Forum Settings
Forums

Hello what would you think if a 18-year-old man watch anime? (it's not me)

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 24, 2018 4:04 PM

Dec 2012
Wyatt said:
Kinetics said:

Some top of the notch seinen like Monster or Steins Gate I believe...
Nah this is complete rubbish, just watch what you like.

honestly monster is just a glorified batman comic, though a good one, and steins;gate is filled with otaku references and degeneracy, certainly something no self respecting adult indulges in

It doesn't matter, my point is that there is no such anime that is for "cultured adults" or children, it is a form of entertainment and you pick what you like. It may be marketed for a particular audience but that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it.
Jan 24, 2018 4:18 PM

May 2017
hahahahaahahah he is 18 and he is watching anime hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaahhh
Jan 24, 2018 4:20 PM

Sep 2014
I'm 98 years old and still watch cartoons. You got another 80 years to go lad.
Jan 24, 2018 4:22 PM
Aug 2017
KaoriCLN said:
KaoriCLN said:
i wouldn't care at all but maybe it's because My brother who has 19 yeasr old watches it, so i think im accustomed

(but depends the anime)

lol it's my first post gfkfhjgfhjkgfhjfkjhjf

You should know that a large part of MAL is older than 20, some are 30s.
Jan 24, 2018 4:23 PM
Aug 2017
It is normal. It would be strange if you didn't watch anime.
Jan 24, 2018 4:26 PM

Nov 2017
I think of him as another normal potato...
Jan 24, 2018 4:36 PM

Dec 2012
I'd say Welcome to the Club. I'm a 35 year old man who's been watching anime for 20 years.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 24, 2018 4:37 PM
Oct 2015
ticket2 said:
18-year-old man
so a child suddenly turns into a man (or lady) when they hit 18 years of age. At least their at the legal age on watching certain 'animes'.
Heckle was here...
Jan 24, 2018 4:41 PM

Aug 2017
Gross! I bet he has cooties too. Ick.
Jan 24, 2018 4:42 PM

Mar 2014
Kinetics said:
Wyatt said:

honestly monster is just a glorified batman comic, though a good one, and steins;gate is filled with otaku references and degeneracy, certainly something no self respecting adult indulges in

It doesn't matter, my point is that there is no such anime that is for "cultured adults" or children, it is a form of entertainment and you pick what you like. It may be marketed for a particular audience but that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it.

cultured adults is of course a joke, but you dont think there are things that are for older people than other things? Could you say without a shadow of a doubt in your heart that The Passion of Joan of Arc and Madagascar 2 are equally respectable, and having one or the other as your favorite film at any age is not different at all
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2018 5:03 PM

Feb 2008
18-year-olds aren't "men". They're boys and children.
Jan 24, 2018 5:09 PM
Sep 2016
Wyatt said:
man_of_culture said:
Depends what kind of anime he watches. If he watched shit for kids like Naruto, Dragon Ball, etc., then I would not think very highly of him. If he watched anime for cultured adults, then it would be fine.

what anime are for cultured adults lmao
A lot, maybe if you stop watching shonen you would notice them.
Jan 24, 2018 5:11 PM

Mar 2014
GyrosPizzeria said:
Wyatt said:

what anime are for cultured adults lmao

what lol? i havent watched a shonen in like 7 years
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2018 5:13 PM

Dec 2016
"(It's not me)" XD

Well, since anime is obviously for kids, idk what that 18 year old "man" is doing in this community.
ShionJan 24, 2018 5:17 PM
Jan 24, 2018 5:13 PM

Jan 2016
Wyatt said:

cultured adults is of course a joke, but you dont think there are things that are for older people than other things? Could you say without a shadow of a doubt in your heart that The Passion of Joan of Arc and Madagascar 2 are equally respectable, and having one or the other as your favorite film at any age is not different at all

Only insecure teenagers think of "This is for kids so i dont like it anymore xdxd" or "Im too mature to like this".Seriously, just like what you like and dont shame yourself into not enjoying it anymore.
Jan 24, 2018 5:18 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Super very normal and definitely not a special snowflake or weird like what you're thinking.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 24, 2018 5:19 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
idk, I'm 23-year-old man watching anime, what do you think of me?
Jan 24, 2018 5:22 PM

