Forum Settings
Forums

Yooka-Laylee devs remove Youtuber JonTron from the game due to expressing support of racist and far-right beliefs.

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 28, 2017 2:33 AM

Mar 2012
I had planned on getting the game already, but knowing that somewhere on the internet a bunch of easily offended Nazis are fuming at the idea of me buying a video game makes me even more eager to pick up a copy. These people are the spitting image of the 'SJWs' they used to make fun of.

Barusamikosu said:
1 - But it's their right to do it!
Yes, so is the right of the public to backlash. If you criticize people for "overreacting", you're contradicting this idea.
Oh yeah, you can totally do that for sure. But I also have the right to laugh in your face. I mean, come on dude. Even Jon's concededed that he understands the decision and he's an idiot.

4 - They have to protect their beliefs!
Their team of 28 consists 100% of white people: http://www.playtonicgames.com/team/
They should start hiring some blacks or muslims instead of pretending to be heroes over Twitter, if they value diversity so much.
They barely have women, what kind of bigoted, Hitler-hailing racists are these guys?
Unless you have evidence to support the claim that they're going out of their way to not hire minorities, you really shouldn't be saying that. I mean it's not like the devs are going on some guy's live stream and saying really horrible racist stuff like, just for examples sake, comparing immigration to the Tibetan genocide or saying that well off black people commit more crimes than poor white people.

Edit:
Also a well-repared team like Playtonic doing something so stupid makes me wonder if this is nothing but a marketing ploy of some sort... kinda like clickbait journalists that purposefully write enraging things just to get views/publicity. But I can't see this specific episode going well. Everyone's growing tired of these attitudes.
Who's everyone?

I don't think your worldview is as widespread as you think it is. You need to get out of that little bubble. Take Jon with you.
SeibaaHomuMar 28, 2017 2:37 AM
Mar 28, 2017 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
SeibaaHomu said:
I had planned on getting the game already, but knowing that somewhere on the internet a bunch of easily offended Nazis are fuming at the idea of me buying a video game makes me even more eager to pick up a copy. These people are the spitting image of the 'SJWs' they used to make fun of.

Barusamikosu said:
1 - But it's their right to do it!
Yes, so is the right of the public to backlash. If you criticize people for "overreacting", you're contradicting this idea.
Oh yeah, you can totally do that for sure. But I also have the right to laugh in your face. I mean, come on dude. Even Jon's concededed that he understands the decision and he's an idiot.

4 - They have to protect their beliefs!
Their team of 28 consists 100% of white people: http://www.playtonicgames.com/team/
They should start hiring some blacks or muslims instead of pretending to be heroes over Twitter, if they value diversity so much.
They barely have women, what kind of bigoted, Hitler-hailing racists are these guys?
Unless you have evidence to support the claim that they're going out of their way to not hire minorities, you really shouldn't be saying that. I mean it's not like the devs are going on some guy's live stream and saying really horrible racist stuff like, just for examples sake, comparing immigration to the Tibetan genocide or saying that well off black people commit more crimes than poor white people.

Edit:
Also a well-repared team like Playtonic doing something so stupid makes me wonder if this is nothing but a marketing ploy of some sort... kinda like clickbait journalists that purposefully write enraging things just to get views/publicity. But I can't see this specific episode going well. Everyone's growing tired of these attitudes.
Who's everyone?

I don't think your worldview is as widespread as you think it is. You need to get out of that little bubble. Take Jon with you.

Considering how many people in the gaming community are getting tired and sick of SJW's I think Barusamikosu's wordlview is a lot more widespread then you might think.

Just look at ME:A and how many people blame the SJW developers for the ugly female characters. Normally you'd only see vids on youtube that cover SJW stuff in BW get a few thousand views at most. This time however these vids get close to the hundred thousand view mark and I see more likes than dislikes so it's not like people disagree.
Mar 28, 2017 4:17 AM

Apr 2012
sullynathan said:
Immahnoob said:
Forums are made for discussion.
thanks, we know that already
Stating your opinion and claiming you won't "argue" is contrary to that, if you didn't know.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Mar 28, 2017 6:16 AM

Jun 2011
Kinda glad they fired him. He is a racist. I wouldn't want to work with a racist on my game either and have him forever etched in my artistic property even if I lost money by taking him off the project. I actually didn't realize how racist he was until this last year. And as the videos mounted with his disturbing commentary.... ummm yeah... actually happy about this decision. I would have kicked him off my project too. Nothing to do with politics mate... just can't even stand being friends with a person like that. Wouldn't want them near my art ever.

