Forum Settings
Forums

Animes that were not what they were hyped up to be...

New
Mar 4, 2010 12:47 AM

May 2009
So, i just watched the first episode of lucky star, expecting something truly amazing because of everything i've heard about it.

i am thoroughly disappointed. it was extremely boring. im not giving up on it, of course, as i hope that it will get better.

i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with an anime they heard amazing things about,but found that the praise was truly unfounded.

(lol, if this makes any sense. im half asleep.)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 4, 2010 1:08 AM

Apr 2009
Darker than Black.

Very average show.
Mar 4, 2010 1:19 AM

Nov 2007
Princess Tutu. A lot of people have told me how brilliant it is, an amazing piece of storytelling with lots of depth and some fun twists and such... but I find it really uninteresting. Haven't been able to finish it because it bored me so much. Maybe I will some day, but since I made it past the half way point where I was told "it really picks up" but it hasn't, I've just backlogged it.

Also, I'm fairly sure this topic has been done before, but I can't find it. If it has and somebody can link it I'll merge them.
Mar 4, 2010 1:23 AM

Dec 2008
*Darker than Black. As said above, average,

*Lucky Star. Checked it since it's so popular, but first episode made me drop it immediately.

*Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. First 6-7 episodes are pretty cool, then it all goes to hell after a certain person disappears from the show...

*Grave of the fireflies. Pretty popular and the story seems good, but this movie couldn't move me at all :(
Existence, well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future
The present is well out of hand
The present is well out of hand
Mar 4, 2010 1:28 AM

Nov 2009
Asako said:
Princess Tutu. A lot of people have told me how brilliant it is, an amazing piece of storytelling with lots of depth and some fun twists and such... but I find it really uninteresting. Haven't been able to finish it because it bored me so much. Maybe I will some day, but since I made it past the half way point where I was told "it really picks up" but it hasn't, I've just backlogged it.

Had/have the same problem with that particular series too. Too often the shows length is inversely proportional to how good it is :(

Lucky Star is like Seinfeld, its an anime about basically nothing. What makes it enjoyable (imo) is that it makes fun of just about anything and everything at some point in the series. Its main character Konata being a 17 year old loli with a loli-con father = win. Around eps 4 things start to make sense in their own way once all the characters are introduced and their idiosyncrasies identified.
Mar 4, 2010 1:29 AM

Apr 2008
Asako said:
Princess Tutu. A lot of people have told me how brilliant it is, an amazing piece of storytelling with lots of depth and some fun twists and such...
i've always thought those ppl were trolling :<

for me, Gintama. maybe I just have a shit sense of humor.

Mar 4, 2010 1:35 AM

Oct 2009
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun.
Too much fanservice and not enough Touma & Index.

edit: and Aria. This show is just too slow for me to properly enjoy it >_>

Nov 2007
MisterSaito said:
maybe I just have a shit sense of humor.

Yeah, pretty much.

Gintama is awesome. Though I've backlogged it since releases are so inconsistent. I restarted it awhile back then stalled on it again because I didn't want to catch up to the dismal release rate.

Jul 2009
Yeah I agree.
Gintama is like alright but sometimes its just plain shit.
あらあら。。。^^
Mar 4, 2010 1:47 AM

May 2009
Asako said:

Also, I'm fairly sure this topic has been done before, but I can't find it. If it has and somebody can link it I'll merge them.

ahh really?
i havent been on the forums much, so idk if it has been posted before. i just felt like expressing my deep agony (lol, dramatic much?) at the fact that lucky star was less than impressive thus far
:]
Mar 4, 2010 1:48 AM

May 2009
Pelsia said:
Asako said:

Had/have the same problem with that particular series too. Too often the shows length is inversely proportional to how good it is :(

