Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Owari S2 now has the highest percentage of (troll/illegitimate) 1/10s on this site (with the the exception of select few polarizing titles)

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 1, 2017 12:20 PM

Jan 2014
That's dumb. But on another note, let me rant about MAL's rating system.

When you think about it does the show even deserve Top 10? I'd say the rating system is flawed. Only 13,350 have actually rated the show. Of those 13,350, there were 11,300 people that give it a 10. Does 11,000 people really warrant it being ranked that high? I would say that's severely flawed. What MAL needs to do is rank every show by proportion; that means you rank by both the amount of people that scored it and the scores themselves. So for example, the current #1 is FMAB, which has 600,000 people that actually rated it. 600,000 people holds more weight than Owari's 13,350... You would have to multiply 13,000 by 46 to even get close to 600,000.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 1, 2017 12:57 PM

Jun 2014
Zelev said:

When you think about it does the show even deserve Top 10? I'd say the rating system is flawed. Only 13,350 have actually rated the show. Of those 13,350, there were 11,300 people that give it a 10. Does 11,000 people really warrant it being ranked that high? I would say that's severely flawed. What MAL needs to do is rank every show by proportion; that means you rank by both the amount of people that scored it and the scores themselves. So for example, the current #1 is FMAB, which has 600,000 people that actually rated it. 600,000 people holds more weight than Owari's 13,350... You would have to multiply 13,000 by 46 to even get close to 600,000.

So you're suggesting that more popular shows should have an advantage over lesser known series with fewer members?
Sep 1, 2017 1:06 PM

Jan 2013
Rasquale said:
Zelev said:

So you're suggesting that more popular shows should have an advantage over lesser known series with fewer members?

A show with 1000000 votes has more credibility than a show with 100 votes.
I'm all for this kind of a change :P
Sep 1, 2017 1:08 PM

Sep 2012
CondemneDio said:
Rasquale said:

Well there it is...
Sep 1, 2017 1:11 PM

Jan 2013
sasalx said:
CondemneDio said:

Well there it is...

lol, good point

So... Maybe the default page for top anime should be this, and not the "meme of the week"-page.
Sep 1, 2017 1:13 PM

Jan 2014
Rasquale said:
Zelev said:

I understand where you're coming from. It could be an entirely different list. There's already a ranking by popularity and by score, so why not by proportion/weight?

Sep 1, 2017 1:24 PM

Jun 2014
Zelev said:
Rasquale said:

I understand where you're coming from. It could be an entirely different list. There's already a ranking by popularity and by score, so why not by proportion/weight?

That would just be the start of a whole new argument over which list is more legitimate.
Sep 1, 2017 1:33 PM

Jan 2014
Rasquale said:
Zelev said:

That would just be the start of a whole new argument over which list is more legitimate.

This is a website where most people are Western. Obviously none of the lists are legitimate.

But that aside, none of the rankings are fair at the moment. The popularity one is... a popularity contest, obviously. And with the scores list, you get 3 Gintama's in the Top 10. It's pretty clear here that they're all flawed, so you should at least try to incorporate both of those lists into one list. See where I'm getting at here?

Sep 1, 2017 2:02 PM

Jun 2014
Zelev said:
Rasquale said:

This is a website where most people are Western. Obviously none of the lists are legitimate.

But that aside, none of the rankings are fair at the moment. The popularity one is... a popularity contest, obviously. And with the scores list, you get 3 Gintama's in the Top 10. It's pretty clear here that they're all flawed, so you should at least try to incorporate both of those lists into one list. See where I'm getting at here?

I meant legitimacy in the eyes of the MAL user, though I don't think what part of the world you're from matters when critiquing a piece of media. There would def be scuffles over which one holds more weight if we go by how passionate people are over the one we have now (refer to the topic of this post)

But anyway, you're saying that two lists which judge based on different standards should integrate into one "true" list maybe through an averaging of their scores? Is that it?
Sep 1, 2017 2:31 PM

Jan 2014
Rasquale said:
Zelev said:

I meant legitimacy in the eyes of the MAL user, though I don't think what part of the world you're from matters when critiquing a piece of media. There would def be scuffles over which one holds more weight if we go by how passionate people are over the one we have now (refer to the topic of this post)

But anyway, you're saying that two lists which judge based on different standards should integrate into one "true" list maybe through an averaging of their scores? Is that it?

