Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 31, 2017 4:50 PM

Dec 2017
Hey everyone! Maybe my suggestion has already been proposed but forgive me not to search among 125 pages..
I really like the site and the way it is build made me dicover some good animes. However, even if the rating system looks pretty good, there is something that bothering me is the fact we can't distinguish male ratings and female ones.

No offense but animes like Owarimonogatari, Haikyuu!!, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Monogatari, Aria The Origination, Ano Hi Mita, Nana, Nichijou, etc...seems to be oriented for girls. I respect everybody that like these animes but i know for sure i'll never watch these!

So i think it would increase the relevance of ratings to create "the possibility" to see the ratings for male members and female members. You can let the overall/mixed rating like it is right now but you could add a separated male/female ratings option. You'll see that the ratings will be pretty different from the mixed one.

Plus, technically i don't think it will be too hard. I guess most of the members have at least specified their gender in their profile settings.
JC_UnknownDec 31, 2017 5:21 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 31, 2017 6:16 PM
Nov 2017
Did you just assume many MAL user's genders? Male? Female? What is this 1955?

Dec 31, 2017 6:43 PM

Oct 2015
Shigatsu wa kimi no uso, Anohana, Nichijou, Haikyuu
>for girls

Sorry but both genders like that

Aria, Owarimonogatari
> not for everyone, not exclusive to girls. I doubt there's more girls that watched these compared to boys

You should pick better choices because most of these are in the top because of MALE ratings and not just FEMALE ratings alone.

The top will be pretty different for female ratings but I doubt anything will change in the male top ratings
Dec 31, 2017 7:39 PM

Jul 2016
It wouldn't work because there's a non-binary option on MAL and it's become a trend to be dishonest about your gender. A lot of males I know here who had their gender set to male changed it to female.

People who are thoughtful also won't follow male or female patterns.
Dec 31, 2017 7:53 PM
Feb 2012
You're a complete and utter moron. Don't ever post again.
Dec 31, 2017 10:23 PM

Jul 2016
Bruh posting from 1955
Dec 31, 2017 10:30 PM
Feb 2017
A male oriented, female oriented and all version will be good for anime sites. Feminist animes, women empowering ones and left liberal people (Male and female) can enjoy themselves without becoming a nuisance to others.
Jan 1, 2018 12:50 AM

Apr 2014
Heh? Then those special snowflakes I mean "non-binary" and not specified would gonna complain.
Just no, we need to be have gender equality here.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jan 1, 2018 2:05 AM

Apr 2016
Be careful OP, it is dangerous on this site to not acknowledge non-binary. They will sent moderator on you, like they did on me.
Jan 1, 2018 2:11 AM

Apr 2014
It wouldn't work on this website.
Jan 1, 2018 2:11 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
On an anonymous forum where anyone can set whatever gender they want regardless of who they are IRL? Doesn't seem like a very reliable statistic

Then again part of MAL's rules go about assuming people's age with equally little evidence so what do I know...
Jan 1, 2018 2:14 AM

Apr 2016
HaXXspetten said:
Then again part of MAL's rules go about assuming people's age with equally little evidence so what do I know...

Dude, MAL rules are like Half Life 3, we all know it exist, but only a few seen it.
Jan 1, 2018 2:38 AM

Apr 2014
Swagernator said:
Be careful OP, it is dangerous on this site to not acknowledge non-binary. They will sent moderator on you, like they did on me.
Yeah, this happens on me too.
But unlike you, I only get banned once a year, and became yearly occurrence.
And only for this kind of reason, not for shitposting.
Jan 1, 2018 3:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Swagernator said:
HaXXspetten said:

Dude, MAL rules are like Half Life 3, we all know it exist, but only a few seen it.
If you go have some lewd public discussions with someone on an alt, then change your birth year on it to like 2005, go back to your main account and use that to report everyone you talked to with your alt for cybering with a minor and you can get them perma-banned according to the rules

