Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people finish anime series they despised?

New
Oct 10, 2017 12:32 PM

Mar 2016
I mean I see a lot of people who give shows a one or a two and they say they completely despised it. I mean if they hated it it that much why would they sit through 12 hours of the anime (24 episode series run that long) and actually finish it instead of dropping it? Is it maybe hope that the show will actually get better and pick up? I mean I've seen some bad ova but they only last like 2-4 episodes instead of 24 or even 50.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 10, 2017 12:34 PM

Jan 2013
It's hatewatching :)
The fans can't use the "You didn't even watch it" excuse to discredit your opinion, so you can shit on the show all you want.

It can be funny to find flaws in the series too. Double as much if you watch it with another person.

@NMatt94
That's a good point too.

Jul 2017
Maybe you have to be well-versed in terrible anime to really appreciate the good stuff?

Apr 2008
Basically what is in my profile:
- Because it was short.
- Because the begin was kinda interesting, but some really bad shit happened later.
- Was hoping that could improve, but it just don't.
Oct 10, 2017 12:35 PM

Sep 2017
Did you know that completionist and critiques exist? Do you op? Lol
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 10, 2017 12:38 PM
Jul 2018
I finished the whole 12 episodes of High School DxD, because I said I would give an ecchi show a chance, and I kept my word.

People kept telling me that it was one of the top (true) ecchi shows, so that's why I picked it. It was between that one and Highschool of the Dead.

Looking back, I think I should've gone for the one with zombies...
Oct 10, 2017 12:41 PM

Jul 2015
For the lolz
Also to give it 1/10 hehe

Feb 2015
Anime watching is a competition for many people... They just wanna keep adding more anime to their list... And then brag about their superior taste... Even though it's pretty degrading...

Apr 2016
Because i wanted to see how bad Re: Zero is to the end.
Oct 10, 2017 12:42 PM

Feb 2013
To increase the number of anime I've completed, nothing more.
We completionists are masochists.
Oct 10, 2017 12:44 PM

Aug 2016
I do that because i'm a completionest and also I'm just hoping maybe somehow it will get better eventually, because it's happened sometimes in the past

Oct 10, 2017 1:04 PM

May 2012

I only drop the boring and meh animes.

Bad animes can be quite entertaining, in a weird way.

Men Are From Mars, 
Women Are From Venus 
and Gays Are From Uranus

Oct 10, 2017 1:08 PM

Mar 2014
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
I finished the whole 12 episodes of High School DxD, because I said I would give an ecchi show a chance, and I kept my word.

People kept telling me that it was one of the top (true) ecchi shows, so that's why I picked it. It was between that one and Highschool of the Dead.

Looking back, I think I should've gone for the one with zombies...

Dont worry, you didnt miss much from HOTD. It was also trash.
Oct 10, 2017 1:12 PM

May 2015
This question again? Well here's this post again:

Oct 10, 2017 1:13 PM

Jun 2013
NMatt94 said:
Maybe you have to be well-versed in terrible anime to really appreciate the good stuff?
This might be the best answer i've seen on this website.
Oct 10, 2017 1:13 PM

Feb 2016
Using my most recent example;

I was watching Classroom of the Elite and thinking "nah this can't get any worse"
but it got
1/10

explained
Oct 10, 2017 1:16 PM

Jul 2016
plenty of reasons, they might see something, or may have heard that the show gets better. They can't dislike it because they have convinced themselves they like it because they just want to like this show, more common than you think or they just like watching bad shows.

People just gotta understand getting your feelings out on a piece of art doesn't happen overnight. It's a problem with all MAL users. Just sit down and think about why you like a piece of art.

Helps you appreciate it more
Oct 10, 2017 1:16 PM

Sep 2017
To add to the list, if someone's recommended it and keeps saying it gets better (It rarely does) and it's always more fun discussing anime's you hated rather than anime's you liked (for me anyway).

Was aus Liebe getan wird, geschieht immer jenseits von Gut und Böse. (What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil.)
Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 10, 2017 1:19 PM

Sep 2016
Just so I can discuss about it, at least that's what I do
Oct 10, 2017 1:20 PM

Sep 2017
To be fair I couldn't finish mirai nikki, fucking hated it, made me rage..