Have you seen Japan's top 100 list? It's extremely different from MAL's. I would say it matters where you are from, to a certain extent.

I'm not saying it has to be a "true" list. All I'm saying is that list could possibly be more accurate/fair and should be up for consideration.

Sep 2, 2017 2:14 AM

Jan 2015
Brb said:
DatRandomDude said:
Doesnt change the fact that giving 1/10 because a certain anime his higher than your favorite or to ''balance'' the score because you dont think its worth this score is retarded and childish.

Most of the 10/10 are normal, its the goddamn finale of the main story and of course most of the people watching this at this point are fans or completionist.

So... Basically same story as what happens with Gintama?
Pretty similar, yeah.
Sep 2, 2017 2:18 AM

Jan 2015
Kruzy said:
Simply said, Gintama's ratings are far more lenient since it's just a comedy series where laughs = good.

Nah, that's what it seems like at the start, but there's lots to it, other than its hilarious comedy, a lot of fans of the series love it for its great story, deep characters, sad moments, development, and other things as well as its great jokes.

I can't think of many huge Gintama fans who love Gintama only for the jokes.
Sep 2, 2017 3:19 AM

Jul 2013
Wiziliz said:
Nah, that's what it seems like at the start, but there's lots to it, other than its hilarious comedy, a lot of fans of the series love it for its great story, deep characters, sad moments, development, and other things as well as its great jokes.

I can't think of many huge Gintama fans who love Gintama only for the jokes.

I admit that was badly worded but it's not like the serious/dramatic arcs make up a big part of the show either.

karton_realista said:

I think you're omitting something important. A lot of people choose to avoid watching/drop series that they wouldn't/don't like. 6-10 are positive scores and 1-5 are negative (at least that's what mal descriptions imply, also that way you have 5 positive and 5 negative scores), if you just watch anime for enjoyment/quality you obviously will choose to watch more shows that you would potentially give a positive score in the future.

Except there's no sure guarantee that what you're picking to watch is actually going to be enjoyable for you. You could be a huge fan of X genre but once in a while you might pick up a show from that genre and still not like it.

karton_realista said:
What if Bleach just appeals more to younger viewers? Which is very likely, btw, and invalidates your entire example.

It doesn't invalidate because that's not the point of the example. It still got a positive score with the older audience but the point is that their score are affected less by the algorithm.
Sep 2, 2017 3:30 AM

Feb 2016
Mostly because of trolls. Trolls are everywhere.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Sep 2, 2017 6:11 AM
Jan 2017
Kruzy said:

karton_realista said:

I think you're omitting something important. A lot of people choose to avoid watching/drop series that they wouldn't/don't like. 6-10 are positive scores and 1-5 are negative (at least that's what mal descriptions imply, also that way you have 5 positive and 5 negative scores), if you just watch anime for enjoyment/quality you obviously will choose to watch more shows that you would potentially give a positive score in the future.

Kruzy said:

Except there's no sure guarantee that what you're picking to watch is actually going to be enjoyable for you. You could be a huge fan of X genre but once in a while you might pick up a show from that genre and still not like it.

People read a synopsis of a show, look at other people's recommendations, etc.
Also, I'm not talking about certainty, I'm talking about likelihood. If you once in a while pick up a show which you end up disliking you either drop it or give it a negative score, but that happens, as you said, once in a while. Most people try to avoid shows like that.
Kruzy said:

karton_realista said:
What if Bleach just appeals more to younger viewers? Which is very likely, btw, and invalidates your entire example.

It doesn't invalidate because that's not the point of the example. It still got a positive score with the older audience but the point is that their score are affected less by the algorithm.

First sentence: wut? That does not follow. If Bleach appeals more to younger viewers then it's an important variable that can contribute to people <18 scoring it higher. If there are variables like that, you can't say "younger people have a tendency to rate everything higher than they should" based on that example. The data you're providing could be a result of various other factors.

