Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 29, 2017 1:54 PM

Apr 2015
Almost every anime I can sit through without being super annoyed by the main character. This is literally all I ask for.
Nov 29, 2017 2:37 PM

Jul 2017
A objective 10/10 or "masterpiece" doesn't exist to me because I'm usually really critical.
That being said, the highest rated anime for me would The Monogatari series, Steins Gate, Gintama and NGE.
Nov 29, 2017 2:48 PM

Jun 2012
I go by the feeling I have after finishing the series. If it's complete enjoyably drained emptyness I give it a 10. It's the feeling I want to watch the whole thing again from the beginning. I can't say why some stories put me in that state but that's the only reason.
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Nov 29, 2017 4:30 PM

Oct 2017
I think a series is a 10/10 when I feel I wouldn't change a single part of it. I have to enjoy it a lot, and it should have an interesting storyline and memorable characters. The animation quality and music are things to consider as well. Even though some series I rate a 10/10 may have flaws when you really think about it, to me the series was perfect.
Nov 29, 2017 5:19 PM

Jun 2016
Not only very well-written story, characters in depth and interesting plot, but also something I can relate, something that shows me a different perspective.
Nov 29, 2017 8:04 PM
Mar 2017
For me a 10/10 anime is something that i enjoy every episode i watch and i could re-watch over and over again as many times as i want and still not get board.
Nov 29, 2017 8:05 PM
Berserkfan69

May 2017
I don't think one can objectively rate something a 10/10, but if I were to rate something a 10 I wouldn't expect it to be perfect, or anything near it, it'd just have to give me enough enjoyment to consider it my all time favorite.
Nov 29, 2017 8:13 PM

Nov 2015
Something I thoroughly enjoy that I can watch over and over that always manages to stay interesting.
Nov 29, 2017 8:52 PM

Aug 2009
I keep it simple: Anything that I like more than Ikkitousen. I can't put anything above it on my favorites list, but I can gave a few things a higher score than it.

Nov 29, 2017 11:52 PM

Oct 2014
Hmm, in a way I think about it simply but I don't do it often o.o.

It's just an anime that I've managed to get through without hesitation, and has emotionally impacted me in some way, normally the type of anime that leaves some sort of a "void" in you when you're done, which makes you crave more o.o.

I may 10 some anime that weren't finished properly though simply because I still overall enjoyed it, even if the ending did frustrate me... rare, but happens o.o.

Nov 30, 2017 4:38 AM

Aug 2017
Hagemaru the bald little guy is a masterpiece!

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Nov 30, 2017 5:13 AM
Nov 2017
I have a simple list that would make something, in my opinion a 10/10.

- Characters that are believable to the point you would think they are real
- A story that is executed and fully realized to the conclusion
- Feelings and attention can be invested fully throughout
- Has me exploring my soul afterwards with whatever the show presented
Nov 30, 2017 5:36 AM

Nov 2016
great enjoyment
has many despair and emotional scenes
has plot twist/ twist ending
incredible voice acting
has 1 badass character in it

Nov 30, 2017 8:12 AM
Apr 2016
It's when you feel like you in that world and have "connection" to the chara that makes you actually care about them.It's difficult to nailed that sort of thing so thats what masterpiece is really is in my eye
Nov 30, 2017 8:35 AM

Jul 2012
MMO Junkie and A Sister is All You Need are easy 10's.

Shobitch is amazing as well.
Nov 30, 2017 8:53 AM
Jul 2016
Gintama is truly a masterpiece. I have given 10/10 rating to all its seasons.
Nov 30, 2017 9:25 AM

Jun 2016
10/10 for me is an anime that I watched with very high expectations, but still manages to exceeds my expectations, so it's fracking amazeballs (e.g. Shingeki no Kyojin, Monogatari Series, Made In Abyss, Nichijou, Noragami, Natsume Yuujinchou, Working).

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Nov 30, 2017 9:49 AM

Aug 2016
Can it be a series that is still ongoing?
I don't watch ongoing series, I'm a marathon-type person.

Does enjoyment play a factor?
Of course it does!

Do you rate seasons of the same series as one or separate?
Separate.

10/10 Masterpiece is basically something that I can rewatch hundreds of times without getting bored because there's just so many things to look at lol
Nov 30, 2017 11:48 AM

Feb 2017
A_ No, it can't be an ongoing anime. Because i need to see the whole, bigger picture. The ending(dénouement) is important for a plot.

