Jan 2017
-POST HAS BEEN MANUALLY REMOVED BY USER-
MeguminDarknessJul 5, 2019 4:42 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 24, 2017 3:57 PM

Oct 2014
I'm using gentoo
There isn't any alternative for Photoshop though you have to have it
and wine has lots of hiccups so it's not recommended. Wine works for only 10 or 8+ years old games etc. or else you'll need to manually patch it. You need to check which components you need in order to properly launch the program you're gonna use even then it's not guaranteed to work.
Apr 24, 2017 4:25 PM

Jul 2015
ive used opensuse & ubuntu
wan to try manjaro maybe on next pc build
as fo photoshoppings alternative. used krita
!
Apr 24, 2017 5:08 PM

Jan 2013
There is no replacement for Photoshop. None. Absolutely zero.

That said, I really wish there was since I hate relying on Microshit's OS just because I'm a gamer and do graphic design. When the fuck is the industry gonna agree on a flavour of Linux and make the shift? Too bad they would sooner shift to Macintosh.
Apr 24, 2017 5:47 PM

Mar 2014
I use ubuntu and arch linux primarily. The two are polar opposites when it comes to accessibility so I appreciate being able to switch gear depending on how lazy I'm feeling.

I agree that there is no real alternative to PS. Sucks that Adobe is a little bitch about Linux.
Apr 24, 2017 7:10 PM

Mar 2008
What do you use Photoshop for though? Drawing or photo manipulation or both? If it's drawing do you use a tablet? That would help people answer if you clarified what you need.

There is an online version of Photoshop in beta.
https://edex.adobe.com/en/projectphotoshopstreaming

This tells you how stable various Photoshop versions are on WINE
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17

I don't use Linux because it would not work for me as a primary operating system. I would use Qubes or something as a second or third system.

Syrup- said:
That said, I really wish there was since I hate relying on Microshit's OS just because I'm a gamer and do graphic design. When the fuck is the industry gonna agree on a flavour of Linux and make the shift? Too bad they would sooner shift to Macintosh.

I've heard some one and two year old articles about a Windows engineer claiming the OS could go open source. In the past that was inconceivable since it makes most their revenue but I looked into their revenue and apparently that isn't even true. The OS made only 15.8% of their revenue from 2015 but their server tools and Microsoft Office both top that individually and all other profits aside from those also top it. Combine that with how they gave Window 10 for free for a while which wouldn't be offset by the ads they injected into the OS and it actually seems possible they might go that direction. If that was the case then users could eventually fix and fork Windows. Although it's also possible they might go the route of a cloud based operating system which seems like what they are heading for in how they are running their business right now with forced updates and little control of what you do and not as much privacy.
https://www.wired.com/2015/04/microsoft-open-source-windows-definitely-possible/
https://revenuesandprofits.com/how-microsoft-makes-money-understanding-microsoft-business-model/

As for Linux well there is more games being ported to it than in the past because of SteamOS being Linux based, right? I could only really see a mass program support of Linux if i was a commercial backed distribution of it. The only one that I'm aware of that is the most popular among average people is Ubuntu. So if Ubuntu is good in handling of certain programs and games and if people drop Microsoft in mass that is when you might see more a shift I would suspect.It also would have to gain more users than at least MacOSX but oddly Mac isn't that far ahead of Linux yet they still get more support. Of course though as you can see Windows towers over as a huge majority of users so that is hard to compete with. You get this because of the whole concept of a competitive market.
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
traedApr 24, 2017 7:29 PM
Apr 24, 2017 10:02 PM

Jan 2013
I don't need a For Dummies guide of Linux flavours. SteamOS isn't effective enough. If something solid like Ubuntu would actually gain real traction, forcing industry giants like AMD and Radeon to ditch Windows, and Adobe to hop over the fence, it would happen. The way Microsoft has everyone's balls in a vice grip means it's never going to happen.

When the people who want to ditch Microsoft like a deadbeat husband can't switch because Linux still has their dick in the 90s, you know it's never gonna happen.
Apr 24, 2017 10:23 PM

Aug 2016
The two Linux distributions I have the most extensive histories with involve Ubuntu and Linux Mint, over a wide range of versions. Casual, I know, but I've found using them both comfortable in their own respects, and they were able to suit all of my non-gaming purposes well.