Was aus Liebe getan wird, geschieht immer jenseits von Gut und Böse. (What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil.)
Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 10, 2017 1:25 PM

Jan 2014
It gives the show a fair rating. It gets what it deserves.

Just dropping a show and rating it on that, is potentially not as deserving, and should be reserved for only the worst of shows one cannot bear to watch.

And considering most people will probably not watch bad anime to begin with, and only watch the better stuff, its no wonder why average ratings are higher. There are likely fewer people who would enjoy a lower rated anime and rate it higher.
Oct 10, 2017 1:25 PM

Mar 2017
Well some series you just let slide (Shoukoku no Altair) and never pick up again. Some series (The King's Avatar) just rubs you the wrong way and took a long, watery dump on something you love that you cannot help but be fascinated as to how much more can you take. Besides, you do want to give it a review that it truly merited because you know damn well nobody else would give it justice.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 10, 2017 1:26 PM

Jul 2016
Watching terrible anime can be quite rewarding and sometimes entertaining just how terribly it fails. And I keep watching bad anime till the end hoping that one day I will find something worse than Pupa. That won't happen tho.
Sometimes I even watch anime with the single motivation being its terrible reputation alone.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Oct 10, 2017 1:30 PM

Jan 2014
INU4SH4 said:
Watching terrible anime can be quite rewarding and sometimes entertaining just how terribly it fails. And I keep watching bad anime till the end hoping that one day I will find something worse than Pupa. That won't happen tho.
Sometimes I even watch anime with the single motivation being its terrible reputation alone.

Currently watching Renai Bouken (Love Tyrant)... critically its bad, but so purposely, ridiculously bad that's it can still be entertaining for 24 minutes.
Oct 10, 2017 1:36 PM

Mar 2017
Yes. I hope it gets better. I already usually spent a lot of time watching some of it so it seems dumb to just drop it then. Other times people don't like certain things near the end that ruin the show for them.
Oct 10, 2017 1:43 PM

Jul 2016
@Seravander
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check on that whenever I have a masochist vibe and see for myself if it is that bad.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Oct 10, 2017 4:13 PM

Feb 2015
I think they enjoy the ranting part more than the anime itself.
Oct 10, 2017 4:15 PM

Sep 2014
They're Tsunderes. they don't actually hate the show, they're just too shy to admit it. Either that or heavy Masochists.
Oct 10, 2017 4:16 PM

Jul 2016
Usually shows I hate have the perk of not being boring. I mostly drop shows that aren't necessarily terrible, but put me to sleep. Except Ranma 1/2. No way I'm watching 161 episodes of two violent tsunderes trying to get along.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2017 4:17 PM

Feb 2016
People dont value their time that much is all. There might be also a ton of other reasons.

retarded question btw

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 10, 2017 4:32 PM

Nov 2014
When you think the early episodes were interesting and when you start reaching the end you began disliking it and even though you hated it so much you also realize that it would be stupid to drop it when you're also about to finish it anyway.
Oct 10, 2017 4:36 PM

Mar 2016
They're struck with a severe affliction of completionism. Poor souls. I can only imagine the horror of having to sit through really trash anime for the sake of completing it.
Oct 10, 2017 4:39 PM

Jun 2016
well some series have an awful start and they get better down road and like some people have said you just hope it gets better also my completetionist in me wont allow me to drop lol (most of the time)
Oct 10, 2017 4:43 PM
Jul 2016
Personally, if I dislike it and keep watching it. Its to find out how it can be a good anime and try to like it, since I appreciate and love anime. But if an anime is so bad that 'I' have to drop it, then that's just sad. I try to not drop my animes.
"People who don't work hard don't have the right to be envious of the people with talent. People fail because they don't understand the hard work necessary to be successful."
-Yukino Yukinoshitta
Oct 10, 2017 4:44 PM

Mar 2016
Because some people watch anime for research purposes
Oct 10, 2017 4:49 PM
Feb 2014
Usually a combination of:
It sounded/looked interesting in the beginning, it was highly rated and aclaimed by people, feeling guilty for not completeing it after watching so many episodes already and/or hopeing it get's better and redeems itself(very rarely does this happen, a good example of an anime that started out pretty boring and got amazing later on is Steins;Gate) Yeah, i have forced myself to finish anime i didn't really enjoy, it's especially bad when they are longer than 2 cours. :/