Not that I know if anyone's actually done that but due to how the rules are formulated, I'm sure you could do that. All they care about is the input birth date despite it not meaning shit here lol
Jan 1, 2018 7:29 AM

Jun 2015
Particularly when all the ones you mention with the exception of Nana are more targeted towards the male demographic.
Jan 1, 2018 12:38 PM

Dec 2015
Exactly. Luckily Overlord season 2 will be for both Male and Females. It has been said that Overlord have the potential to end sexism, racism, cure hunger, restore orgasm, end no fap sprees, and more addicting than heroin and opium.
I ship @Cewkie and @DarkZeroCalibur
Jan 1, 2018 2:00 PM

Oct 2014
I could see that working. Not everyone is honest about their sex, but if someone is identifying as the opposite gender they'll probably also have the taste of that gender so it might not be a problem. Don't forget the non-binary option.
Jan 1, 2018 2:02 PM

Dec 2015
Zombie is right. Usually I would be on the there's only 2 genders. 1 That fucks and 1 that breeds, but after watching Overlord and being enlighten by Ainz-sama, I can confirm that there's more than 2 genders.
I ship @Cewkie and @DarkZeroCalibur
Jan 1, 2018 2:17 PM

Dec 2017
Why so much animosity? Why are people asking if we in 1955? When you have read my first post i think you didn't pay attention to the words i used, especially to avoid that kind of replies. I used "no offense" and i said that "i respect" people who like animes i mentionned.

My post is not sexist at all! I didn't say women must do dishes, not work or not vote! I just think women in general have different tastes and area of interets than the boys and vice versa. It doesn't mean that girls can't watch some animes and boys can't watch others. Look, i grew up watching Saint Seiya, DBZ, Hokuto no Ken and when it was the hour of Sailor Moon i used to not watch it. Not because it is poor, but just because it didn't interested me! To see school girls, with big eyes, romance or stuff like that (i know it is not only that ok), sorry but it doesn't interest me. And i think i'm sure i'm not the only one. Just look at Owarimonogatari anime main cover. You are telling me that it ain't oriented? I guess there are some boys who watch it but it is very hypocrit to say it ain't oriented. And if you read well my post you'll see that i just "suggested" to "add" male and female ranking "option", not to remove overall note.

All that feminist movement is just ridiculous. I don't think males are superior to females but it is obvious they have different sensitivity. As we are "equal", girls, go offer flowers to your boyfriends, and boys, let your girlfriends carry heavy stuff. You'll see if we are equal then.

In the last months i found an article where japanese was ranking their favorite animes and there was a male ranking and a female one and results weren't the same. Unfortunately i can't find it again.

Jan 1, 2018 2:29 PM

Dec 2017
The gender of the heroïn is not important to me. Years ago i watched kill la kill and i found it was not bad. I also watched Legend of Korra and i found it great. Maybe i have a problem with these "schoolgirls" mangas and animes.
Jan 1, 2018 2:47 PM

Dec 2017
Girls, if tomorrow you see your boyfriends in dress and high heels and he tell you it wants to be like that everyday, would it be ok? And guys, if tomorrow your girlfriends tell you they want to let body hairs grow evrywhere, would you be ok with that?

Everyone calling me moron and telling me i come from 1955, you are hypocrit or sheeps.
Jan 1, 2018 3:23 PM

Apr 2014
@JC_Unknown
TL;DR
This ain't gonna work here. Because of this --->
That thing was being abused here, You clearly don't read our post.
Jan 1, 2018 3:37 PM

Dec 2017
@Rayzer, i have read all the replies and i have understand that everyone can change his gender and also the existence of that non-binary gender option. I was just replying to all these perfect "non binary" people that boys aren't girls as far i'm concerned and that gender equality has its limits.
Jan 1, 2018 5:14 PM

Jul 2017
Is nobody else sitting here laughing at the idea of Owarimonogatari being for girls? Here I was thinking the Monogatari series fanbase was like 90% male.

