Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
UQ Holder
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 16, 2017 2:44 PM
Jun 2016
if I want to watch the other stuff to get ready for this, what order should I watch them in?
Sep 16, 2017 6:50 PM
Mar 2016
You have to read the manga of negima to completely get this .its not really needed but if you like getting everything do it.
Sep 16, 2017 8:53 PM

Apr 2015
If you want to be fully caught up, read the manga, Negima!? Magister Negi Magi. If you just want the outline of the backstory, watch the anime, though like 80% of the manga's story is left out.
Sep 16, 2017 8:55 PM

Jan 2014
You don't have to read Negima to watch UQ Holder. I mean there's some stuff you will miss, but you'll be fine
Sep 16, 2017 9:13 PM
Jun 2016
Magister_Jakene said:
If you want to be fully caught up, read the manga, Negima!? Magister Negi Magi. If you just want the outline of the backstory, watch the anime, though like 80% of the manga's story is left out.

if I do read where should I read up to?
Sep 16, 2017 11:06 PM

Apr 2015
wolfwing said:
Magister_Jakene said:

Well, it is a relatively long manga, since there is a lot of story and character building in it. It took me nearly 2 years to finish it. I'd recommend just reading a summary or something if you really don't feel like putting time into it, but I do highly recommend you pick up the whole series.
Sep 17, 2017 6:55 AM

Jan 2008
wolfwing said:
Magister_Jakene said:

The entire thing.
Sep 19, 2017 11:28 AM
Sep 2017
DoctorWasabi said:
You don't have to read Negima to watch UQ Holder. I mean there's some stuff you will miss, but you'll be fine

Wrong, as of the last few chapters of the manga. you literally HAVE to read Negima to understand the story, which means you'll most likely have to in order to understand this at some point.

But that's okay. Negima is a great story and just gets better the further in you get. it started off hard to read for me due to the format, but it steadily shifted from what the author's earlier styles where to something I found much more enjoyable.

You won't be displeased by reading it all.
Sep 19, 2017 11:38 AM
Jun 2016
Xenowolff said:
DoctorWasabi said:

Wrong, as of the last few chapters of the manga. you literally HAVE to read Negima to understand the story, which means you'll most likely have to in order to understand this at some point.

But that's okay. Negima is a great story and just gets better the further in you get. it started off hard to read for me due to the format, but it steadily shifted from what the author's earlier styles where to something I found much more enjoyable.

how far should I read to get to where this should be?
Sep 19, 2017 1:25 PM
Sep 2017
... pretty much all of it? I can't see them getting to the part I'm talking about before the end of the first season of this anime. But, if you want to get all of the little references they will undoubtedly make, it would be wise to read it all.
Sep 19, 2017 1:27 PM
Sep 2017
You have to remember that this is supposed to happen years after the end of Negima. Meaning that almost all of the events that happened in the magnet will happen before this.
Sep 19, 2017 2:17 PM
Jun 2016
Xenowolff said:
You have to remember that this is supposed to happen years after the end of Negima. Meaning that almost all of the events that happened in the magnet will happen before this.

ahhh okay thanks :>
Sep 24, 2017 10:45 PM
Oct 2013
You don't need to read Negima to understand UQ Holder.
Oct 1, 2017 9:26 PM
Jun 2016
Well if you don't want to understand why is this happening,why is a particular girl related to Negi or Evangeline,why she has this power then you may want to skip it.But I would say you should read Negima to fully enjoy UQ holder.Especially after chapter 100.
Oct 2, 2017 6:46 AM

Sep 2012
SigOpram said:

You dont need to but you will miss so many thing is the truth.
Oct 2, 2017 7:45 AM
Jun 2016
SigOpram said:

Well if you don't want to fully "enjoy" instead of just "understanding" you can go ahead.But after chapter 100 in UQ holder its all pretty much Negima only and something of the MAJOR things are explained.
Oct 3, 2017 7:15 AM

Nov 2009
Magister_Jakene said:

To clarify, one needs to read this manga: https://myanimelist.net/manga/15/Mahou_Sensei_Negima

And definitely not one of the alternative versions like this one: https://myanimelist.net/manga/597/Negima_Neo
Oct 4, 2017 12:33 AM
Oct 2013
PapaShango said:
Well if you don't want to fully "enjoy" instead of just "understanding" you can go ahead.But after chapter 100 in UQ holder its all pretty much Negima only and something of the MAJOR things are explained.

"Fully enjoy" is entirely subjective. I tried Negima and I didn't last long. In short, I didn't enjoy it at all.

