Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is Neon Genesis Evangelion worth watching?
Yes
81.3%
No
18.8%
48 votes
Oct 19, 2017 12:00 AM
Jul 2018
I've heard a LOT about this show. Some people consider it a masterpiece, while others think it's abysmal. It's quite possibly one of the most polarizing shows I've ever come across. Needless to say, I'd like to know your thoughts on the show so as to make an informed decision.
removed-userOct 19, 2017 4:39 AM
Oct 19, 2017 12:05 AM

Feb 2016
You already known that each person on this thread will have a different opinnion, so what's the point?...

and it's amazing, it really is
Oct 19, 2017 12:05 AM

Jan 2009
i already forgot the anime since its been decades since i have watch it but i just remember its depressing in later parts of the show, but the comedy and sexual implications are good in the first half though

but im enjoying the movie remake more (rebuild of evangelion movies)
Oct 19, 2017 12:07 AM
Jul 2018
iscum said:
You already known that each person on this thread will have a different opinnion, so what's the point?...

I'm gonna make a decision based on the poll results.
Oct 19, 2017 12:08 AM

Dec 2014
I hated the show, but I still think it's worth a watch simply because of the influence it had on anime even to this day. It truly was a medium defining work.
Oct 19, 2017 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
TheHonestThief said:
I hated the show, but I still think it's worth a watch simply because of the influence it had on anime even to this day. It truly was a medium defining work.
i still wait to see this "influence"
plz feel free to explain.

@isekai thanks
removed-userOct 19, 2017 12:19 AM
Oct 19, 2017 12:14 AM

Jan 2009
Jack_100HP said:
TheHonestThief said:

wikipedia have an answer to that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion#Influence_and_legacy
Oct 19, 2017 12:16 AM

Apr 2012
the show gave me cancer so no

i think i gave it a big fat 1 though i should give EOE a 10 bc shinji busted a huge nut in that movie (literally)

Oct 19, 2017 12:26 AM

Dec 2014
Jack_100HP said:
TheHonestThief said:

@isekai thanks

While there are of course more nuanced ways to phrase these, the watered down explanation would be:
1. Shinji as the timid beta-male protagonist rather than the brash hot-head.
2. Asuka as the tsundere heroine.
3. Rei Ayanami as the kuudere heroine.
4. Many of Anno's directorial habits.
5. Deconstruction of anime tropes. Ranging from the mecha genre as a whole to the individual character tropes it helped popularize.
6. The mind-fuck elements.
Not saying that NGE or Anno specifically invented many of these elements, but NGE succeeded at grabbing the entire anime community to such a degree that they became industry staples.

And I say all of this as one that really hates the entire show.
Oct 19, 2017 12:32 AM

Sep 2017
We have to ask the expert @Swagernator about this. I cant give insights in this show.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 19, 2017 12:35 AM

Jan 2009
Different people watch the show and find different reasons as to why they like it, there's no consensus on what is the absolute winning point it has, but if the fans' opinion is anything to go by, we have the scene planning being done in a highly professional and inventive way, so much that it is praised by film enthusiasts, the attention to detail in animation that remains a reference even by modern standards, the iconic character archetypes being introduced that set a precedent for the many that would come after them, the introspective quality of said characters over the actual content of the show, and a work which is generally resonating with melancholy and loneliness, appear to be the key aspects to explain the appeal of the show to its target audience.

I used to be a Christian, and having my share of knowledge on Christian theology and lore, I can tell the author really put some thought on the monster design, even when they admit they just used the title because it sounded mysterious, it's obvious they knew what they were doing, and it wasn't just something they came up with on the spot.

Most people would agree, no matter what they look or how they look at it, that everything in Evangelion is both carefully planned and thoughtful in its execution, nothing is out of place, or used without intelligence or artistry.
Oct 19, 2017 12:35 AM

Jan 2009
TheHonestThief said:

While there are of course more nuanced ways to phrase these, the watered down explanation would be:
1. Shinji as the timid beta-male protagonist rather than the brash hot-head.
2. Asuka as the tsundere heroine.
3. Rei Ayanami as the kuudere heroine.
4. Many of Anno's directorial habits.
5. Deconstruction of anime tropes. Ranging from the mecha genre as a whole to the individual character tropes it helped popularize.
6. The mind-fuck elements.
Not saying that NGE or Anno specifically invented many of these elements, but NGE succeeded at grabbing the entire anime community to such a degree that they became industry staples.

And I say all of this as one that really hates the entire show.

i never thought about those kind of influence other than the mind fuck elements but it makes sense now with a lot of emo main characters, tsunderes and doll type best girl characters
Oct 19, 2017 12:37 AM

Mar 2017
It's worth watching, but I only felt disappointment in the latter half of the series. All the "mind-fucks" aren't really mind-fucks. They are just poorly explained parts of the plot that seem rather complicated but aren't. The End of Evangelion does the whole "mind-fuck" better at the end though.

