Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 2017 8:38 PM

Dec 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
We got a two year timeskip. Hayate disappeared two years. Nagi is working at the apartment complex her chest grew a little bit. Bigger than Hinagiku at least.
Nagi has grown a bit like mature and independent.
It ends at the same spot Hayate and Nagi met.

IshkotenApr 9, 2017 10:34 PM
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Apr 10, 2017 9:13 AM

Jan 2015
when can i read that t_t and wtf is that really a last chapter T__T
Apr 10, 2017 9:53 AM

Dec 2012
Hirugiku said:
when can i read that t_t and wtf is that really the last chapter T__T
It was confirmed that 568 was going to be the last chapter. Plus 567 said next chapter will be Grand Finale.
tsubasalover said:
Official Shounen Sunday revealed that it will end in 20th Issue releasing April 12, 2017.
http://websunday.net/news/17030811.html
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Apr 11, 2017 2:01 PM

Jul 2009
it ends...
A-tan ftw!
bruh
Apr 11, 2017 6:56 PM

Jun 2006
It's been a long ride - 10 years for me in fact since the Anime debuted this month in 2007.

I'm forever happy that my favorite ship won in the end, I never lost hope even though people tried to tell me otherwise.

With Manglobe bankrupt there's less of a chance for a new anime to come out, but who knows maybe in the future another studio will pick it up. J.C. Staff, Manglobe... who will be next?

Thank you Hata-sensei for this wonderful run.
Apr 12, 2017 11:14 AM

May 2013
So what? Hinagiku being rejected by hayate offscreen?

I liked how the end tells about Nagi who became independent and cool, but hata-sensei treated other heroines like shit.
ruka, a-tan, hamster, that poor girl that i barely remember her name, and now hinagiku.
Apr 12, 2017 11:41 PM

Sep 2014
Well somehow i expected dat...but Hinagiku is still da best gurl

Aww but I really wanted to see Hina's confession scene D:
Also wheres Maria? D:

I enjoyed this manga but they dragged on for far too long.

Dat classic TsundeRie End...always win :P

Apr 21, 2017 12:06 PM

Mar 2013
I'm just here for ending. Is it official that Nagi and Hayate start going out? If yes, I'll be damned. Can't help but feel dishearten just like when I came across Nisekoi's ending :(
Damn. A harem manga should have harem ending. Any girl would've been good except for Nagi... *sigh* seems I have to give up on planning to read it.
Apr 22, 2017 6:49 AM

Jul 2015
blonde + tsundere = 100% win rate xD
tsundere fans are really lucky
Apr 27, 2017 12:30 AM

Sep 2011
Nagi got some boobs. Such development.

Meanwhile Hinagiku will remain flat, in which no development at all... oh wait what a coincidence, her character doesn't have any development too, same as her boobs. (Okay maybe a little but it's way goddamn too late)

I wish I can see more Hayate and Nagi's "real deal" romance though...

Although, MAL says it has 570 chapters yet it ends at 568. So, will there be 2 more chapters?

Apr 30, 2017 12:36 PM
Jun 2012
For a story that went over a decade how it wrapped up was a huge disappointment. I could write over a thousand words on why it was terrible but quick bullet points: Hina's confession off screen, the bullshit timeskip, what happened to Maria, what happened to Hayate's brother, what happened to the majority of the fucking cast, that ending scene becoming a bullshit way of saying how time had changed them, why was Hayate even fucking there. There have been good and even great moments of this story and the ending certainly wasn't one of them. Most unsatisfying ending I had imagined and I'm disappointed at how predictable and unfulfilling it was. Congrats Hayate you took the top spot for worst endings away from Mass Effect 3.
Apr 30, 2017 12:58 PM

Feb 2008
why are endings to long running manga like this always disappointing. i mean everything was wrapped up but still....
Apr 30, 2017 1:14 PM

May 2012
And it finally ends T_T

Well, the ending did feel a little rushed in some places, like with the off-screen rejection for Hina, Maria's sudden disappearance with no explanation behind it, among some other things I would've liked to be wrapped up, but I always expected it to be a Nagi end especially after CTMEOY. I'm at least glad Hata didn't give into pressure there and went with who he wanted, even if a Nagi ending didn't make much sense to me. But still, I'm a bit disappointed in Hina's rejection since the other main love interests at least got a decent closure to their unrequited love compared to her.