If you're not into generic harem/school/ecchi kind of anime then this anime isn't for you. I like UQ Holder more because it's more serious, more complex and more battle-oriented than its predecessor.

Also, like I said, you don't need to watch or read Negima to enjoy UQ Holder because it can hold on by its own. Just imagine UQ Holder didn't have a prequel, imagine Negima is non-existent. The story would still work. UQ Holder explains the points you don't understand later anyway. There are far more confusing anime out there. You can just go to wikia for a plot summary if you're really curious.

Don't misunderstand me. Just give it Negima a try if you feel so. If you enjoy watching it, then good for you. If you don't then it's not an issue either.
Oct 4, 2017 1:10 AM
Jul 2011
@SigOpram
I tried Negima and I didn't last long.

Yes, in the beginning MSN is just that - generic harem/school/ecchi but later it switches to great battles, interesting magic systems and complex world building...then switches back to harem and so on.
UQ Holder is exactly that but skips the initial part.

I like UQ Holder more because it's more serious, more complex and more battle-oriented than its predecessor.

Not really. When UQ Holder gets silly it is exactly like MSN's harem/ecchi parts.
The only difference is that that it took longer for MSN to decide to be a battle shounen.
Before that it was a Love Hina clone.
Oct 4, 2017 1:54 AM

Dec 2012
355 chapters -_-
What chapter of this anime in the manga?

Oct 4, 2017 1:56 AM
Oct 2013
@megaload

That's exactly why I didn't enjoy Negima. You need to get past the senseless, episodic harem/ecchi part before the plot and action actually start. And that's about 13+ episodes... which is just a turn off. "Took longer" is an understatement in Negima's case.

UQ Holder's main plot, on the other hand, starts right at the beginning. As for the occasional harem/ecchi they are placed evenly throughout the story. And although it's harem/ecchi, it's not episodic at all as the plot always progress.

With that said, I think UQ Holder is an improvement, better version of Negima.

GosuGian said:
355 chapters -_-
What chapter of this anime in the manga?

UQ Holder is a separate title. It currently has 136 chapters.
ExplodingGirlOct 4, 2017 1:59 AM
Oct 4, 2017 2:21 AM
May 2017
wolfwing said:
Xenowolff said:

how far should I read to get to where this should be?
F it I can't be bothered if i have to go through with this hassle
Oct 4, 2017 3:00 AM
Apr 2016
I have read nejima from start to finish and catch up to the latest chapter of UQ Holder manga,

my answer is, No, you don't need to read nejima to understand and enjoy UQ Holder.

Though you will enjoy UQ holder a lot more if you read nejima.

Oct 4, 2017 5:47 AM
Jul 2011
@SigOpram
You need to get past the senseless, episodic harem/ecchi part before the plot and action actually start.

They were written before the editor allowed the manga to transform in something else.
Also there are some pieces of the main puzzle even in those chapters (well Eva got retconned because her original version was stupid).

UQ Holder's main plot, on the other hand, starts right at the beginning.

There is main plot in UQ Holder?
Naaah it jumps around frequently. First Tota wants to climb up the tower, then to be a useful member of the UQ Holder club, then to participate in the tournament, then to know more about his grandfather, climbing the tower again, suddenly water jet competition interrupted by...ect.
Right in this moment the manga is in mode "extra chapters for Mahou Sensei Negima".

As for the occasional harem/ecchi they are placed evenly throughout the story.

Maybe in the beginning but the more you advance in UQ Holder the more Negima-like it becomes. The fanservice is more idiotic and with even younger looking girls.

So this is it - you read both of those manga for the battles and for the worldbuilding. The other stuff is stupid.
Oct 4, 2017 7:46 AM
Oct 2013
@megaload

They were written before the editor allowed the manga to transform in something else.
Also there are some pieces of the main puzzle even in those chapters (well Eva got retconned because her original version was stupid).
Uh okay but you still need to watch those 13+ episodes. And what's with this "pieces of the main puzzle"? The plot is simple as it gets. This is not a mystery where you have to figure who the killer is. UQ Holder is just using details from Negima and putting a veil of mystery for the current cast and setting. That's all.

Naaah it jumps around frequently. First Tota wants to climb up the tower, then to be a useful member of the UQ Holder club, then to participate in the tournament, then to know more about his grandfather, climbing the tower again, suddenly water jet competition interrupted by...ect.
Right in this moment the manga is in mode "extra chapters for Mahou Sensei Negima".