What is that algorithm you're talking about, and what is it supposed to do? The fact that they are affected more by the algorithm is only due to arbitrary standards you/someone who made it set in place. Is that algorithm supposed to correct for age? At what age can you truly rate anime with no inflation? 80? Even the last bracket you gave had its score lowered.
karton_realistaSep 2, 2017 6:18 AM
Sep 2, 2017 9:54 AM

Jul 2013
karton_realista said:

People read a synopsis of a show, look at other people's recommendations, etc.
Also, I'm not talking about certainty, I'm talking about likelihood. If you once in a while pick up a show which you end up disliking you either drop it or give it a negative score, but that happens, as you said, once in a while. Most people try to avoid shows like that.

Well, if we're talking about the actual likelihood of it happening then it'll depend on how much you watch.

And once again, neither the synopsis nor recommendation will guarantee anything. A synopsis usually contains the general starting plot or the events of the first few episodes and depending on the length of the series could end up vastly different from the synopsis.
Then you've recommendations which could be completely garbage as well. 10 people are comparing Bakemonogatari to Nisekoi even though they're worlds apart. Heck, I would even go as far as to say that not a single show on Bake's recommendation tab is even anything closely alike and that it'll most likely set-up people for disappointment than not.

karton_realista said:
First sentence: wut? That does not follow. If Bleach appeals more to younger viewers then it's an important variable that can contribute to people <18 scoring it higher. If there are variables like that, you can't say "younger people have a tendency to rate everything higher than they should" based on that example. The data you're providing could be a result of various other factors.

What is that algorithm you're talking about, and what is it supposed to do? The fact that they are affected more by the algorithm is only due to arbitrary standards you/someone who made it set in place. Is that algorithm supposed to correct for age? At what age can you truly rate anime with no inflation? 80? Even the last bracket you gave had its score lowered.

Except that you can't really know what appeals to who really. You could use the demographics shown by MAL but they only represent in what magazines the original manga are shown and these are also skewed as hell.

Non Non Biyori runs in a Seinen magazine because some would consider it targeted toward older Otaku but it's hardly limited to them. One-Punch Man is also a Seinen anime but it's pretty much an universal show and would even say that teenagers would enjoy it the most.

Heck, let's even look at Naruto which is one of the "big 3" so plenty of people that watched Bleach would have watched it too and the results are much more different.

- 7.30 by those aged <18.
- 7.27 by those aged 18-24.
- 7.34 by those aged 25-34.
- 7.13 by those aged 35-44.

While the weighted rating changed by the algorithm is:
- 5.04 by those aged <18 (difference of 2.26)
- 5.37 by those aged 18-24 (difference of 1.9)
- 5.98 by those aged 25-34 (difference of 1.36)
- 5.55 by those aged 35-44 (difference of 1.58)

The algorithm's purpose is to counter the use of different voting scales and vote stuffing (the later being what this whole topic is about).
It's not related to age but more to the misuse of the voting scale. If one person's list is to 80% just 10/10s then that's obviously some BS and the algorithm would try to correct that. In this case it just showcases that the majority of younger Naruto/Bleach viewers are guilty of doing exactly that.
Sep 2, 2017 6:57 PM

Jan 2015
Kruzy said:
I admit that was badly worded but it's not like the serious/dramatic arcs make up a big part of the show either.

No (some would debate that given the way they tie in with the main plot, but I won't argue with that as the serious arcs take up less of the show), but even the comedy episodes frequently have more to them then just comedy, like a message. Take episode 231 for example, most of it involves morbid slapstick and whatnot, but then there's a really touching ending about accepting a close one passing away.

The majority of episodes are simply comedy based ones though, but it's the combination of those episodes and everything else the show does greatly that make people love the show as much as they do.
Sep 3, 2017 3:38 PM

Jun 2015
Violet Evergarden actually has 6.6% 1s as of now. MAL and their release thingies.
Sep 6, 2017 1:05 AM
Nov 2015
Lordwen said:
Violet Evergarden actually has 6.6% 1s as of now. MAL and their release thingies.

