Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 24, 2006 6:10 PM

Aug 2006
Well, its over ^^

I thought the ending was pretty satisfying, and, what can I say, it was pretty depressing until the very end =P
LunaJun 2, 2017 2:56 AM
Dec 30, 2006 6:14 PM

Nov 2006
Well, I don't like it, but the manga going on and it's better than anime. ;)
-
Dec 31, 2007 12:24 PM

Mar 2007
It was great and too bad it's over...
The ending was kinda disappointing because Satou and Misaki aren't together (they don't say so anyway).

Overall it was awesome and I have the novel to read now ^^

(Oh wow, it's been exactly a year since the last post! XD)
Feb 7, 2008 4:53 PM

Jan 2008
RoadLord said:
The ending was kinda disappointing because Satou and Misaki aren't together (they don't say so anyway).

Exacly, why are almost all animé endings like this!? It's so frustrating! It's not like the creators will die from drawing a little more happieness! Or maybe the storywriters are like Satou and think it's to embarassing to write about things like them kissing or something.

When I watch animé I do it because I want to escape the depressing reallity, so make more happier endings damn it!!!

Otherwise this series was great! :P
Feb 8, 2008 4:23 AM

Aug 2007
I loved the ending- an overly happy ending wouldnt fit this anime, and this ending was pretty happy in my opinion.
Mar 2, 2008 9:57 AM

Feb 2008
It just needs a sequel!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome anime shouldnt end like this.
Mar 9, 2008 5:36 PM

Jul 2007
i did not like the end :(
Mar 11, 2008 9:43 PM

Feb 2008
It at least needs an OVA.

I mean ... COME ON

I love that anime, its in the top 5 anime I've ever seen, i tend to be drawn towards real life anime like NHK, Beck, Great teacher Onizuka...

It's anime like that, that gives the best sense of tranquility. Out of all of those i have seen, NHK was the most well done. It's saddening to see how everyone has moved on except for satou, he said it him self at the end that nothing was resolved.

It's always a bummer finishing an amazing anime like this, cause I know really good anime is hard to come by, i have list of 80 series that I have completed, and only 5 rated as 10. So You always know the next anime after this one most likely wont be as good.
archonfluxMar 11, 2008 9:46 PM
Mar 29, 2008 9:48 PM

Mar 2008
This is a really great anime with a really great storyline. The characters are amazing and it has a lot of potential! But the ending is just not as satisfying overall. There was more complexity than pleasure in this anime than any other anime i've watched.

although I enjoyed how the anime resolved itself by Satou getting a job and supporting himself, the ending should atleast end with a relationship... ><;

Sigh, i guess i'll go use my imagination or something... or read fanfictions!!! OR MAYBE THE MANGA IS BETTER! =D
Apr 5, 2008 5:05 PM

Nov 2007
The ending was so-so for me.

Postive - For having a unique "stopping a girl from commiting suicide" scene,which was really funny

Negative - I can't believe they just ditched the love happening between Satou and Chiaki.I mean,of course they should have progressed it after that kissing scene(which did not happen).
Apr 6, 2008 9:39 PM

Jan 2008
whitewater_81 said:
I can't believe they just ditched the love happening between Satou and Chiaki.I mean,of course they should have progressed it after that kissing scene(which did not happen).

Does that happen in the manga ...?
Apr 11, 2008 3:50 PM

Feb 2008
watched 24 eps withing 24 hours, just couldnt help my self to see how the story evolves. Liked this anime very much, cant very much describe it with words :)

But! at least give us a kiss ffs :p i so wanted those 2 to get together, the ending ep was good but could have been perfect, hope they make an ova or else im gonna have to pick up another manga to read :/ (i almost didnt read any when i first joined this site :p )
Apr 17, 2008 7:27 PM

Jan 2008
great anime. definitely one of the best written that i've seen. and i bear your torments as well, i really wish they could have ended it with a conclusion that adds more... conclusion, i guess. either way, it was a great watch.

for those wondering about the manga, it starts out pretty tight-knit with the anime up until chapters 7-9, where it slowly starts taking things out of order and adding in new events that didn't happen in the anime.

also, in comparison to the manga, the anime is a slice of cake. the depression you see Satou and the other characters undergo is at least twice as bad in the manga. they don't sugar-coat it all like in the anime.

the ending i found even less satisfying, but it's overall very will written and drawn. Satou's, Yamazaki's and Mizaki's expressions are far more distorted and hilarious.

anyways, that was my two cents worth.
Apr 19, 2008 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
Excellent anime, and an equally excellent and fitting ending. 8/10
Apr 21, 2008 7:30 AM

Jul 2007
SunSir said:
It just needs a sequel!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome anime shouldnt end like this.

