Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 26, 2017 7:41 PM

Oct 2014
Not as in Romance animes or animes where romance is needed to drive the plot forward. Romance animes are a completely different topic.

I'm talking about animes (fantasy, action, horror etc..) where romance is included but has no effect on the main story (not a specific anime, just anime in general). Or animes where the main story would do well without romance included.

Do you think it is just a distraction? Are you actually ok with it? Do you mind it with/ without fanservice? Do you think it helps with character development or makes the character(s) feel more realistic? Do you think romance, where it is not needed, is actually necessary?

What is your opinion on this?
icecream_iscreamSep 26, 2017 7:47 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 26, 2017 7:44 PM

Sep 2014
It would help if you had examples cause I can't think of an anime where there was romance and it was unnecessary.
Sep 26, 2017 7:46 PM
Aug 2015
You mean like Jon Snow fucked Daenerys at the end of the season 7 finale even though they literally have 0 chemistry? Then yes.
Sep 26, 2017 7:54 PM

Dec 2015
At the very least, it shows that the characters "live their life". Even when it's simply mentioned while never being illustrated.
Sep 26, 2017 7:54 PM

Sep 2011
Elegade said:
It would help if you had examples cause I can't think of an anime where there was romance and it was unnecessary.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking what you're talking about as well. I think in general romance can definitely help a viewer feel more of a connection with the show even if it's main focus isn't romance. It makes it a bit more believable and the characters more relatable

imo

:o

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Sep 26, 2017 8:02 PM

Jul 2016
Necessary? No

If a proper romance hasn't been built up in the story, throwing one in there randomly is stupid. It CAN work as part of a larger story that isn't primarily a romance, but the author has to think that shit through beforehand so that it ends up legit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2017 8:03 PM

Mar 2011
Depends on how the romance is done. But normally no it rarely detracts from the shows quality to me.
Sep 26, 2017 8:04 PM
Sep 2017
I just think it shows how the characters are human (๑╹ω╹๑ ). Romance can also be a filler if the writers don't know what to write. If it's an action anime it can add to the drama and if it's a fantasy anime it can make the plot more interesting. Personally I don't prefer fan service, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .... we can all tolorate a little every once in a while ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 26, 2017 8:06 PM

Nov 2014
Necessary? Of course not. In fact I find a lot of fantasy/action authors suck at writing a romance, but still do anyway which just soaks up screen time for something that is bad anyway.

However, it probably is an attempt to get more people hooked to the series or some people to be hooked to the series for multiple reasons. Teasing a romance once in a while, get more people on board, carry on most of the fantasy/action as per normal and end it with them getting together. Gives them a shot for a more diverse fanbase and mainstream popularity, but makes it worse for people who want to watch the show for reasons other than the (often badly written) romance.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 26, 2017 8:37 PM
Oct 2016
I'd argue it Is best in shows where it isn't particularly central to the plot. When a show is driven by a romance-centric plot, it tends to throw needless and frustrating drama into the relationship. That's not to say I don't ever enjoy a romance anime now and then, but I think it is better used to support a show and add an additional dimension to it
Sep 26, 2017 8:54 PM

Dec 2016
Elegade said:

In FMAB the romance was unnecessary. No need of it at all. You can remove it and you do no harm to the show.
Sep 26, 2017 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
Necessary, no. But if handled well it could enhance the show pretty well. Tbh, considering how romance is handled in most romance-focused anime I saw I actually prefer it mixed with other genres.

neonshock said:
Elegade said:

In FMAB the romance was unnecessary. No need of it at all. You can remove it and you do no harm to the show.
There was romance in FMAB?
Sep 26, 2017 9:40 PM

Jul 2017
No, but normally people will expect some.
Sep 26, 2017 9:41 PM

Jul 2015
icecream_iscream said:
I'm talking about animes (fantasy, action, horror etc..) where romance is included but has no effect on the main story (not a specific anime, just anime in general). Or animes where the main story would do well without romance included.
Lol you've basically just answered your own question, OP. It's as you say, if it has not effect on the main story, or if the main plot is already successful without any romance, then no, it is not necessary.. it doesn't get any simpler than that.

As for my guilty pleasure, yes, I love romance and regardless of whether or not it is done properly, I will still enjoy it, to some extent (of course, preferably if it is done correctly, as in not forced and what not). I like seeing couples form, and I like seeing romance blossom and flourish. And you can judge me all you want on this bc i like what i like.