(Oh and since I am the target audience as someone who plays those 3D platformer games all the time, indie games- just lots of Nintendo. Yeah, I think my opinion actually matters here. I bought a Wii U and 3DS and I have a ton of games for both. If a person working on the game can't even hide their racism I would really prefer not to play that game. I wouldn't buy a game Anita Sarkeesian worked on. Why would I buy a game this dude worked on? Literally same reasons.)
Energetic-NovaMar 28, 2017 6:29 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 28, 2017 7:31 AM

Mar 2014
Immahnoob said:
sullynathan said:
thanks, we know that already
Stating your opinion and claiming you won't "argue" is contrary to that, if you didn't know.
it actually isn't
Mar 28, 2017 7:33 AM

Apr 2012
sullynathan said:
Immahnoob said:
it actually isn't
It is, because you've basically said you're not taking part in the discussion, which is the purpose of a forums.

Autocrat said:
Mar 28, 2017 7:35 AM

Mar 2014
Immahnoob said:
sullynathan said:
it actually isn't
It is, because you've basically said you're not taking part in the discussion, which is the purpose of a forums.
of course and no one is going to force him to do so either.
Mar 28, 2017 7:55 AM

Apr 2012
sullynathan said:
Immahnoob said:
So you agree with @Syrup-, that's ok.

Autocrat said:
Mar 28, 2017 7:57 AM

Mar 2014
Immahnoob said:
sullynathan said:
I think he was the one that caved to me
Mar 28, 2017 8:05 AM

Apr 2012
sullynathan said:
Immahnoob said:
I don't care, if you agree with my stance, that means you agree with what Syrup said previously.
So we're there, unless you have something else to say.

Autocrat said:
Mar 28, 2017 8:08 AM
Mar 2011
i think ihe was hiding hoe he felt simple as that and based on what hes said he is far right cause based on reading in to what he said he cares fir the workrs but only the white workers not a very left wing stance to take
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 28, 2017 8:29 AM

Mar 2014
Immahnoob said:
sullynathan said:
I don't care, if you agree with my stance, that means you agree with what Syrup said previously.
nah, I didn't agree
Mar 28, 2017 8:34 AM

Apr 2012
sullynathan said:
Immahnoob said:
nah, I didn't agree
But you did, Sully.

Forums are made for discussions.

Autocrat said:
Mar 28, 2017 8:37 AM

Mar 2014
Immahnoob said:
sullynathan said:
nah, I didn't agree
But you did, Sully.

Forums are made for discussions.
that's not the point he was trying to make
Mar 28, 2017 8:42 AM

Apr 2012
sullynathan said:
Syrup- said:
Then why post? You're basically masturbating in front of the forums when you say stuff like that.
It's almost as if I can surf back to page 3, quote evidence and immediately include it in my message.

Autocrat said:
Mar 28, 2017 8:46 AM

Mar 2014
Immahnoob said:
sullynathan said:
Syrup- said:
Then why post? You're basically masturbating in front of the forums when you say stuff like that.
It's almost as if I can surf back to page 3, quote evidence and immediately include it in my message.
yes you can and it still wouldn't be what he said or argued
Mar 28, 2017 8:52 AM

Apr 2012
sullynathan said:
Immahnoob said:
Hmmm, so now you're arguing that you're inept at comprehending what you yourself are quoting? Why are you quoting people then?
But that doesn't actually change what Syrup said, nor does it change the characteristics of a forum. Are you just dragging this for no reason, Sully?

Autocrat said:
Mar 28, 2017 8:58 AM

Mar 2014
Immahnoob said:
sullynathan said:
Hmmm, so now you're arguing that you're inept at comprehending what you yourself are quoting? Why are you quoting people then?
But that doesn't actually change what Syrup said, nor does it change the characteristics of a forum. Are you just dragging this for no reason, Sully?
this doesn't even make sense.
Mar 28, 2017 9:26 AM

Apr 2012
sullynathan said:
Immahnoob said:
Didn't I already tell you? There's no need to argue about your ineptitude. I know you're trying to amount more evidence for this odd position of yours, but as I said, it's a red herring.
You should sacrifice originality for practicality in this case, Sully.

Autocrat said:
Mar 28, 2017 9:40 AM

Mar 2014
Immahnoob said:
sullynathan said:
Didn't I already tell you? There's no need to argue about your ineptitude. I know you're trying to amount more evidence for this odd position of yours, but as I said, it's a red herring.
I don't need any more evidence, obviously
Mar 28, 2017 9:42 AM

Apr 2012
sullynathan said:
Immahnoob said:
I don't need any more evidence, obviously
Indeed you don't, my dude.