It was still nice to see how much Nagi had grown throughout the story, even more surprising to see her growth with this last chapter and how independent she can be now.

Like geez, girl. She definitely doesn't need any protecting, that's for sure lol

Anyway, all in all, I guess I can say I'm satisfied with how things turned out even if it didn't end how I wanted it to.(A-tan you're still mah girl T_T)

Hope to see what else Hata decides to start work on in the future.

Apr 30, 2017 1:18 PM

Jul 2009
That was so anti-climatic and disappointing. Hata-sensei, you could've at least shown us Hinagiku getting rejected, instead of doing it off-screen. Same goes for Maria, at least give us an epilogue of some sort.

But yeah, it's finally ended.
Apr 30, 2017 1:57 PM

Jan 2015
The most interesting part of the finale was Hata's afterthoughts. How he thought he didn't think it would last that long and he thought it would take at most 10 months (Wow i didn't know that) And that ending was actually what he wanted to do from the start and it was really heartwarming with him saying "This manga has changed my entire life" he could've said life but he actually said entire life, I think i like Hata more now and since he said he is not retiring i'll be looking forward to his next work. Even if the ending was really disappointing still gonna be my favorite manga that saved me at one point in my life. And i'm gonna eternally grateful to Hata for all these years.

That part with "I'll buy you a cake" REALLY REALLY reminded me of Arakita from Yowapeda "I'll buy you a bepsi" legendary scene
Apr 30, 2017 2:48 PM

Nov 2012
I'm more than ok with the way things ended, I'm just sad that last chapter lacked my favourite character Maria.

MARIA IS THE BEST GIRL!
Apr 30, 2017 2:53 PM

Oct 2014
I wanted the last Arc to be more like The end of the World Arc, and not like this...

ah, well, time to feel old for following this for more then half a decade...
Apr 30, 2017 3:56 PM
Jun 2012
Hirugiku said:
The most interesting part of the finale was Hata's afterthoughts. How he thought he didn't think it would last that long and he thought it would take at most 10 months (Wow i didn't know that) And that ending was actually what he wanted to do from the start.

[/spoiler]

I see this as a critical component about why the ending was unsatisfying. If the story had only gone for 10 months and didn't have the build up of extra characters, more plot points, more development then his ending would have been fine. The fact that he stuck with his original ending ideal after everything changed is weak writing and lazy. You might say that it was a long running series and it would be unreasonable to expect have him adjust the ending for the added material. I'd counter that by telling how Rowling had the last Chapter of the final book planned out when she was writing the second book. In simple terms you have an idea of what you want to happen and where you want to go but if things change than you have to adapt with them rather than sticking to an ending that should have been obviously inadequate for the scope of the series. There was very little resolution and it felt like putting a bandaid over a bullet wound.

@Shrimperor Pretty much everything you said and then some. The end of the World Arc was the story at its finest with all the details planned out, great characters, heartwarming/breaking moments, and a concise resolution while allowing the story to be continued. It was what I expected of the finale and instead we got this ending so lazy it feels like a sloth wrote it
Apr 30, 2017 4:07 PM
Sep 2016
It would have been much better if they had shown Maria
Apr 30, 2017 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
Didn't think I'd see this end after so long. The ending was okay to say the least. Somewhat disappointing that Nagi won in the end though. Although I'm glad Hina also got the chance to confess.