But yes, it did have a large influence on contemporary anime so even if I didn't enjoy it, I understand the praise, and you should watch it.
Oct 19, 2017 12:41 AM

Apr 2012
NGE is pretty good, but of course it's not for everyone.

It's a mecha show. And deep down it's a very Japanese show, culturally speaking. Not just the kaijuu thing but the relational aspects. That is enough to deter people. But despite a low budget it manages to explore interesting themes in a very movie-like way.
Oct 19, 2017 12:55 AM

Feb 2016
Judging from your favorites youre likely to enjoy it, so I'd say go for it.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 19, 2017 12:56 AM

Jul 2015
it's perfect if you like pussy mc + trash tsundere combo
Oct 19, 2017 1:31 AM

Nov 2014
My answer is same as always in topics like this:
Yes, it is. Not because it can be good, but because after watching it you will have your own opinion. Most popular anime are worth watching so you can discuss them and not follow hate/love train. NGE being big classic makes it even more so.
Oct 19, 2017 2:12 AM

Feb 2016
Jack_100HP said:
TheHonestThief said:

@isekai thanks

You see, it was the first huge anime hit that wasn't based on manga or novels and since then there has been a lot of anime originals, stuff like Cowboy Bepbop, Utena, Lain, Texhnolyze, RahXephon probably just exist the way they're because of the sucess of Evangelion. A lot of shows were influenced by it too, being on character design or how they were trying to be more than entertainment, like exploring confusing themes or adressing social commentary to it's content. You can dislike NGE all you want, but if anime isn't mainly a bunch of adaptation of 4-kids manga like it used to be it is thanks to it.
Oct 19, 2017 2:16 AM

Dec 2013
tragedydesu said:
it's perfect if you like pussy mc

Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Oct 19, 2017 2:29 AM
Oct 2013
Terkhev said:
My answer is same as always in topics like this:
Yes, it is. Not because it can be good, but because after watching it you will have your own opinion.

Close the discussion, this is pretty much the definitive answer.
Watch it to form your own opinion. I hate the show but I do see why people like it and you may be one of those.
Oct 19, 2017 2:46 AM

Mar 2017
iscum said:
You can dislike NGE all you want, but if anime isn't mainly a bunch of adaptation of 4-kids manga like it used to be it is thanks to it.

In this timeline, yes. But the thing is, even if it didn't exist, some other anime could have done the same, yes?
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 19, 2017 2:55 AM

Feb 2016
le_halfhand_easy said:
iscum said:
You can dislike NGE all you want, but if anime isn't mainly a bunch of adaptation of 4-kids manga like it used to be it is thanks to it.

In this timeline, yes. But the thing is, even if it didn't exist, some other anime could have done the same, yes?

Yup, i was just explaning why NGE is influential
Oct 19, 2017 3:05 AM
Jun 2016
it's worth watching to form your own opinion. simple.

why even ask this place? it's a fairly short series. it's not like you're investing yourself for days of anime here, you can binge watch it in a day easily.

now asking if something like LoGH or DBZ is worth watching is understandable because it's fucking huge and would take like two days at least to watch if you non-stop watched it.
'ate gundam
Oct 19, 2017 3:16 AM

Nov 2016
Op, why won't you read instead reviews that haven't spoilers ? Read those that rated the show 10 then 4~6. You'll see differents opinions and can make your own choice ; b'cause if the question is if it's "worth" watching or not, so basically it's stupid to make a poll because most people will vote yes if they liked the show or no if they don't, and so it's not about worthing or not.

Reviews are supposed to be analytical and somehow "objective", better reading them in your case.
AkumaHomuOct 19, 2017 3:19 AM
Oct 19, 2017 3:33 AM

Mar 2011
Thread has been moved to correct sub-board
Oct 19, 2017 3:35 AM

Nov 2016
It's definitely worth it.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Oct 19, 2017 3:40 AM
Jul 2018
harpseal2 said:
it's worth watching to form your own opinion. simple.

why even ask this place? it's a fairly short series. it's not like you're investing yourself for days of anime here, you can binge watch it in a day easily.

now asking if something like LoGH or DBZ is worth watching is understandable because it's fucking huge and would take like two days at least to watch if you non-stop watched it.

Instead of questioning me, you could just ignore the thread. I've got my reasons for posting this, so stop trying to speak in complete generalities. If you take a look at my PTW list, you'll realize that there's a lot of shows that I haven't watched yet. I generally spend about an hour on anime per day, and I absolutely hate leaving things half done. To top things off, I've got a bunch of shows on hold. I'm past the point where I can blindly give something a shot just cause it's got some sort of reputation. I'm particular about the shows I watch, so I made it clear in my post that I was gonna consider different opinions and the poll results to make an informed decision. If you find that absurd, just ignore the thread and move on.