O course there is. Every story has a "main plot" or simply put a plot. Whether it jumps around or not is irrelevant as long as it's not some random/episodic.

Also, the protagonist getting sidetracked into joining UQ Holder is still part of the plot. What do you want? Tota should set straight to the tower while cutting off world-building and the development of other characters since they're inconsequential to the tower which is the "main plot"?

Maybe in the beginning but the more you advance in UQ Holder the more Negima-like it becomes.
At least the plot had solidified by the time it turned "Negima-like" at the part you're pointing out, unlike more than 50% of Negima, in which you need to watch to fully enjoy and understand the series.

The fanservice is more idiotic and with even younger looking girls.

Exactly, so why waste time reading/watching half of Negima (which is just a fanservice of young looking girls) when you yourself said it?

So this is it - you read both of those manga for the battles and for the worldbuilding. The other stuff is stupid.
Naahh. If you badly want to "fully enjoy" the series, then you could just skip 50% of Negima and start reading at the chapter or watching at the episode where the battles have started. The first half of Negima is just nonsensical romcom anyway.

Q.E.D.
For the love of god, I fully enjoy and understand UQ Holder and I didn't even know the story behind Negima. I'm doing fine so why you guys can't and insist you need to read/watch the entirety of Negima?
ExplodingGirlOct 4, 2017 9:07 AM
Oct 4, 2017 11:44 AM

Jan 2009
there is huge flash back in uq holder and this flash back is more or less true ending of negima, so if you don't read negima you won't understand that flash back and you will spoil quite few things for your negima read.

if you can't read full start you can read up to end of kyoto arc and then jump to festival arc.
i think in this way you won't miss a lot of plot points, but you won't have introduction of few characters. festival arc is start of more shonen feel and more complex plot.
Oct 5, 2017 2:31 AM

May 2012
After watching the 1st episode, I can tell you that you DO NOT NEED to watch the previous season. There is not much in common and takes place after 80 years. THe MC is grandson of the previous MC. And only the vampire girl survive in this series

Also, 1st episode of UQ Holder! is way better than anything I've seen from Negima! (I just watched like 6 episode from SHAFT version and then I dropped it)
Oct 5, 2017 4:41 AM
Jun 2016
SigOpram said:
PapaShango said:

"Fully enjoy" is entirely subjective. I tried Negima and I didn't last long. In short, I didn't enjoy it at all.

If you're not into generic harem/school/ecchi kind of anime then this anime isn't for you. I like UQ Holder more because it's more serious, more complex and more battle-oriented than its predecessor.

Also, like I said, you don't need to watch or read Negima to enjoy UQ Holder because it can hold on by its own. Just imagine UQ Holder didn't have a prequel, imagine Negima is non-existent. The story would still work. UQ Holder explains the points you don't understand later anyway. There are far more confusing anime out there. You can just go to wikia for a plot summary if you're really curious.

Don't misunderstand me. Just give it Negima a try if you feel so. If you enjoy watching it, then good for you. If you don't then it's not an issue either.

I think you misunderstood what I said.By my comments It should be clear that I have read Negima manga and I remember it clearly.AND I NEVER WATCHED THE NEGIMA ANIME.I just stuck to the manga and that's it.And for me I got hooked into Negima far more easily than UQ holder manga.By the time I finished the School Festival Arc in the manga it was already in my list of favourite shonen manga of all time(Infact maybe at the top).And what to say about Inverse Mars Arc and the battle between Negi and Jack Rakan.Character development of Negima is far better than UQ holder for me.And It took me TEN tries(yes ten) to get past chapter 10 of UQ holder.Some of my friends kept pushing me to read it saying you will see Negima soon and so I somehow managed to get past it.Yes UQ holder is more serious than Negima but its same as Negima in ecchi/harem parts.It can stand on its own and becomes better as it progresses but eventually it becomes a proper sequel to Negima and its name says the same as well.This alias of Mahou Sensei Negima 2 was added later and you know the reason why.If you already know about Negima then it becomes more easier to enjoy according to me.For example the impact of the first scene of first episode of UQ holder is almost zero for a complete newbie.
PapaShangoOct 5, 2017 4:47 AM
Oct 5, 2017 4:43 AM
Jun 2016
thepath said:
After watching the 1st episode, I can tell you that you DO NOT NEED to watch the previous season. There is not much in common and takes place after 80 years. THe MC is grandson of the previous MC. And only the vampire girl survive in this series

Also, 1st episode of UQ Holder! is way better than anything I've seen from Negima! (I just watched like 6 episode from SHAFT version and then I dropped it)

I would say you made a huge mistake by just watching the anime and dropping it without giving manga a try.Anime completely butchered the manga in bad ways.Also about surviving and common part you are wrong(I don't want to spoil) .There is a reason why UQ holder added Mahou Sensei Negima 2 as its alternative name in the manga later and anime directly has this name as its alternative title as well.
Oct 5, 2017 1:33 PM
Oct 2013
PapaShango said:

I think you misunderstood what I said.By my comments It should be clear that I have read Negima manga and I remember it clearly.

