Forum Settings
Forums

Hundreds of HP laptop models found to have hidden keylogging software

New
Dec 11, 2017 9:12 PM

Mar 2008
A security research revealed that some HP laptops have hidden software which can log everything typed on its keypads. More than 460 models have been affected, dating back to 2012, according to the list released by HP.
The discovery was made by researcher Michael Myng who found the keylogging code in in the pre-installed Synaptics Touchpad software on HP laptops.

Keyloggers record every key that is pressed on a keyboard. This means HP laptop users are at risk of having their passwords, bank details, private communications and search history recorded without their knowledge. The keylogger is disabled by default but there’s risk it can be enabled by a hacker.

Myng, who is known online as "ZwClose," learned about the keylogger when he was examining the Synaptics Touchpad software to find out how to control the keyboard backlight. Myng has issued a software patch to remove the keylogger, and HP has released a driver update for affected laptops.

HP says neither the company nor Synaptics had access to the files, and that it was built into the Synaptics software to help debug errors.

"HP uses Synaptics' touchpads in some of its mobile PCs and has worked with Synaptics to provide fixes to their error for impacted HP systems, available via the security bulletin on HP.com," HP said. The company provided a list of models affected.

This is the second keylogger code found in HP laptops this year. In May, Swiss security firm Modzero discovered a keylogger built into the HP audio driver.

Also this year, the company was found to have installed spyware applications on Windows 10 computers. Following a November update, users began noting a HP TouchPoint Analytics Client was installed and uploading information to HP servers daily.

https://www.rt.com/news/412778-hp-laptop-keylogger-code/

I'm not sure I believe it was only for debugging but it's possible but still a bad move.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 11, 2017 9:38 PM

Apr 2017
If people are only just now finding out about this then it seems sort of shady...
Dec 11, 2017 9:41 PM

Mar 2008
SpadesofAce said:
If people are only just now finding out about this then it seems sort of shady...

Built in alphabet soup backdoor maybe?
Dec 11, 2017 9:53 PM

Apr 2017
traed said:
SpadesofAce said:

Built in alphabet soup backdoor maybe?

Lol I'd hope not but you never know
Dec 11, 2017 11:11 PM

Apr 2011
SpadesofAce said:

Ignorant, you mean. Honestly, it's 2017. Why does anyone in their right mind still think that these devices don't also function as spying devices?
Dec 11, 2017 11:11 PM

Aug 2017
How ironic since HP laptops since at least 2012 have been absolute fucking trash anyway.

I guess more like 2011 because thats when I bought mine that died two years later via disk failure.

I wish I could remember when all the layoffs happened; HP was arguably my town's biggest employer before everyone was laid off and quality went downhill.

This doesn't surprise me. At all.
Dec 12, 2017 4:52 AM

Apr 2015
Well, I guess I'm happy to have a Dell now.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 12, 2017 7:45 AM

Nov 2008
I'll be sticking with Samsung for laptops.

Dec 12, 2017 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
Great.
All things considered it isn’t a bad computer, I have one of the better ones processing and speed wise, but why the fuck did it have to be my laptop (and all the others on that list…)
Dec 12, 2017 8:45 AM
Jul 2018
Tfw my computer is an HP... welp x.x

Then again for me Dell sucked ass and I really didn't came back to it afterwards, but yeah this is a bad move per say.
Dec 12, 2017 9:45 AM

Nov 2013
I have an hp laptop, but it shouldn't matter since all companies probably have similar shit going on.
I'm sure all corporations I use products from, or even don't use products from, already know everything about me. This stuff doesn't surprise me.

I can see you

Dec 12, 2017 9:59 AM
Jul 2018
Good thing I stayed away from HP on my laptop purchase, but now I'm guaranteed to stay away from their products
Dec 12, 2017 10:01 AM

Sep 2012
im fucked you guys.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Dec 12, 2017 2:09 PM

Jan 2009
"pre-installed" is already a big, red Flag.

CatSoul said:
Well, I guess I'm happy to have a Dell now.
+
Hoppy said:
I'll be sticking with Samsung for laptops.
Just wait until it will turn out that most other Players also have something in them, like it had been the Case with the Diesel Scandal (and no, not just the VW-Group, but also Daimler, BMW, Fiat Chrysler, PSA (Peugeot), Nissan and so on all have Dirt on them).

Oh and Synaptics is btw. a quite common Provider for Touchpads, so Chances are very great that Models from other Vendors are affected as well.

It sucks though if you have to update even your Drivers constantly just because of a potential Security Risk. What happened to "never change a running System"?
Dec 12, 2017 3:03 PM

Mar 2008
WyNdZ said:
I was actually considering HP for when I decided buying a new laptop but fuck them now. A similar incident happened 6 months back with them, I don't care what their excuse is. It's either them spying or being incompetent, both are bad. Is there any good laptop brand that's not Apple since I can't afford their laptops?

Toshiba and Asus and certain Dell models. Would have also said Lenovo but they did that junkware thing that you cant get rid of. This is based on failure rate according to a laptop insurance company. If you get a Toshiba the hinges tend to break on models like the Satelite series and similar so you have to be carefu opening and closing.
Dec 16, 2017 9:40 AM

Jun 2015
To fix the security issue OP mentioned,
go to this site https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05827409
and download the softpaq corresponding to your hp product/model but don't install it yet.
Uninstall the previous version first and reboot your pc. Now install the file you downloaded before.

ENHANCEMENTS:
- Fixes a security issue.
NOTE: HP strongly recommends transitioning promptly to this updated version which supersedes all previous releases.

Dunno if it will actually solve the security breach in the previous version but it is better than nothing I guess. :\

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.