Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 6, 2017 5:04 PM
Apr 2016
It would be really cool if they could add a tag for isekai or "Other world" anime. I know fantasy is somewhat similar, but there's a key difference between transportation to a new world and just exploring a fictional one.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
TenshoApr 6, 2019 6:41 AM
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 6, 2017 6:38 PM

Apr 2014
There's gonna be a lot of people on your tail about spoiler this and spoiler that so just a heads up :[
Mar 6, 2017 6:42 PM
Apr 2016
KazuyaKujo said:
There's gonna be a lot of people on your tail about spoiler this and spoiler that so just a heads up :[

Most Of them include it in their synopsis though, I'm just looking for a more efficient way tosearch for this type of anime/Light Novel
Mar 6, 2017 6:45 PM

May 2013
IMO, it's not the spoilers or not, it's simply that it was already suggested before too I think, like at least 5-10 (or more) other tags that could be added and would be useful, but the staff just simply ignores them all the time.
Mar 11, 2017 5:28 PM
Apr 2016
Sora_92 said:
IMO, it's not the spoilers or not, it's simply that it was already suggested before too I think, like at least 5-10 (or more) other tags that could be added and would be useful, but the staff just simply ignores them all the time.

Well, I still want it lol
Jul 17, 2017 3:52 PM

Oct 2015
I 100% approve this. There's no reason to not do this, it's simply useful.
Jul 17, 2017 6:11 PM
Jul 17, 2017 6:13 PM

Jun 2012
_Ako_ said:
Ohhh will you look at the fantasy tag here.
There are different tags for mecha and science fiction 2.
Jul 17, 2017 6:16 PM

Feb 2015
YorozuyaGinSanee said:
_Ako_ said:
Ohhh will you look at the fantasy tag here.
There are different tags for mecha and science fiction 2.

Both are not fappable by any means.
Jul 25, 2017 6:48 PM

Oct 2015
BUMP.

MAKE THIS A THING <3
Jul 25, 2017 7:59 PM

Jul 2017
yeah, i agree
Jul 26, 2017 1:03 AM

Jun 2015
Imo the harem tag is more spoilerish. The fucking harem tag ruined the whole nisekoi anime for me

This needs to be added.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 26, 2017 2:54 PM

Feb 2016
Definitly need one,
Would make it alot easier for me too find Isekai series
Jul 26, 2017 10:43 PM

Jun 2011
I support this.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Sep 23, 2017 8:28 PM
Jun 2016
IT'S quickly becoming a catagory of it's own, would love to just be able to search for them, especially in manga where there are so many.
Sep 23, 2017 8:35 PM

Sep 2009
Yeah, both Isekai and reincarnation would be useful tags.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 23, 2017 8:39 PM

Aug 2014
Yeah i guess so.
Isekai simply MC who got transfered to another world or reincarnated as the main plot line.
Sep 23, 2017 8:43 PM
Jun 2016
Xaelath said:
Yeah i guess so.
Isekai simply MC who got transfered to another world or reincarnated as the main plot line.

well reincarnation and isekai overlap, but not nescarily the same thing.

Like would things like sword art, and .hack count as isekai.
Sep 23, 2017 9:15 PM
Jun 2016
throughbeingcool said:
meh, its essentially a sub-genre of fantasy much like iyashikei is to SoL

Maybe, but sub catagories might be a idea, I'm not always looking for all of a catagory.

Plus better way to tell what kind of anime something is heh.
Sep 23, 2017 11:26 PM

Aug 2014
wolfwing said:
Xaelath said:
Yeah i guess so.

well reincarnation and isekai overlap, but not nescarily the same thing.

Like would things like sword art, and .hack count as isekai.

I dont think both count as Isekai.
SAO is simply driven to game world, the person still alive.

Not sure about hack, never watched it. I only heard about the game.
Oct 9, 2017 1:01 PM
Jul 2017
Would be so helpful!
Oct 9, 2017 1:03 PM

Jan 2013
Isekai would be a useful tag.
Fantasy is a bit too vague at this point.
Oct 9, 2017 1:04 PM

Jan 2014
yea MAL needs to add a Isekai tab
Oct 9, 2017 2:57 PM

May 2010
this would be nice, i made my own tags manually as best i could on my own list for Isekai tagging (includes some time and dimension/VR too), because i doubt they would add it.
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/ShaggyZE?status=7&order=4&order2=2&tag=WTD
ShaggyZEApr 7, 2018 7:32 AM
Oct 9, 2017 6:51 PM

Apr 2014
Not enough Isekai yet, it needs to be at least 100. (excluding sequels)
Haters always gonna hate.
Oct 9, 2017 7:09 PM

Aug 2016
Rayzer said:

Well excluding sequels I wouldn't be surprised if the Police genre has >100 entries, especially with shows like Detective Conan and Ghost in the Shell there
Oct 9, 2017 7:19 PM

Apr 2014
DancingTheBa said:
Rayzer said:

Well excluding sequels I wouldn't be surprised if the Police genre has >100 entries, especially with shows like Detective Conan and Ghost in the Shell there
That "Police" genre existed decades ago.
And Isekai was so new compared to that.
Well, maybe lower it to 50 then?

EDIT: Still needs to be 100 considering how shit the anime industry had become.
Oct 9, 2017 7:28 PM

Aug 2016
Rayzer said:
DancingTheBa said:

That "Police" genre existed decades ago.
And Isekai was so new compared to that.
Well, maybe lower it to 50 then?