That was quite a long ride.
Apr 30, 2017 5:48 PM

Apr 2014
After so long...it ends. I am glad Hayate's parent got the shit beat out of them. They are what we call "human trash."
My ship...I thought he would end up with Hina at most, but damn Nagi...A-tan is my favorite tho.
Overall, it's alright 9/10.
Apr 30, 2017 5:57 PM

Aug 2014
This was a disgrace to the series. In fact, the entire finale was a disgrace to the series. So many things simply did not make sense and it was incredibly rushed, which meant that many things did not end up getting explained well at all. Hayate's parents should have been in the manga for more than 2 fucking chapters, Maria's ENTIRE character should have been explained more (why she left, and who she really is, etc), Athena and Hinagiku's conversation should have been disclosed, which most of you probably don't even know what I'm referring to because it was so vague.

I really like how Nagi went from being the same bitch that she was since ch.1 from 1 chapter to this re-defined caring princess in the next chapter (referring to third to last going into second to last chapter). It took you completely losing Hayate for like 10 seconds to change your character entirely. Great job.

And just wow, this last chapter. How can I even explain how I feel? I am a huge Hinagiku fan, and even I'm not that satisfied at what happened. It was barely a confession scene at all. But whatever I guess, at least she confessed!(?)

...Aaand it obviously didn't work since 2 years later (random time skip), Nagi is sitting at the same spot she met Hayate in the first place, and POP! Hayate randomly shows up. He hints that he never lost feelings for her after the couple of years, and bam, manga complete. Couldn't have been any more cheesy. I don't feel good about Hinagiku's confession at all; she should have saved her breath.

I am having a hard time understanding how somebody could feel satisfied at this ending, but hey, each to their own.

NEVERTHELESS, this manga kept me entertained for many years and I want to thank Hata for that. Thanks for creating my favorite character ever. You really fucked up at the finale, but for the most part, you did an ok job.
Apr 30, 2017 7:43 PM

Jan 2009
A pretty pathetic ending in my book, but fully expected. It was crystal clear after the movies that he'd rather force through his Nagi conclusion than heed the fan wishes.

When I remember the emotional high of the show (conclusion to the Greece arc), this finish was barely a whimper. Not only did Hina - who was by far the character I felt most empathy with and who deserved any kind of reward for her constant selfless support for Hayate - get completely shut out, she even got a rejection off-screen. What the hell, Hata?

Maria's character was twisted even more. Was there any point to her leaving _like this_? Why would she?

It's not uncommon that long-running shows eventually collapse under the myriads of story threads that end unanswered, but this was a particularly poor effort. Just showing characters in their standard role (Hina - fighting, Isumi - magic, etc) in encore fashion does not create closure. What we want to see is how their fundamental issues are resolved. This is where the story failed.

And so, as a Hina fan, I vastly prefered her tragic loss at the end of the Royal Garden arc ("A hero doesn't show the tears beneath her mask") to this unserious half-assed flip-off in the final chapter. And with many other characters it's the same.

Sorry, Hata. You had more than enough time. Epic fail.
Apr 30, 2017 7:45 PM

Apr 2014
Hah fuck this manga trope where its 97% of the Protagonist would fall for the obviously main heroine.
Even though Nagi x Hayate absolutely makes no sense and was forced in the end but whatever.
I feel bad for Athena. She deserved it after all the shit she's been through.

Apr 30, 2017 7:55 PM

Dec 2010
And I think everyone agrees that the End of the World Arc is the best arc there is in this series.
A-tan best girl!

A bit disappointed in the ending but it was still a heck of a roller coaster ride with all Hata-sensei's references to media.
Apr 30, 2017 11:03 PM

Aug 2008
Hmmm. I'm still confused in whom Hayate liked all along. Given what happened on the previous chapters, I always thought it boiled down to these three: Maria (Most likely) > Ruka (Second most likely) > Hinagiku (Third most likely). By the last few chapters, I was 100% sure it was Maria (Not quite my personal preferred choice). But it was not quite the case...?

Nagi wasn't always my top choice. I didn't dislike her per say, but I didn't quite like her either, I was neutral. I was more of a Ruka and A-tan fan myself.

Anyway, it turns out that it was Nagi all along? Or did stuff happen in the time-skip that made Hayate realize and accept his true feelings for Nagi?

Oh well. Nagi grew up to be cool and pretty in 2 years (Now being HS age, and about 16), so I'm OK with Hayate's decision at the end. It makes the most sense, and also it's the most neutral one.

