Forum Settings
Forums

English Dub Cast for 'New Game!' Announced

New
Jul 14, 2017 11:26 AM

Mar 2013
FUNimation Entertainment revealed the English dub cast for Doga Kobo's New Game! via its official blog on Thursday. Clifford Chapin and Caitlin Glass are in charge of the direction, with Matt Shipman and Nikki Shults as scriptwriters. The first part of the dubbed anime will be available to stream from July 14, and the second part will be available from July 28.

Cast
Aoba Suzukaze: Megan Shipman
Kou Yagami: Michelle Rojas
Rin Tooyama: Kristen McGuire
Yun Iijima: Leah Clark
Hajime Shinoda: Tia Ballard
Umiko Ahagon: Caitlin Glass
Nene Sakura: Bryn Apprill
Shizuku Hazuki, Mozoku: Carli Mosier
Hifumi Takimoto, Sojiro: Jill Harris

New Game! adapts the 4-koma manga by Shoutarou Tokunou that has been serialized since January 2013. The first season aired in Summer 2016, and was simulcast by Crunchyroll. An unaired episode was distributed on May 3 to those who bought all six BD/DVD volumes. A second season is currently airing.

Source: Official site
Sakana-sanJul 26, 2017 12:19 PM
Jul 14, 2017 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
Funimation also said that they're dubbing season 2 as well

(season 1 will be done out before they dub season2)
Jul 14, 2017 11:42 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I'm pretty intrigued to see how this dub turns out to be.
Jul 14, 2017 1:02 PM

Oct 2016
I wonder if we will get hamfisted lines about the "patriarchy" like we did in Kobayashi-san Chi no Meidoragon. Since it's a predominately female cast, I'm sure we will get random insertions of feminism in place of lines that have nothing to do with gender. Whoever takes such liberties with the script should be fired. Funimation fucking sucks.
Jul 14, 2017 1:37 PM

Aug 2016
Jak said:
I wonder if we will get hamfisted lines about the "patriarchy" like we did in Kobayashi-san Chi no Meidoragon. Since it's a predominately female cast, I'm sure we will get random insertions of feminism in place of lines that have nothing to do with gender. Whoever takes such liberties with the script should be fired. Funimation fucking sucks.

Man, why'd you have to remind me about that? I certainly hope none of that shit happens here, but after Kobayashi-san I've lost any sort of faith or trust in Funimation dubs. And let's be honest, how often are they even well voiced acted to begin with?

Just more and more reason to always watch subs.
Jul 14, 2017 2:03 PM

Oct 2016
Drachen said:
Jak said:

Man, why'd you have to remind me about that? I certainly hope none of that shit happens here, but after Kobayashi-san I've lost any sort of faith or trust in Funimation dubs. And let's be honest, how often are they even well voiced acted to begin with?

Just more and more reason to always watch subs.
Yeah, VAs give soulless performances now a days because they are only in it for a paycheck.
Jul 14, 2017 2:19 PM

Mar 2014
Is MAL getting paid for these news? How many dub casts go unannounced? (Not that I want any announcements at all, mind you.)
Jul 14, 2017 2:21 PM

Apr 2016
Jak said:

Like seriously this happens ? what the hell.
Jul 14, 2017 2:46 PM

Oct 2016
Swagernator said:
Jak said:

Yep, and there was another time where they inserted something about that Gamergate thing into the dub of Prison School and the guy behind it gloated about it. So many anime fans were unhappy. These script writers shouldn't be taking liberties like this.
JakJul 14, 2017 5:03 PM
Jul 14, 2017 2:56 PM

Aug 2016
Swagernator said:
Jak said:

Yeah, I thought it was fake at first, but they're real. Check some of the problem dub clips on YouTube if you get the chance. They say politically charged shit that not only has no place in the source material but would actually insult the creator if he knew about it. Nearly rewriting a conversation and indirectly a character's personality just to further the interests of the screenwriter is not okay. I watch anime partly to get away from this shit that's festering in Western media.

I'm not entirely familiar with the situation, but apparently this also happened with Prison School's dub (which is hilariously out of place).
Jul 14, 2017 4:26 PM

Jun 2014
Drachen said:
I'm not entirely familiar with the situation, but apparently this also happened with Prison School's dub (which is hilariously out of place).

Yeah there was a scene where one of the main characters was talking to his senpai and she said something along the lines of "You should respect your elders," which somehow in the English dub got translated to "You're not one of those Gamergate creeps, are you?" The scene took place in an arcade so in that context the line makes sense, but taking those kinds of liberties with the dialogue is just dumb.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 14, 2017 4:29 PM
Jul 2018
Well I dont know how this will work out but regardless I wish them good luck on this one.