Puppy Linux is a pretty lightweight system I've used to debug and fix various Windows installations whenever I had issues. Just pop the disc in and you can get to work easily.

Syrup- said:
There is no replacement for Photoshop. None. Absolutely zero.

I can't agree with this any more. Microsoft's basically holding a good percentage of its user base hostage because of its monopolization of various industries. I cannot wait for the day (that is, assuming it's not a pipe dream) that we might actually see Linux become a suitable platform for anything graphical. I find it difficult it difficult to believe it wont happen at some point, especially considering how Windows is continuing to degrade in quality.
Apr 25, 2017 12:19 AM

Mar 2008
Syrup- said:
I don't need a For Dummies guide of Linux flavours. SteamOS isn't effective enough. If something solid like Ubuntu would actually gain real traction, forcing industry giants like AMD and Radeon to ditch Windows, and Adobe to hop over the fence, it would happen. The way Microsoft has everyone's balls in a vice grip means it's never going to happen.

When the people who want to ditch Microsoft like a deadbeat husband can't switch because Linux still has their dick in the 90s, you know it's never gonna happen.

It wasn't necisarily just for you it was detailed for others in the thread reading too and I was speculating with details to better explain what i meant. Yeah I wasn't implying SteamOS would have a major influence just that it had some and was just trying to point out the small amount of improvement of support status.. I guess the best way to figure out how to make Microsoft not have as much control is to know how it got where there to begin with and either undo that or what cant be undone just used with Linux. Im not actually sure all they did but I know one. Ironically I think an old case they lost where Microsoft tried to do basically the same thing Apple did succeed in doing and legally tie the OS to their own brand of computers is part of why it got big. If they did tie it to certain hardware more people would be using Linux or some other major OS would be floating around.
Apr 25, 2017 12:28 AM

Apr 2013
I've been using Ubuntu for about 8 years now, tried a bunch of different distributions like openSUSE and Fedora but always returned back to Ubuntu. It just works and I don't have to worry about stuff not working correctly. Will probably switch to Kubuntu next year since they will drop Unity and I dislike GNOME Shell.

I used Photoshop before switching to Linux, but I'm using GIMP now. While I'm not even close to being a professional, GIMP works just as well and sometimes even better for me.
Apr 25, 2017 12:32 AM

Jan 2013
traed said:
Syrup- said:

It wasn't necisarily just for you it was detailed for others in the thread reading too and I was speculating with details to better explain what i meant. Yeah I wasn't implying SteamOS would have a major influence just that it had some and was just trying to point out the small amount of improvement of support status.. I guess the best way to figure out how to make Microsoft not have as much control is to know how it got where there to begin with and either undo that or what cant be undone just used with Linux. Im not actually sure all they did but I know one. Ironically I think an old case they lost where Microsoft tried to do basically the same thing Apple did succeed in doing and legally tie the OS to their own brand of computers is part of why it got big. If they did tie it to certain hardware more people would be using Linux or some other major OS would be floating around.
The only way the balance would shift is if

1. all computers were shipped with an agreed on linux OS like Ubuntu and similar
2. the programs that were shipped with it were effortless to transfer workspace and document data and experience to
3. Photoshop were 100% compatible with the agreed on linux OS.
4. the OS sells out and integrates modern luxuries such as cloud storage which every normie nuts over these days

It's 100% possible for Linux to become the leading platform if an operating system that was basically Windows 10's hot older sister was created.

I would literally drop Windows right now if I heard that Linux had native support for Photoshop the Adobe Suite and my entire gaming library without shit like GPU passthroughs and emulation which is basically a hassle to deal with when you're comparing it to the "it just works" natural rhythm that Windows already has establsihed.
Apr 25, 2017 1:34 AM

Mar 2008
Syrup- said:
The only way the balance would shift is if

1. all computers were shipped with an agreed on linux OS like Ubuntu and similar
2. the programs that were shipped with it were effortless to transfer workspace and document data and experience to
3. Photoshop were 100% compatible with the agreed on linux OS.
4. the OS sells out and integrates modern luxuries such as cloud storage which every normie nuts over these days

It's 100% possible for Linux to become the leading platform if an operating system that was basically Windows 10's hot older sister was created.

I would literally drop Windows right now if I heard that Linux had native support for Photoshop the Adobe Suite and my entire gaming library without shit like GPU passthroughs and emulation which is basically a hassle to deal with when you're comparing it to the "it just works" natural rhythm that Windows already has establsihed.