B_ Enjoyment plays a major role in my rating. But i can be impartial if something is a work of art, but if it is i don't think i can possibly dislike it. However, there are certain series that have some value yet i hate them because they have a lot of ecchi/moe and harem routes.

C_If any show, has a great first season, that doesn't mean it will have a great SS. But there's always a chance that a second one can be better than the first.

The only anime that i rated 10/10 were Miyazaki's "Spirited away" and "Monster". Which i consider to be masterpieces.

I could have rated Ergo Proxy a ten as well. Since i consider it to be nothing short of a masterpiece, yet something held me back. I really want to change my mind about that though.

There are several factors that contribute to my rating :
_Enjoyment : it would be a shame to consider something as an exiquisite work of art, yet to be bored while watching it.

_Characters: The main characters need to be likable and relatable to a certain extent. I dislike 1D characters. I like to be attached to the MC and find him/her interesting. For instance, Doctor Tenma and Johan's characters are larger than life. They become more than just a "being of paper", they become mythlogical & allegorical. They have transcended the fiction. So characters need to be symbols, figure-like/icons in a masterpiece. Since i care a lot about representations.

_The Story: The plot is the most important factor. Inconsistencies, logical fallacies, clichés, annoying overused tropes and the like disappoint me.

_Emotions: I'd like to feel moved to tears, excited, or at awe/wonder while watching. It must be the kind of show that i'd finish in one night, even if i have work the next day. So in this case, i need to be aching to see what happens next.

_Intellectual delight: I personally love it when an anime allows me to ponder on some notions it deals with, contemplate on some theories, or at least make me question the character's motives, actions etc. I also feel hyped when noticing subtle references of great work in literature, mythology, philosophy, art, semiotics etc.

_The genre: A show can be a hilarious comedy or a touchy romance and earn a 9 in that genre. But i don't think i'd give such a 10 for a show that doesn't have a consistent plot. So my best choice would be a psychological/philosophical thriller, or something with drama/fantasy, realism or anything that has a thick, complex plot.

But if i rate an anime a 10, that must mean i'll rewatch it in the future, enjoy it with intensity, and that it's my favourite of all time. I'd think of it as something unparalleled.
So a masterpiece for me is something unprecedented, complex, has depth and density, is unequaled, and unsurpassed. It would be the greatest of the great.

noufa_kisakiNov 30, 2017 11:57 AM
" I and the public know What all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil was done Do evil in return " W. H. Auden

Nov 30, 2017 11:58 AM
Nov 2016
Any anime which I enjoy whole heartedly even having any or some issues is a solid 10 for me.
Nov 30, 2017 12:02 PM

May 2016
Nope, I don't think any long ongoing shows will ever get a 10/10 from me.

Yes enjoyment plays a really big factor for me.

Nope, I rate them separately, it's crime to rate another season the same.
Nov 30, 2017 12:04 PM

Aug 2017
The requirements for a 10/10, huh? For me, A proper batch of 720p's is like the key to success in my books (Laptop), Me being in a good mood, watching the anime with no strings connected what so ever cause I hate to watch anime's after being recommended.....and a bit of enjoyment I guess? Ya that would do just fine, to round things up....No! I am not trolling, I actually meant every ounce of what I said!
Nov 30, 2017 12:05 PM

Jun 2015
9-10 are about the same quality to me and are both really good in comparison to other things I've watched.

The difference between the 9-10 mark is personal taste.

I don't rate things before finishing, really.

Nov 30, 2017 12:09 PM

Nov 2013
it has to be a quality anime. i has to have great characters that ill remember for the rest of my life. it has to make me feel emotional. it has to make me want to keep watching. it has to make me want to re watch. it has to make me continue talking about it and thinking about it even in real life when im not watching/thinking of anime
I am the definition of an otaku.
Nov 30, 2017 12:15 PM
Aug 2017
A 10/10 for me is an anime i enjoyed a lot or one that had a deeper meaning and told a beautiful story . For example , SAO is a 10/10 for me , but so is Berserk . Can't say i enjoyed Berserk as much as SAO but i respect the effort and thoughts that went into it . I'm way too generous with my ratings but i give the score that i feel is right .
Nov 30, 2017 12:16 PM

Jul 2017
I gave series 10/10 if i really enjoyed the main point of the anime. It can either be adventure, comedy or scifi. The ending as well is a major factor. Mostly, the animes that I gave 10/10 are the ones that have alot of impact on myself like its either cried, laughed, horrified, amazed etc. etc.
Nov 30, 2017 12:57 PM

Jan 2017
I considered Made in Abyss a masterpiece before it finished airing but I always withhold officially rating it until it finishes airing because I might not like the ending *cough cough* soul eater *cough cough*.