Damn, who did that manage to piss off so badly.
Sep 6, 2017 10:47 AM

Aug 2010
Nomar_95 said:
This sickens me. Sure, Owari 2 being at #1 is a bit excessive (I say this despite giving it a 10), but it beating out Your Name and FMAB isn't proper justification for the influx of 1s that people keep giving it. I can't believe that people would compromise their own lists or go through the trouble of making alt accounts just to drop down it's score. If we're being completely honest here, I don't think Your Name deserves to be top 100, never mind top 3 (I don't think it's bad, but it just doesn't compare to everything else in the top 100). I can't see Owari 2 leaving the top 10 any time soon, but it's pretty annoying to see the lengths people will go to unfairly score it

Preach it. Exactly my thougts. I would have been perfectly fine with it staying 1#, although I do think FMA:B is a bit better.
But I just don't get the hype about kimi no na wa.
Sep 8, 2017 11:12 AM
Apr 2016
MAL really needs to do something about this. the troll 1's shouldn't be weighted as much as they are.
Sep 8, 2017 12:47 PM

Apr 2015
While I've not looked at the scores recently, and I don't generally care about them because MAL's rating system is f*cked beyond belief, is anyone looking at scores of 2, 3, and 4? Any 'smart' troll would just make a bunch of scores not-quite as low as 1, especially if the goal is just to reduce the rating in order to knock it out of the top 10.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 9, 2017 2:08 AM

Feb 2014
Plenty of top shows have close to 2% 1 votes so nothing new here. Once more votes come in over a few years it will diminish.
Sep 11, 2017 4:08 AM

Feb 2014
Lol all in Mal top list is bullshit, and i dont care if they want to make alt account to make this anime drop that score to 1 or up to 10 or whatever...

im following this series about 7 years, and yet is worth it in my personal opinion...
whats the point to make alt account just to make ur favorite anime get to top 10?
that was the stupid thing ill never do
LusyPhSep 11, 2017 4:14 AM
Just Normal Otaku in the Peaceful World
Sep 11, 2017 4:40 AM

Apr 2016
As a fan of the series I was happy to see it achieve #1 even though in my opinion it can't be the best series on MAL as Owari S2 is a 3 episode sequel.
Then I noticed that Kimi & some other anime had overtaken it and I suspected mass negative flagging
Sep 12, 2017 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
I liked this show but I had to give it a 1/10 to try and help lowering its score. its good but not top ranking good. sorry monogatari fanboys.
Sep 29, 2017 2:07 AM

Feb 2014
eXtacy67 said:
Plenty of top shows have close to 2% 1 votes so nothing new here. Once more votes come in over a few years it will diminish.

And its already dropped to 1.6%. Point validated
Sep 29, 2017 2:12 AM

Sep 2009
Yea, MAL's system is getting worse and worse. I normally just use anikore for ratings nowadays.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 29, 2017 8:04 AM

Jun 2016
400+ and 1.6% 1/10s and you think it's too much?

Rasquale said:
It's currently sitting at 2%

edit: modified the title cus some people were being anal about it (x2)

edit 2: OKAY anything else to add?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/28977/Gintama°/stats

1.9% with 1200+ 1/10s. Gintama has more idiots taking down its score.
Sep 29, 2017 9:13 AM

Sep 2017
Those are the true hardcore otakus. You know those creepy bastards that spams and trolls and tears down photos of their idols if they get married? They are the same kind of otaku joining the shitstorm of top 100 upvoting/ downvoting. Keep me entertained. Lmao.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 1, 2017 12:24 AM
Jun 2017
People really can be really retarded, S2 was a piece of art, they can't accept that each year good stuff comes out
Oct 1, 2017 12:26 AM
Jun 2017
Punpun3 said:
I liked this show but I had to give it a 1/10 to try and help lowering its score. its good but not top ranking good. sorry monogatari fanboys.

Wtf? Sorry but thats just some ignorant crap you said there smh
Oct 1, 2017 12:29 AM

Apr 2014
Can we get those trolls to downvote Gintama instead? Lord knows we need less Gintama in the top ten
Oct 1, 2017 10:55 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I'll still never understand why people care about a show's score and why people intentionally downvote them.

Honestly I could care less if this show went down to a 7.00. What matters is that we enjoyed it for what it is. There's no need to care about those who hate on it for no reason imo.
Oct 6, 2017 11:59 PM
Feb 2009
I 'm between 9 and 10 in rating it.
This made it easy, 10.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

239 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

34 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

100 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

35 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 6:48 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

47 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 5:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.