Yeah it's not too likely to take Windows place but maybe if Window 10 flops hard enough something would change a bit. Although second most OS isn't exactly a flop though even though there are a lot of complaints so that would take time to find out if it steers people away. I have seen computers come with Ubuntu as the standard but usually they are usually low end ones so they would think Linux isnt good for higher demanding tasks. What if someone tries to build a Linux distribution with future use of popular proprietary software in mind while programming it to optimize that sort of thing along with some of what you said ? Although that would be difficult to do I would imagine since it would take guesswork in some of the internals of hidden code and then youd have to somehow gain a large userbase which would mean it would have to go beyond just potential.

I know what makes Windows undesirable with the moves Microsoft has been making but what makes Linux more desirable than MacOSX aside from Linux being more easily installed on any computer while making a Hackintosh is more difficult and a Mac computer is high priced? Does Linux have more potential over MacOS in how it functions or is it all mostly about the stuff I mentioned in the previous sentence or is it just about it being open source? If it is just the later wouldn't it still make sense to want MacOS to become a bigger lead in program and game support over Windows since it's more likely than Linux and because it's core is open sourced (or at least partially I think). Because of that it should be not as difficult to make programs and games from MacOSX work well on something like FreeBSD than it would be to make Windows 7-10 programs and games work well on Linux? I mean that is more realistic of a possibility, wouldn't it be? I'm just theorizing here though.
Apr 25, 2017 10:14 AM
Jan 2017
MeguminDarknessJul 5, 2019 4:42 AM
Apr 25, 2017 11:15 AM

Mar 2014
ls0023987 said:
Honestly, If Microsoft releases another version of windows in the future and I haven't already dropped windows, I would drop it for muh privacy.

Yea, Microsoft seems to be going in a very bad direction for consumers. Hopefully a surge of people will jump ship to the Linux side when it happens. Relying on my W10 installation for videogames and other software support is infuriating.
Apr 25, 2017 11:49 AM
Jan 2017
MeguminDarknessJul 5, 2019 4:43 AM
Apr 25, 2017 1:35 PM

Jun 2014
Gator said:
I used Photoshop before switching to Linux, but I'm using GIMP now. While I'm not even close to being a professional, GIMP works just as well and sometimes even better for me.

Agreed. GIMP does everything I need it to do. Most Photoshop users who hate on GIMP are just lazy, because they don't want to learn where everything in GIMP is located, because the layout is different than Photoshop.

Apr 25, 2017 3:46 PM

Jan 2013
Seiya said:
Gator said:

Agreed. GIMP does everything I need it to do. Most Photoshop users who hate on GIMP are just lazy, because they don't want to learn where everything in GIMP is located, because the layout is different than Photoshop.
There's nothing lazy about wanting an organized, uncluttered work space that can handle anything you throw at it. GIMP is a fucking joke and absolutely not a replacement for Photoshop. If you're a casual, and can't pirate, then GIMP has its uses.

If you don't think any of this matters, then you're not in a position to be taken seriously about why Photoshop is a necessary tool.
some ledditor said:

No CMYK support

No non-destructive editing support

Many "filter" operations cause the image to lose bitdepth

All the "paintbrushes" are defined in terms of scaling factors to a raster paintbrush; not to pixel intervals of a vector paintbrush. This lets me know nothing about how big what I'm actually trying to draw is. Oh, the GIMP developers have said that they're working on it, but hey, it's like one guy and I'm sure he'll be able to add that feature before 2017. And to add;

Drawing with a big brush uses an inordinate amount of time even on fast computers and can cause the cursor to lag a significant amount, way more than an equivalent Photoshop instance.

There's no way to apply any real modifiers to brushes; you can't take an ordinary brush and then turn up or down its hardness modifier.

Managing gradients is a pain in the dick. It's completely unintuitive. Even if you've never used Photoshop before, it will be far easier to use it the photoshop way than Gimp's way.

Animating GIFs is surprising to new users. CS5 has a special menu box for making an animated GIF, in GIMP you have to handle it all in frames.

Practically none of the filters allow you to zoom in or out to see what the image will look like with the filter applied. You have to see it at native resolution, and if the image is much bigger than the screen then you just get to see the filter as it applies to some tiny section. It would be nice if it were possible to resize or zoom in / out on the preview window.