Enjoyment plays a big factor in ratings for me. My second anime was Sword Art Online and at the time, I loved it, so its rated a 9 for me here on MAL. If I were to watch it again, I have no doubt that its score would change now that I have higher standards and have more anime to base my ratings off of. The same goes for my rating of Fairy Tail, which was my 3rd anime.

I rate my seasons separately because different seasons can have different levels of quality or I simply didn't like the route one season took compared to another. For example, I didn't think the foodgasms of Food Wars! Season 1 was necessary and also S1 was less intense than season 2 (in season 1 we didn't really have a sense of scale). That's why I rated S1 a 9 and S2 a strong 10.
RunningShirtGuyNov 30, 2017 1:00 PM
Nov 30, 2017 1:09 PM

Apr 2016
Kyonyuu Fantasy is masterpiece

There's alot more ill just mention these 10/10 quality anime:
Euphoria, Princess Knight Catue, Mahou Shoujo Elena, and Rikan Biyouku
Why do we have to live in such a cruel world?

Nov 30, 2017 1:35 PM

Aug 2016
Eromanga-sensei, masterpiece animu that connects with me on a spiritual level and has enlightened me to worship the imouto gods everyday before I sleep. 10/10 Nuff said.

バカ
I'm not smart, I just wear glasses
"Anime is just Japanese Cartoons, Cartoons are just Western Anime"
☁ н є ѕ ι т α т ι σ и ☁
Nov 30, 2017 5:13 PM

Jul 2012
There is absolutely no flaw in animation and plot. The characters are amazing plus they're developed nicely throughout the anime. Also, there's never a moment where watching the anime feels more like a chore than anything else.
Dec 1, 2017 12:21 PM

Jun 2015
Masterpiece? Cowboy Bebop = 10

[no more words]

Dec 1, 2017 2:09 PM

Mar 2013
PoeticJustice said:
Horizon355 said:
no anime is a 10, they all have flaws.

you are equating rating an anime to taking a test. It makes no sense.

It does to certain people I guess, 10 = perfection, nothing is perfect, it is how I see it
Some are close though, for example, I can't rate steins;gate a 10 because of the awful beginning
Also, people usually rate from 5 to 10, not using all the scale, that makes no sense to me, everything is overrated on MAL imho, hell, even my list contains overrating
Dec 1, 2017 2:14 PM

May 2017
To me a 10/10 is an anime that has interesting concepts, is not wedded to tropeville, has a great soundtrack, great voice acting and at least good animation.

F.e., "Girls Last Tour", "Inuyashiki", "Just Because", "Kino's Journey(2017)", "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" are all 10/10 in the currently airing season.

From older anime:

Evangelion, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Angel Beats!, Your Name, Garden of Words, 5cm per second, Lucky Star, Ghost in the Shell
Dec 1, 2017 2:43 PM

Jun 2016
Jikishi said:
Masterpiece? Cowboy Bebop = 10

[no more words]

This I can agree with, the Japanese version is also very underappreciated from what I've seen.
Dec 9, 2017 12:28 PM
Nov 2017
Detective Conan is the main anime I can call it masterpiece, it is still ongoing but I still like it. It might not be fun for others since it is about solving cases, but I love it and have fun when watching.
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes
Jan 1, 2018 5:36 AM

Oct 2017
Meitantei_Holmes said:
Detective Conan is the main anime I can call it masterpiece, it is still ongoing but I still like it. It might not be fun for others since it is about solving cases, but I love it and have fun when watching.