Mar 2014
Loriental said:
Wyatt said:

Only insecure teenagers think of "This is for kids so i dont like it anymore xdxd" or "Im too mature to like this".Seriously, just like what you like and dont shame yourself into not enjoying it anymore.

don't misrepresent me, that's not what i said. my favorite manga is one piece, which is for fucking babies; that doesn't at all mark against its quality and potency, but it's still for babies. being able to be fully immersed in children's art, or animation period, as a grown adult IS a sign of immaturity, even if that art is still fantastic. its not a criticism, and in 20 years ill probably still think ratatouille is a masterpiece, but itll be at least a little weird that i think that
Jan 24, 2018 5:23 PM

Nov 2017
I wouldn't think anything of it, I think anime is for all ages it doesn't matter whether or not you're 18, 30, 24, or 90. :)
Jan 24, 2018 5:24 PM

Oct 2017
Wyatt said:
GyrosPizzeria said:

So you haven't watch One Piece for 7 yrs yet you still use Lufy as your signature?

Also the moment you start thinking what age group should enjoy what type of media already shows that your mind is as immature as an edgy teen who thinks that watching those "adult stuffs" is cooler or something. (Note that edgy teen doesn't imply to all teens, so stop assuming you're being offended if you're a teen, only those people who fit into those description counts )
Ventus_SJan 24, 2018 5:30 PM
Jan 24, 2018 5:26 PM

Mar 2014
Ventus_S said:
Wyatt said:

So you haven't watch One Piece for 7 yrs yet you still use Lufy as your signature?

i read the manga, the anime is shit lol. also ive had this profile pic for like 4 years, i dont really post on the mal forums much so ive never bothered to change it.
Jan 24, 2018 5:30 PM

Oct 2017
Wyatt said:
Ventus_S said:

i read the manga, the anime is shit lol. also ive had this profile pic for like 4 years, i dont really post on the mal forums much so ive never bothered to change it.

So does that make any difference?
You still watch shonen, and your stance is void.

Ok, now I find it more funny that you assume manga is more mature than anime lolz..
They're on equal footing.
Jan 24, 2018 5:31 PM

Mar 2014
GyrosPizzeria said:
Wyatt said:

don't misrepresent me, that's not what i said. my favorite manga is one piece, which is for fucking babies; that doesn't at all mark against its quality and potency, but it's still for babies. being able to be fully immersed in children's art, or animation period, as a grown adult IS a sign of immaturity, even if that art is still fantastic. its not a criticism, and in 20 years ill probably still think ratatouille is a masterpiece, but itll be at least a little weird that i think that
So to be mature you have to, mm I don't know, work 12+ hours per day, come home and watch news and then sleep ? How in the hell watching something shows if you are mature or not LOL.

y-you just misrepresnted me again lmao, i didn't say anything close to that. there's a disconnect one's empathy if they can get so attached to drawings, which is a sign of immaturity. it doesn't mean you're a crying baby shitting your pants, its just like, there's obviously art that appeals to more empathic and complex elements of spirituality and humanity than fuckin kids shows
Jan 24, 2018 5:33 PM

Jan 2016
@Wyatt Mate the entertaiment you consume is FAR from what defines your maturity.
Jan 24, 2018 5:34 PM

Mar 2014
Ventus_S said:
Wyatt said:

Ok, now I find it more funny that you assume manga is more mature than anime lolz..

Why the fuck is everyone misrepresenting me so much? The One Piece manga is better than the anime. That is completely unrelated to the two mediums as a whole. Also, manga is way better than anime lmao. What? I can be immature for the things I like. Regardless of shonens, I fuckin love some anime, and anime is inherently immature, so I'm a bit of a kid for liking those things. There's nothing wrong with immaturity. Also im a teenger so i give myself some leeway for those things
Jan 24, 2018 5:35 PM

Dec 2015
Nothing. Entertainment is for everyone. -unless you watch 8+ cartoons-
Jan 24, 2018 5:35 PM

Mar 2014
Loriental said:
@Wyatt Mate the entertaiment you consume is FAR from what defines your maturity.

oh yeah for sure, not fully. just, like, if you're 40 and watch telletubbies all day, that shows SOME immaturity. you could be a genius empath politician and do that
Jan 24, 2018 5:36 PM