Lucky Star is like Seinfeld, its an anime about basically nothing. What makes it enjoyable (imo) is that it makes fun of just about anything and everything at some point in the series. Its main character Konata being a 17 year old loli with a loli-con father = win. Around eps 4 things start to make sense in their own way once all the characters are introduced and their idiosyncrasies identified.

see, its not that it doesnt have a plot. im for mindless entertainment every once and a while, but the episode of lucky star was just utterly boring.

it was just droning stupidity to the point of not even being humorous. i hope it gets better though x]
Mar 4, 2010 1:50 AM

Jul 2009
I think it got better after the director changed.
So thats like episode 5+
あらあら。。。^^
Mar 4, 2010 2:12 AM

Nov 2008
Haylias said:
Darker than Black.

Very average show.

Agreed wholeheartedly. REBORN! is pretty dull and heavily cliched, but I managed to get through 90+ episodes. Don't forget about these precious gems featuring Kuroshitsuji, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Trinity Blood.
Mar 4, 2010 3:03 AM

Jun 2008
snow-usagi said:
not enough Touma & Index.

I actually think of that as a good thing. Especially Index is nothing more than annoying and childish.

snow-usagi said:
edit: and Aria. This show is just too slow for me to properly enjoy it >_>

Here you there stop watching after two episodes and put on hold until i have more relaxing appetite.

A show with a similar name is like that also. Actually worse. It's called Air. I was bored out of my mind watching that shit. Some stupid moe Aliens that where suppose to be girls walking up and down all day doing nothing.

TTGL- The show wasn't bad, but every one was so crazy about it and was rated number 1 on MAL, so i expected something amazing. But it wasn't much better than your typical show.
I was like, wtf is it suppose to make this more amazing than other shows?
Kamina was more like overoptimistic carefree childish than GAR and the fighting between galaxies wasn't epic for me but just immature over-exaggeration that makes physics cry to the ultimate level.

DrakeWants2Speak said:

Agreed wholeheartedly. REBORN! is pretty dull and heavily cliched, but I managed to get through 90+ episodes. Don't forget about these precious gems featuring Kuroshitsuji, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Trinity Blood.

NGE can hardly be compared with Trinity Blood. Sure it might not be your thing but Trinity Blood was just one shitty show with nothing to offer.
Mar 4, 2010 3:05 AM

Nov 2007
Monad said:
NGE can hardly be compared with Trinity Blood. Sure it might not be your thing but Trinity Blood was just one shitty show with nothing to offer.

They sound identical, what's not to compare?
Mar 4, 2010 3:11 AM

Oct 2007
Haruhi, Shana and Kuroshitsuji. The way the fangirls went on about Kuroshitsuji made me think it was some kind of revolutionary Victorian-age anime with hints of shounen-ai, but it was just... immensely boring. The only redeeming feature is how they portrayed the Victorian times, but even then they included an Indian prince? Wouldn't have happened back then. I hated pretty much every character, including Sebastian, and just wished for it to end every episode.
Mar 4, 2010 3:12 AM

Apr 2008
grim-creeper said:

it was just droning stupidity to the point of not even being humorous. i hope it gets better though x]
episode 4 is commonly accepted as the cutoff episode, since that's when they changed staffing and shit.

Mar 4, 2010 3:20 AM

Jul 2009
MisterSaito said:
grim-creeper said:

episode 4 is commonly accepted as the cutoff episode, since that's when they changed staffing and shit.

Yeah thanks for saying something that I already said..
あらあら。。。^^
Mar 4, 2010 3:51 AM

May 2009
guu_ said:
I think it got better after the director changed.
So thats like episode 5+

at least ive got something to look forward to.
just have to last through three less than amazing episodes and hopefully it really will get better, haha
Mar 4, 2010 4:17 AM

Dec 2009
TTGL!
Mar 4, 2010 4:19 AM

Mar 2009
Code Geass.
Shakugan no Shana.
Fate/Stay Night.
Mar 4, 2010 6:43 AM

Feb 2008
guu_ said:
MisterSaito said:
grim-creeper said:

Yeah thanks for saying something that I already said..