Autocrat said:
Mar 28, 2017 9:47 AM

Mar 2014
Stupid mal restrictions

Mar 28, 2017 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, I have some newfound respect for JonTron.

Our political views are the exact opposite, but the fact that he's not afraid to speak against immigration in a time like this... that takes balls.
Mar 28, 2017 10:30 AM

Jul 2009
Dudes, stop replying to sullynathan, he's obviously trying to derail the thread by going on a useless tangent.

SeibaaHomu said:
<sadistic gibberish about buying a children's videogame>

Woah, and here I thought racist nazis were the ones politically involved in this.
Nice job defending a company that doesn't practice what it preaches. It's the good old virtue signaling discussion. Do as I say, not as I do!

Syrup- said:
However, I think that would be them being resourceful enough to capitalize on JonTron's faux pas in his video(s), rather than a massive conspiracy where they planned this all along. If we look at it this way, it's not too much of a stretch to assume they could have done it on purpose for notoriety points.

Yes, I also believe that if it was a marketing ploy, it wasn't planned. But it's not like it's hard to "be resourceful" and asspull a new scandal over nothing if needed be, just look at Pewdiepie.
CAMPAIGN: If you write an anime review, please make it short.
You're not a writer, Jim, I want meta-information, not a teenager's impression of a clickbait journalist.

Mar 28, 2017 1:03 PM

Jan 2013
_Lightsbane said:

Our political views are the exact opposite, but the fact that he's not afraid to speak against immigration in a time like this... that takes balls.
Well he was kinda cornered and pressured into it. You're right though. To many, the subject is the elephant in the room, and he had to courage to say something about it. Even if you don't agree with him, and even it wasn't exactly well thought out, the way he's dealing with the situation is better than other people who share his viewpoint.

sullynathan said:
Immahnoob said:
Did you miss the entire part where I said that she basically came in here, contributed nothing to the discussion, and then asked to not be replied to? Or perhaps it was the part where I compared posting the same thing as everyone else, a point that had already been made several times, to circlejerking?

There's nothing profound about posts like these. To say that it wasn't what I meant or said is complete ignorance on your part. @Immahnoob got it right, why can't you?

sullynathan said:

Syrup-Mar 28, 2017 1:11 PM
Mar 28, 2017 1:12 PM

Mar 2014
Syrup- said:
_Lightsbane said:

Well he was kinda cornered and pressured into it. You're right though. To many, the subject is the elephant in the room, and he had to courage to say something about it. Even if you don't agree with him, and even it wasn't exactly well thought out, the way he's dealing with the situation is better than other people who share his viewpoint.

sullynathan said:
Did you miss the entire part where I said that she basically came in here, contributed nothing to the discussion, and then asked to not be replied to? Or perhaps it was the part where I compared posting the same thing as everyone else, a point that had already been made several times, to circlejerking?

There's nothing profound about posts like these. To say that it wasn't what I meant or said is complete ignorance on your part. @Immahnoob got it right, why can't you?
yeah, and I've replied to this a couple of pages ago. Go figure.
Mar 28, 2017 1:16 PM

Jan 2013
sullynathan said:
Syrup- said:

if you found it stupid you shouldn't have responded to it in the first place

in the future you should just take your own advice.
Mar 28, 2017 1:26 PM

Mar 2014
Syrup- said:
sullynathan said:

if you found it stupid you shouldn't have responded to it in the first place

in the future you should just take your own advice.
sorry, the advice was for you, perhaps you should have stuck with it
Mar 28, 2017 11:45 PM

Jan 2016
Absolute fucking bullshit as far as I'm concerned. Not to say I'm on JonTron's side here - I wasn't even aware of anything he said until I heard this news - but the way I see it, decisions like this one shouldn't be influenced by personal feelings, which they clearly were on the devs' part in this case. If these guys were actually rational, they would've let it slide and kept JonTron in.
Mar 29, 2017 9:34 AM

Nov 2016
You'd think by now people would have realized how you conduct yourself on social media can directly influence your standing at a job.
Mar 29, 2017 11:38 AM

Apr 2012
SpamuraiSensei said:
You'd think by now people would have realized how you conduct yourself on social media can directly influence your standing at a job.
Yeah, you're right, this stunt of theirs had them lose a ton of preorders and their Steam forums is constantly bombarded by /pol/ tier shitposting.