Reddit warning

That might be relevant to this discussion...
Jan 1, 2018 9:55 PM

Apr 2014
@JC_Unknown
Then why still bother asking for this?
You will just get fake/unreliable results, it's gonna be useless.
Jan 1, 2018 10:38 PM

Oct 2014
@JC_Unknown

You clearly don't understand the anime fanbase. You should know about both fujoshi and the male fans of magical girl and idol anime by now. Straight girls like hot guys and straight guys like cute girls so it's only natural that guys would like more feminine of anime and girls would like more masculine anime even though when they were younger they most likely were into the opposite.

The fact that you even claimed a harem anime, Bakemonogatari, which is made for a distinctly male audience and only has a niche female fanbase while primarily drawing in males could be "made for females" is about as ignorant as thinking a calendar of sexy girls in swimsuits would be targeted towards a female audience seeing as the people in it are female and assuming the girls would identify with the females and possibly want to buy those swimsuits. Your idea isn't bad, you just don't understand much of anything about your fellow humans.
Jan 1, 2018 10:57 PM

Jul 2016
can we also have a virgin and non virgin rate split?
Jan 1, 2018 11:46 PM
Jul 2018
Your Lie in April and Aria are Shounen. :D

Ofc it's true that there is a gender target audience for many anime. There are also enough discussions about demographic tags etc...

Tbh, it could be interesting to have a section of splitted scores for a gender statistic and also for age groups maybe. Tho, that's a lot of work about something that nobody really needs and enough people don't prefer their assumed target group / demographics.

Edit: okay OP, please calm down?
removed-userJan 1, 2018 11:56 PM
Jan 2, 2018 1:57 AM

Oct 2016
Only two genders?
Kitsunethyst said:
What is this 1955?
YanriJan 2, 2018 2:01 AM
Jan 2, 2018 2:19 AM

Nov 2009
OGBsweets said:

Seconded. Let's also get scores separated by age, gender, and virginity status, because I don't trust a virgin male who is a year younger than me to score an anime in a way that helps me decide what to watch.

@JC_Unknown
In all seriousness, I wouldn't use a gender rating system because I watch and enjoy all genres, I can see how this could be useful to others. At the same time, I feel as though the majority of the MAL community is male (feel free to direct me to a ratio of male to female users if it exists), so I don't see why the scores aren't probably male-dominated anyways. That aside, as long as the non-binary option is included in separation of scoring, I don't see why it would be a problem other than effort. It could potentially get abused by people faking their genders, but it couldn't be much worse than the amount of fake accounts promoting Violet Evergarden or 9410 users rating Pingu a 10. No offense to said Pingu-lovers.

I will definitely agree that you are sorely misguided when it comes to the target audiences, though. I've seen a good portion of Monogatari Series and that fanservice is definitely not targeted toward females. I would also assume that Haikyuu, being a shounen sports anime, was originally intended for males (it has a very shounen plot structure, after all). However, many females enjoy male-dominated casts for the same reasons that many men enjoy female-dominated casts: the opposite sex is attractive (unless you like the same sex; I'm trying to make a point about target audience, not exclude anyone).

I'm not sure where you live, but in the US, generally male-target shows can be very masculine or crude and have male-dominated casts, while female-targeted shows may be drama, romance, and, well, maybe very pink (also may have a female-dominated cast, or a better balance for the sake of romance and eye-candy). Japanese target audiences don't necessarily work the same way, although they can. Anime targeted toward a gender might actually have casts made up entirely of the opposite gender, which you wouldn't see in the US generally (unless it was heavily sexualized to attract the opposite gender). You do not have to like what Japan is targeting toward you, and you can like things that aren't targeted toward you (God knows I do), however, you should learn about the titles you are talking about rather than looking at a simple visual and deciding who it is target towards. You may also learn more about target-marketing in general in anime, and you may discover something that is surprisingly targeted toward you, and better yet, you may watch it and enjoy it. Three cheers for leaving our comfort zones!