The series was pretty good, and I liked the author's style. Let's see what's his next big work.
Apr 30, 2017 11:17 PM

Nov 2013
Sad it's ending, I've been reading for so long and I'm glad that Hayate ended up with who he did. Some stuff I would have liked to see was cut out like Hinagiku's confession and some sort of closure with Athena and Maria, but overall I loved this manga and the art style, 9/10.
May 1, 2017 12:39 AM
May 2015
What made Kenjiro Hata abruptly rush the last chapter arc? Yes I knew the manga was coming to an end, but it ended way too quickly with many questions unanswered. Is there a source which states a reason for why he rushed it? Or was this pacing what he desired?

Apologies for the amount of questions, I'm not mad about the way the manga has finished, rather I am disappointed.

Nevertheless, a series I will cherish. 8/10
May 1, 2017 1:40 AM

Sep 2007
I'll just assume Hayate and Hinagiku dated for a while during those 2 years but it didn't work out for one reason or another. Then I can make peace with this ending LOL
May 1, 2017 1:44 AM

Oct 2008
Mentar said:

It's not uncommon that long-running shows eventually collapse under the myriads of story threads that end unanswered, but this was a particularly poor effort. Just showing characters in their standard role (Hina - fighting, Isumi - magic, etc) in encore fashion does not create closure. What we want to see is how their fundamental issues are resolved. This is where the story failed.

The best thing is even Hata-sensei poked fun at this himself in the chapter about "gathering plot dust" few years back and despite being aware of it fell for the same trap. I suppose this is an inherent flaw/trap of the long-running serialization, you never now how much you have to stretch the story or how quickly you will have to end it if the sales go down.

Mentar said:

And so, as a Hina fan, I vastly prefered her tragic loss at the end of the Royal Garden arc ("A hero doesn't show the tears beneath her mask") to this unserious half-assed flip-off in the final chapter. And with many other characters it's the same.

This. So much this. Hinagiku ended up as an eternal romantic comedy trigger and the biggest tease of series, until the very final chapter. My heart skipped a beat when Hinagiku was shown the first time in the chapter and my heart begun racing when she finally confessed. Hata-sensei totally had me on the hook there, letting me think he will grant Hina's wish and join the Pantheon of very few manga/anime series that did away with the main guy x main girl pairing.

Only to crush all my hopes one final time. I get it that Hata-sensei wanted to push the message of "You can't always have what you want", but he already did that once with A-tan arc as Mentar pointed out, so he should've left it at that instead of continuing to tease the Hina crowd and then wondering why all those people are so dissatisfied how their favourite character of the show was handled.

Then again, it is easy to discard the last few pages and write a slightly different ending in my head, so I'm going to console myself with that... :D

My only other disappointment was that we never got to know who Maria really was. Her mysterious appearance and then disappearance was left unexplained. However all in all I've seen much worse endings to long running series, especially one very recent (we all know which one...), and Hayate no Gotoku still remains one of my favourite series of all time. Thank you very much Hata-sensei, I could've never imagined that a seemingly simple gag manga could have so many fantastic story arcs.

It was a great ride and... another one bites the dust.
RudgaldMay 1, 2017 1:48 AM
May 1, 2017 4:10 AM

Oct 2013
IT FINALLY ENDED. Thank god, that took way too long.
Signature.
May 1, 2017 6:57 AM

Nov 2010
That was a disappointing ending. I never expected a Athena x Hayate ending even though Athena is best girl :-P. But still this ending was reasonably bad lol. Although the series has been declining in interest for me, for a long time now. I havent been glued to the manga since the Athena arc. I sometimes go back just to read that arc. Hayate X Athena so cute. *sigh* another one bites the dust i guess.
May 1, 2017 11:27 AM

Dec 2010
I heard about this ending so thought i'd have a look. I read until after Ruka's arc or somewhere around there then dropped it. Turned into a bit of a disappointing series for me.