However most anime i didn't like i gave a 5-6, i usually don't give below this rating unless i think the anime was just downright awful.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Oct 10, 2017 4:57 PM

Aug 2017
Because they hate themselves hope the show will redeem itself in the end.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2017 5:01 PM

Jul 2017
It is very funny to me as in most of the time they are not even the target audience to begin with.
Oct 10, 2017 5:17 PM
Feb 2017
Either they have lots of free time
Or they got no life. There's no in between.
Oct 10, 2017 5:24 PM

Sep 2015
to get some sweet insight baby!

also helps me better appreciate the ones i really like.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Oct 10, 2017 5:31 PM

Nov 2015
Think of it this way.

Your in a bar, you're having fun with colleagues. Everyone's talkative. It's all great. So it seemed at least.

Eventually you get offered a drink by your boss who also happens to be at the same bar as you. He offers you a scotch. You say yes, because he's so nice.

Then you proceed to drink it and...

It tastes like horsepiss, perhaps even worse. Upon drinking it your stommach turns in a heatbeat. You feel sick, really really sick. You sit there thinking "How can anything taste to freaking bad"

As you look back at your boss you can see he's smiling at you. He proceeds to say "Did you like it? :)"

You don't want to dissapoint your boss so you lie. You lie so much that the birds starts singing. You say "It tastes great boss" even though you know it's shit.

You then proceed to finish the drink, and act like you need to take a piss when you really just gonna throw up that disgusting drink in the bathroom instead.

That's how humans work sometimes. Anime is not different.

TLDR: Sometimes you just need to finish your shitty anime even if it tastes/feels like crap.
Oct 10, 2017 5:36 PM

Oct 2017
Maybe it makes peopple feel good because they think they can do something better than the really bad shows, like isekai wa smartphone haha
Oct 10, 2017 5:44 PM

May 2016
Because quitting is for losers and incels.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 10, 2017 5:48 PM

Jul 2015
Tarotist said:
This question again? Well here's this post again:

This picture is 100% correct.

If you are checking an anime that already aired, you can check MAL score, look for reviews and somehow dodge the bullet.

If you are watching seasonals, the trainwreck might only appear near the end, but you keep fooling yourself that Anime God will help us somehow. 99% of the time the miracle never comes.

Oct 10, 2017 5:50 PM

Feb 2015
Because hating on something is fun too.
Oct 10, 2017 11:09 PM
Jul 2017
The same reason you finish a movie that it is really bad in the MOVIE theater. Because you put a lot of effort and time to watch it and you don't want to feel you lost your time. Also because some shows are shit at first but then they become very good.
Oct 10, 2017 11:17 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe at the beginning it was good, but the ending was shit
Oct 10, 2017 11:17 PM

Jul 2014
CondemneDio said:
It's hatewatching :)
The fans can't use the "You didn't even watch it" excuse to discredit your opinion, so you can shit on the show all you want.

It can be funny to find flaws in the series too. Double as much if you watch it with another person.
NMatt94 said:

EXACTLY these two for me. I might also just watch a bad anime if I think it might have the potential to become better.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Oct 10, 2017 11:20 PM

May 2016
They want another entry on their Completed list or they have a "no drop" rule. I can't think of another reason. Honestly, I can't imagine sticking with something that I think (or know) is going to end terribly.
Oct 10, 2017 11:37 PM

Nov 2014
Watching the average and bad stuff is what gets you to appreciate how well-done the good stuff are. Watching the boring anime is what gets you to be happy when an entertaining anime does its job right.

On the other hand, have you always heard people say "It gets better at episode xxx"? Yeah, you'll always hear such nonsense. I don't think its appropriate to speak about anime I haven't finished, so sometimes I finish watching certain anime for discussion value.

Admittedly though, I think "despise" is a strong word and I rarely have that strong feelings towards an anime that just isn't to my liking. Most of the time I just move on and watch more anime in hopes of finding a good one.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

49 by B0rt_ »»
41 seconds ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

8 by cody »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
17 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
28 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.