that for anyone who cared.
PaulJan 30, 2018 2:32 PM
Jan 30, 2018 2:53 PM

Jan 2017
Minami-Nan said:
tambi33 said:

If your question is "is the main character OP?" then the answer is no. The wizard king has OP power, an upcoming villain as well. You see in the recap that SmokeGuy got beaten because of teamwork, Asta on his own with his sword wouldn't do much. I don't see him becoming wizard king with no magic and if he gets magic, then no sword. Which is why I am interested in how is he supposed to compete with all the others. Anyway, physical exhaustion is a fairly good limit in my opinion, equivalent to mana exhaustion.

Whoahoho said:

The FUHA guy previously would have been sliced open as well if it were a sharp sword. Blunt like the Soul Calibur's steel paddle.
Kewinn24 said:
tambi33 said:

P.S.

Dude Asta's sword negates the magic, but its not like his entire body does.. He can easily get caught and killed by magic if its timed right. He has several weaknesses. He cant fly or anything either. So he has to block and land hits with his weapon.

Waheeey, I got two responses; both fairly well-opinioned... Although I prefer @minami-nan (s) answer. The only thing that irritated me is the fact that his blunt, magic-negating swords working too many wonders... And in terms of OP this guy is of human standards (as he has no mana) but he is apparently so well trained that he wasn't crushed by the minerals/diamonds.

@kewinn24 I pretty much said it in response to minami-nan, but that defined body is going above and beyond a normal humane capability

P.S.
In no way do I mean to argue, so I do appreciate minami-nan's answer, but kewinn24 was a little half-ar**d and ignorant of Asta's attributes

P.S. again
This was fun to talk about
I may offend kewinn24 with my initial P.S. so I'm sorry 😅
Jan 30, 2018 2:53 PM

Jan 2016
I'm gonna be honest, this was a blast to watch. A few lazy bits but for the most part, the fight was really well done. The camera angles and so on, I actually liked the big 3D sword. That's a smart way to incorporate 3D without taking away the good old 2d animation. The clones were a bit clunkier but it's a learning process.
Jan 30, 2018 3:00 PM

Oct 2008
okay...Asta was a bit badass there...nothing else...
3/5.

Jan 30, 2018 3:05 PM

Jan 2017
Paul said:
This would have been a pretty dang good fight if not for all the atrocious CGI and hilariously poorly drawn faces. The OP version of Asta cutting the sword to save Yuno was so much better.

Also Luck's part in the opening changed a little. Just thought I'd say that for anyone who cared.

As a person who skips the theme songs after listening to it once... I am actually very grateful to have been shown this even though it makes no difference to me; however, this change ties in with how they had previously just shown luck:s history

Maybe it foreshadows a change occuring within luck... Damn, thinking about it in this way 😭 makes me feel as though he'll be a changed person, but that may mean the sociopath -borderline psychopath- may be going. If that's the case then it really effects me since I'll lose one of my favourite character types. Nooooooo😱
Jan 30, 2018 3:15 PM

Jan 2015
Even in the best moments, this show still fails. This needs a season break, because you can clearly see that the best guys at pierrot are more focused on boruto and this just feels a like a side project.
Jan 30, 2018 4:03 PM
Jun 2014
tambi33 said:

@kewinn24 I pretty much said it in response to minami-nan, but that defined body is going above and beyond a normal humane capability

P.S.
In no way do I mean to argue, so I do appreciate minami-nan's answer, but kewinn24 was a little half-ar**d and ignorant of Asta's attributes

P.S. again
This was fun to talk about
I may offend kewinn24 with my initial P.S. so I'm sorry 😅

I'm not offended. And it's not. It's pretty much common sense. He's just not OP in this world. Why? Because it's not like he has a magical(or casting type) ability that negates the magic. In this case, he could cancel out everything. But in the actual case, he only relies on physical capabilities to use his negation ability. Meaning he is at a disadvantage when it comes to defending ranged attacks and such (an OP character would be able to put up a full radius barrier around them to stop magic from hitting their body). And so on.. but I have to go to class. Running late. It's kind of common sense. But it's not that serious to me. I enjoy the anime.

