Forum Settings
Forums

FFXIII is Beautiful, greatest game ever made better than X, VII, Zelda, MGS

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jul 22, 2010 1:14 PM
Apr 2009
@ MTDPhotography:

Agreed. The game was alright. The majority of the story was painfully cheesy, but the ending was decent. I found myself enjoying the last few hours (out of 60 hours) of the game a lot.

I doubt SE took out anything big from the game to make the PS3 and 360 versions equal. It probably wouldn't have changed much had the game not gone multi-platform. But if they really did have to take out something significant, then SE should have learned from their mistake and will think twice before making Versus multi-plat. I sort of hope that it stays PS3-exclusive, though, because that'll be a good reason (hopefully) for me to buy a PS3. I was going to get one until I learned the Slim doesn't have backwards-compatibility. >_<
YvesJul 23, 2010 12:27 PM
Jul 23, 2010 9:34 AM
Jul 2010
Yves said:
@ MTDPhotography: Agreed. The game was alright. The majority of the story was painfully cheesy, but the ending was decent. I found myself enjoying the last few hours (out of 60 hours) of the game a lot.

I doubt SE took out anything big from the game to make the PS3 and 360 versions equal. It probably wouldn't have changed much had the game not gone multi-platform. But if they really did have to take out something significant, then SE should have learned from their mistake and will think twice before making Versus multi-plat. I sort of hope that it stays PS3-exclusive, though, because that'll be a good reason (hopefully) for me to buy a PS3. I was going to get one until I learned the Slim doesn't have backwards-compatibility. >_<

yup, i think they did cuz yknow Xbox uses HD Dvd, ryt? and PS3 uses Blu ray. so PS3 DISCs have lots of space. HD DVDs however have less. so to be equally the same. cuz Xbox couldn't handle the version of PS3. so SE made FFXIII so LINEAR :(

LOL btw Sony took out the backwards-compatibilty cuz they want to put the PS2 games on PSN or they want to remake it on HD. thats why theres a Gow of war Collection now, and soon SHadow of Colossus and Sly Collection :D
"NO LONGER USED"

PLS VISIT MY NEW ACCOUNT xD

http://myanimelist.net/profile/iWishTifaWasReal
Jul 23, 2010 12:25 PM
Apr 2009
@ MTDPhotography:

SE was pretty much done with the PS3 version of FFXIII when they started porting it to the 360. They didn't re-do the entire game to make it linear. I mean, my 360 handles the huge Gran Pulse map fine, so I'm sure they didn't have to streamline the maps that much to make them work on the 360. It was just a design choice that I think backfired. The thing they did compromise on with the port was the graphics. I can tell you that the CG cut scenes on the 360 version are grainy and not that pretty to look at. That's what SE took out of to make the 360 version small enough to fit on three standard discs.

I hope Sony makes Persona and FF game collections for the PS3. Then I'd probably get a PS3 right away. :o
Jul 23, 2010 12:32 PM

Nov 2008
Baman said:

And the gameplay, uh, what gameplay? The battles are all about pounding x (and occasionally use a potion) and the exploration and puzzles are whisked away completely.

lol what a pathetic reason.

MW2 is all about pounding LT and RT, need for Speed is all about pounding RT and other games are all about moving Left Stick.
Jul 23, 2010 1:09 PM
Oct 2008
frostReturns said:
Baman said:

And the gameplay, uh, what gameplay? The battles are all about pounding x (and occasionally use a potion) and the exploration and puzzles are whisked away completely.

MW2 is all about pounding LT and RT, need for Speed is all about pounding RT and other games are all about moving Left Stick.

I think you are missing the point. Most FF games require a little bit more difficulty then pressing the "easy" button to win a battle. In XIII all you have to do is press the x button and it does all of the command combination for you. The only thing you have to worry about is switching paradigms at the right moment.

