Forum Settings
Forums

Why are so many anime fans so obsessed with romance?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 4, 2017 8:39 PM

Nov 2008
NanoRin said:
Probably has a lot to do with projecting desires/self-insert.

Honestly, I don't think it does. A lot of my favorite ships have problematic characters (normally the male character has too much emotional baggage or trauma or social anxiety) and I think to myself "If I was in the girl's position, I'd probably lose my patience with him!"

Lol. Shoujo heroines seem to have a bottomless supply of compassion and sympathy. They're practically saints. Same goes for male MCs in romantic shounen series when dealing with an insecure female character.

Oct 5, 2017 2:09 AM

May 2015
ninja666 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I've never seen this obsession here. Where do you see it? Is it unique to anime fans compared to cinema buffs? Romance is a big deal in the lives of a human, remember that.

I see it mostly on reddit and various anime streaming sites. On reddit's anime suggestion board you constantly see requests for anime with action, OP main characters etc. etc. with romance. I think I've seen every possible genre/theme combo paired with the requirement of having a romantic subplot in it. As for the streaming sites, in the comments for many popular anime every time you can see at least one person asking about whether or not the series has romance.

People like romance for the reasons I said above. It's normal. I doubt it's unique among us.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 5, 2017 2:36 PM
Sep 2011
I like Romance but I don't like to see it in every anime and I hate when people turn every anime that has nothing to do with Romance into shipping wars.
Naruto is an example
Oct 5, 2017 2:52 PM

Aug 2017
i can't stand romance so i simply don't watch any that has it. i guess it's okay if it really isn't 'canon', but if it's obvious that they're dating.. no
Oct 6, 2017 12:00 AM

Nov 2009
ninja666 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I've never seen this obsession here. Where do you see it? Is it unique to anime fans compared to cinema buffs? Romance is a big deal in the lives of a human, remember that.

I see it mostly on reddit and various anime streaming sites. On reddit's anime suggestion board you constantly see requests for anime with action, OP main characters etc. etc. with romance. I think I've seen every possible genre/theme combo paired with the requirement of having a romantic subplot in it. As for the streaming sites, in the comments for many popular anime every time you can see at least one person asking about whether or not the series has romance.

1) When it comes to OP main characters with romance, it's simple. No wish fulfillment is complete without a satisfactory romance.
2) Because the "romance" tag on sites like MAL is useless, and assigned even to rom-coms with very unsatisfactory romances. For example, on the first page (sorted by members) of "romance" tag there are Oregairu, Mahouka, Accel World, InuYasha, Berserk and Henneko.
Jul 25, 2020 12:39 PM

Sep 2018
I would say it is more so about the series have a endgoal rather than just being episodic. Besides that it can be a great genre when done right. I do not believe it should be in every series though.
Jul 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Oct 2017
I don't mind romance series too much.
What I do mind is people tend to overrate them , especially in shorter film like 2 hrs movies.
Those love stories are mostly shallow, which mostly involves love on first sight , and there's not enough screen time to justify their relationship and affection toward each other.

The best example I can think of is Your Name, one of the most overrated shows on Mal.
The movie itself is a nice watch, but the romance part is grossly overrated. They only met in person once and they acted like they can't live without each other.

Many anime suffers shallow romance simply cuz not enough screen time to flashout the "romance part", or to justify their relationship and feeling.

Heck, show like Digimon Universe App Monster has better romance (also a gay romance too!) than most of the 2 hrs romance movies. (Be it anime or Hollywood) because they give much better backstory, screentime, chemistry, to demonstrate actual affection between the couple.
Jul 25, 2020 2:05 PM

Jan 2008
I guess I'm a Fujoshi as I do ship a lot of male characters with each other. But only for fun. However I find the romance genre isn't to my taste. It's often comedy or light hearted. Has funny or quirky or cheeky or cutesy female characters that I normally don't like and it's just too nice. I like a good dose of dark angst with my romance.
Jul 25, 2020 2:17 PM

Jun 2015
why are so many anime fans so obsessed with action?

Jul 25, 2020 2:23 PM
Jun 2020
I like to watch things that I will never experience.
Jul 25, 2020 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
People who love romance anime are either females or the type of guy who would spend money on Onlyfans and cam sites.

