Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 25, 2017 10:45 AM

Oct 2015
This one's pretty simple, what are your favorite character designs? Which are the coolest and why?
Also, which are the weirdest?

I'll post my own answer in the replies
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 25, 2017 10:49 AM

Sep 2015
I mean maybe it's because he is from one of my all time fav shows but Hisoka has quite a cool design.

I can't really figure out other reasons than that he looks "cool" or his appearance fits his personality perfectly.
May 25, 2017 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
My favorite design is Ononoki's, why? Because she is objectively the best, I do not need to explain shit.
May 25, 2017 10:53 AM

Oct 2014
Look at how cool Accelerator's design is.
May 25, 2017 10:54 AM

Jul 2013
Let's see:

The designs of Katanagatari are really good, but really good. Like I said in a post some weeks ago, it looks like if the characters were especifically designed to fit the show. The simplistic, yet at the same time detailed designs are a delight to watch, and the color palette feels right and fitting. Also, all the important characters looks unique, from the Maniwas with those flamboyant costumes, to Emonzaemon with his suit and mask, to Togame, with her white hair and red eyes, who is, imo, one of the most pleasant designs I have ever watched in an anime.
She is just a treat to watch.
The eyes of the characters are also noteworthy to mention, because how diverse and unique they look. That thing also made the characters have more personality, like if every one of them was unique and unrepeatable.

The Monogatari Series has a lot of designs I love, but I will mention only two. The first is Kiss-Shot (yes, Kiss-Shot, not Shinobu), because her design it's just great. She is not only hot, but her dress fits her design eprfectly, she has the vibes of being one of those old-school, ruthless vampires, and she also has an air of respect and might to her, like if you shouldn't mess with her (who makes her debut in Kizumonogatari very ironic)
And there is Kaiki. I'm a sucker for villains wearing suits. I'm an even bigger sucker for villains who waers suits and have a cool design alongside it. And Kaiki fits this. Apart of his suit, his pale skin, his baggy eyes, that devilesque hairstyle... I love the gloomy feeling Kaiki gives in every one of his appearence (who is even enhanced by his great leitmotif and the dispassionate performance of his voice actor), is like if he was a grave digger, and fits his sinister, conman persona to a T. Posibbly one of the best designed villains ever made.

OP already mentioned Fate, and, yes, Fate has a lot of awesome charatcer designs, but my favourite one is obviously the one of my boy GARcher.
Everything in this fucker screams badass, from his armor, to his red sleeves, to his boots, to his white hair, to that dark skin, to his expressions, everything. It's one of those character designs whom I fall in love at the first sight in the first scene he appeared. I knew I would like him since his first appearence, and, oh, boy, if I was right.

Just like Fate, Magi is full of badass designs, and I would spend hours describing how badass they are, so I will mention the one I like the most, who is Kougyoku's one.
I love both her normal outfit and her Djinn Equip mode. Her standard outfit it's just so cute and adorable, her hair color it's good, and the clothes she wars makes her look fluffy and shy.
Then you have the Djinn Equip, who looks really badass and gives her a beautiful blue hair.
Simply wonderful.

Speaking of villain with suits, Kira from JoJo is another great example. This man might me a hand-fetishistic serial killer, but Hell if he doesn't knows how to dress well. Unlike Kaiki, Kira instead is an stylish man with a very good sense of fashion. In a world when characters wears the most flamboyant clothes ever imagined (coughFugocough), Kira stands out as probably the most stylish out of them all.
Then he gets the Bite the Dust design, when he manages to combine JoJo's ridiculous hairstyles with his fashionable persona, with fitting results.

But I don't want to limit myself to human-like characters only. Evangelion, by example, has one of the best designs of both mechas and monsters I have ever seen in an anime (along with Claymore). The Unit 01 is the most badass-looking Mecha I've ever seen.
The color palette is good, the humanoid but at the same time inhumane aspect makes it looks intimidating, that dinosaur-like head is awesome, and that without talking about it Berserk mode. What an intimidating fucker.
The Mass Produced Evas are also well-designed. They manage to draw well the line between cool and creepy as hell, with that angelesque aspect, mixed with those grinning and manacing mouths. The result overall is like if they were vicious birds of prey.
The Angels are no slouch in this either. Every one of them is unique, strange, sometimes badass, sometimes scary, and sometimes... even adorable. They were very awesome overall.

I could pass hours talking about designs I like, but I think the ones I mentioned are enough.
May 25, 2017 10:56 AM

Jan 2016
Too many to list, i will just say that Alita is my favorite android. The design from the 1990 manga, the author decided to fuck up the artstyle in the sequel.

May 25, 2017 10:58 AM
we back

Aug 2015
Idk why but I love Madara in Six Paths mode, I think he looks pretty cool.

May 25, 2017 10:59 AM

Jul 2016
One word: JoJo! I son't think anything can really beat Araki's character design abilities.

May 25, 2017 11:00 AM

Jul 2016
Don't click on this if you haven't seen/read Akira. Also go see/read Akira.