So maybe it's going to happend some day. :)
Apr 21, 2008 10:00 PM

Jan 2008
I hope the "scene creator" watched Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho Ending.
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=2602
May 6, 2008 7:41 PM

Dec 2007
The ending was a bit disappointing i would expected it to be better but over all I really think this was a good series
May 12, 2008 5:07 AM

Mar 2008
it definately needs some ending.... like a reunion or something.... at least after 10 years... just so that this anime have some answered questions
May 22, 2008 7:11 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
why don't you guys accept open endings. I just LOVE open endings that NEVER get resolved. The main point of the anime is made within 24 episodes. There is ABSOLUTELY NO points in making a sequel. That is why I like short series, exquisite and never stretched.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 21, 2008 6:10 PM
Oct 2007
Great anime, I thought that maybe masika and satou would be together which was a little disappointing but it was still a good ending. Might read the manga soon. =D
Aug 10, 2008 6:52 AM

Aug 2008
kn1155 said:
Great anime, I thought that maybe masika and satou would be together which was a little disappointing but it was still a good ending. Might read the manga soon. =D

Only a big -dito =D
Awesome anime! x33
Aug 17, 2008 4:08 AM

Apr 2008
They should have ended it with Satou catching Misaki and tweak it a little bit. I hated how they continued the scene.

Anyway I should have given it 9 but because I was disappointed with the ending, giving me a big "HUH?" expression, I'll be giving it an 8.

Sep 12, 2008 10:29 PM

Jun 2008
the ending was half good,i hate it when they make an open ending

maybe i will read the manga in the future,but overall it was a nice series

Sep 19, 2008 1:12 PM

Sep 2008
The ending probably would have been perfect for me if they had hugged at that last moment right before fade to black.

Also, what the hell was up with Satou spontaneously deciding to jump like that? I think they just needed to fill some time. They could have better used that time to build up the tension of the chase between Misaki and Satou.

Higurashi: Retroactively asserting why scary and cute sound so similar in Japanese.
Sep 19, 2008 3:41 PM

Jul 2007
read the manga before this actually. hmm come to think of it, i think i forgot how the manga ended already.

still, it was a pretty good ending. like some people said, at least a kiss wouldve made this better, but it is still a 10/10 for me. almost cried in the last two eps. took all my willpower not to XD

-sigh- i wish i had a misaki again. i could totally understand where she was coming from(with helping other people etc)
Sep 23, 2008 4:16 PM

Jul 2008
One year on and I've rewatched the series. It was time I updated this post. My last post was kind of stupid, as a kiss would have obviously been out of place and signs of love were shown, just subtly. However, I still think the ending was unsatisfying. I felt it just didn't seem finished and had a long way to go. Probably because I've now read the manga and can see how much is missing. I also didn't like how the last part of the series doesn't really stay true to the characters, especially Yamazaki. I don't really like Misaki's whole tragic backstory in the anime now I've read the manga either. From an anime perspective only though, the series was pretty damn awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to give it a nine out of ten. However, I think the manga is far superior.
ToukaSep 22, 2009 11:36 AM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Sep 26, 2008 1:37 PM

Sep 2008
Touka said:
RoadLord said:

I agree. Atleast it was a happy ending, but during the last episode I was continiously going "alright now kiss, or hug, or just hold hands... please be together!"

I enjoyed the series a great deal, but I really wanted a 'and they lived happily ever after' ending since the rest of the anime was quite depressing. I think it will miss a place in my top five because of the ending. I watched the entire anime in three days, I was addicted, but the end just doesn't entirely satisfy me. If only Misaki and Satou got together! Or atleast showed some signs of love. Then it would have been perfect. They needed to kiss, hug or atleast hold hands! That had to happen, but unfortunately it didn't.

Actually, forget what I said earlier. The rest of the series was just so great it can replace Peacemaker in my top five favourites. Watching a few AMVs helped me decide. The ending still didn't satisfy me though!

I thought it was satisfying. The scene when they were inside Misaki's abandoned house was done masterfully and fully conveyed the feeling of "there were only the two of them in the universe". Personally, squizing a kiss in there would have been out of place.
Oct 10, 2008 11:04 PM

May 2008
anticlimatic, much?
I didn't like this ending. I give the anime a 9, because the entire series was great, ASIDE FROM the ending.

Oct 11, 2008 2:26 PM

Mar 2008
I finished the anime today after a week of watching. Really good anime. I felt it was very sad and i couldn't help to feel bad about Misaki and Satou. I wanted them to be happy, but it seems like their life will progress as usual. I too, like the most others also hoped for a kiss or a sign of happy love. Gave it a 9/10, but im also being kind. It felt like something between 8 and 9. It would have been a definite 9 if it would have ended better and if they would have gone deeper about the cause of becoming hikikomori.