Why bother having a lens flare feature if there's one flare and you can't modify its size or luminosity? (The obvious follow up question is: why do you care about lens flare? I don't, but why put in a half assed implementation of a joke? Either go all in or not at all.)

The algorithm for scaling images is wrong, as seen here http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/gamma.html. This article was written at least five years ago, and if you run the test image in GIMP, it scales wrong.

A lot of the filters that should just be filters that apply to layers are made so that they apply to the image itself.

A lot of the filters that should have settings, don't.

The lighting effects filter is either completely unintuitive or woefully underdeveloped. Apparently, with a directional light, you can edit where the direction comes from, but not where it ends up, so all directional lights are pointing towards the center? What the fuck? Actually, let me subdivide this:

You're limited to a max of six lights. Six. Regardless of how much RAM you have.

You get access to a total of three kinds of lights: "Point, directional and none". Great. Sweet. "None" is a great substitute for "spotlight". Not having spolight means

You can't edit how wide or thin a light is. All these deficiencies in Gimp essentially sum up to mean that the "Lighting effects" is worthless for anyone who tries to use it for anything nontrivial, which includes most digital artists.

If you go through every single filter that Gimp has, you'll find that they're all missing some feature that you wish they had that Photoshop has. You can argue that filters aren't important and that the only transformations that matter are the "HSV / Scale" stuff, but any dumbass can do that. Hell, a website running on nothing but Javascript can do that easily.
Syrup-Apr 25, 2017 3:52 PM
Apr 25, 2017 5:00 PM

Mar 2008
ls0023987 said:
Honestly, If Microsoft releases another version of windows in the future and I haven't already dropped windows, I would drop it for muh privacy.

Windows 10 is the last version number I heard but they will keep updating it and changing it incrementally I guess. It's some odd marketing thing.

Seiya said:

Actually there is a fork of GIMP or some adon or something made to make it look more like Photoshop.
Apr 25, 2017 5:45 PM

Jun 2014
Syrup- said:
Seiya said:

There's nothing lazy about wanting an organized, uncluttered work space that can handle anything you throw at it. GIMP is a fucking joke and absolutely not a replacement for Photoshop. If you're a casual, and can't pirate, then GIMP has its uses.

If you don't think any of this matters, then you're not in a position to be taken seriously about why Photoshop is a necessary tool.
some ledditor said:

No CMYK support

No non-destructive editing support

Many "filter" operations cause the image to lose bitdepth

All the "paintbrushes" are defined in terms of scaling factors to a raster paintbrush; not to pixel intervals of a vector paintbrush. This lets me know nothing about how big what I'm actually trying to draw is. Oh, the GIMP developers have said that they're working on it, but hey, it's like one guy and I'm sure he'll be able to add that feature before 2017. And to add;

Drawing with a big brush uses an inordinate amount of time even on fast computers and can cause the cursor to lag a significant amount, way more than an equivalent Photoshop instance.

There's no way to apply any real modifiers to brushes; you can't take an ordinary brush and then turn up or down its hardness modifier.

Managing gradients is a pain in the dick. It's completely unintuitive. Even if you've never used Photoshop before, it will be far easier to use it the photoshop way than Gimp's way.

Animating GIFs is surprising to new users. CS5 has a special menu box for making an animated GIF, in GIMP you have to handle it all in frames.

Practically none of the filters allow you to zoom in or out to see what the image will look like with the filter applied. You have to see it at native resolution, and if the image is much bigger than the screen then you just get to see the filter as it applies to some tiny section. It would be nice if it were possible to resize or zoom in / out on the preview window.

Why bother having a lens flare feature if there's one flare and you can't modify its size or luminosity? (The obvious follow up question is: why do you care about lens flare? I don't, but why put in a half assed implementation of a joke? Either go all in or not at all.)

The algorithm for scaling images is wrong, as seen here http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/gamma.html. This article was written at least five years ago, and if you run the test image in GIMP, it scales wrong.

A lot of the filters that should just be filters that apply to layers are made so that they apply to the image itself.

A lot of the filters that should have settings, don't.

The lighting effects filter is either completely unintuitive or woefully underdeveloped. Apparently, with a directional light, you can edit where the direction comes from, but not where it ends up, so all directional lights are pointing towards the center? What the fuck? Actually, let me subdivide this:

You're limited to a max of six lights. Six. Regardless of how much RAM you have.

