Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2008 1:29 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oofuri without Mihashi and the folks? It was ok. I miss the real team!
Mar 16, 2008 2:52 AM

Nov 2006
bluethree said:
Oofuri without Mihashi and the folks? It was ok. I miss the real team!
I agree. I enjoyed learning more about Haruna though, I like him.
Mar 16, 2008 4:13 AM

Feb 2008
I was expecting more about Mihashi and Abe's crew, but it was a refreshing change to get a Haruna perspective. I enjoyed the bonus and crossing my fingers that there will be more sometime.

This anime was superb. I've resigned myself to boning up on the manga so that my baseball appetites can remain sated.
Mar 16, 2008 6:18 AM
Dec 2007
Still as great as the series even though we didn't see the Nishiura crew !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 16, 2008 11:23 AM

Jan 2007
I enjoyed it. It was nice learning about the backstory of a different team. I gave it a 7.
Mar 16, 2008 12:08 PM

Jul 2007
EEEEEEEE HARUNA IS SO CUTE <33333333333
He needs his own series. sorry but Mihashi ain't that interesting, give me 80 fast pitches over controlled slow fastballs any time :P

Anyway, it was great seeing other sides of Haruna.. he's actually a good boy and even hard working, nothing like how Abe describes him.. and I can't blame him for not trying hard for a jr high game when his goal is becoming pro. Abe needs to grow up and let go of the grudge, he'll feel much better xD
Mar 16, 2008 12:33 PM

Mar 2008
myth720 said:
He needs his own series. sorry but Mihashi ain't that interesting, give me 80 fast pitches over controlled slow fastballs any time :P

The problem comes when he have reached those 80 pitches and it´s still more innings left. I think i would stay with a pithcer than actually can, and want too give his all the whole game.

myth720 said:
Anyway, it was great seeing other sides of Haruna.. he's actually a good boy and even hard working, nothing like how Abe describes him.. and I can't blame him for not trying hard for a jr high game when his goal is becoming pro. Abe needs to grow up and let go of the grudge, he'll feel much better xD

Who said that Abe have a grudge against him now? They last met in episode 2 or 3, Abe have grown up since then. So i really doubt that he even thinks about Haruna anymore.

About the episode itself. IT was a good episode but i i had the feeling that they tried to mix humor and seriousness together and failed. It was a good episode but overall i would only give it a 6.

But i really had my hopes up that we would see more of Mihashi and the rest of the team :(

Mar 16, 2008 12:49 PM

Jul 2007
Anyien said:
myth720 said:

The problem comes when he have reached those 80 pitches and it´s still more innings left. I think i would stay with a pithcer than actually can, and want too give his all the whole game.

Who said he will continue to throw only 80 pitches during high school? He said himself that once his growth spurt is over he will pitch more, and also, if he wants to become pro he probably knows that he has to stand out during his *3rd* year of high school and win Koshien. I think he's gonna give all he's got when he knows it's a ticket to the pro league.

(and btw, I think in professional games they don't usually let one pitcher pitch through all of it, so not to risk injuries or wear)

Anyien said:
Who said that Abe have a grudge against him now? They last met in episode 2 or 3, Abe have grown up since then. So i really doubt that he even thinks about Haruna anymore.

It was ep 8 and 9, and that doesn't matter. We don't know if he grew over it or not, it's just that even when Haruna was doing good - Tajima and Mihashi were all impressed at his save from the right field and Abe was 'che', and also playing down Haruna's skill only to admit he is amazing, "but..."

Anyien said:

But i really had my hopes up that we would see more of Mihashi and the rest of the team :(

That story about Haruna was actually written before the manga, so the character of Haruna was created before Mihashi and Nishiura and even Abe. I think she created Abe to link Haruna to the main story of the manga...
myth720Mar 16, 2008 12:54 PM
Mar 16, 2008 9:33 PM

May 2007
I apparently liked this episode a lot more than the rest of you. =) Unlike a lot of OVAs and specials, I feel like it really did stand on it's own feet and told an interesting story in a short period of time. Which is unexpected, because I walked in with the expectation of not liking it since I didn't like Haruna's character from the regular season.

I liked how it was a different perspective on Haruna (even though I don't necessarily agree with the person who thinks that Abe needs to just get over it -- Haruna bullied and beat Abe while they were together -- and Haruna's catcher himself points out that Haruna now is different from the way he was in middle school.) I also liked the short exploration of intimidation and fear of failure and accepting mediocrity that they had in the middle of the episode. I thought it was an interesting point of view that I enjoyed watching.

=D
Mar 17, 2008 12:13 AM

Mar 2008
myth720 said:
That story about Haruna was actually written before the manga, so the character of Haruna was created before Mihashi and Nishiura and even Abe. I think she created Abe to link Haruna to the main story of the manga...