For the things regarding on the people behind the dub... I can't really say much aside from the most recent complaint being Kobayashi's Maid Dragon dub version regarding on few lines that apparently "contradict" prior stuff and makes the entire series what it isn't in a way.
Jul 14, 2017 4:29 PM

May 2017
NICE! Even though I still watched the subbed version, I think the dubbed version could work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Jul 14, 2017 6:09 PM

Apr 2013
Can't wait for all the le gamurgate jokes.
Jul 14, 2017 8:53 PM

Oct 2016
thebrentinator24 said:
Drachen said:

Yeah there was a scene where one of the main characters was talking to his senpai and she said something along the lines of "You should respect your elders," which somehow in the English dub got translated to "You're not one of those Gamergate creeps, are you?" The scene took place in an arcade so in that context the line makes sense, but taking those kinds of liberties with the dialogue is just dumb.
No. It did not make sense even in that context. It was some butthurt person with a political agenda destroying a line that should have translated perfectly to suit their own agenda. It was a hamfisted line that doesn't age well at all.
Jul 14, 2017 9:15 PM

Jun 2014
Jak said:
thebrentinator24 said:

No. It did not make sense even in that context. It was some butthurt person with a political agenda destroying a line that should have translated perfectly to suit their own agenda. It was a hamfisted line that doesn't age well at all.

I mostly meant the fact that it would "make sense" to reference Gamergate in a gaming environment. But I agree that overall the line didn't work and felt very out of place in the conversation, and they should have directly translated what was said in the Japanese version instead of trying to push an agenda. Like how hard is that? I could understand if the original line was something only Japanese people would get, but it's literally "respect your elders," something everyone understands regardless of the language.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 14, 2017 10:37 PM

Oct 2016
Higurashi7777 said:
Jak said:

I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but this is a problem of literally ALL DUBS. All dubs have retarded translations exactly like all games translated officially from Japanese. This is the main problem of the dubs. If you add soulless voice acting to this, then you have something totally unwatchable. That's why most of people are hating dubs from the bottom of their hearts. Dubs are made for kids or poor-minded/xenophobic people who can't accept other cultures and/or way of thinking.
That too and the irony is a lot of those people are the same kind of people who say we should "accept" other cultures. What they mean is accept culture that they find "acceptable".
Jul 14, 2017 11:48 PM

Apr 2016
I'm in shock while reading your responses guys, glad that i'm sub only watcher. I always knew that there is political correctness, sjw and soulless voice performance in dubs but this is too much.
Jul 14, 2017 11:52 PM

Feb 2015
Maybe they deliberately screw up the English dubs to push people to watch the sub. What a plot twist that would be.
Jul 15, 2017 1:33 AM
Jul 2012
Jak said:

I found it
https://twitter.com/ElysiaHeights/status/882823246114152448

Higurashi7777 said:
I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but this is a problem of literally ALL DUBS. All dubs have retarded translations exactly like all games translated officially from Japanese. This is the main problem of the dubs. If you add soulless voice acting to this, then you have something totally unwatchable. That's why most of people are hating dubs from the bottom of their hearts. Dubs are made for kids or poor-minded/xenophobic people who can't accept other cultures and/or way of thinking.

Nice! I'm going to say this when I met someone that immediately says that I'm a weeaboo just because I watch anime and plays JRPG with Japanese Dub!
Jul 15, 2017 5:02 PM

Jul 2016
Wow! The only thing that seems to be mentioned here is people's hate for dubs. I haven't watched this yet or Kobayashi dub, which many are complaining about, but I definitely don't think the majority of dubs suck, overall. I watch both subs and dubs, and both of them tend to have an equal amount of good and bad ones. Take High School DxD. I personally don't feel much passion at all coming from the Japanese cast when the English cast is showing enthusiasm left and right

The real issue here is the New Game! dub though. I'll probably give the New Game! dub a chance and I'll just hope it's good. I should probably try Kobayashi dub too.

Jul 15, 2017 6:04 PM

Nov 2012
Swagernator said:
I'm in shock while reading your responses guys, glad that i'm sub only watcher. I always knew that there is political correctness, sjw and soulless voice performance in dubs but this is too much.

1-2 minor examples of ideological-based lines inserted into a dub is "too much".

Ok.
Jul 15, 2017 7:12 PM

Jul 2014
lul people still watch dubs?
Jul 16, 2017 8:15 PM
Jun 2017
Swagernator said:
How would you know that?? You're counter arguing yourself 3 times there...
Jul 16, 2017 8:26 PM
Jun 2017
OppaiSugoi said:
lul people still watch dubs?
Well yeah... Not everyone likes screams, fake voices or breathless voice acting. That overacting make flat tires sound nice.
Jul 17, 2017 2:09 AM

Jan 2016
It's looks like a good show has a good cast and once I can get a FUNi Subscription this is definitely gonna be one of the first things I'm watching :)

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Jul 22, 2017 8:59 AM
Jun 2017
Higurashi7777 said:
Aplope said:
Well yeah... Not everyone likes screams, fake voices or breathless voice acting. That overacting make flat tires sound nice.

If it isn't a higher state of sarcasm, than I really feel bad for you.

And you'll think yourself to be a very wise guy... Get back to your cave. The Sun is too much for you.

PS. That's a metaphor. I wouldn't want your brain to overheat.
Mar 29, 6:13 AM
May 2019
Bunch of hive minded retards commenting on here back in 2017, lol

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
1 hour ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Catalano »»
2 hours ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
12 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
Yesterday, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.