You get access to a total of three kinds of lights: "Point, directional and none". Great. Sweet. "None" is a great substitute for "spotlight". Not having spolight means

You can't edit how wide or thin a light is. All these deficiencies in Gimp essentially sum up to mean that the "Lighting effects" is worthless for anyone who tries to use it for anything nontrivial, which includes most digital artists.

If you go through every single filter that Gimp has, you'll find that they're all missing some feature that you wish they had that Photoshop has. You can argue that filters aren't important and that the only transformations that matter are the "HSV / Scale" stuff, but any dumbass can do that. Hell, a website running on nothing but Javascript can do that easily.

Little boy, GIMP having a different layout than Photoshop doesn't make it "cluttered." You just love to hate on things you don't use/understand. Photoshop is NOT necessary for an artist. Just because GIMP isn't the "Industry Standard" doesn't mean it isn't capable.

Apr 25, 2017 5:47 PM

Jan 2013
Seiya said:
Little boy, GIMP having a different layout than Photoshop doesn't make it "cluttered." You just love to hate on things you don't use/understand. Photoshop is NOT necessary for an artist. Just because GIMP isn't the "Industry Standard" doesn't mean it isn't capable.
Okay Seiya shut the fuck up about stuff you don't know anything about. Do you use an image editor on a daily basis? Why the fuck do you think you can just judge an entire industry when you have absolutely no idea what the fuck it needs.
Apr 25, 2017 5:49 PM

Jun 2014
Syrup- said:
Seiya said:
Okay Seiya shut the fuck up about stuff you don't know anything about.

I've been drawing on a computer for over 15 years, and I've owned many Wacom tablets. Trust me, I know more about this than you.

Apr 25, 2017 5:56 PM

Jan 2013
Seiya said:
Syrup- said:
Okay Seiya shut the fuck up about stuff you don't know anything about.

I've been drawing on a computer for over 15 years, and I've owned many Wacom tablets. Trust me, I know more about this than you.
You don't know anything more than me. I'm a professional in the fucking industry. I know both these programs inside and out. I used GIMP before Photoshop, and haven't paid a cent for either of them. The only person who has absolutely no idea what he's talking about around here is you.
Apr 25, 2017 5:58 PM

Jun 2014
Syrup- said:
Seiya said:

You don't know anything more than me. I'm a professional in the fucking industry.

Lol, I'm sure. Why don't you show us a picture of your yearly salary?

Apr 25, 2017 6:01 PM

Jan 2013
Seiya said:
Syrup- said:
You don't know anything more than me. I'm a professional in the fucking industry.

Lol, I'm sure. Why don't you show us a picture of your yearly salary?
Because that has absolutely anything to do with anything. I'm especially not linking myself to who I work for after what I just said.
TyrelApr 26, 2017 2:09 AM
Apr 26, 2017 1:32 AM

Mar 2008
Some time in the future I may take my parents old Power-PC based iMac desktop and put Linux on it since they might want to get rid of it and because I think the HDD should be removed for security but a usable operating system should be put in place on a new small HDD if they are going to sell it or donate it somewhere. It has been sitting around unused for years. I'm not sure if that's a good idea though. If I did do it I would probably think a Linux distro with a similar UI as MacOSX so a Mac user would know how to use it easily would be good but it has to work on Power-PC architecture but I can't seem to find something that has both since im not too familiar with Linux. I probably wont do this for at least months to a year from now though if I do it so it's not a big deal if i dont figure it out.
Apr 26, 2017 4:31 AM

Jul 2013
I'm currently still using windows 7, but I do plan on switching to linux at some point. On one hand I should do this soon since reinstalling windows 7 is clearly overdue, but on the other hand I'm too lazy to bother ^^
I'll probably go with linux mint at first.

When it comes to alternatives to photoshop it just depends on what you use photoshop for. If you just do some simple editing of pictures for online use like making profile layouts etc then you could use gimp. But if you you need to make things that need to be printed on paper for your job for example then gimp won't do (no cmyk support). It is a planned feature, but god knows when they'll actually start working on it.
Besides gimp there's also krita which does seem to support cmyk if I'm not mistaken, but I don't know much about that one. Seems like it's more focused on drawing/painting than actual image manipulation but I could be wrong on that.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Apr 26, 2017 1:14 PM

Mar 2008
@Tyrantarmy6
You could probably should try a distribution out before switching so you know if it works with your computer alright. If you dont want to set up a dual boot you could just put it on a USB or CD.

