Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2017 9:56 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Tempting though it is to get stuck in the past I'll start another chapter thread with a comment which might not make much sense when looking back in the future. Right now it seems like another good time to get stuck on a cover before even being able to get in to the magazine issue and the chapter itself. I'm not going to make a habit out of this but since the cover gets coverage elsewhere perhaps it is worth a general comment here too, in the general forum, as the time approaches.

Be Love 14: We get Chihaya on the cover. Solo. In yukata. Red flowers with green leaves. Right hand pointing up. Chihaya in the centre. Hair up, unadorned. She is surrounded by Tanabata celebrations/decorations. Bamboo decorated with stars. Tanzaku with written wishes - from Sumire (寝起さでも勝負でさるくらいの自まつげがほしい signed, flowery, すみれ) and from Komano (寝台列車の旅がしたいsigned 駒墅) most clearly visible in the centre of the cover, partially covering Chihaya’s hair and her left ear.
Next to Chihaya’s left hand, Kana’s tanzaku (浴衣男子女子が増えよす上うに signed 奏). Her wish is partially covered by series announcements on the right, Another tanzaku is drawn right next to it, all the way on the right a strip with only a few cut off characters- it looks like a は and other characters partially visible. Another tanzaku is also partially visible in the top Left corner of the cover - to Chihaya’s right, above her head, and partially obscured behind the B and ビー of Be Love. Text partially visible but not the signature. (?が48時間になります) is all we can tentatively decipher at this time.

Other text related to Chihayafuru:
An announcement for Volume 35, to be released August 10, 2017
A brief Chihayafuru -Musubi- film report: 映画「ちはやふる-結び-」快調撮影中
Chapter cover blurb for the contents of this upcoming chapter: 東日本予選の準決勝に臨む千早たちに、思わぬアクシデントがーー!?
Cover image:

From Be Love's twitter feed, which currently also includes preview images of story pages from this chapter:
https://twitter.com/BELOVE_henshubu/status/880572889048764416
removed-userJun 29, 2017 9:36 PM
Jun 29, 2017 7:19 AM

Oct 2012
thanks Verso kun for this! I wonder what Chihaya's wish is (probably to become number 1 in karuta, that finger makes me think that!)
Jun 29, 2017 8:20 PM
Jul 2018
chiakimagoto said:
I wonder what Chihaya's wish is (probably to become number 1 in karuta, that finger makes me think that!)
She does give this impression.

We have a decent idea what the wishes on the tanzaku written by Kana, Komano and Sumire mean and what those allude to from the story and also what their wishes say about their characters/personalities.
We’re mostly in the dark regarding the other two wishes partially obscured on this magazine cover. Who is supposed to have written them? What do those characters wish for and what do those wishes refer to from within the story? Puzzled...

The twitter feed of Be Love has preview images for the cover and first pages of this chapter, inserted with an an edit above. Based on those sample pages I can’t help but wonder, again, what role in the story - and what potential influence on Chihaya- Suetsugu-sensei has in mind for
In the upcoming karuta match he's facing quite a formidable opponent.

... puzzled (continued) ... Checking the physical magazine for what I was hoping to find for the cover didn't pan out. The tanzaku next to Kana's doesn't "wrap" around onto the spine of the magazine so the text cuts off where we see it in the online cover image copied above. The spine does have Chihaya's tiny face as seen in the cover illustration so it was still fun to check.
Something I have to keep in mind is that Suetsugu-sensei is basically a prankster and not all elements in her illustrations will reflect back from within the story and there too she sticks in what might be called "insider jokes" from the real world. Before she did it with the chocolates and in this chapter she is doing it with the a noeud~結~(アヌー) we previously saw wrapped in her Twitter feed...
Talking about snacks and chocolates... Before the chapter there is also a colour page for the Toppo collaboration campaign but, talking about knots, I was hoping for more from the set of the movie, wrapping up...
removed-userJun 30, 2017 9:54 PM
Aug 20, 2017 2:44 AM

Dec 2012
Very interesting that Taichi is shown to have gotten very much stronger by overcoming his weaknesses with a new attitude towards karuta and using techniques such as feints. The author also teases with Suou-san commenting that he would be more interested to face Taichi compared to Arata.

On the other hand, I feel that Taichi would not, and should not make it that far, and it is likely that we would see him lose soon, if not now - to Arata, as it would otherwise send a negative message to the fans as he has no love for karuta at all.
Aug 20, 2017 3:39 AM

Sep 2010
Finally a 4-chapter read for the weekend. The 184th was shorter though. As far as I remember this is the first one being less than 30 pages. Anyways looking forward to the final matches.
Aug 20, 2017 7:12 AM
Jul 2017
ClawViper said:
Very interesting that Taichi is shown to have gotten very much stronger by overcoming his weaknesses with a new attitude towards karuta and using techniques such as feints. The author also teases with Suou-san commenting that he would be more interested to face Taichi compared to Arata.

On the other hand, I feel that Taichi would not, and should not make it that far, and it is likely that we would see him lose soon, if not now - to Arata, as it would otherwise send a negative message to the fans as he has no love for karuta at all.
ClawViper said:

I agree with this. If Taichi wins this match then it would send a really bad message. I loved how Sudo-san completely turned this around on Taichi by putting the condition across that the winner has to play karuta for the rest of their lives.

And if by some chance Taichi wins and makes it to the finals, I'm hoping losing to Arata will wake him up from this state he's in!
Aug 25, 2017 1:45 PM

Oct 2012
I really think this match against Sudo will be a special milestone for Taichi to jump. He'll have to do more than just be a copycat Suou. Sudo knows alot of Suou's tricks. Suou ofcourse has the advantage of hearing that neither Sudo nor Taichi have. They have to rely on other talents.......so i think Taichi will definitely have to dig deeper into his creativeness to beat Sudo properly. Taichi is still branded with the fact that he doesn't like karuta......but is it really true? Is it really true that Suou has no love for karuta. Isn't this just an facade they are both hiding behind? I'm still truely waiting for the moment when both of them will discover and admit their love to the game.

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.