I really didn't know that. Seems like joining here will boost my Manga knowledge :)

Mar 17, 2008 8:50 AM

Jul 2007
"Bullied and beat" Abe? Aren't you getting a little carried away? He was pitching at his full strength, not out of malicious intent, just to show Abe he can't catch them, and Abe thought the fact that he told him he's not holding back cuz (Abe) is not afraid, was a compliment. The experience wasn't bad for him, and he felt lucky, and they were a good battery - the only problem is they are both so much alike and only see their own goal - Abe wanted to win no matter even if it was just a junior high game that held no importance, and Haruna who wants to become pro didn't want to risk his dream for a game he didn't hold important. Anyway, Abe should get over it, because Haruna is an awesome pitcher, they just paired up at the wrong time. And also both of them with such controlling, strong-minded personality, very hard to get along without power games. If Abe looked at things rationally, it would be good for him. And proving that he's not changed at all - he's using his teammates and especially Mihashi as tools for winning.. how else do you explain when he saw Mihashi on the bench after the nosebleed, his reaction wasn't concern for his wellbeing, but "our summer is ruined".

sorry for the long rant, I'm just angry ppl seeing things from one perspective without seeing the big picture, making Haruna seem like a villain. Yes he was different back then... but Akimaru also said that it's thanks to Takaya that he can pitch again naturally, and it does look like Haruna really likes Takaya and holds him with respect, even if he tries to act all cool in front of him.
Mar 17, 2008 10:01 AM

Feb 2008
I love it.

1) because it stands alone

2) because Haruna in it

anyway, I think Abe has great respect for Haruna even if he won't admit it. He doesn't dislike the guy, they just have opposite goal. Even Abe admitted that Haruna is a great pitcher

but... I miss Tajima, Mihashi, Abe and the rest of the crew :(

Anyone knows if they gonna come up with season 2?

Mar 17, 2008 11:28 AM

Mar 2008
myth720 said:
the only problem is they are both so much alike and only see their own goal - Abe wanted to win no matter even if it was just a junior high game that held no importance, and Haruna who wants to become pro didn't want to risk his dream for a game he didn't hold important.

Well, that´s the difference between them. Abe want to win even if it´s a game with "no importance", while Haruna only thinks about himself and really don´t care about his team.

myth720 said:
Anyway, Abe should get over it, because Haruna is an awesome pitcher, they just paired up at the wrong time. And also both of them with such controlling, strong-minded personality, very hard to get along without power games. If Abe looked at things rationally, it would be good for him.

Well, most people start with a sport because they want to have fun with it. I can´t say that it Abe seemed to have fun in the game they lost because Haruna had reached 80 pitches.

I know that at least I would never continue to play a sport with a person who only thinks about himself just because we make a great team.

myth720 said:
And proving that he's not changed at all - he's using his teammates and especially Mihashi as tools for winning.. how else do you explain when he saw Mihashi on the bench after the nosebleed, his reaction wasn't concern for his wellbeing, but "our summer is ruined".

In the beginning all he wanted was to win, and he made Mihashi do everything he wanted. But the more he played with Mihashi and the rest the more he changed. You can see that he trust his teammates and Mishashi more and more.

And the reaqson he is so strict with Mihashi is because Mihashi lacks confident in himself, To make Mihashi trust himself more both Abe and the rest of the team push him and show him that they trust him.

Mar 23, 2008 6:44 PM

Oct 2007
i really enjoyed this episode. i thought it was really nice how they gave us a new perspective of haruna. I had mixed feelings about him watching the series but i think overall he's become one of the characters i really like. His expressions during the episode were hysterical and adorable. I hope in the second season (if there is one) he shows up again =)
Mar 23, 2008 8:03 PM

Jul 2007
I liked this episode. It was nice to see what Haruna is actually like. Abe has a biased opinion of him but his opinion of him is based on him from two years before and it looks like we'd only seen half the story. Haruna admits himself he was miserable in junior high and was suffering from a big injury, something Abe didn't seem to know about. He's a different person than he was two years ago. Yeah he's a jerk and arrogant but at least he seems aware now that his actions, his presence hurts others and it seems the fear of injury isn't a bogus excuse to limit himself to 80 pitches, it's a real danger and one he's truly afraid of.

Anyien said:
Well, that´s the difference between them. Abe want to win even if it´s a game with "no importance", while Haruna only thinks about himself and really don´t care about his team.