Jan 2011
Great episode and it allowed Asta to really show this week. More of this please.

Ending song was pretty badass.
"I hate to lose more than I like to win, the only reason I like to win is so I do not have to lose." - Manti Teo

Feb 2010
tambi33 said:
The only thing that irritated me is the fact that his blunt, magic-negating swords working too many wonders... And in terms of OP this guy is of human standards (as he has no mana) but he is apparently so well trained that he wasn't crushed by the minerals/diamonds.

Just adding some substance to my earlier answer: Asta trains hard cause he's got nothing else, fairly sensible in my opinion. He is the guy that can confidently ask "bro, do you even lift?". He's strong, with daily workout surpassing One-punch Man's, but his sword is useless against many types of magic as with SmokeGuy. Magic is still the prime wonder, negating magic is just peculiar but nothing much in comparison.
Obviously, there is more to him than just a blunt sword
and I believe that on his road to becoming a wizard king, he should get a full weapon arsenal for versatility.
Jan 30, 2018 4:16 PM
Sep 2017
Maybe because I've read the manga through twice, so I got more to expect from the anime. I really hoped that the anime could deliver what it's supposed to offer: 'animation'. Yet if there is more improvement into the quality of animation, it can be such a good fighting shounen series. All I've seen so far was misopportunities of turning something good into great.
Jan 30, 2018 5:13 PM

May 2015
Ok, so yeah, it's obvious that the main character will defeat the powerful villain at some point, but didn't it went too fast? I mean, Asta literally met this guy just before commercial break and in less than 10 minutes he already defeated him. I'm getting tired of watching this supposed underdog winning every fight so easily. We know his flaw is that he's a magicless, but the series, by now, has never shown us this weakness while he's fightning. Yes, he's physically strong and stubborn, and that's a good message, he's overcoming adversity, but c'mon, what's the point with the whole magic stuff if all you have to do is being dumb and ripped? As far as I know Black Clover wasn't supposed to be an overpowered on purpose character series like One-Punch Man. At least he could have been defeated and winning the next time or even the next episode, but this was an absolute letdown...
ren_moonJan 30, 2018 5:31 PM
Jan 30, 2018 5:23 PM

Sep 2016
Even Sousei no Onmyouji had a better production than this, and its basically the same staff thats on Black Clover right now. Yoshihara is good director and animator but his team is understaffed.

I hope he's stays healthy, i hope for a season 2 of Monster Musume
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Jan 30, 2018 5:43 PM

Sep 2017
I was gonna rip on the show once again for all the recaps and the mostly mediocre animation, but I saw on reddit that the director (?someone) was posting on twitter that they were severely understaffed and that he was stressing out a lot etc etc. I think he even posted that they were looking for more animators.

Besides that, the episode was actually pretty damn hype. Asta really shined this fight. Even tho its cliche that he'd come save the day, it's the kind of thing that can really hype me up in a battle shounen. It's a shame they are having production problems because it would be a lot more hype if it looked really nice.
Jan 30, 2018 6:46 PM
Dec 2017
This is. By Far. The Best. Episode. Yet!! I'm excited because the bar was set so low, I honestly only made it this far out of my love for Shonen and sheer boredom. But this episode had some fricken AMAZING lines "I may be a pebble, but I'm a pebble that crushes diamonds"!! Uhh ok hello?!! That is so beautiful! And I laughed in the middle after Asta came in and saved Yuno's hide, and he called him a liar and pointed at him! Hilarious! I hope this holds.
Jan 30, 2018 7:07 PM
Jun 2016
Mars is Gaara raised in the Bloody Mist.

Jan 30, 2018 8:03 PM

Jan 2013
This arc has been absolutely epic compared to the first episode, and i'm so happy about that! Asta is a completely different person, and he is not screaming xD So that's always good.
The more you think about it the more op his power gets xD But i'm glad that he managed to save his brother and save everyone else. He was a complete badass in this episode.
After all of this i still don't get why this anime has such a low score.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2020

75 by DrCarlosRamos »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 144 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2020

35 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 143 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2020

49 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 3:49 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 142 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2020

71 by Vindicater »»
Apr 24, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 141 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2020

75 by Vindicater »»
Apr 23, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.