Obviously you don't lurk in the MOT thread otherwise you'd know that MALers like to re-post, and also can't read.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That aside Gintama is way too over-hyped. I've given it like 4 or 5 tries, and I just don't find it funny,
Mar 4, 2010 6:53 AM

Jan 2010
Sir_Lexa said:
TTGL!
What he^ said. Immensely overrated show.

Evangelion.
Mar 4, 2010 6:58 AM

Jan 2010
One Piece.

Fuck you.
Mar 4, 2010 8:19 AM

Nov 2009
Haruhi S2

/thread
Mar 4, 2010 12:08 PM

Feb 2009
Golden Boy... How can people say this is brilliant? Only good episode is last one and that's not good for an OVA with 7 eps.
Mar 4, 2010 12:15 PM

Aug 2009
Shakugan no Shana is highely overrated. Same with Bakemonogatari.
I'd say Shana is average, and Bakemono is just plain bad.

SuperKyou said:
Haruhi S2

/thread

Come on, you have to admit that Sigh was really awesome!

Oh and also Death Note!
Mar 4, 2010 12:24 PM

Aug 2009
11eyes... it look like it could turn out to be really awesome, but it didn't. :/
Mar 4, 2010 12:26 PM

Aug 2009
Rodness said:
11eyes... it look like it could turn out to be really awesome, but it didn't. :/

It's all Yuka's fault. ;__;
Mar 4, 2010 12:26 PM
Feb 2010
Air. I expected more from it, much more.
Mar 4, 2010 12:27 PM

Nov 2008
Special A.

The so-called 'twin' of Ouran. It's been on-hold forever since I've seen the first episode.
Mar 4, 2010 12:29 PM
Jun 2008
Bakemonogatari. It wasn't even fan hype, since I knew about it before it got famous. It was self-hype and SHAFT-hype. Watched it and I thought, "Huh. Well, hope you like rolling in your money, SHAFT."
Mar 4, 2010 12:34 PM

Jul 2009
Air. Surprisingly. I found very mediocre in every way compared to the rest of Kyoto's work.
"Ever-newer waters flow on those who step into the same rivers." - Heraclitus, the weeping philosopher.
Mar 4, 2010 12:37 PM

Mar 2010
Naruto.

Jul 2007
Hello, Fate/Stay Night. Also, anything where Rie Kugimiya plays a tsundere loli.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!

Feb 2005
TTGL, easily. The story was nothing special and neither were the characters. And the battles were usually too silly and exaggerated to be that awesome.

Tutu was good, but not nearly as fabulous as I had heard it would be.

Captain Harlock was also a bit of a letdown for me, especially seeing how much better Yamato was. It was still enjoyable, but the ridiculously overpowered Arcadia and the frequent random episodic content that strayed from the mission was rather silly.

I don't know whether or not Gundam Seed can really be said to be hyped seeing how it's widely regarded as crap, but it certainly disappointed me.

And of course, Code Geass was nothing but one big disappointment, especially R2.
Mar 4, 2010 12:42 PM

Apr 2009
Well... this is my kinda topic.
In no particular order...

NGE
Gankutsuou
TTGL
FLCL
Baccano!
Kara no Kyoukai (the whole series of movies)
Kaiji
Monster
Higurashi
Mar 4, 2010 12:47 PM

Jul 2009
NoblePhantasm said:
FLCL

WAT
"Ever-newer waters flow on those who step into the same rivers." - Heraclitus, the weeping philosopher.
Mar 4, 2010 12:50 PM

Feb 2009
kan-san said:
NoblePhantasm said:
FLCL

WAT

I second this WAT

FLCL is always what was hyped to be, those who don't agree should be executed.
This is NOT a democracy!
Mar 4, 2010 12:53 PM