I don't believe that for a second after seeing this episode. He really wanted Kaguyama to think hard a clear about why he wanted to quit the team and I think had Kaguyama decided to quit without giving him a good enough reason there's no way he would've let him. His tactics may be different, lying to Kaguyama about his stats to make him trying to win the race even if he knew there's no way he could've won, but he was helping his own teammate in his own way too.
Mar 25, 2008 10:15 PM

Jul 2007
Anyien said:

My point was, they are not so different! They probably don't get along well because they are so much alike, they just come from different POVs. (although it looks like Haruna has a very short memory and he likes Takaya quite a bit and don't get why he's pissed with him xD)
I think Haruna does care for his team, he just didn't think they had any chance and he didn't want to risk his future.. it's fairly legit. He was only 15 and there are more than enough stories about ppl who got injured and had to abandon their dreams... when kids throw too much they may hurt their bones and won't be allowed to pitch again. They've come this far anyway because Haruna played good (best 16 is not bad!!).

Anyien said:
Well, most people start with a sport because they want to have fun with it. I can´t say that it Abe seemed to have fun in the game they lost because Haruna had reached 80 pitches.

I know that at least I would never continue to play a sport with a person who only thinks about himself just because we make a great team.

Well, like I said they come from different POVs, Abe wanted to win right then, Haruna wanted to win but not in the cost of his dream. I don't see what's so wrong with that? If they were older, they would fit together better, understanding each other, but since they were middle schooler, it's understandable. It's not that Haruna isn't working hard just as much as Mihashi does... btw, Red Sox don't allow their ace to throw more than 90 pitches.. which is prolly difficult for him since he's from Japan and used to do complete games sometimes...

Anyien said:
In the beginning all he wanted was to win, and he made Mihashi do everything he wanted. But the more he played with Mihashi and the rest the more he changed. You can see that he trust his teammates and Mishashi more and more.

where? in the manga? I don't see where he doesn't want to win, even at the cost of his own health. Every time Mihashi did anything he jumped at him for risking their winning chance. He's not changed at all, and I'd love if you pointed me to a scene where it's different... I love Abe, he's top favorite of mine, but he's hardly the mature one in the lot. And as for Mihashi's lack of confidence - I think Abe's just short tempered and easily annoyed - I would be too tbh. But if you look without bias at their interaction, while he tries to get Mihashi to be more confident, all he cares about is how to make Mihashi his tool for winning. Like how he worried about Mihashi batting - 'what if he hurt his fingers?!'
and all that. Which is ok, everyone wants to win, but Abe is taking it to extreme. (especially in the latest chapters of the manga, I don't want to spoil if you've not read it!)
I think Mihashi is very convenient for Abe. a pitcher that will do everything he says and always nod at his signs... Abe is still only in one side of the spectrum, he hasn't mellowed. If it was a good battery - a pitcher would have a say too. It didn't work with Haruna because just like Abe, he has a strong mind of his own... but if Mihashi built up a spine and not only be Abe's rag doll, it could work out and they'll be the perfect battery.
Mar 25, 2008 10:27 PM

Jul 2007
tungwene said:
I liked this episode. It was nice to see what Haruna is actually like. Abe has a biased opinion of him but his opinion of him is based on him from two years before and it looks like we'd only seen half the story. Haruna admits himself he was miserable in junior high and was suffering from a big injury, something Abe didn't seem to know about. He's a different person than he was two years ago. Yeah he's a jerk and arrogant but at least he seems aware now that his actions, his presence hurts others and it seems the fear of injury isn't a bogus excuse to limit himself to 80 pitches, it's a real danger and one he's truly afraid of.

Thank you!! itawtc! Everyone seeing Haruna through Abe's eyes and don't understand it. We actually learned that not only Haruna is a hard worker and doesn't think he's a natural gifted genius.. (making his own year round training menu?? I can hardly follow my plan for today xD) , but also he got everyone else in that underdog school to work hard and reach the best of their abilities, and got them from a no-name loser school to C-seed!!! That's quite an achievement! And that's why I would love to see a manga centered around Haruna.. it's so interesting and I wanna see his road to the pro world.
May 23, 2009 4:41 AM

Jul 2008
Wasn't too great, too many new characters I thought. It was kinda nice to get Haruna's perspective, I dislike him less now. I gave this a 6.
Aug 9, 2009 7:25 AM

Feb 2008
Haruna's just misunderstood.
Now we know the truth.
In the series...he's someone you'd want to dislike. But most would only feel that way forcefully because of what Takaya told them.
However, there are people like Haruna in real life. He's just someone, I think, who hides his feelings in and ends up hurting people with the way he acts...but really he's a nice person. I can tell from the series itself and not just this single episode.