In general, I hate how in the US, something like Madoka would be considered a girly show. Too many men are too wrapped up in their own masculinity (probably society's fault) and won't watch something with pink in it. I enjoy the male anime community because many of them seem to be more open-minded about that type of thing. I love that my boyfriend will sit down and watch Princess Tutu with me and actually enjoy it. Great anime comes in all forms; don't dismiss it because it looks girly. Nichijou is purely absurdity, and if you like Gintama's style of humor, you may enjoy Nichijou. It's not a girly show in the slightest; it's a bunch of comedy skits. If you don't like it, drop it, but don't dismiss it based on you misconception. I mean, if you know what you like, you dn't have to branch out, but you're making incorrect assumptions, which could lead to you missing out on something you'd enjoy.

Sorry for the essay. I hope you read this in a primarily friendly tone. (*ノωノ)
Jan 2, 2018 3:05 AM

Feb 2015
IntoOpenWaters said:
OGBsweets said:

At the same time, I feel as though the majority of the MAL community is male (feel free to direct me to a ratio of male to female users if it exists)

There's this thing

From all people I know that are into anime/manga, most are guys who quite often are into gaming too. The girls I know are usually more into manga than anime tho it doesn't matter that much I guess.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 2, 2018 3:12 AM

Nov 2009
Hakaminah said:
IntoOpenWaters said:

At the same time, I feel as though the majority of the MAL community is male (feel free to direct me to a ratio of male to female users if it exists)

There's this thing

From all people I know that are into anime/manga, most are guys who quite often are into gaming too. The girls I know are usually more into manga than anime tho it doesn't matter that much I guess.

Oh wow, I didn't think it actually existed! Thanks for the info; it's very helpful! I noticed it doesn't include non-binary. I'm curious if it's because they are less than 1% of the MAL population, or if they were just excluded...?
Jan 2, 2018 3:27 AM

Feb 2015
@IntoOpenWaters from my guess they count as not specified, that statistic was made for those that want to put their ads on mal so it's probably just easier to include only male and female ratio.
I can't really think of a produkt that would be targeted towards non-binary people.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 2, 2018 7:00 AM
Jul 2018
Also, I think that such statistics could create more bias about anime you might could have enjoyed otherwise, because the synopsis and style would appeal to you.

Even about '"neutral" anime without demographic tags.
I mean, these things also don't tell so much more than about the kind of publisher magazines etc...

JC_Unknown said:

No offense but animes like Owarimonogatari, Haikyuu!!, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Monogatari, Aria The Origination, Ano Hi Mita, Nana, Nichijou, etc...seems to be oriented for girls. I respect everybody that like these animes but i know for sure i'll never watch these!

There you have it. :D

And I'm pretty sure the Monogatari-series is aimed to:
1. Straight guys
2. Lesbians and bi girls
3. Everyone else xD
removed-userJan 2, 2018 7:31 AM
Jan 2, 2018 3:19 PM

Oct 2015
The_Maenades said:

Reddit warning

Thanks for linking, that was kind of interesting.

Found me some anime I am now (more) interested in watching. :D
----------------------

You will just get fake/unreliable results

Even if it is jaded by fake fe/male accounts, strong trends should still make it through some, say, 10%? of faked identities.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jan 2, 2018 4:44 PM

Jan 2017
OGBsweets said:
ROFL, EXACTLY DUDE
Am i supposed to put some philosofical quote that makes me look smart in here, or what?
Jan 2, 2018 5:17 PM

Dec 2017
@IntoOpenWaters

I have totally read your post in a friendly tone (as some of the others in this thread). :D You gave your opinion without giving me lessons or calling me a sexist.

I'm new on this site so i didn't know how everything works and your explanation plus some other ones learn me interesting things and i understand what most of the people in here don't need the option i suggested. It was just an option i would have loved but if it stays as it is it's not a big deal. Scores don't necessarily dictate my choices even if it can helps.