Jun 2016
lol what a fag xD Who watches anime when they're 18!? ha..hahaha...
Jan 24, 2018 5:37 PM

Jan 2017
I'm almost 30 and I still love Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura...same way i like adult stuff too, there's no such thing as an age to watch/read something, if you like it, that's what matters.
I wish i was still 18 to watch and read more stuff! :P
Jan 24, 2018 5:38 PM

Jun 2017
Nothing, I am 25 and watch anime daily lol.
Jan 24, 2018 5:38 PM

Jan 2016
Wyatt said:
Ventus_S said:

Why the fuck is everyone misrepresenting me so much? The One Piece manga is better than the anime. That is completely unrelated to the two mediums as a whole. Also, manga is way better than anime lmao. What? I can be immature for the things I like. Regardless of shonens, I fuckin love some anime, and anime is inherently immature, so I'm a bit of a kid for liking those things. There's nothing wrong with immaturity. Also im a teenger so i give myself some leeway for those things

Correct me if im misrepresenting you, but you think that anime is inherently less mature than manga? If so, holy fuck that is one of the most retarded things I ever heard.
Jan 24, 2018 5:39 PM

Mar 2014
Loriental said:
Wyatt said:

Correct me if im misrepresenting you, but you think that anime is inherently less mature than manga? If so, holy fuck that is one of the most retarded things I ever heard.

nah, its not more immature, its just *worse*

like i couldnt prove it, but thats how i feel
Jan 24, 2018 5:39 PM

Dec 2012
Wyatt said:
Loriental said:

It's a form of entertainment not a mark for maturity. Of course your personal tastes might change based on experience through which you might gravitate towards other types of anime or other medium, but this does not indicate your maturity in the real world.
Jan 24, 2018 5:44 PM

Jan 2016
Kinetics said:
Wyatt said:

It's a form of entertainment not a mark for maturity. Of course your personal tastes might change based on experience through which you might gravitate towards other types of anime or other medium, but this does not indicate your maturity in the real world.

My mind straight up goes to all 30yrs+ living in their mom's basement who have Legend of the galatic heroes as their favorite.
Jan 24, 2018 6:25 PM

Mar 2014
Loriental said:
Kinetics said:

My mind straight up goes to all 30yrs+ living in their mom's basement who have Legend of the galatic heroes as their favorite.

im 15 lmao. i mean, that's sorta a mean elitist thought there, isn't it? like weren't you just talkin about liking what you like? anyway, logh is like, ridiculously beautiful and touches all the most romanticc, truthful and hopeful parts of my soul so its my favorite anime.
Jan 24, 2018 6:29 PM

Jan 2016
Wyatt said:
Loriental said:

im 15 lmao. i mean, that's sorta a mean elitist thought there, isn't it? like weren't you just talkin about liking what you like? anyway, logh is like, ridiculously beautiful and touches all the most romanticc, truthful and hopeful parts of my soul so its my favorite anime.

I could go all "Bwhaaa you are misrepresenting me" but i wont(Even though i kinda already did).
What I exemplified is a person that likes a supposedely mature show and is still immature.Im not calling you out on being immature or saying Logh is bad or that the people who like it are immature/elitists/pretenders.What I meant is to show that the content you consume does not correlate to your maturity.
Jan 24, 2018 6:33 PM

Mar 2014
Loriental said:
Wyatt said:

I could go all "Bwhaaa you are misrepresenting me" but i wont(Even though i kinda already did).
What I exemplified is a person that likes a supposedely mature show and is still immature.Im not calling you out on being immature or saying Logh is bad or that the people who like it are immature/elitists/pretenders.What I meant is to show that the content you consume does not correlate to your maturity.

oh yeah for sure, there are huge immature babies that love logh lmao
Jan 24, 2018 6:36 PM

Nov 2017
Forget being 18, anyone who watches anime at any age deserves to be shunned!
(Translator's Note: "nico nico nii" means "SHINY DAYS in My Pocket")

nico nico nii.