Glad to see it finished though. Think my interest would've sustained if the it kept a good balance between serious and comedy gag arcs like Gintama does. It did drag on a bit too long.

Favourite arc was the A-tan arc. A-tan also being my favrouite character.

In any case reading up to A-tans arc its an enjoyable series. After that not so much.
May 2, 2017 1:17 PM
Feb 2009
stop reading this back in 2011 and good thing i did, as usual the MC ends up with the heroine because she is the heroine, hayate is better suited for Athena or Pink hair girl.
May 4, 2017 11:49 AM

Aug 2013
this is exactly why i didnt read this shit, i knew it would end with the bullshit 'first girl wins' trope that all authors like for some reason
May 6, 2017 3:58 PM

Sep 2011
It's just funny there are some people trying to be delusional about Hayate and Hinagiku ended up together for a while or just simply can't accept facts.

Just accept Hinagiku is utterly defeated and had no chance to be with Hayate in the first place since she's just another extra girl on the harem genre unlike(Of course excluding Nagi since she's the main heroine) Nishizawa and Athena.

May 8, 2017 3:34 PM

Oct 2015
No, Hata! You don't have Nagi and Hayate end up together after 568 chapters of no romantic development. You don't have the popular girl confess and get rejected both offscreen! Bad Hata! Bad! The only truly mutually loving relationship in this manga was Hayate and Athena. He skipped over Athena, Hinagiku and Nishizawa and ended up with the loli ojousama he thought of as a child the whole series. Nagi who thought of Hayate as her mother. There's a leap in character.

1/5 for ending.

Why can't shounen authors ever end their series well?
May 11, 2017 11:19 AM
Jul 2008
I'm disappointed like everyone here..
I marathoned from the chapter where Maria left. Can someone explain something to me?

1. When Hayate woke up from the dream, he went to the door above and met Maria. I forgot what is that door? After that he convinced himself that it's a dream. So he woke up from the a dream and then go to another dream? If that's a dream why did she has the letter? So she's the real Maria?

2. I forgot about Himegami story. What about 50 years life spent on Yukariko? How can the principal know about Yukariko's wish? What is the first wish? She only said it's 'wish for her daughter'. Is that the wish that made Hayate back?

Rudgald said:
Mentar said:

The best thing is even Hata-sensei poked fun at this himself in the chapter about "gathering plot dust" few years back and despite being aware of it fell for the same trap. I suppose this is an inherent flaw/trap of the long-running serialization, you never now how much you have to stretch the story or how quickly you will have to end it if the sales go down.

Mentar said:

This. So much this. Hinagiku ended up as an eternal romantic comedy trigger and the biggest tease of series, until the very final chapter. My heart skipped a beat when Hinagiku was shown the first time in the chapter and my heart begun racing when she finally confessed. Hata-sensei totally had me on the hook there, letting me think he will grant Hina's wish and join the Pantheon of very few manga/anime series that did away with the main guy x main girl pairing.

Only to crush all my hopes one final time. I get it that Hata-sensei wanted to push the message of "You can't always have what you want", but he already did that once with A-tan arc as Mentar pointed out, so he should've left it at that instead of continuing to tease the Hina crowd and then wondering why all those people are so dissatisfied how their favourite character of the show was handled.

Then again, it is easy to discard the last few pages and write a slightly different ending in my head, so I'm going to console myself with that... :D

My only other disappointment was that we never got to know who Maria really was. Her mysterious appearance and then disappearance was left unexplained. However all in all I've seen much worse endings to long running series, especially one very recent (we all know which one...), and Hayate no Gotoku still remains one of my favourite series of all time. Thank you very much Hata-sensei, I could've never imagined that a seemingly simple gag manga could have so many fantastic story arcs.

It was a great ride and... another one bites the dust.

I think long running authors know they need to end the series but they don't have time to construct the ending plotline. This happens to most(all?) weekly manga series, it happens less in monthly manga because they have more time to create a plotline.
He's currently running 2 manga other than Hayate too. Just be glad he doesn't collapse like other manga authors.