Wow, I really agree with you, Detective Conan is also my favourite anime and I love it so much and have fun watching it >__<
''We have to live a life with no regrets.'' -By Portgas D. Ace
Jan 1, 2018 5:40 AM

Feb 2016
The decision is completely arbitrary.
Jan 1, 2018 5:42 AM

Apr 2016
It's 10/10 when I can't think of a flaw off the top of my head after finishing it.
I'll give something a rating so far if it's ongoing, but what happens later can affect that in either way.
Jan 5, 2018 4:32 AM
Jan 2017
Every Gintama Season and also HxH are 1/0 Infinity!! ;)
they transcend masterpiece
Jan 5, 2018 4:47 AM

Aug 2014
Yes
Yes
And
Yes.

I rate Shuumatsu Ryokou 10/10 during the air including Made in Abyss. ( I might change it so that could be added as an argument)

Yes enjoyment play a factor because enjoyment differ in each people.
I could rate a damn bad anime 10/10 because it's so damn hilarious.
I haven't seen any series based on season that i rate 10/10 though there might be and it is possible.
BnHA might be a good example of it.
Jan 5, 2018 4:56 AM

May 2015
Horizon355 said:
PoeticJustice said:

you are equating rating an anime to taking a test. It makes no sense.

It does to certain people I guess, 10 = perfection, nothing is perfect, it is how I see it
10 is just the best one has seen while putting the others in perspective to it/them. If a perfection cannot be achieved than why include it in your scale?

Some are close though, for example, I can't rate steins;gate a 10 because of the awful beginning
What was awful was the reverting any progress the show made and its melodramatic ending.

Also, people usually rate from 5 to 10, not using all the scale, that makes no sense to me, everything is overrated on MAL imho, hell, even my list contains overrating
Until they are consistent what's the issue? You are rating from 1 to 9 so it's not like you are using the whole scale either.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2018 6:51 AM

Nov 2016
I base the 8+ rating on the level of feeling it induced
if it makes me laugh so hard that tears come then it deserves a big 10
if it brings pain to my chest and makes me cry and end up in fetal position then a big 10
if it clears my mind, refreshes me and makes the day brighter then thank you a big 10
Jan 5, 2018 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
I give 10/10 according to :

1. A good Plot / Plot Development
2. Unique and Realistic ( Not cliche ) Characters / Characters Development
3. Contains Marvelous Soundtracks OST / Songs / OP / ED
4. Graphics / Visual effects
5. Animation ( Especially in Fight scenes )
6. Enjoyment & Hype that I can feel
7. The Environment of the Anime ( ex : magical world / samurai era / world in future etc .. )
8. Seyiuu's voices fitting ( and the emotions I can feel from them ofc)
9. has a proper ending - or ongoing but the flow of the events is good in general -
10. NO too much fanservice / ecchi
11. Contains lots of genres ( that I can laugh / cry / get goosebumbs / get hyped / get a rise in tension etc .. )

Well , if an anime had like 9 or more from these 11 points , I give it 10/10 as masterpiece
Jan 6, 2018 4:13 PM
Sep 2017
A 10/10 anime or manga for me is that:
First, it has to have a good plot
Second, the characters have to have a significant role in the story
Third, there shouldn't be a lot of girls/boys clinging onto the MC
Lastly, it has to have a satisfying ending that fits the plot.
Jan 6, 2018 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
Every single ecchi anime in existance.
Jan 6, 2018 10:55 PM
Jul 2018
That mostly depends on a bunch of stuff, but it would improve my life if I adequately described it to you. So that's what I'm going to try to do.

-Characters:
I am of the unpopular opinion that expressiveness matters above all. It's basically my experience with a character. How they act, their personality, what sets them apart from other characters. It's all about how they express themselves. For example, Izaya is a character that has his playful personality in coded into his body language. Even when he's walking, he looks like he's having the time of his life!

Also, take notice how he walks a lot more fluently than other characters, it's a way of showing his trickster side! Of course, they are other ways of expressiveness like dialog, obviously. One of the moments that come to mind is this scene:

Slicia:"Kirito, save me, but don't look! Save me, but don't look!"