GIMP actually lacks some useful things for photo manipulation Photoshop has like a high pass filter.
Apr 27, 2017 3:27 AM

Jul 2013
traed said:
@Tyrantarmy6
You could probably should try a distribution out before switching so you know if it works with your computer alright. If you dont want to set up a dual boot you could just put it on a USB or CD.

GIMP actually lacks some useful things for photo manipulation Photoshop has like a high pass filter.

Yeah I know. Thus far I've only tried a bunch of distros through VMs and mint seemed like a good one to start with. Well, I did once try puppy linux on an actual bootable usb because people were insisting on it.

I don't use photoshop all that much and gimp even less, so I don't know how much it's lacking. Now if only adobe would port their software to linux that'd be great. Not that it'll ever happen though ^^
Apr 27, 2017 3:42 AM

Mar 2008
@Tyrantarmy6
A VM is good for checking out interface but not for testing system performance I would imagine. Isn't Puppy Linux mostly geared toward low end computers?
Apr 27, 2017 3:49 AM

Jul 2013
traed said:
@Tyrantarmy6
A VM is good for checking out interface but not for testing system performance I would imagine. Isn't Puppy Linux mostly geared toward low end computers?

Yeah, it loads itself completely into RAM. They were insisting on me trying it since unlike ubuntu etc it was made for use via a bootable drive. While it was indeed very fast I can't say it's something I would like to use as my main OS xD
Apr 27, 2017 12:58 PM

Jan 2009
Only a bit Ubuntu (Live) in a professional Environment because I have to learn it and because the Driver Support is the best.
Other than that, I have Kubuntu and various other bootable Linux-Systems on an USB-Stick if I want to check something or just delete some Files which are locked in/on (?) Windows.

Considering that I still want to read my Visual Novels, I can't imagine switching to Linux anytime soon. However, I could imagine creating a Linux VM just for Surfing, but it's much more conveniently for me to just sandbox the Browser than to create a VM for every open Desktop I have, plus having Browser Windows on both Sides would require more VMs. I've got a Stock i5 3570K, 16GB RAM and Windows 8.1 Pro, so I'd first have to check which VM-Software works best for me and whether I can really put a VM for every open Browser and whether switching between different Desktops still works fast.
Apr 27, 2017 7:13 PM

Aug 2011
Only one I have in use is an old Ubuntu (10.X) I believe, I really hated the changes they made to the UI, and as a result never bothered changing it, It is only on a little Netbook that is used for literally nothing these days though, so not like it matters.
^_^
Apr 29, 2017 3:25 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
Only a bit Ubuntu (Live) in a professional Environment because I have to learn it and because the Driver Support is the best.
Other than that, I have Kubuntu and various other bootable Linux-Systems on an USB-Stick if I want to check something or just delete some Files which are locked in/on (?) Windows.

Considering that I still want to read my Visual Novels, I can't imagine switching to Linux anytime soon. However, I could imagine creating a Linux VM just for Surfing, but it's much more conveniently for me to just sandbox the Browser than to create a VM for every open Desktop I have, plus having Browser Windows on both Sides would require more VMs. I've got a Stock i5 3570K, 16GB RAM and Windows 8.1 Pro, so I'd first have to check which VM-Software works best for me and whether I can really put a VM for every open Browser and whether switching between different Desktops still works fast.

Have you tried running visual novels in WINE just to see if it works? I imagine they would not as difficult to run as some other type of game but I could be wrong.
Apr 29, 2017 3:52 PM

Oct 2014
traed said:
Noboru said:

Have you tried running visual novels in WINE just to see if it works? I imagine they would not as difficult to run as some other type of game but I could be wrong.

most visual novels works fine with wine. You can't play videos though you need ffdshow etc for that
Apr 29, 2017 4:09 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
No, I haven't. It's too much Effort to do. With Windows, I can somehow get it to run out-of-the-box.