Jan 24, 2018 7:12 PM

Jan 2018
I won't think about anything. It's fine, OP
Jan 24, 2018 7:16 PM

Jul 2016
Is this a legitimate question or a troll one? I would put money on the fact that 75% of people who watch anime are over 18 years old. I mean, I'm 25.
Jan 24, 2018 9:23 PM

Oct 2017
Wyatt said:
GyrosPizzeria said:
So to be mature you have to, mm I don't know, work 12+ hours per day, come home and watch news and then sleep ? How in the hell watching something shows if you are mature or not LOL.

y-you just misrepresnted me again lmao, i didn't say anything close to that. there's a disconnect one's empathy if they can get so attached to drawings, which is a sign of immaturity. it doesn't mean you're a crying baby shitting your pants, its just like, there's obviously art that appeals to more empathic and complex elements of spirituality and humanity than fuckin kids shows

Though at the same time lots of kids films can say much. Pixar is pretty good at this with films like Inside Out or Toy Story. Not to mention I would argue that LOTOR is one of the better representations of Western folk lore and that was originally written for Tolkien's children. It is my favorite book and movie period both when I was 9 and now when I am 20 and I actually appreciate it more after reading more about Tolkien's life and learning about other legends and history that inspired it like the Song of Roland. If you also read into it you can see how it expresses much of Tolkien's experiences regarding WWI as well especially regarding Frodo and his decision at the end of the story. Secondly I mean technically FMAB is only for teens but there are many themes touched on Imperialism, Forgiveness and even Social Darwinism not to mention even a Faustian Bargain and the consequences from it. Koi no Katachi is technically a shonen but deals with guilt forgiveness, suicide and many other themes that I wouldn't dub as childish in the least. Just because something doesn't reside in the Seinen or Josei category doesn't mean it can't communicate complicated ideas or themes. Also ultimately everything and anything can portray "deep or complex human emotions" it isn't limited to an age of appeal. The Chronicles of Narnia are just a massive allegory and exploration of the Christian faith and once again those books were for kids.

As for your other reply if a man works hard everyday provides for his wife and kids, raises them with good morals and work ethic and then he wants to watch old episodes of Sesame Street by himself while his kids play outside. He is still mature and not childish in the least it would be childish only if he neglected personal responsibilities which can apply to even those that like older shows. Maturity has nothing to do with what you do for entertainment and more with how you conduct yourself. To be fair I don't think you are implying any sort traits to those who watch stuff like Pokemon and even what you have in your favorites does imply this but I just reject the idea that you can't have a work made for children be as equally impactful or complex as one for say adults.

Also this quote:
“No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond.” - CS Lewis

Honestly I would argue a good children's story is one that can be be meaningful no matter what the age and maybe are even more important later in life and I think the most highly respected ones are such works.
BilboBaggins365Jan 24, 2018 10:15 PM
Jan 24, 2018 9:27 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
HE NEEDS TO FUCKING KILL HIMSELF, GAWD, WHAT A LOSER

seriously?

why would you ask this?

im pretty damn sure the majority of anime fans are in their 20s and 30s
Jan 24, 2018 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
Glad to know it's not you, op.

Jokes aside, there's nothing wrong with it.
Jan 24, 2018 9:49 PM

Feb 2017
my 71 yrs old grandpa watches anime (shin chan) period.

Jan 24, 2018 9:53 PM
Dec 2017
I am happy it isn't you op because if it was i would have made fun of you all day and ruin your social life that if you had one (you probably don't )
Jan 24, 2018 10:09 PM
Jun 2013
Does he have a sister that also likes anime and men that like anime? (I'm not a part of this group) :rolls_eyes:

I might say hello but do my best not to interrupt the viewing of the anime
Anime exists
all is well
Jan 24, 2018 10:10 PM
Jul 2018
> be 21 yr old girl who still watches anime

there are people who are way older than 18 including myself who watch animu, literally there are animu fans in their thirties and forties calm down
Jan 24, 2018 10:15 PM
Jul 2018
I don't mind/care, And does it really matter what your age is when you watch anime.
Jan 24, 2018 10:28 PM

May 2017
I would have been happy if he was 20 ,sheesh I'm 19
Jan 24, 2018 10:29 PM

Jan 2017
id think he is doing life right! Anime doesnt have an age
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 minutes ago

1 by rohan121 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 30 minutes ago

5 by delirific »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

52 by Punkero »»
3 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - Today

49 by Deknijff »»
9 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.