Does the manga go further than the anime?
Strife91Oct 11, 2008 2:29 PM
Oct 14, 2008 3:04 PM

Apr 2008
Loved the series, 9/10 but ill give the ending 7.5/10 =)
Nov 1, 2008 7:40 PM

Jun 2008
sunshinesan said:
Personally, squizing a kiss in there would have been out of place.

true
i like the relationship between the two, and i think its best without a kiss
but the ending was a little lacking

Nov 18, 2008 6:56 PM
Dec 2007
I dunno what you guys expected. I think it was rather satisfying. While it's not outright said they are a couple, it's implied they have a tight relation. She's still rather young you know, so I found it rather tastefull that he's playing the waiting game. It will certainly score big points with her family.

Plus, the solution to future problems was quite peculiar. It ensures they think things through before giving up and offing themselves. Unless they decide to do kill themselves together that is.

Dec 9, 2008 11:19 PM

Jan 2008
I loved almost everything about this anime and one of them is how the characters stay true to who they are and don't go through drastic personality changes. Satou is not a person to do revolutionary things all of a sudden. He's slow and kind of a timid person so the ending and his relationship with Misaki at that point is really how it should be. It's believable and suits the theme of the anime perfectly. 9/10 for this great anime.
Dec 31, 2008 1:48 PM

Aug 2008
personally i think this open ending was quite good, while Satou is hardly cured he is definately better off than he was at episode 1, has made some dramatic self realizations and his outlook for his future and his relationship with Misaki looks quite positive.

excellent series, definately one id be willing to rewatch
Jan 7, 2009 4:32 PM

Sep 2008
Touka said:
RoadLord said:

I agree. Atleast it was a happy ending, but during the last episode I was continiously going "alright now kiss, or hug, or just hold hands... please be together!"

I enjoyed the series a great deal, but I really wanted a 'and they lived happily ever after' ending since the rest of the anime was quite depressing. I think it will miss a place in my top five because of the ending. I watched the entire anime in three days, I was addicted, but the end just doesn't entirely satisfy me. If only Misaki and Satou got together! Or atleast showed some signs of love. Then it would have been perfect. They needed to kiss, hug or atleast hold hands! That had to happen, but unfortunately it didn't.

Actually, forget what I said earlier. The rest of the series was just so great it can replace Peacemaker in my top five favourites. Watching a few AMVs helped me decide. The ending still didn't satisfy me though!

Technically, that contract that was signed at the very end of the series was kind of a "Let's be together forever" kind of thing. Since Satou signed it, it shows that he actually likes Misaki. (Not to mention he actually said that he likes her when he was running off the cliff). It's obvious Misaki likes Satou so the relationship IS there and they ARE together. As for hugs/kisses, the scene in the house is plenty cause its basically a night-long hug so its fine. Seems like a very happy ending to me.

Only thing that the ending was lacking in my opinion was that the game Yamazaki and Satou made didn't sell. Would have been a better ending if it did...but oh well.
Jan 9, 2009 7:19 AM

Nov 2008
Like a lot of people have said, a kiss scene or just a better embrace than usual would have been a good way to end it, but the way it did end just implied that they needed eachother. It's obviously such a non-sexual relationship, adding a more romantic scene might have ruined it - when Satou shouted out that he loved her on the cliff that was just to try and stop her, it didn't seem like he meant love in that romantic sense. It was fine as an ending and does leave people wondering if anything else will be made to conclude the story, which is a good thing for an anime.
Get a life and stop reading my signature...
Jan 15, 2009 9:12 AM

Nov 2007
I would have loved to seem them further exploring the psychologically coherent and smart approach of two psychically wounded people healing each other through social interaction and an affectionate relationship. However, they completely dropped the idea somewhere in the middle of the series.
Instead we got to see other crazy people and their problems while Misaki turned slowly into a side character. Satou who was head over heels suddenly treated her indifferent and in the last few episodes (espeically on new years eve) behaved like a total prick. At the end they didn't go anywhere with the two and it seemed like we got stuck with the your typical frustrating anime situation where the status quo remains and anything even slightly romantic would cause death from nosebleed.
Very dissatisfying.
Jan 23, 2009 5:01 AM

Mar 2008
pandaman0529 said:
sunshinesan said:
Personally, squizing a kiss in there would have been out of place.

true
i like the relationship between the two, and i think its best without a kiss
but the ending was a little lacking

I agree,
a kiss wouldnt have fit with the scene but I feel the last episodes wasnt very giving, I'm dissappointed.
Jan 23, 2009 8:52 PM

Dec 2007
satisfying anime just to say it but come on, not even a kiss in all the series, sato is just plain stupid

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Jan 25, 2009 8:05 PM

Oct 2008
That was great! ^^ And since they just published the manga here, too i'll probably read it =)

Mhh needs more Real-Life Anime like GTO and this one... o.o/
Social-problems...you always find a point in which you can identify yourself.....GTO was the first manga which influenced my RL and changed my mind and behavior in some situations..i guess i'll take something from this anime, too...
Feb 8, 2009 2:19 AM
Mar 2008
I don't know what to rate this anime.