I think most people know(at least I know) that Hata intended to make Nagi independent from long time ago. This really shows in the boarding house arc. At there she learned a bit how to live normally and how hard to work.
Maria left them is also for this reason but Hata executed it poorly. Maria also wanted Nagi to become independent, Hayate understood that but cannot let go of Nagi, Nagi is the one to understand and finally let go of Hayate.

Maria is just a smart girl without knowing what to do so she just worked at Sanzenin to fill her time after graduation I guess. What made me sad is because seems like to forget about Maria.. She's just like cast aside character when only Nagi and Hayate sad because she left.

About the another recent ending long running series, is it Bleach?

Tennouji said:
Nagi got some boobs. Such development.

Meanwhile Hinagiku will remain flat, in which no development at all... oh wait what a coincidence, her character doesn't have any development too, same as her boobs. (Okay maybe a little but it's way goddamn too late)

I wish I can see more Hayate and Nagi's "real deal" romance though...

Although, MAL says it has 570 chapters yet it ends at 568. So, will there be 2 more chapters?

Well, seeing how big Yukariko was, it's not surprising.

Hinagiku developed at the last chapters, she became more brave, she overcame her height fear and confessed to Hayate because she did not want to leave bad aftertaste inside her mind forever. Hinagiku's real mom might be flat so she might not develop anymore.

MAL list chapters as total chapter count not the chapters published, when special chapters are released, they're counted as well.
May 14, 2017 10:04 AM

Sep 2011
Sad that Hayate didn't end up with Hamster. :/
Welp... that's that.
May 14, 2017 11:55 AM
Sep 2016
Not 100% satisfied with the ending, a bit too rushed. I was expecting a big boss fight, we had Hinagiku vs Himekawa but it's not enough for me.
About the main couple...I was rooting for Athena but the moment she let go Hayate at the end of her arc I knew she had no chance. The main problem is the total lack of development betwenn hayate and Nagi until the very last chapters. He had feelings for other girls and only viewed her as a child (and a benefactor) and suddenly it turns out he loves her. I know it's typical in manga that the main character doesn't recognize his own feelings until someone makes him notice, but usually there are hints for the readers, and I don't consider Hayate'd devotion as a butler a valid hint of romantic affection. Still, I'm happy that he ended up with someone instead of remaining alone or continuing to be a butler, and at least he started dating Nagi after the time skip so I could assume he had time to sort his feelings.
In the end I loved this manga very much, the ending was not perfect but it's only a small flaw in a very good series.
May 15, 2017 7:45 AM

May 2014
OT: I wanted to see a bit more, as someone else already pointed out I can't stand the sight of Hinagiku being turned down off screen, at least let me see it. And I wanted to see more of A-tan and way more of Hamster, as I still believe she was best girl.

Everything in this last arc was splendid, I have to thoroughly thank the mangaka for this crazy journey, I first picked this up because of the harem tag, I thought it would be full of fanservice goodies, and whilst it was that, it was also so much more.
The crazy journeys of Hayate were just so entertaining to watch, from idiotic people to ghosts and robots, this was one helluva story and I'm glad I was able to witness it while it was ongoing.
Now I hope his latest work Ad Astra per Aspera will turn out to be great, or that he will come out with something else, either way THANK YOU VERY MUCH HATA KENJIROU.
KamSungMay 15, 2017 7:48 AM
May 17, 2017 12:29 AM

Oct 2010
Okay things where wrapped properly.... except for HINA.

Ayumu would have ended with Hayate if he didn't met Nagi. FINE BY ME

Nagi grew up, cool. but she won.... I thought Hayate would end as her first love since the "You're Fired" scene was so great.

Hinagiku.... was it to hard to draw 3-5 pages more to see her at least getting rejected. NOT FINE BY ME

Also Maria MIA

Kinda wanted to see all the characters grown up.