Darek said:
There was romance in FMAB?

caught in the wonder
Sep 26, 2017 9:43 PM

Apr 2017
do whatchu want to do, there aint no rules or nothin
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Sep 26, 2017 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
Gem said:
Sep 26, 2017 9:58 PM
Jan 2015
I mean if it adds positives to the series itself, I'm all for it.
My Queens

Sep 26, 2017 10:07 PM
Jul 2018
I do not think romance is necessary for a show to be good; my problem is most anime do not know what romance is. To elaborate, romance is when the couple is already in a relationship and we both characters go through the good and bad of a relationship. As for most anime, they are mostly flirting and having high jinks with one another. Then at the end of the show the characters form a relationship but the series is already over. Overall, I have no problem for romance in a show it just have to fit with the show and be an actual romance.
Sep 26, 2017 10:33 PM

Mar 2016
Actually not necessary but sometimes romance can make the show better if used properly
Sep 26, 2017 10:34 PM

Sep 2009
It's too often "unnecessarily tacked on." So no, but it does help viewership in most cases (because people have shit taste).
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 26, 2017 10:39 PM

Jul 2013
It's not always necessary, but romance can certainly add to series, if it's done correctly.

For example, romance may not have been needed in Beck, but it was done well.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Sep 26, 2017 10:40 PM

Oct 2014
I personally like romance and I appreciate it when they have good romance in the show even if it doesn't require it. When anime have single gender casts I also expect the romance to be gay, which it usually is (very surprised Aikatsu Stars actually has some hetero romance, although it doesn't show it too frequently).
Sep 26, 2017 10:47 PM

Apr 2017
>Scribbling your thoughts by being a fag onto some petty mellow show filled with graffiti crap

Pathetic

-HippySnob-Sep 26, 2017 11:04 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 26, 2017 11:31 PM

Nov 2009
Romance is unnecessary, from where I stand. I came to that conclusion after romance ruined so many series that were promising to be really decent. Of course, there are shows where romance is a very nice and enriching bonus, but reality is the number of shows crippled or ruined by forced and crappy romances is incomparably greater than the number of those where it was done right, benefiting the plot instead of derailing it.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Sep 26, 2017 11:45 PM

Jan 2014
Darek said:
Gem said:

The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Sep 27, 2017 1:34 AM

Sep 2017
10 years ago romance is the thing but now Ive barely seen any romance at all. Nope I dont count recent so called romance where the mc doesnt give it a conclusion. I just stopped caring since no anime studos nowadays uses romance as a main genre aside from trash ecchi or isekais.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 27, 2017 1:37 AM

Jul 2014
well, most people experience romantic attraction, most anime are about people, and most people want realistic people in their cartoons

Jul 2015
i like some good romance as a subplot
but no , romance is not necessary
you can have a great story without any romance

Apr 2016
It is OP, many great things can be as good without romance.

But that was once now its just trash all.

nymi said:
10 years ago romance is the thing but now Ive barely seen any romance at all. Nope I dont count recent so called romance where the mc doesnt give it a conclusion. I just stopped caring since no anime studos nowadays uses romance as a main genre aside from trash ecchi or isekais.

The romance in today's meaning in Nippon means "throw as many hot chicks at retarded male MC as possible" and lets call it a romance.
Sep 27, 2017 1:41 AM

Sep 2017
Swagernator said:

nymi said:

The romance in today's meaning in Nippon means "throw as many hot chicks at retarded male MC as possible" and lets call it a romance.

Yup basically romance turned to harem genre. That is the evolution of romance. I miss the times when we have some quality romance like toradora, clannad, kanon, ef just to name a few. Oh well, I got trash to finish later im just gonna shitpost for now. Lol
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 27, 2017 1:42 AM

Aug 2017
No. It more optional rather than necessary.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 27, 2017 1:45 AM
Jul 2018
Romances and romantic tensions as a side-story are my absolute favorite thing, especially in fantasy, while shit is going on. X3 I mean, I'm so weak for that, I can't get enough of these story lines. XD

The problem with many SOL-romances, where the romance is the main plot, are imo that some authors come up with forced drama to fill the 12-24 episodes, because they actually have not enough (or they don't have any lol) plot for so many chapters or episides.
Then they come up with the "bitch, who is prettier and more popular than me AND bullied me, tries to steal my boy"-drama for a few episodes for example. I absolutely hate that cliche with passion. XD I liked Orange, but it was also guilty of it.
Sep 27, 2017 2:21 AM