Apr 29, 2017 5:23 PM

Mar 2008
Cnon said:
traed said:

most visual novels works fine with wine. You can't play videos though you need ffdshow etc for that

So if there is a video sequence in a visual novel it wont work you say?
Apr 29, 2017 5:24 PM

Oct 2014
traed said:
Cnon said:

yes because it doesn't have windows codecs
Apr 30, 2017 8:20 AM

Jan 2009
Cnon said:
traed said:

A VN without OP and ED is incomplete, so no thanks for me. Though, if I'm not mistaken, there may be a few Unix-based Visual Novel Ports, so they may run completely with Linux + free Codecs running on Unix-based Systems as well.
NoboruApr 30, 2017 8:24 AM
Apr 30, 2017 9:04 AM

Oct 2014
Noboru said:
Cnon said:

A VN without OP and ED is incomplete, so no thanks for me. Though, if I'm not mistaken, there may be a few Unix-based Visual Novel Ports, so they may run completely with Linux + free Codecs running on Unix-based Systems as well.

yeah if vns based on renpy they work fine.
Apr 30, 2017 9:25 AM

Jan 2009
Cnon said:
Noboru said:

Katawa Shoujo was/is made with Ren'Py, if I'm not mistaken:

https://vndb.org/g1298?fil=tag_inc-1298.tagspoil-0;m=0;o=d;s=rating

Apr 30, 2017 10:03 AM

Oct 2014
Noboru said:
Cnon said:

well then you can play it on linux
Apr 30, 2017 11:46 AM

Jan 2009
Cnon said:
Noboru said:

I've played it already on Windows and have no Plans on re-reading it. It's not easy for Linux to establish itself when there isn't a large Library that can be used without any Drawbacks.
Apr 30, 2017 11:55 AM

Oct 2014
Noboru said:
Cnon said:

I've played it already on Windows and have no Plans on re-reading it. It's not easy for Linux to establish itself when there isn't a large Library that can be used without any Drawbacks.

well there's opengl but game companies doesn't port their games to opengl. They only care about directx and windows
Apr 30, 2017 12:43 PM

Jan 2009
Cnon said:
Noboru said:

well there's opengl but game companies doesn't port their games to opengl. They only care about directx and windows
Since Windows has the larger Libraries for Programming and such. What happened to AMD Vulkan btw.? If I'm not mistaken, that is a cross-plattform API like AMD Mantle. Do you think that something like that could see a much larger Userbase playing on Linux?
Apr 30, 2017 1:01 PM

Oct 2014
Noboru said:
Cnon said:

Since Windows has the larger Libraries for Programming and such. What happened to AMD Vulkan btw.? If I'm not mistaken, that is a cross-plattform API like AMD Mantle. Do you think that something like that could see a much larger Userbase playing on Linux?

It didn't get much traction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support
game companies only care about directx
Apr 30, 2017 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
Cnon said:
Noboru said:

Just as expected. It's hard to go against that Monopoly if the Developers don't switch to DirectX and .NetFramework Alternatives. Though I wonder whether Vulkan can really rival DirectX and whether there is anything that can at least come close to .NetFramework on Linux.
It's not only Gaming Companies, since .NetFramework and Visual C++ Runtimes are also Things that are used for many Applications in General.
May 1, 2017 1:41 AM

Oct 2014
Noboru said:
Cnon said:

Just as expected. It's hard to go against that Monopoly if the Developers don't switch to DirectX and .NetFramework Alternatives. Though I wonder whether Vulkan can really rival DirectX and whether there is anything that can at least come close to .NetFramework on Linux.
It's not only Gaming Companies, since .NetFramework and Visual C++ Runtimes are also Things that are used for many Applications in General.

There's mono a .net replacement but you can install dotnet if you want only thing you have to do is type winetricks dotnet45
May 1, 2017 1:46 AM

Jan 2009
Cnon said:
Noboru said:

There's mono a .net replacement but you can install dotnet if you want only thing you have to do is type winetricks dotnet45
Thanks, I'll keep it in Mind. Only Problem I had with Installing Things on Ubuntu was that you have to enable it in the Settings somewhere before you can download Packets from other Sources.
May 1, 2017 2:04 AM

Oct 2014
Noboru said:
Cnon said:

Thanks, I'll keep it in Mind. Only Problem I had with Installing Things on Ubuntu was that you have to enable it in the Settings somewhere before you can download Packets from other Sources.

with winetricks only thing you need is wget. it's not installed by default you download from github and put it to /usr/bin folder then make it executable with chmod +x and you're good to go.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
May 1, 2017 5:16 AM
Jan 2017
MeguminDarknessJul 5, 2019 4:43 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 10 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
10 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
11 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.