The repeat of words and how it delivers is in this ansty, and an embarrassed way is just so charming and adorable. It's also kind sets itself apart by having such a weird repeat, that would go well with her character. She's definitely isn't a 10/10 character(more like an 8), but she was an joy to watch, and surprisingly ansty delivery is rare to find in characters. It's usually just embarrassed, and nothing else, but the little extra they put in really made the character come to life! Speaking of which delivery is another way a character could be expressive. A good example of this would be Amber! Now I'm going to have to show you the song itself in order for you to get it:
Amber

Notice how she sings as if she's on Broadway("THHHE DAAYY, I turned three.."), and how she sings according to what emotion or trait she's supposed to display(i.e how she sounds delighted and nostalgic when she sings "they threw a little, darling party just for me!"). This may be my favorite way, and to be honest, I don't think I would like her character as much if Ms. Darcy wasn't playing her!

(Ending statements or if you want TL;DR place):Not saying other things aren't important, but that's the main thing to me. Development is overrated, simply changing your character doesn't make them good nor entertaining. It's a neutral thing. It can be done amazingly or just plain awful. Traits also fall short(no matter how well-made), if not accompanied by an interesting performance.
Therefore, how much enjoyment I got out of them, is how I mostly grade them. A 10/10 would be a character that I enjoyed greatly in their expressiveness!

-Story:
Unlike characters I don't really have just one thing that would make or break it. Frist, I probably should state biases I have against certain things as they would probably help the score. I widely prefer plots that feature high stakes compared to the more mundane ones. Mostly because, well, it's easier to get invested, and a plot like that has this immediate emotion behind it I just love. You see with stuff like Clannad, and K-On! you first have to go through a bunch of mediocre scenes before you are invested in the characters or the plot. Being that there isn't much going on aside from personal struggles(which requires you, to like the characters first).

I also have a preference towards the idea of drama more than other genres. As seeing characters go through more extremes, and personal conflicts is just something I gravitate towards. That being said I don't hate the others. In fact, the only genre I really dislike is comedy, because the jokes are usually on repeat with hardly anything new, the others appeal to me depending what mood I am in.

Alright, now that I got that out of the way. Now I can get to the main point. A 10/10 story would have the atmosphere as one of the main focus. It affects the experience of it quite a bit, it's my impression of the story and in extension the show itself. As it's the first thing that's apparent to me and decides how it should look, feel, and design. Speaking of which, a good atmosphere, in my opinion, is an appropriate one, and one that has an ethnic feeling to it(i.e Over the Garden Wall and Avatar the Last Airbender) is usually something interesting to watch. Another thing a 10/10 story would have is at least decent continuity it doesn't have to be crazy, but at least have it so it makes sense.

Furthermore, they would also give not only a cohesive story but a tightly paced one. One where they only spend as much time as needed to establish the unimportant things, then they could go straight to the interesting part. This makes it so every emotion hits and it doesn't feel like it's dragging on.

(Ending statements or if you want TL;DR place): Overall, A 10/10 would be a story that has a great focus on emotions more than anything else, but wouldn't stumble in other lesser things, so it could keep it and would do so better than other scores.

I might edit this part later for improved appearance.
removed-userMay 27, 2018 5:12 PM
Jan 7, 2018 3:17 AM

Jan 2014
something like devilman: crybaby that makes me cry and feel more than shitty angel beats
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jan 7, 2018 9:22 AM
Jan 2018
For me an 10/10 anime is an anime that made me enjoy it so much to say: "Just one more!" -ep. ends- "Cmon just one more, this is getting exciting!" -ep.ends- "One more!" ....
Also an 10/10 anime is something that had an impact in my life, changed my way of seeing somethings, it may not seem like it but depending of the person's love for that specific anime, it can change your life, that's what I call a Masterpiece
Jan 7, 2018 9:30 AM
Apr 2016
It depends on which genre you like, but for me my favorite anime of all time is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I know kind of mainstream and it's nothing special but the character development, the story, the Art Direction, everything about it for me it's perfect. I recommend it if you haven't watched it yet.
Jan 7, 2018 9:41 AM

May 2016
It's Madoka Magica. That's the math of it.

A not-Madoka Magica cannot get a 10/10, for it is not Madoka Magica (and as such, it equals less than one Madoka Magica unit).
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

60 by bucciest »»
39 seconds ago

Poll: » hate watching

deg - Apr 14

48 by GudBoy »»
59 seconds ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

54 by notPara »»
2 minutes ago

» Which character in your favorites is the most down bad / warped personality?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 5

22 by Kenzolo-folk »»
2 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 12 hours ago

45 by Pinoffin »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.