That's hardly gameplay. I haven't played MW2 or Need for Speed but I assume like with most FPS games and racing games, some amount of skill is required and that it doesn't do most the aiming and driving for you.
Jul 23, 2010 8:56 PM
Jul 2010
@Yves
and yeah i forgot to tell u
i heard that SE had a financial problem with SONY, thats why they made ffxiii multiplat
and theres another one, after the release of ffxiii, sony sued SE cuz of the failure rate of the fat ps3s. LOL so FFversusXIII is likely to happen on the 360 :D but GOD i dont want that to happen

is Persona that good? i never played that game, i just heard of it
and u know whats sick? if SE remakes all the Final fantasy games starting from1 to 12 only for the ps3 and holy shit that will boost the sales of PS3s
im sorry for being fanboy
i just love my PS3 that much :D

and holy f, i thought u had a ps3 :(
and i recommend u to get one now cuz ps3 has better games (RPG,Racing,Adventure,etc)
EXCEPT FPS, FPS is really for xbox i have to admit :)
"NO LONGER USED"

PLS VISIT MY NEW ACCOUNT xD

http://myanimelist.net/profile/iWishTifaWasReal
Jul 23, 2010 9:43 PM

Sep 2009
cant wait for versus ^^
Jul 24, 2010 12:24 PM
Apr 2009
@ MTDPhotography:

I've only seen some gameplay videos of Persona and heard some positive reviews of it. That's why I want to try it out.

I only really care about FF7 +. I can play the older ones on my computer. I've heard a lot of good things about the PS1 and PS2 FF games (excluding FF12). FF13 was my first real FF game. I've played Tactics Advanced, but that doesn't count.

I haven't been playing video games that much lately. I'm playing Devil May Cry 4 at the moment. I have Baten Kaitos for Gamecube that I've been wanting to play. And there's Mass Effect 2 that I'll play whenever I finish DMC4 and Baten Kaitos. And Halo: Reach is coming out in September, and I think that'll occupy practically all my gaming time like Halo 3 did. xD But I will make room for Versus if it comes out soon and is good. The trailer looked amazing, but so did the FF13 trailer...
Jul 24, 2010 1:00 PM

Nov 2008
CapellaStar said:
frostReturns said:
Baman said:

I think you are missing the point. Most FF games require a little bit more difficulty then pressing the "easy" button to win a battle. In XIII all you have to do is press the x button and it does all of the command combination for you. The only thing you have to worry about is switching paradigms at the right moment.

That's hardly gameplay. I haven't played MW2 or Need for Speed but I assume like with most FPS games and racing games, some amount of skill is required and that it doesn't do most the aiming and driving for you.

Auto-aim? Green path on the ground?
Jul 25, 2010 7:36 AM

Dec 2009
I'm almost finishing the game and so far I don't understand alot. If you like the battle system then you should play this game till the end but for me I found it quite boring and despite being in the last level, I dropped it. Oh, and who hated Vanille?
Jul 25, 2010 12:12 PM

Oct 2008
Im playin it on the xbox and I just finished the first disc but I dropped it. It's way to linear and I think the story is very boring. I also dislike Vanille and Hope.
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Jul 25, 2010 4:27 PM

Jan 2010
At chapter 4 I thought the game kinda sucked but now, at chapter 9, thirty-seven odd hours in, the game seems a lot more fun :P Battle system becomes more complex and therefore fun, as the story develops the characters become more likeable, and the whole thing becomes less linear and more classic RPG action. Oh, and the music in this game is actually brilliant. Everything about it has grown on me - I commented ages ago pointing out everything about the game that sucked, but not now. Everyone who disliked the first few chapters should keep on playing, I'd say - there's a lot more to the game than you first realise... ^-^
Jul 28, 2010 2:24 PM

Feb 2005
frostReturns said:

Exactly.
Hell, people complained about XII, but there at least you got a strategic element as you customized the Gambits to whatever situation or tactic you wanted, so when you watched the battles play themselves, you knew YOU were the one who had planned it all out.
XIII on the other hand is like a movie where you have to press X sometimes.