A normal guy doesn’t give a fuck about a romance show. He will be romantic irl with his girl or on a date. Or he might even be past that whole romance phase and will just ‘treat em mean, keep em keen’.

Romance anime fucking sucks anyway.
Jul 25, 2020 4:48 PM

Dec 2019
I dont have any clue. But i agree with you that a lot of peole really like romance (myself included)
Jul 25, 2020 4:52 PM

Jul 2020
ninja666 said:
There's this weird pattern I've noticed with anime fans. It seems many of them have this weird fixation on romance. They seek it everywhere and for them it often appears to be a deciding factor in deciding whether or not give a series a go. On many anime-related sites I go to, I keep seeing threads (or comments if it's an anime streaming website) asking whether or not a series has a satisfying romantic subplot, or even if it does have one at all. You can see at least one person asking that sort of question about any anime, from typical high school rom-coms to gritty, hyperviolent action shows. It's almost as if they don't watch those shows for anything other than the romance.

Why is it like that? Why do so many anime fans have this bizarre obsession with wanting to see romantic relationships bloom in everything they watch, even in the unlikeliest of places? I hope someone can answer that because it's something that's been puzzling me for quite some time now.

You could ask this question about literally any genre or troup. People have different preferences and this isn't even remotely exclusive to anime.
Jul 25, 2020 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
wape said:

That is why I watch tentacle hentai.
Jul 25, 2020 5:23 PM
Jun 2020
IbarakiDouji said:
wape said:

As long you don't go to an aquarium you should be fine.

I pray that you don't get raped
Jul 25, 2020 5:25 PM
Jul 2018
wape said:
IbarakiDouji said:

You do not know shit about me, wape..
Jul 25, 2020 5:38 PM

Feb 2010
why are so many people obsessed with romance? idk maybe because it's a big part of human life?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 25, 2020 5:50 PM
Jun 2020
IbarakiDouji said:
wape said:

You do not know shit about me, wape..
Wait, are we sure that fish isn't a trap? Cause traps ain't gay. Science has proven that already.
Jul 25, 2020 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
@wape
‘Trap fish, huh?’ Sounds good to me!

Trap fish, yo. Motherfucking trap fish.
Jul 25, 2020 5:58 PM

Jun 2010
Escapism for losers with no girlfriends lmao
Jul 25, 2020 6:05 PM
Jun 2020
IbarakiDouji said:
@wape

"The fish that I captured killed me and now I became a trap fish" will be the next Isekai.

Mark my words.
Jul 27, 2020 6:22 AM

Jan 2017
Why did someone necro this three year old topic?
Jul 27, 2020 6:33 AM

Apr 2016
AngryAkko said:
People who love romance anime are either females or the type of guy who would spend money on Onlyfans and cam sites.

Nah fam, romance gives me those feel good vibes

Jul 28, 2020 5:52 PM
Jul 2018
wape said:
IbarakiDouji said:
@wape

"The fish that I captured killed me and now I became a trap fish" will be the next Isekai.

Mark my words.

shutupandtakemymoney.png Rly,doe, this is an isekai I'd watch.
Jul 28, 2020 6:00 PM

Aug 2009
I posted already, but fuck it.

Well, the main two shows that come to mind when thinking about the romance genre are Elfen Lied and School Days, so I just appreciate a good yandere train wreck.

After all, you can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter".

Jul 28, 2020 6:00 PM

Sep 2018
Seems like an odd question to point directly at anime fans as about every fandom I've been around has a sector that is obsessed with romance, and I would also argue that not the entirety of the anime community is obsessed with it, just a certain segment of it, like every other fandom.
Jul 28, 2020 6:41 PM

Oct 2017
FacelessVixen said:

Well, the main two shows that come to mind when thinking about the romance genre are Elfen Lied and School Days, so I just appreciate a good yandere train wreck.