Let's start with a base of 5.
+3 for strong characters
+3 for well done drama
+2 for some decent comedy moments
+2 for being realistic in most situations
-1 for the annoying personifications of his mind(furniture coming to life)
-1 for bad animation/drawings at times
-2 for forgetting the romance in the beginning and at the end not resolving it.
-2 for a entire worthless middle, the game section, company section, and brother section, all felt added on, and basically by the time it was over everyone seemed to forget his crush on Misaki. It helped him get over his neet a bit, but that could easily have been handled by Misaki. They teased us with the almost kiss in the beginning and went with the "screw you anifags we aren't going to do anything with this"

so 9 overall? Kinda feel like it should be around a 6 because of the ending but it wouldnt be fair to rate it down that low due to the middle and final ending sequence
Feb 16, 2009 5:16 AM

Jan 2008
The ending was lacking but the rest of the series was brilliant.
Mar 10, 2009 10:57 AM

Feb 2008
my take? insane people who know their predicament trying to act sane.

essentially this anime is:
you either work eat live and die...
or dont work starve and die...

two roads that lead to the same end. ultimately it doesn't matter what you are or what you become. everything in life is just a distraction; ropes used to bind you to life so that you may delay your inevitable death. this is why i have great respect for people who commit suicide(not those who take others with them, those are lowest kind of human). either you experience things that ultimately lead you to that action, or you overcome your need to live, even though you know you will eventually die. both are extremely difficult to achieve, although no one really strives for them.

well although the romance bit was butchered and then thrown out, since they didn't pursue any interests on all the characters i think that kind of ending is fair.
Mar 10, 2009 10:15 PM

Nov 2008
Such a strong series, with such a weak ending. Not sure what to make of it... Maybe they were going for realism and the whole "gradual recovery" thing, but dammit I at least wanted a kiss. Gah!

8/10. Had potential and some great characters, but spent a bit too much time on comedy and misplaced some of the focus on arcs/continuity (the whole FFXI/Pyramid Scheme thing could have been much shorter).
Mar 14, 2009 10:01 AM
Dec 2008
I think the ending was extremely touching. Why would you want to see a kiss? That'd pretty much ruin everything.
Mar 16, 2009 3:15 PM

Nov 2008
I'm not of the opinion that closure should always be shunned to achieve a good ending. I know some people love open-endedness and when it's used well I appreciate it too. But the ending here just felt thrown away, not touching. At least to me.

There's such a build up in the first half of the series, and then they just drop it for not good reason really.

Can't have a 100% perfect anime I guess...

/shrug
Mar 16, 2009 11:39 PM
Dec 2008
theres a very good reason for that

watch it again

although, admittedly, the manga is better
Mar 17, 2009 2:20 AM
Mar 2008
No way in hell i'd watch it again. And frankly the manga ending is utter trash compared to the trash anime end. So it's even below that.

But as i posted earlier, like 9 eps of filler, and the first halfs plot forgotten is just shoddy writing.
Mar 19, 2009 3:59 PM
Sep 2008
Wow, this was a very good anime. Glad I watched it. I loved the open ending, I can now imagine what happens afterwards. This was a very realistic anime, and it gave us a very realistic ending. Loved it, glad we got closure on Senpai and Yamazaki <3
Mar 19, 2009 4:04 PM

Sep 2008
I think the ending was fully satisfying, the story which revolves around love, existentialism and fatalism bound everything together very beautifully at the end by both of them willing to give up thier lives if it meant a life without the other but to find thier reasons to live, each other, can there be any superior love if your willing to die for your love? No, in my opinion there can't, thier feelings alone justified any lack of physical intimacy.

The middle of the series at the time seemed abit fillerish but they became understandable in the end, reflecting satou's progress both forward and backwards and his inner insecurity which built up the end climax, Ive never been in so high spirits about an ending as this one, truly a masterpiece.
10/10, undoubtly one of the better tens.
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarkBlue - Feb 7, 2008

113 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Welcome to the NHK Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kie_ - Sep 4, 2008

114 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 3:08 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Juliab - Mar 7, 2008

164 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Welcome to the NHK Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Aug 20, 2008

123 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:23 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkBlue - Feb 6, 2008

215 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.