Nope. No indication there buddy unless you want me to jump.

AND I NEVER WATCHED THE NEGIMA ANIME.

My message is not only for you but for everyone else. Stop assuming that what I've said was inclusive for you.
Oct 6, 2017 1:31 AM

Jul 2016
So Negima is boring I see......:

And also if you think UQ Holder! is different from Negima and didn't have any romantic/ecchi/fan-service moments, then you're CLEARLY wrong:

I can post it more if I want but since it's just show how Negima isn't "boring" so I won't post too much about these, so please don't think Negima and UQ Holder are different. You can hate it but don't claim these is different show just because how boring and different the beginning of the manga is. Also according to that logic, does this mean Rosario Vampire from comedy/ecchi/fan-service to become a Shounen action manga in the later chapters was also boring and bad because of the beginning of the story?
MahiaErebeaNegiOct 6, 2017 1:36 AM
Oct 6, 2017 2:36 AM

May 2012
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

THose are from OVA right ?

When I watched the 6 episodes form the TV series, I did not see anything as impressive as these
Oct 6, 2017 3:13 AM

Jul 2016
thepath said:
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

When I watched the 6 episodes form the TV series, I did not see anything as impressive as these

Yep except of Negi vs Rakan video which is from the manga, and these OVA are adapted from the Negima manga, as there's a lot of manga fans want to see those fight screens to be animated.
Oct 6, 2017 11:52 AM
Jun 2016
thepath said:
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

I don't know about the anime, but the manga does pick up after a bit, the first part is slow and very harem like, from then it picks up into slightly more combat series.
Oct 9, 2017 12:07 PM

Nov 2009
SigOpram said:
Naahh. If you badly want to "fully enjoy" the series, then you could just skip 50% of Negima and start reading at the chapter or watching at the episode where the battles have started. The first half of Negima is just nonsensical romcom anyway.

If you don't enjoy romcoms, you should just skip both Negima and UQ Holder. No matter how fighty it gets, it remains ecchi.

thepath said:

SHAFT version doesn't even deserve to be called an adaptation of the manga (Most likely, it's adaptation of Negima Neo). I dropped it at episode 8.
It's the Xebec version that is somewhat faithful and in any way useful for understanding UQ Holder.

megaload said:
UQ Holder's main plot, on the other hand, starts right at the beginning.

That's very Touta-like.

@MahiaErebeaNegi
It seems a bunch of your links don't work. Only videos up to Negi vs Rakan in the first spoiler and only one video under the second spoiler seem to work properly, but there seems to be a bunch of more picture links that don't work. (apparently, the hosting server doesn't give access to them).
flannanOct 9, 2017 12:11 PM
Oct 10, 2017 1:32 AM

Jul 2016
flannan said:

It seems a bunch of your links don't work. Only videos up to Negi vs Rakan in the first spoiler and only one video under the second spoiler seem to work properly, but there seems to be a bunch of more picture links that don't work. (apparently, the hosting server doesn't give access to them).

Seem like it is, but oh well since these Negima vids is already shows up how Negima isn't boring and only about romantic I won't gonna repost it. Though I still have to reposting the UQ Holder harem staffs here.

https://anime.astronerdboy.com/2017/04/uq-holder-chapter-135-spoiler-images.html
https://anime.astronerdboy.com/2017/04/uq-holder-chapter-136-spoiler-images.html

I think two link is already enough to shows up the harem staffs.

More topics from this board

Poll: » UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2017

36 by MyAnimeList94 »»
Jun 23, 2023 4:11 PM

Poll: » UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2017

80 by Maknae19 »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:21 PM

Poll: » UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2017

67 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Apr 11, 2023 4:33 PM

Poll: » UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2017

59 by Dudes3712 »»
Feb 20, 2023 12:56 AM

Poll: » UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2017

49 by DiegoSxnpai »»
Nov 5, 2022 6:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.