The battle system does get better after a while when you're finally allowed to actually changed your party and get some slightly more challenging battles, but it's still essentially a glorified rock-paper-scissors system, with some classes, like the Sentinel, being essentially useless in all but some very specific situations. And the silly story based level cap on the Crysta-wotzit thing is rather pointless and stupid.

Oh, and the whole upgrading weapons thing is a bloody joke. Up till chapter 10, I've only gotten enough loot to fully upgrade two weapons. What the hell is the deal with that? Did they somehow think we might as well wait till the end of the game to start with it? I've been reading the guides and seen that there's apparently a lot of stuff to be done with making new weapons and whatnot, but this is pathetically poor planning from SE's side by not actually utilizing it properly throughout the majority of the game.

The story still hardly manages to interest me at all. The characters are still too generic and trite to be worth caring about, and when it's all more or less character melodrama in all those cutscenes, I might as well skip them all. Hell, I knew that emo brat blamed heroman for his mother's death from the first time he said it, no need showing me twenty more cutscenes with it.
The painfully linear and exploration/interaction less "gameplay" also helps to sap the story. How am I supposed to care about the fate of Cocoon when I have hardly even seen anything of it? I don't get to explore the cities, talk to the people or familiarize myself with the world outside the short codex descriptions. For such a seemingly elaborate setting they've made, it's a shame they wont even let the players explore it at all. No attachment to the world or characters doesn't make for a very interesting ride.

And then you have the party needlessly splitting up and wandering aimlessly for so many contrived reasons, only to make the otherwise easy battles more challenging since you only have two members, and in so doing, boost the playtime with another hour or two.
It feels like they calculated it all out when they made it, and threw in more drawn out fights and unnecessarily long areas just to hit some 40 hour average mark or whatnot.

Most of the areas are terribly bland, even ignoring the linearity. I thought FF XII was bad for forcing me to walk endless walkways suspended amongst trees, and this time, it's just the same but even more boring.
Granted, the Fifth Ark seems rather nice so far, but that's bloody late to start amending the crappy level design.

With the tutorials popping up all the time and the usually terribly easy battles, this game gives me the same sort of feel stuff like Avatar, Advent Children and Code Geass does; that it's just a bunch of flashy graphics and melodrama thrown together in a neat package to sell as much as possible, rather than genuinely trying to tell a story.
At least it goes to show that spending a lot of time and money to make something clearly has nothing to do with it's quality. I just went through Infinite Space and Devil Survivor, and those two (even despite the former's many bugs) were way more enjoyable and engrossing in every way than FF XIII has been so far.

The way things are shaping up, this may very well be the worst FF I've played. At least FFX2 was enjoyable at times, despite it's terrible story.
I guess it may still pick up, but at 10 of 13 chapters, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Jul 28, 2010 2:51 PM

Jun 2010
Baman said:
I guess it may still pick up, but at 10 of 13 chapters, I'm not going to hold my breath.

It picks up in Chapter 11, but two chapters away from the end is still pretty damn unacceptable.
Aug 2, 2010 1:15 PM

Feb 2005
Zukin-Man said:
It picks up in Chapter 11, but two chapters away from the end is still pretty damn unacceptable.
Yea, I saw that now.
But somehow, it feels like they just threw in a couple of big areas, some grinding and quests to excuse the linearity of the majority of the game.

Now, if Pulse was way bigger, with lots of more different areas that would take as much time as the previous chapters combined, actual quests (other than monster hunting) that see you digging up ruins to learn about the past or somesuch, and with different endings for those who do so (Like, giving you a better ending if you've learned and found all there is, and thus opening up an alternative way to solve the main problems), I'd gladly forget about the previous 10 boring chapters.
Aug 5, 2010 2:01 AM
May 2009
Baman said:
frostReturns said:

Exactly.
Hell, people complained about XII, but there at least you got a strategic element as you customized the Gambits to whatever situation or tactic you wanted, so when you watched the battles play themselves, you knew YOU were the one who had planned it all out.
XIII on the other hand is like a movie where you have to press X sometimes.