We need a proper epilogue.
「Self Aware Cringy Weeb」
May 17, 2017 9:36 AM
Sep 2016
I'm actually fine with Hina being rejected of screen. I mean, I think that scene has a positive tone, we all know that her feelings aren't reciprocated but we are supposed to be happy that she found tha courage to express them. But if we see Hina get rejected and crying over that the scene turns into a very sad one that doens't convey the same positive emotions.
About maria...I understand that her departure was necessary for nagi's growth but would have preferred is she came back like Hayate after the time skip or if at least she was showed keeping in contact with her friends.
May 26, 2017 11:28 PM
Dec 2016
i stop reading this at athena arc then i continue at the final arc i thought hayate wont choose anyone, well..i dont hate the ending i ship hayate and nagi ever since the anime start the ending of the manga it was kinda rushed ....i rate this manga 9/10 looking forward on the authors next work :)
Jun 9, 2017 1:16 AM

Jun 2010
What I like about the finale:

- the focus was on Hayate and Nagi's relationship, as it should be. We all have our things we like about the manga, but those are mostly stuff that came later. From the very beginning HnG was about these two and their misunderstanding and their growth. So it makes perfect sense to book-end with the same main theme.

- I also really like they didn't get a predictable romantic ending - Nagi was rejected, had to get over that and she grew up, matured, became more independent... and then Hayate appears before her. They can now be friends on an equal footing, no more toxic dependency. I know everyone is claiming Nagi "won", because she "ended up with Hayate", but it really seems clear to me that whether they're great friends or they could become something more is still very much in the air. And I'm not saying that because I "ship otherwise" - it's just clear that Hayate still feels very much the same about Nagi he's always felt. Namely, he wishes for her happiness, he's thankful and he wants to protect her. Whether or not it qualifies as romantic interest (and whether or not he's realized that) is not yet known. I like that, I like to see "love" portrayed as a combination of multiple complex feelings, motivations and wishes, instead of a bland "this person is now what my life revolves around for some reason" thing.

- Hinagiku got exposed. And by that I mean the finale stayed true to her character and made sure not to give her any role of emotional support. She fought a bad guy, physically - but unlike Hayate, Ayumu, A-tan, Nagi or Maria, Hina cannot help others with their issues. The others have issues of their own they had to work through, but they still helped support other characters. Hina can only fight. She got over her own fear of heights with the power of her own unrequited "love". She's still defined by "having feelings for a guy", there's nothing else to her outside maybe her stupid pride. Heck, even she doesn't seem to know anything else about herself, her "love" for Hayate is all she ever thinks about, it's what seems to drive all her actions. Must have been hell for Hata-sensei to constantly put focus on such a non-character because of popularity polls.

- Hayate's parents are scum. It's fascinating to see that in the presence of Hisui and Himegami - super-powered villains with beyond-extreme evil schemes - it is Hayate's greedy, selfish parents that make you want to strangle someone. Like, what they tried to do here was the most awful thing ever! Extremely fascinating characters that seem beyond help.

- Maria disappears and stays that way. She played her role perfectly and her being gone was clearly part of that role. Any other manga would probably have her show up again by the end because "You grew up, Nagi, I can now return for some reason". Cop-out much? No, Maria was absolutely awesome in this finale, showing the best parts of her character and being essential to the ending being what it was. Beautifully done.

- Holy crap Ayumu. For a second there I actually thought she'd end up romantically involved with Hayate, that's how strong her role in the finale was. She even got acknowledged by A-tan herself to have stronger connection to Hayate. In a way, Ayumu would have been the best match for Hayate in the sense that she's a regular girl who has to work for herself. No riches, no superpowers, no tragic backstory, no larger-than-life dreams - just a teenage girl, normal to the bone. I think Hayate could have been drawn to such normalcy, he's never really experienced it in his life. Of course Nagi ended up without any riches or powers either and she now works hard herself, even taking care of others, so it's not like that relationship feels forced either. Still, props to Hata-sensei for how essential Ayumu turned out to be - and, once again, Hina's complete opposite, because even without any legendary sword or extreme combat skills, she did more to help just by being more mature about her feelings and way less egocentric.