This is not just directed at you, but at everyone who thinks that I shouldn't be posting something of this sort. In case you don't wanna answer to the point, just ignore the post. It's as simple as that.
removed-userOct 19, 2017 5:07 AM
Oct 19, 2017 3:47 AM
Jul 2018
AkumaHomu said:
Op, why won't you read instead reviews that haven't spoilers ? Read those that rated the show 10 then 4~6. You'll see differents opinions and can make your own choice ; b'cause if the question is if it's "worth" watching or not, so basically it's stupid to make a poll because most people will vote yes if they liked the show or no if they don't, and so it's not about worthing or not.

Reviews are supposed to be analytical and somehow "objective", better reading them in your case.

But I'm not exclusively considering the poll results. Read my previous post.

It doesn't take a literate to figure out why I mentioned the word "polarizing" in my post. I've already checked out a decent number of reviews to get an idea of the show. Some reviews were EXTREMELY positive, while others were EXTREMELY negative. That said, they don't really cater to people that come in the middle, which is why I wanted to know the opinions of people who don't exalt or disparage the show, but consider it for what it really is.
removed-userOct 19, 2017 6:30 AM
Oct 19, 2017 5:46 AM

Sep 2016
I watched and forced myself to end it tbh. The MC was weak & and quite a crybaby even worse than Re:zero's one imo, that is one thing that I really hated.. I felt like he has really no intention of saving the world or whatever, he's just a kid that do what he's told to and do not take any responsibilities.. It is understandable but not entertaining to watch tbh. The story with the mech and all didn't really feel "original" to me.. so I just got bored all along.

I would advise you to watch it though so can have your own opinion on it as it is famous and there must be a reason to it, but I personnaly think it is a boring show. You already know a bit of my taste so, you may know how ours opinion might differ
Oct 19, 2017 5:47 AM

Aug 2014
AprilEthereal said:
iscum said:

Nah don't bother tbqh
BanhCanh said:
I felt like he has really no intention of saving the world or whatever,

Because he doesn't? lol
Oct 19, 2017 6:12 AM
Jul 2018
Insertanamehere said:
AprilEthereal said:

Nah don't bother tbqh
BanhCanh said:

Because he doesn't? lol

You got me real good there lol. However, I think it's pretty obvious from my first post that I'd be taking different opinions into account. I mean, why would I ask for opinions and not consider them? That wouldn't make any sense.
Oct 19, 2017 6:13 AM

Aug 2014
AprilEthereal said:

You got me real good there lol. However, I think it's pretty obvious from my first post that I'd be taking different opinions into account. I mean, why would I ask for opinions and not consider them? That wouldn't make any sense.

If you're going off a poll to make your decisions that's pretty silly when you can find articulated opinions in reviews and discussions, theres a myriad of those both on MAL and elsewhere
Oct 19, 2017 6:24 AM
Jul 2018
Insertanamehere said:
AprilEthereal said:

If you're going off a poll to make your decisions that's pretty silly when you can find articulated opinions in reviews and discussions, theres a myriad of those both on MAL and elsewhere

Well... Based on how polarizing the series is, I was expecting a mixed reception to my poll. But you're right, I shouldn't have included it in my post. That was certainly silly of me.
Oct 19, 2017 7:16 AM

Sep 2016
Insertanamehere said:
AprilEthereal said:

Nah don't bother tbqh
BanhCanh said:

Because he doesn't? lol

He doesn't and that's what bother me, I don't like him as a character. I'm not fan of how irresponsible he can be and just go here and there and cry. As a character in an anime it is not entertaining IMO. Sorry if my english is not good enough to make it clear.
Oct 19, 2017 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
BanhCanh said:
Insertanamehere said:

Nah don't bother tbqh

Because he doesn't? lol

He doesn't and that's what bother me, I don't like him as a character. I'm not fan of how irresponsible he can be and just go here and there and cry. As a character in an anime it is not entertaining IMO. Sorry if my english is not good enough to make it clear.

Does he not do anything heroic over the course of the show?
Oct 19, 2017 7:34 AM

Sep 2016
He's the chosen one so I guess he'll but it is because he's told to and because at some point he will have no more tears to shed (not manly ones ;)) so he finally decide to do something.
Oct 19, 2017 7:37 AM

Jan 2014
The show itself had a horrible ending. The movie End of Evangelion is what you really need to watch. It's slightly overrated imo, but I do think every anime fan should get around to it eventually.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

214 by sailorneptunelvr »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

175 by bronzeagesungod »»
Yesterday, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

167 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 6, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 3, 2007

182 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 5, 9:56 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

226 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 5, 8:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.