The battle system does get better after a while when you're finally allowed to actually changed your party and get some slightly more challenging battles, but it's still essentially a glorified rock-paper-scissors system, with some classes, like the Sentinel, being essentially useless in all but some very specific situations. And the silly story based level cap on the Crysta-wotzit thing is rather pointless and stupid.

Oh, and the whole upgrading weapons thing is a bloody joke. Up till chapter 10, I've only gotten enough loot to fully upgrade two weapons. What the hell is the deal with that? Did they somehow think we might as well wait till the end of the game to start with it? I've been reading the guides and seen that there's apparently a lot of stuff to be done with making new weapons and whatnot, but this is pathetically poor planning from SE's side by not actually utilizing it properly throughout the majority of the game.

The story still hardly manages to interest me at all. The characters are still too generic and trite to be worth caring about, and when it's all more or less character melodrama in all those cutscenes, I might as well skip them all. Hell, I knew that emo brat blamed heroman for his mother's death from the first time he said it, no need showing me twenty more cutscenes with it.
The painfully linear and exploration/interaction less "gameplay" also helps to sap the story. How am I supposed to care about the fate of Cocoon when I have hardly even seen anything of it? I don't get to explore the cities, talk to the people or familiarize myself with the world outside the short codex descriptions. For such a seemingly elaborate setting they've made, it's a shame they wont even let the players explore it at all. No attachment to the world or characters doesn't make for a very interesting ride.

And then you have the party needlessly splitting up and wandering aimlessly for so many contrived reasons, only to make the otherwise easy battles more challenging since you only have two members, and in so doing, boost the playtime with another hour or two.
It feels like they calculated it all out when they made it, and threw in more drawn out fights and unnecessarily long areas just to hit some 40 hour average mark or whatnot.

Most of the areas are terribly bland, even ignoring the linearity. I thought FF XII was bad for forcing me to walk endless walkways suspended amongst trees, and this time, it's just the same but even more boring.
Granted, the Fifth Ark seems rather nice so far, but that's bloody late to start amending the crappy level design.

With the tutorials popping up all the time and the usually terribly easy battles, this game gives me the same sort of feel stuff like Avatar, Advent Children and Code Geass does; that it's just a bunch of flashy graphics and melodrama thrown together in a neat package to sell as much as possible, rather than genuinely trying to tell a story.
At least it goes to show that spending a lot of time and money to make something clearly has nothing to do with it's quality. I just went through Infinite Space and Devil Survivor, and those two (even despite the former's many bugs) were way more enjoyable and engrossing in every way than FF XIII has been so far.

The way things are shaping up, this may very well be the worst FF I've played. At least FFX2 was enjoyable at times, despite it's terrible story.

Your criticism is nice and sweet.
Jun 30, 2013 5:42 PM

Jan 2013
It is extremely beautiful, I'm lost of words on how beautiful the world is.
The color, designs, everything in this game graphical wise is breathtakingly beautiful.
Shame though it's too linear and doesn't offer much side contents
Jun 30, 2013 6:12 PM

May 2013
If by beautiful, you mean the graphics, then yes, they are.

But the gameplay needs a little work. Wasn't too fond of the auto-attack thingymajig.
Jun 30, 2013 6:18 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Dark_Chaos said:

But the gameplay needs a little work. Wasn't too fond of the auto-attack thingymajig.