For Monogatari Series by example, it's true i can't affirm it is for girls but i can't get into into it despite its ratings. Not because i'm a real man, non emotive or bullshit like that but just because the cover is just too girly for me, and the synopsis is not worth for my tastes. For Haikyuu i exagerated a bit because in France the volleyball is mostly practiced by girls and i know nobody who recommend me these animes or mangas. I'm not a manga addict like some people on this site (note judging) , i'm a moderate manga/anime fan so what i watch or read is pretty restricted. Generally i only watch animes where i can see fights. Not necessarily animes with fights all the time but i need a minimum.

Sometimes i give a chance for animes like Steins (who was disapointing for me) but that's all! I thought there was more people like me (and like all the people i know in France who are interested in mangas) but i see i was wrong!

JC_UnknownJan 2, 2018 6:29 PM
Jan 2, 2018 5:50 PM

Dec 2017
Right now i'm watching some members account profiles (not members on this thred) and this is obvious a lot of members are lying about their genders (really dumb) and i can tell most of them are female. When you have male members who favourite mangas are Love Lab, Girl Friends, ReLife, Citrus, New Game and whose 10 favorite characters are 10 girls, it is pretty obvious some members are lying.
Jan 2, 2018 5:50 PM

Oct 2014
JC_Unknown said:
@IntoOpenWaters

I have totally read your post in a friendly tone (as some of the others in this thread). :D You gave your opinion without giving me lessons or calling me a sexist.

I'm new on this site so i didn't know how everything works and your explanation plus some other ones learn me interesting things and i understand what most of the people in here don't need the option i suggested. It was just an option i would have loved but if it stays as it is it's not a big deal. Scores don't necessarily dictate my choices even if it can helps.

For Monogatari Series by example, it's true i can affirm it is for girls but i can't get into into it despite its ratings. Not because i'm a real man, non emotive or bullshit like that but just because the cover is just too girly for me, and the synopsis is not worth for my tastes. For Haikyuu i exagerated a bit because in France the volleyball is mostly practiced by girls and i know nobody who recommend me these animes or mangas. I'm not a manga addict like some people on this site (note judging) , i'm a moderate manga/anime fan so what i watch or read is pretty restricted. Generally i only watch animes where i can see fights. Not necessarily animes with fights all the time but i need a minimum.

Sometimes i give a chance for animes like Steins (who was disapointing for me) but that's all! I thought there was more people like me (and like all the people i know in France who are interested in mangas) but i see i was wrong!

So to you if an author, artist, songwriter, sculptor, or architect creates something with a 90% male audience in mind and the product correctly receives a 90% male audience you could still override that and say "nope, it's for girls! I don't understand all you fags because this is clearly feminine and you should feel ashamed of yourselves for liking it." Do you consider this to be a good mindset? Would you encourage others to think like you do?

In response to your last post, would you consider EcchiKingMamter to appear female? They like girly anime and all of their favourites are girls, even their whole profile is filled with sexy girls! They must be a girl too, right? I'm just going to assume you're homosexual, OP, since you clearly don't understand why guys would like girls.
zombie_pegasusJan 2, 2018 5:54 PM
Jan 2, 2018 5:55 PM

Dec 2017
Obviously there are liars in this thread too! Bravo!!
Jan 2, 2018 5:57 PM

Oct 2014
I'm officially considering you to either have an IQ of 60 or less or to be a massive shitposter trying to farm replies, in which case I probably shouldn't be responding.
Jan 2, 2018 6:08 PM

Dec 2017
[/quote] "nope, it's for girls! I don't understand all you fags because this is clearly feminine and you should feel ashamed of yourselves for liking it." Do you consider this to be a good mindset? Would you encourage others to think like you do?[/quote]

YOU wrote this. This your interpretation of my posts but Since the beginning i think i have been polite, and talk about my tastes. Read my first post and tell me what you don't understand in that phrase " I respect everybody that like these animes"?
Jan 2, 2018 6:11 PM