What I don't like about the finale:

Just one thing - Hayate's parents get smacked around. That's severely disappointing. Not because I wanted to see them die in a gruesome way, because of how awful and irredeemable they are... Quite the opposite. I wanted Hayate to confront them one last time and forgive them. Or at least promise to try to forgive them. Scum of the Earth or not, it is because of their awful actions he's met Nagi and everyone else (A-tan too, previously) and while he can't justify their actions, he can't even consider not hating them - he's going to try forgiving. Or maybe do a different thing - show them severely wounded and broke and lost after they got beat up in the end... and then have them stumble upon Isumi's ditzy mom. She takes these two poor souls in and hires them as butler and maid. A new story begins as they try to exploit their new comfy situation, but are constantly interrupted and freaked out by evil spirits, magic spells and the like - all the while Isumi and her mom are clueless as always, yet all the more selflessly kind for the two. They begin to see how helping others can make people happy, simple as that, and they ever so slowly begin to change for the better. Or, you know, do anything to make them more complex than "evil beyond help". Again, that aspect of their characters is freakin' fascinatingly rage-inducing, in a good way, but without anything more, it becomes shallow and disappointing.

Can't wait for more from Hata-sensei. Time to dive deeper into that monthly series of his. It starts slow, but I have high hopes.
ewormJun 9, 2017 1:21 AM
Jun 9, 2017 1:33 AM
Jan 2012
When you suddenly developed a crush on Nagi.
Hata-sensei, how did you do that?

Also, she reminds me of Shana in this scene.

I knew Hayate will either end up with 1.) No one or 2.) Nagi.
But, I was pretty sure option 2 will not happen with the way Nagi WAS. Boy, I was wrong.
Nagi suddenly gained this "charisma" and became on-par with Hina (IMO) when she used to be the "least fave girl".

Love how they develop Nagi to be more compatible with Hayate.
However, it missing so much info about the other girls' (Maria's whereabouts and Hina and Ayumu's status) after 2 years.

Overall, I'm happy with the ending and sad that it is ending.
Shall miss this series. (~T^T)~
Jun 11, 2017 4:12 PM
Jul 2016
Well look another bullshit manga like Nisekoi dragged for years for a gayass ending like that should have ended years ago of this was going to be the end . I really hate this trend of blonde tsundere ffs . The most popular girl is hina now I need a spin off like raising a boring girlfriend
Jun 12, 2017 5:22 AM

Sep 2015
HOLY SHIT HATA WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?
Anime they skip A-tan's arc and just skip it way too much to daily harem and now you do dis? A-tan need more love for good

....what happen to Maria? what happen to everyone and that shotacon maid couple?
Why Hayate gone missing to stalk Nagi's growth for 2 year? good thing Nagi look hot now imo

Anyone know what last 2ch (569 and 570) about?
Into the Internet!
Jun 13, 2017 5:58 AM

Oct 2012
I always loved HnG for the humor, cute girls, and shippings. I don't feel complex story arcs are HnG's best points but rather how well the characters interact and how much fun you can have out of a manga.

That being said, I was really rooting for Hina (but I love Ruka too), so I kinda feel let down in that aspect. I mean, Nagi's fine and all, specially since she's absolutely a different person now. But damn, not giving Hina a proper confession was rude to the character and her fans.

Kind of feel let down, but at the same time not really surprised we got this. I mean most manga end in bitter sweet ways or terrible ways. The journey was great though, I followed this manga for about 8 years and I do feel nostalgic.

Anyways, any recommendations for manga similar to HnG (humor, cute girls)?
Jun 22, 2017 8:06 AM
Aug 2013
Positive thingking.
hina x hayate ending😊
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Chapter 517 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2016

6 by TheLostLight »»
Feb 15, 10:37 PM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Chapter 569 Discussion

Icedout15 - Apr 5, 2018

3 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 13, 5:35 PM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Chapter 567 Discussion

Ishkoten - Apr 6, 2017

8 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 13, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Chapter 566 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2017

2 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 13, 3:13 AM

Poll: » Hayate no Gotoku! Chapter 565 Discussion

Ishkoten - Mar 21, 2017

11 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 13, 2:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.