Autocrat said:
Mar 29, 2017 4:46 PM

Oct 2012
SpamuraiSensei said:

The real question is, how much should how you conduct yourself on social media directly influence your standing at a job?
Mar 29, 2017 10:22 PM

Nov 2016
FontSize72LOL said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

The real question is, how much should how you conduct yourself on social media directly influence your standing at a job?

Depends on the type of comments you make really. Gotta keep in mind you're kinda representing that company when you're working for them.

But the way this company handled the JonTron incident was just bad for business.
Mar 29, 2017 11:51 PM

Jan 2013
SpamuraiSensei said:
Gotta keep in mind you're kinda representing that company when you're working for them.
This mindset is an archaism that needs to be discarded. It has no place in the modern age of social media and fake news.
Mar 30, 2017 12:12 AM

Nov 2016
Syrup- said:
SpamuraiSensei said:
Gotta keep in mind you're kinda representing that company when you're working for them.
This mindset is an archaism that needs to be discarded. It has no place in the modern age of social media and fake news.

Not sure if serious.
Mar 30, 2017 12:26 AM

Jan 2013
SpamuraiSensei said:
Syrup- said:

Not sure if serious.

It's evident by situations like Donald Trump and JonTron how much people overplay the things people say, rather than their ability to do certain things. Does political stance have anything to do with how well a game plays? Does it have anything to do with how well a person performs behind the counter? Does it have anything to do with how well a person can perform tasks? Yet, in this day, we are constantly having to watch what we say on the internet, because as soon as we start sucking corporate dick, we have to act as if we are the company we are working for.

Whether or not it's realistic to believe this kind of thing should go away is about as trivial as what I have said. I know full well this kind of thing wont go away, but I will still attack it. Where one stands on the political spectrum should have nothing to do with whether or not they are allowed to keep a job. Ditching the little idea that the worker bees represent the hive is ultimately for the greater good.
Mar 31, 2017 8:07 PM

Mar 2014
FontSize72LOL said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

how is this a real question? Jontron has an easy "job" by being a dumb e-celeb.
Mar 31, 2017 8:18 PM

May 2010
sullynathan said:
FontSize72LOL said:

If it's so easy then why don't you do it?
Mar 31, 2017 8:20 PM

Oct 2012
sullynathan said:
FontSize72LOL said:

I wasn't speaking about Jon Tron specifically, but in general. I fail to see why its a dumb question considering there have been actual cases where saying something in private has cost them a significant setback in their career.

But hey, Jontron might be a "dumb e-celeb" but he's probably more successful than you or I, for that matter, will ever be. Nice job showing your salt though.
Mar 31, 2017 8:46 PM

Mar 2014
Thrashinuva said:
sullynathan said:

After all I am a YouTuber

FontSize72LOL said:
sullynathan said:

I wasn't speaking about Jon Tron specifically, but in general. I fail to see why its a dumb question considering there have been actual cases where saying something in private has cost them a significant setback in their career.

But hey, Jontron might be a "dumb e-celeb" but he's probably more successful than you or I, for that matter, will ever be. Nice job showing your salt though.

Jontron is a YouTuber, he said something on YouTube in front of 100,000+ people. I don't see how this compares.
Don't worry, I'm not salty because of an e-celeb
Mar 31, 2017 8:51 PM

Oct 2012
sullynathan said:
Thrashinuva said:

FontSize72LOL said:

Jontron is a YouTuber, he said something on YouTube in front of 100,000+ people. I don't see how this compares.
Don't worry, I'm not salty because of an e-celeb

He is also not a politician or in a position where he has any ability to enforce his opinions. Is the kneejerk reaction really necessary?
Mar 31, 2017 8:57 PM

Mar 2014
FontSize72LOL said:

He is also not a politician or in a position where he has any ability to enforce his opinions. Is the kneejerk reaction really necessary?

This is why I originally asked if this was a real question. Imagine having random people on the internet be mad on your behalf that some indie developer removed your voice from a game because of things you said.

people have been fired from real jobs for far less.
Mar 31, 2017 9:35 PM

Jan 2013
sullynathan said:
Thrashinuva said:
I've never heard of you.

sullynathan said:
This is why I originally asked if this was a real question. Imagine having random people on the internet be mad on your behalf that some indie developer removed your voice from a game because of things you said.
This is going to happen when you become a household name over the years. Even my normie friends knew who JonTron was. Same for pewdiepie.

people have been fired from real jobs for far less.
Does that make it right?
Mar 31, 2017 9:53 PM

Mar 2014
Syrup- said:
I've never heard of you.

cool

Syrup- said:
Does that make it right?

yes

Syrup- said:
This is going to happen when you become a household name over the years. Even my normie friends knew who JonTron was. Same for pewdiepie.

nah, not gonna happen
Mar 31, 2017 10:18 PM

Jan 2013
sullynathan said:
nah, not gonna happen
Sorry, it has happened. Get out from that rock, you potato.
Apr 5, 2017 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know why people would rate it so badly, looks great to me

Apr 5, 2017 12:45 PM

Apr 2012
Neane93 said:
I don't know why people would rate it so badly, looks great to me

Wew, the comments are infested with lots of retardation.