Oct 2014
JC_Unknown said:
@zombie_pegasus

You calling me homo but just look at your profile? What male has such a profile? The option i suggested (I don't give a damn now) is useless because of people like you who lie on their gender.
How am I lying about my gender? I'm a male and I enjoy both male oriented anime like FMAB and New Game as well as female oriented anime like Cardcaptor Sakura and Aikatsu. The targeted demographic of Sailor Moon is 4-18 year old females, but the male audience must be at least 30% of the people who watch it. A lot of males like anime made for females for waifus (most guys are straight) and imoutos (paternal instinct). A lot of cute anime are made with a male audience in mind, even ones with female MCs. Regular harem anime are all male oriented as they're about an average guy surrounded by pretty/sexy girls while reverse harems are made for females.
Jan 2, 2018 6:17 PM

Oct 2014
You may say you respect everyone's taste, but you clearly don't. If someone only watched anime with animals as the main characters would you assume they're an animal? If someone's favourites list was filled with mecha anime would you come to the conclusion that they must be a robot? You might say that these assumptions aren't offensive, but saying someone is something they aren't can hurt their feelings.
Jan 2, 2018 6:18 PM

Dec 2017
Anyway, i don't want to disturb you. Ok your a male and has the right to watch what you want. But please don't make me say what i didn't say because i hate that and i think you wouldn't too. Thank you
Jan 2, 2018 6:25 PM

Dec 2017
Zombie-Pegasus, forgive me if you felt my posts were offensive. It wasn't my intention suscribing on MAL and creating this thread. I deleted my last replies
Jan 2, 2018 6:46 PM

Dec 2017
Just to finish our debate Zombie-Pegasus, if somebody says he doesn't like fights animes, should i be offended? No i think! Everyone has his tastes. Some love Sci-fi, some love adventures, shojos, etc...
Jan 2, 2018 7:10 PM

Dec 2010
Nep Ece is for girls.
Source: am not a girl.
キターーーー(・∀・)ーーー!!
Jan 2, 2018 10:52 PM
Jul 2018
The_Maenades said:
Is nobody else sitting here laughing at the idea of Owarimonogatari being for girls? Here I was thinking the Monogatari series fanbase was like 90% male.

Reddit warning

Okay, ignoring that weird discussion here: That's the most interesting thing in this thread lol

I haven't expected some results and never heard of some anime.
Most female audience anime: Horror: Petshop of Horrors. Like that title. Must put this on my endless ptw-list.

Didn't expect that the male to female ratio of the Seinen-fanbase would be 70:30. Rounded, it's actually a male fanbase of 70.2 %.
Also Shounen: 66.40 % males. That's pretty low imo.
Martial arts: ~1/3 is female. That's a higher number than I have expected tbh.
Others don't surprise me at all.
Also, oh please let's round that percentage for Hentai up.

@zombie_pegasus
I think your favorite list is really cute / awesome. Seeing FMAB surrounded by pastel colors and cute girls, has a special charm to it. ^^

JC_Unknown said:
Right now i'm watching some members account profiles (not members on this thred) and this is obvious a lot of members are lying about their genders (really dumb) and i can tell most of them are female. When you have male members who favourite mangas are Love Lab, Girl Friends, ReLife, Citrus, New Game and whose 10 favorite characters are 10 girls, it is pretty obvious some members are lying.

Vice versa, I must lie and I'm a guy in reality, if I follow your logic. :D

Tho, you aren't that wrong about the fanbase of Citrus / Girls Love in general. There is always a big female fanbase for Girls Love and many / enough of them are straight. Most of these anime and manga just have cute love stories, even for straight girls.
removed-userJan 2, 2018 11:12 PM
Jan 3, 2018 12:49 PM

Mar 2015
JC_Unknown said:
When you have male members who favourite mangas are Love Lab, Girl Friends, ReLife, Citrus, New Game and whose 10 favorite characters are 10 girls, it is pretty obvious some members are lying.

Not the most convincing statement, considering all but one of those manga came from magazines aimed at a seinen (young adult male) demographic. So males putting them in their favourites is to be expected, I'd say.
DoubleMangekyoJan 3, 2018 12:57 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.