Jul 2009
AGREED
Mar 4, 2010 1:21 PM
Jan 2009
Death note the people hat told me about said it was telling the deep side of power and death well I thouht it was going to patray deep control of death powers and how u may think u hav control of ur killing spree but slowly are losing it and he manipulatin of people but it's was good in about the first 9 episode then it got to into kira and dat girl can't remember name and how they would change the world wat I got from the begin was dat he was to do it alone and it jus sucks how he dies in the end
Mar 4, 2010 1:31 PM

Feb 2009
I don't really think that an anime can be called hyped up.When I really don't like a series,I think that the problem is mine,that I couldn't grasp it's true meaning or purpose.This is why I often struggle to decide if an anime is really bad or overrated or if it's really not my type.I had this problem with TTGL and FLCL.....from the start these two were not my type but I found them pretty good.I understand why someone would consider that ttgl and flcl are masterpieces.Well,I still have these two on my on-hold list and I was thinking that I should continue them because they are genuinely good shows,especially flcl.And I don't really know what to say about the hyped up thingie...most of the shows that I watched fulfilled my expectations in some way or another...
Urufuzu_reinMar 4, 2010 1:38 PM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Mar 4, 2010 1:42 PM
Jan 2009
Technically it's not u either u may hav a high standard for things to make sense becaze flcl really didn't mak sense even though it waz hilariuos
Mar 4, 2010 1:52 PM

Jan 2009
Shakugan no Shana
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Bakemonogatari
Shikabane Hime
Mar 4, 2010 1:55 PM

Mar 2009
Special A. I keep on trying to get on with it but it hasn't made much progress. :/
Mar 4, 2010 2:00 PM

Jul 2007
goth13-1 said:
Technically it's not u either u may hav a high standard for things to make sense becaze flcl really didn't mak sense even though it waz hilariuos

FLCL made perfect sense.
Mar 4, 2010 2:10 PM
Jan 2009
Wen I mean sense I'm talking mostly some of the characters envolvement and the whole of the series
Mar 4, 2010 2:27 PM

Jul 2008
Code Geass.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Mar 4, 2010 2:34 PM

Jul 2007
goth13-1 said:
Wen I mean sense I'm talking mostly some of the characters envolvement and the whole of the series

I reiterate, FLCL made perfect sense.
Mar 4, 2010 2:35 PM

Jun 2008
Urufuzu_rein said:
I don't really think that an anime can be called hyped up.When I really don't like a series,I think that the problem is mine,that I couldn't grasp it's true meaning or purpose.This is why I often struggle to decide if an anime is really bad or overrated or if it's really not my type.I had this problem with TTGL and FLCL.....from the start these two were not my type but I found them pretty good.I understand why someone would consider that ttgl and flcl are masterpieces.Well,I still have these two on my on-hold list and I was thinking that I should continue them because they are genuinely good shows,especially flcl.And I don't really know what to say about the hyped up thingie...most of the shows that I watched fulfilled my expectations in some way or another...

I can understand what you mean about anime like Evangelion, Bagemonogatari or even FLCL(that i found mediocre) since anime like that have there unique style and perspective and people usually love them or consider them crap because simply the meaning of that anime may not fit there character or they didn't get it because they can't or because they watched it in inappropriate conditions.
But how can that go for anime like TTGL? I don't think you can say that about those style of anime. That anime is quite simplistic. There is nothing that you don't get. Further prove is that TTGL doesn't have the love hate relationship those anime i mentioned above have. Except for those who love it other people just find it usually ok and fun but just don't understand the hype since it's not better than other thousand ok fun anime.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - 6 hours ago

12 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Does our opinions of characters reflect how we treat other people?

Zamus_Edits - 4 hours ago

5 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Most underrated anime you have seen?

HotHamlet - 3 hours ago

15 by Jipsi »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - May 11

59 by Memore »»
12 minutes ago

» Your biggest why …? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

64 by Bruh69XD »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.