I, however, missed the Nishiura team.
I love Mihashi a lot. Quite the enjoyable character. Maybe you'd be annoyed at him because of his lack of confidence...I would've given up if I hadn't tried to understand him. I lack confidence myself and I try not to inconvenience the people around me, so I can somehow relate to him. (I just don't act like him though..lawl xD he's so fidgety :'p) His antics always makes me laugh though...lawl. x'p

If only they'd make another season. v_v
Oh well~ I'll go continue the manga now :'3 hehe lawl x'3

Dec 11, 2011 8:39 PM

Jun 2010
I believe this was based on a one-shot the same author did before starting Big Wind-Up as a regular series, so the character of Haruna predates the story he's used for in the regular series.

I don't really feel as if this is the same character, so it feels more like the author was just re-using a character design than actually fleshing out the same character. Which is kind of odd given how samey many of the designs are.
Apr 22, 2012 12:54 AM

Oct 2011
awwww this was so cute i loved this
Oct 28, 2013 8:53 AM

Jul 2012
Not bad but not as good as the main series. They're just not as interesting as the main cast. Nice ab-service though. 7/10
Nov 28, 2013 3:44 PM

May 2012
Wow, an interesting side of Haruna. Not bad. I thought he is just a spoiled guy.
Mar 6, 2014 4:40 AM

Mar 2010
Awesome!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2014 10:08 AM

Dec 2010
Eh. A mentality-stabilizing episode without baseball about characters I don't care about. 6/10
Oct 15, 2014 2:03 PM

Apr 2014
Watching this a second time after having caught up with the manga -- thus getting to know Haruna better -- this special is a lot more satisfying. Probably an 8/10 with the context.

The English dub isn't bad either.
Apr 1, 2015 9:28 AM

Feb 2015
myth720 said:

Ehhh, idk about that. I think the fact that Mihashi can't pitch the real fastballs over 150 km/h or something like in Diamond no Ace or Major is the reason why Ookiku is different. It's actually really refreshing if you think about it. If this was another typical fastball show, I'd probably drop it.

tungwene said:

I pretty much agree with this, but I'm not really attached to a team I barely know anything of so it's still pretty boring compared to the main series.
Apr 11, 2015 10:50 PM

Jun 2011
I liked this one a lot, this OVA got me interested in Musashino team. I liked the message it's trying to deliver, and how it linked to Haruna and Kaguyama.

Suzune is like the best looking girl in Oofuri, can't blame Haruna for having a crush on her. Too bad she's dating with Ookawa, lucky guy. :)
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 24, 2015 3:48 AM

Aug 2013
This special episode was funny but a bit boring.
I'm surprised that they are actually dating but I don't feel sorry for Haruna. :D
Mar 2, 2019 6:12 AM

Feb 2013
Haruna worked a lot, I guess the saying it's true, you can't jude a book by its cover.
Mar 17, 2019 6:09 PM

Oct 2015
I was surprised by Haruna's encouragement, he is a good guy after all despite Abe labelling him a baddie. I was more surprised that those guys were couple.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 22, 2019 5:07 PM

Sep 2018
Haruna is so handsome here!!! And sexy too XD
I understand now why Haruna limit himself to 80 pitches. Sad :(
May 31, 2020 4:19 AM

Sep 2016
Some Haruna fans really disgust me. Abe’s opinion is NOT biased. Why would some ppl even think Haruna wasn’t how Abe described him? Flashback is there for a reason showing what kind of a person Haruna was when he’s with Abe.
Haruna did change afterwards and was much better as we can see from this episode. And I believe that he treated Abe badly mainly because himself was experiencing a hard time and these two didn’t share the same opinion on sportsmanship & team work spirit.
BUT that doesn’t mean what he did to Abe wasn’t true! Is it so hard to admit the character you love did something bad? I guess it is considering how biased some fans are.

It’s always said that character development is quite important. That’s why I always welcome a character like Haruna. Cuz it shows how ppl would behave under different circumstances and that’s also what would happen in reality. But fans’ denying his bad behavior in the past makes no sense and ruins the beauty of the character.
Jul 21, 2021 9:18 AM

Dec 2020
an ova with insight on haruna's character and some of his team. that was surprisingly a lot lot lot better than i expected. especially their talk-fight. i was feeling eh over haruna from the last season, he was kind of an ass, well not "kind of" he was Really an ass but he wasn't a bad guy. now we got some perspective on his character and specifically why he limits himself to 80 pitches a game and i.. kinda understand it. its not Just because he wants to go pro but also some lingering grudge and past trust issues, definitely like his character a lot more. we also see that he's genuinely working hard, planning a year round workout plan, drinking milk and protein shakes instead of soda or other more appetizing drinks, working out instead of hanging out with his team etc he's using everything and anything he can to the best of it i can respect that
Dec 2, 2022 6:56 AM

May 2018
It's always nice to see a different story about other characters, it's interesting and you learn a lot about their backstory, and for this one I really enjoyed this.

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.