May 25, 2017 11:01 AM

Oct 2015
some of the coolest for me would be:
takkun from flcl, because he embodies that rebellious sort of careless spirit and the chilldish yet unintentionally cool style. though haruko would have to at least get a mention here too. that bass guitar wielding alone gets her massive points;
ryuko matoi in her casual clothes (college jacket, skirt, high tops), cause it has a very retro yet 2cool4skool look and also her look in episode 19 but i can't get too much into that because spoilers, i will say i loved it for the retro rebellious look;
speaking of: ryouma nagare from getter robo armageddon, i specifically like this adaptation of him, it looks very ragged, tough and retro gar. plus i really dig that hairstyle (that i'm pretty sure inspired matoi's look);
kyouko sakura's casual look because that she's both cool and cute + moe fang;
muten roshi is rad as f for me, i think that extremely laid back design fits him perfectly considering how much of a true master he embodied in the original dragon ball;
alexander anderson (from hellsing and hellsing ultimate), because i love the twist on religious representative look;
koto from kyousou giga is a another cool combination of cool meets cute and the red eyes are the perfect touch for this apparently innocent looking giant hammer smashing heroine.
cocona and papika from flip flappers have pretty unique and very eye-catching designs that i feel also reflect their personalities and work amazingly in animation
and others. these are just a few examples

in terms of weird designs:
many character with those big round lips automatically go here because they look so ridiculous that it breaks immersion; i mean why do they have those giant lips, how do other characters even see them? what the f is going on
ron (was that his name?) from gurren lagann, i know it's imaishi's thing to draw characters in such ways (taking inspiration from older anime), but this one in particular just looks unappealing and more like a reject than anything else, what's going on with his frog eyes anyway;
the titans from attack on titan, i know it's supposed to be creepy but it's more like weirdly amusing.
sshigechi from jjba. this is not the first, nor the last time araki will make a very weird looking character without any explanation
speaking of.. what's with polpo? why? how? WHY?
etc
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 25, 2017 11:06 AM

Mar 2013
From Recent Anime. I would say Gunpuku no Himegimi from Re:Creators has a cool design imo

But my All-Time favourite is probably Mikoto Suoh from K Project and Mumei from Kabaneri
May 25, 2017 11:08 AM

Apr 2016
I think the character designs from Kobayashi-san are more cute than cool. But still, KyoAni knows how to design their characters.

I think Re-L from Ergo Proxy also looks very cool

Now that I'm watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, I can see why everyone loves it so much. So, all the character designs in JoJo are cool and unique.
Manyaa_-May 25, 2017 11:52 AM
May 25, 2017 11:09 AM

Jan 2017
clockwork planet ln

no game no life

trinity seven characters
May 25, 2017 11:20 AM

Aug 2016
Too many to try and think who has the coolest, but off the top of my head,

Guts (might say he's #1):

(Not the best picture and I'm not sure if we can use manga designs instead)
May 25, 2017 11:31 AM

Dec 2016
Some of my favorites.

Ichigo's Final Getsuga Tenshou. It was a shame it didnt last long.

Erza Scarlet. All of her Requips were great looking.

Sinbad from the magi series. All of his djinn equips were phenomenal.

Alucard from hellsing ultimate had a badass character design.

All of the character designs in Kuroko no Basket were great too.
May 25, 2017 11:34 AM

Jun 2016
Nichijou (I love the character design here, like every one of them are so freaking kawaii)

Shingeki no Kyojin (C'mon, we're talking about SNK, so look at them characters even the titans look good. Hahaha!)

And look at this gorgeous man.

Death Parade (Ugh. That dark-themed characters? Beautiful. And those eyes? Omfg so fucking gorgeous.)

Just look at this beautiful man's eyes. Ugh. Ugh.

Of course, Nona's. Glorious.

I find Mitsudomoe's character design cool too because of them cheeks. Haha!

Lastly, Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon.

That's all for now! :)
TheDoggoneGirlMay 25, 2017 11:39 AM

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
May 25, 2017 11:47 AM

Feb 2016
mfw I see this thread and answers:

Anyway, I like most Naruto character designs. Afro Samurai and Mugen also are kinda unique and cool. I have some of my fav/funny designs in fav chars cause I couldnt decide otherwise.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

May 25, 2017 12:08 PM
May 2017
I would say Last Exile's, just because I love it so much.

About a year ago someone recommended me this weird one, called Simoun, that turned out to be very good. The characters in this are just, urgh, Gorgeous, so much so that I can't get it out of my head since I watched it.

I think those are very beautiful character designs ^_^
May 25, 2017 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
I think there's no competition when it comes to this aesthetic.
May 25, 2017 1:04 PM

Jun 2014
Thread locked for simple listing.

Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion; e.g. random "xx vs. yy", picture collecting, simple listing, etc.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 30 minutes ago

8 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 24 minutes ago

2 by alshu »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

39 by Fancyjasper »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

227 by Adnash »»
8 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.