You need to go play Laughter Land XD
It showcase that concept flawlessly :P
Jul 28, 2020 7:12 PM

Aug 2009
Ventus_S said:
FacelessVixen said:

You need to go play Laughter Land XD
It showcase that concept flawlessly :P

*Google searches*

♪ 'But if I were gay, I would give you my heart! ♫

♫ And if I were gay, you'd be my work of art! ♪

♫ And if I were gay, I'd let you take my hand! ♫

♪ But I'm not gay, so will not play Laughter Land. ♪

Jul 28, 2020 8:27 PM

Dec 2012
Romance is great and I do enjoy romance series, romantic comedies/dramas and a good romance side plot between two characters but, no, it's not a requirement that everything I watch needs. It's just one thing on a long list that I like which can improve my enjoyment of a story.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 28, 2020 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
I have this fixation ever since I began watching anime, as romance and shonen were my two main drives into the medium, even back when I was 7...
Jul 30, 2020 10:24 AM

Feb 2020
Because they can imagine them self in that situation without doing it on real live... True or not lol
Jul 30, 2020 3:06 PM

Feb 2019
It's just about preference, if someone likes the genre romance of they would go towards it. Maybe just a bigger percentage of anime fans like the romance genre?
Aug 29, 2022 4:44 AM
Aug 2022
I'm not really sure but it gets old real fast. I've noticed lots of the anime I've watched copy parts of storylines from other anime and that gets old too. I'm someone who enjoys slice-of-life anime so it's extra hard for me to find an anime that doesn't get too lovey-dovey. I actually don't mind if there are romantic relationships in the stories but I just don't like it when that's the main component of the story. I like it when anime strays away from the usual romance fantasy crap we get in most anime. I prefer Slice-of-life anime that allows viewers to relate to other aspects of life with the characters and plot. There's more to life than romance and I just feel like anime doesn't do a very good job at diversifying its stories to reflect that. I'd be fine watching an anime that doesn't involve any love interests. Unfortunately, hentai-looking easy women are all the craze in anime and it doesn't look like that cultural trend will stop anytime soon. Many people love arguing that the point of entertainment is escapism so they'll naturally say things like: "The real world is already hard so why would you wanna see that on screen as well?" or "I wanna watch a fantasy". But these types of viewers of entertainment fail to realize that there's another group of audience who enjoys relatability more than fantasy. And to say the anime I enjoy is the same as the real world is silly too despite how brutally realistic some anime can be. More often than not I'm quite satisfied if the anime plot has even just a few similarities to my experiences in life and I'm not only referring to life events but personal thoughts and emotions.

My issue with romance anime is that it often feels like some delusional pervert wrote the story and that obviously bores me as I've just explained. Nudity/sex/sexual innuendos/relationships aren't an issue for me in anime but it becomes an issue for me when the story falls back on those cheap attention-getters too much. Oh and I prefer the comedy to be minimal too.
Aug 29, 2022 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
Because humanity writes and consumes stories about love since we developed languages. It's not like people liking lovestories, romances and erotic is anything new since it's a big part of people's lives too.
Even if you are more asexual, you still enjoy and get it from a more platonic point of view. I'm quite demisexual and can enjoy good romances and erotic.

That being said ... a lot of anime romances isn't good. I'm a big shipper yes, but a lot of actual romances are delusional or just boring. Either in a very saccharine way and / or in a too pubertal way.
There is also a huge lack of adults, and more mature teenagers, in romances.
Aug 29, 2022 8:07 AM

Aug 2022
I guess it has to do with the fact that a lot of anime fans like shipping characters together. I've never really been a fan of shipping culture personally. If I want romance, I might as well go find an anime with romance as its genre.
Aug 29, 2022 8:07 AM
Aug 2021
romance is best genre along with slice of life.
Sep 6, 2022 5:30 AM

Aug 2020
Because I'm a miserable existence who wants a girlfriend, but is not satisfied with the state of society, so I'm projecting myself into the stories I watch to feel that love and fulfillment without the need for real life obligations and hardships. It also has to do with the watcher being an empathic person thus experiencing second hand happiness.
Sep 6, 2022 5:50 AM

May 2019
It's not just anime. People are obsessed with all types of romance in entertainment.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

53 by Kenzolo-folk »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » hate watching

deg - Apr 14

47 by Ricchan__ »»
2 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 12 hours ago

45 by Pinoffin »»
6 minutes ago

» Which character in your favorites is the most down bad / warped personality?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 5

22 by bucciest »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

24 by bucciest »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.