Autocrat said:
Apr 5, 2017 1:15 PM

Feb 2016
Fai said:
Talk Shit - Get hit. Fair game.

JonTron expressed extremely racist views, advocated eugenics, ethnic cleansing and other morally deplorable things, while denouncing other races as "genetically predisposed towards Crime" and the like.

Examples:
"Oppression does not exist in america!" - https://clips.twitch.tv/BlitheRockyPotatoPastaThat
"They want to take the whiteness away" - https://clips.twitch.tv/HotLuckyShingleVoteNay
"Wealthy blacks commit more crime than poor whites. THATS A FACT" - https://clips.twitch.tv/TalentedSavoryTroutLitty

The whole debate stream and most of his overall comments have more gems like implying "black people are born with predisposition to crime", talking how "assimilating other races would taint the gene pool", how "colonization was actually good for america" and the like. My personal favorite is his batshit insane claim that "mexican immigrants are invaders trying to reclaim lands from USA".

These are good summaries of this individuals behavior. Unlike Pewdiepie its not just insensitive jokes or ignorance.
http://gizmodo.com/popular-youtuber-jontron-has-some-batshit-crazy-thought-1793231221

Sure he has every right to say those things, even if they are completely deplorable and devoid of humanity and sounds like he is reciting out of infowars or racistbart, etc. Its his right. AS is the right of Companies and people, wanting to cut ties with such individual, to do so.

Clexa said:
gamers: take politics out of video games

playtonic: ok

gamers: put politics back in video games

Basically. Racists always are the first to tout "freedom of speech" or raging how "censorship is unethical", while laughing at those "silly special snowflakes with their safespaces".

yet the moment it turns around on them they are the first to cry that they are being oppressed.

The "politics" arguments is only used when it is about something that clashes with their beliefs. Everything else? Totally not politics to them.

Cagliyora said:

1. He has a lot of fans that don't have a problem refunding the game or outright bashing the game. As a mater of fact a lot of people have already gone ahead and done just that.

If they support racist beliefs, good riddance. Its not even his fans mostly. Even his subreddit was filled with his own fans confused and shocked at his behavior. This is just usual internet hategroups bandwagoning to defend their precious white supremacist.

And yeah that might seem petty to some but when you take a popular youtuber on board for obivous positive publicity you should also look out for the negative publicity when you brush the guy aside like that.

Considering he just outed himself as a racist, keeping him would be associating with nazis, which nobody wants to do. That's just sensible business. As a company and as a human being you DO NOT want to be associated with hatespeech.

2. This will be seen as another company that gives into censorhip/SJW's which is never good publicity. I mean just look at Bioware.

Upholding your beliefs is not censorship. You can't "censor yourself out of your own free will". They have every right to distance themselves from someone who is racist and pretty much spreads hate speech. It goes against their values and what they stand for. Its their right.
Cutting your ties with racists is not "censorship" its common sense. There can be no tolerance for racism or hate speech overall.
Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence.

Woah dude chill Jontron isnt a racist.

He is right

Colonialism has helped America

Race mixing equates to the taintment of a gene pool

Some mexicans see some US states as former territories belonging to the Spanish Empire

Those statements are not racist however you can perceive them as racist if you get too emotional and irrational

DildryApr 5, 2017 1:19 PM
Apr 11, 2017 5:56 AM

Apr 2012
Hey guys, this was the voice of JonTron in this shit game.

Autocrat said:
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Apr 17

39 by Kazeninjaryu1 »»
2 hours ago

» What was the very first video game you ever played? As well your first game console?

Kazeninjaryu1 - Yesterday

14 by Horizon248 »»
5 hours ago

» GTA V vs GTA IV

tectacles - May 2

9 by Horizon248 »»
5 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

5 by DreamWindow »»
10 hours ago

» The Mike Pollock drama that is going on recently will go down in history!

funtime43_tr - May 4

6 by deg »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.