Me either, so I didn't use it. You don't have to hit auto ya know.
Jun 30, 2013 6:22 PM

Apr 2011
I love the complaint of "you just press X", if you couldn't tell, auto battle was a feature for casual gamers who don't want to actually get the full experience out of the battle system. If you consider yourself a fan of JRPGs and you used auto battle....you should be ashamed. Not saying 13 is perfect, but so much of the hate is just repeating bandwagon nonsense that isn't even true or barely true.
Jun 30, 2013 6:26 PM

May 2013
KingYoshi said:
Dark_Chaos said:

I didn't, but it was still a hassle. In any case, I played the game for the story as story is everything in a game, so I quite enjoyed it myself.
Jun 30, 2013 6:31 PM

Apr 2011
Dark_Chaos said:
KingYoshi said:
Dark_Chaos said:

I didn't, but it was still a hassle. In any case, I played the game for the story as story is everything in a game, so I quite enjoyed it myself.

If you mean it was a hassle because it was set to start at Auto and you had to press down to get to the attacks, you could change that in the menu. I personally think in the very first battle they should have asked you if you wanted to do that.

Personally I found FF13s battle system to be awesome.
Jul 1, 2013 12:29 PM

May 2013
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
Dark_Chaos said:
KingYoshi said:
Dark_Chaos said:

If you mean it was a hassle because it was set to start at Auto and you had to press down to get to the attacks, you could change that in the menu. I personally think in the very first battle they should have asked you if you wanted to do that.

Personally I found FF13s battle system to be awesome.

Ahh, never knew that. Yeah, they should have asked at at the beginning, as many other games do that sort of thing :/
Jul 1, 2013 12:36 PM
Mar 2011
Bring back a Proper ATB system
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 1, 2013 1:09 PM

Jun 2011
Enjoyable. You are kidding, right. I got one for $3 recently. So far, I'm not impressed. The battle system is shit, it feels like I'm watching cgi movie and bashing one button. The story and characters are awful. Graphics are nice and that's all. I personally like good stories and battle systems which require you to use your brain. I prefer Shin Megami Tensei series over the whole Final Fantasy franchise.
Jul 1, 2013 2:24 PM

Oct 2012
airidas20th said:
Enjoyable. You are kidding, right. I got one for $3 recently. So far, I'm not impressed. The battle system is shit, it feels like I'm watching cgi movie and bashing one button. The story and characters are awful. Graphics are nice and that's all. I personally like good stories and battle systems which require you to use your brain. I prefer Shin Megami Tensei series over the whole Final Fantasy franchise.
I don't understand people who make this complaint. It might be true until you get through the first third of the game, and then you skip all of the missions.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 1, 2013 5:47 PM

Feb 2013
Dark_Chaos said:

You do realize you don't have to use it right? In fact it's to your advantage not to use it because it doesn't always choose the optimal actions.
Jul 1, 2013 5:47 PM

Feb 2013
airidas20th said:
No offense, but the Shin Megami Tensei games aren't really any more complex than FF, except for maybe Devil Survivor.
Jul 1, 2013 5:51 PM

Apr 2011
airidas20th said:

I also prefer the SMT games to FF these days, but you clearly played FF13 for 10min and then just stopped and jumped on the bandwagon repeating what everyone else says. Last time I checked not many JRPGs battle systems are all that deep in the first hour or so of the game, although I admit FF13 takes longer then most to fully flesh out(mainly cause it is very different, and the first 7 chapters are basically tutorials). Your loss though.
Jul 2, 2013 6:43 PM
Mar 2008
Really? The beginning was one of the best moments of the game for me. Actually, now that I think about it. Most FF show their guns from the start.
onewithflanJul 2, 2013 6:46 PM
Jul 2, 2013 7:00 PM

Jun 2012
Would have been better if OP didn't edit their post. Cop out, 0/10.

More on topic, I didn't think FFXIII was that bad.
Jul 2, 2013 8:25 PM

Oct 2012
I liked FFXIII........
Jul 3, 2013 12:24 PM

May 2009
Lol.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

56 by BitChilly »»
4 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
4 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
5 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
7 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.