Apr 2017
nymi said:
Swagernator said:

Yup basically romance turned to harem genre. That is the evolution of romance. I miss the times when we have some quality romance like toradora, clannad, kanon, ef just to name a few. Oh well, I got trash to finish later im just gonna shitpost for now. Lol

Couple of years ago we got Your Lie in April. And while it's not everybody's cup of tea, I personally liked it, there was Plastic Memories as well. I think you guys are just focusing on the harems and ignoring what does come out as romance
Sep 27, 2017 2:23 AM
Jul 2018
>E D G Y

Oh you meant this one... -_-..
Sep 27, 2017 2:25 AM

Aug 2015
neonshock said:
Elegade said:

The romance there was essential in providing a better ending for the show. It just goes to show that Ed is still a winner at the end of the day by being re-united with Al and by marrying the girl he's always had a crush on.

His liking towards Winry was totally justified as she ended up being a sister figure to him during his childhood years.
Sep 27, 2017 2:52 AM

Jan 2009
its like icing on the cake that its a bonus/extra content
Sep 27, 2017 2:58 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
oh look, an ecchi/fanservice thread in disguise

yes... because if the creators want it there and theres ppl that like it, it should be there
Sep 27, 2017 3:28 AM

Jul 2013
CG said:
Romance is unnecessary, from where I stand. I came to that conclusion after romance ruined so many series that were promising to be really decent. Of course, there are shows where romance is a very nice and enriching bonus, but reality is the number of shows crippled or ruined by forced and crappy romances is incomparably greater than the number of those where it was done right, benefiting the plot instead of derailing it.

I think the possible pros that comes from adding romance to a series outweighs the cons, i'm talking bringing in potential viewers with a genre as widespread as romance. Now that I think about it, I can't really think of many series completely ruined with a bad romance, at most, I see unneeded romance side plots, but it's not like I've seen everything anime has to offer.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Sep 27, 2017 3:32 AM

Jun 2017
It's good for an anime having a romance but not too much like the anime is focused on romance.
I need a GF T^T
Sep 27, 2017 3:59 AM

Feb 2013
yes.. it's the perfect excuse to bring cute girls on screen
Sep 27, 2017 4:23 AM

Dec 2012
I can't think of any instances where the romance sub-plot wasn't beneficial. I mean sometimes it's the only good thing about a show that keeps me watching it. Other than when it was badly executed this is, but that's a separate issue.
KruszerSep 27, 2017 4:27 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 27, 2017 5:02 AM

Aug 2015
It's not necessary, but I like shipping characters XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Sep 27, 2017 5:28 AM

Apr 2017
Is romance necessary? No

Do people like anime with a little of romance? Yes

Sep 27, 2017 5:34 AM
Jun 2017
I agree that you should've added some examples but by what I've gotten, I'd say it's not "necessary" but it's appreciated.

Shipping characters is fun. Especially when the MC deserves (I can't think of another word) a relationship.
Sep 27, 2017 5:44 AM

Nov 2015
If it's shoehorned in without any sort of prior build up (like it tends to be a lot of the time) then no
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Sep 27, 2017 6:01 AM

Nov 2016
No it's not it's just some dumb thing everyone tries to fit in. It make sense that a character could experience and develop romance but it's not necessary. Especially in movies in the west when there's that forced sex scene in the middle that feels awkward af.
Sep 27, 2017 6:24 AM

Feb 2017
On_the_Lam said:
You mean like Jon Snow fucked Daenerys at the end of the season 7 finale even though they literally have 0 chemistry? Then yes.
Danny belongs to Jorah or Dario lol Jon Snow knows nothing on how to please a woman. Ros and Ygritte are proof XDXD
Sep 27, 2017 6:30 AM

Apr 2016
This post made me think of SAO; definitely was not necessary to have the romance aspect in that series.
Sep 27, 2017 8:23 AM

Feb 2015
Sep 27, 2017 8:35 AM

Jul 2017
Romance is human nature. Without it some anime arent quite as realistic.

Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 46 minutes ago

8 by deg »»
5 seconds ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 3 minutes ago

0 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 2 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

53 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

5 by animegamer245 »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.