EDIT: Still needs to be 100 considering how shit the anime industry had become.

Well either way I don't think the Isekai genre is gonna be that popular in a couple years anyway, nor like you said I don't think there's enough to warrant it getting a new genre set in place for it. Maybe like how manga has a genderbender genre unlike anime that can get one (I don't actually know how many Isekai manga, ect there are though) Plus I don't really think we need a new genre on mal just for people getting sent to another world, its kind of specific and I doubt many people would use/need it in the first place..

Oct 9, 2017 7:48 PM

Apr 2014
DancingTheBa said:
Well either way I don't think the Isekai genre is gonna be that popular in a couple years anyway, nor like you said I don't think there's enough to warrant it getting a new genre set in place for it. Maybe like how manga has a genderbender genre unlike anime that can get one (I don't actually know how many Isekai manga, ect there are though) Plus I don't really think we need a new genre on mal just for people getting sent to another world, its kind of specific and I doubt many people would use/need it in the first place..
Nyahahaha, have you ever been on the News Discussion board?
It was swarming there like every fuck'n season.
Seriously are you supporting or against this?
Oct 9, 2017 8:12 PM
Jun 2016
Rayzer said:

well it's pretty close to it in manga.
Oct 9, 2017 8:19 PM

Aug 2016
Rayzer said:
DancingTheBa said:
Nyahahaha, have you ever been on the News Discussion board?
It was swarming there like every fuck'n season.
Seriously are you supporting or against this?

I'm on the "I couldn't care less" side. And I actually never went on the news discussion board so I have no clue what you're talking about!!1!
Oct 9, 2017 8:38 PM

Apr 2014
DancingTheBa said:

I'm on the "I couldn't care less" side. And I actually never went on the news discussion board so I have no clue what you're talking about!!1!
Here > https://myanimelist.net/forum/search?q=Isekai&u=&uloc=1&loc=15
Some doesn't have "Isekai" on the title, but it's getting an unwanted attention from the Anime Industry.
And go to that board so you will be updated on what happening on the Anime and Manga industry/community.

tingo_ said:
The problem I can see with an Isekai tag would instances like Hunter x Hunter's greed island arc, which is essentially isekai but would mislead people if a tag were to say isekai. I think that's part of the reason that everything goes under "fantasy" rather than overcomplicate it with more specific genres.
Yep, that thing too, I remember it's the pioneer of "Isekai genre" (and has that blame for starting it) or there's much earlier example?

Oct 9, 2017 8:40 PM

Aug 2016
Rayzer said:
DancingTheBa said:

Here > https://myanimelist.net/forum/search?q=Isekai&u=&uloc=1&loc=15
Some doesn't have "Isekai" on the title, but it's getting an unwanted attention from the Anime Industry.
And go to that board so you will be updated on what happening on the Anime and Manga industry/community.

tingo_ said:
The problem I can see with an Isekai tag would instances like Hunter x Hunter's greed island arc, which is essentially isekai but would mislead people if a tag were to say isekai. I think that's part of the reason that everything goes under "fantasy" rather than overcomplicate it with more specific genres.
Yep, that thing too, I remember it's the pioneer of "Isekai genre" or there's much earlier example?

Well most of those were announcing cast members and OVA's for already existing shows. (And just the same show repeated several times)
And I forgot that was a section on MAL, might start actually looking at it every now and then again.
Oct 9, 2017 8:45 PM

Apr 2014
DancingTheBa said:

Well most of those were announcing cast members and OVA's for already existing shows. (And just the same show repeated several times)
And I forgot that was a section on MAL, might start actually looking at it every now and then again.
That's why I said "some" because of Sword Art Online, No Game No Life (NGNL) garbages and Log Horizon doesn't have "Isekai" on the title.
Oct 9, 2017 9:46 PM
Jul 2018
the fuck does isekai mean anyway
Oct 9, 2017 9:54 PM
Jun 2016
spuukiebuugi said:
the fuck does isekai mean anyway

Another world, esentially anime's where the main char some how ends up in a different world for some reason or another.

re:zero
knight's and magick
in another world with my smartphone

And others, might also include sword art online and such.
Oct 10, 2017 3:17 AM
Jul 2018
it'd be pretty nice. there are other old anime that are isekai too now just these new ones
Oct 10, 2017 3:22 AM

Sep 2017
Make this happen mal. Seriously too many isekais out there.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 10, 2017 4:22 AM

Apr 2015
Yeah, why not ? I agree in a certain way that it became a genre itself.
Dec 26, 2017 10:10 AM

Dec 2017
Yeah just what the title says. It would be great just clicking the Isekai genre and finding a bunch of (probably) good, laidback anime. Thx
GolemGold said:
I don't like mainstream animes *<*
Dec 26, 2017 10:33 AM

Apr 2014
@GolemGold
You just registered yesterday now you are suggesting?
It's already suggested. https://myanimelist.net/forum/search?q=Isekai+&u=&uloc=1&loc=4
Read rules first, before posting. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=4555
Dec 26, 2017 11:22 AM

Dec 2017
Rayzer said:
@GolemGold
You just registered yesterday now you are suggesting?
It's already suggested. https://myanimelist.net/forum/search?q=Isekai+&u=&uloc=1&loc=4
Read rules first, before posting. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=4555

kk calm down (I guess I was being a bit quick). It still hasn't been added though. It doesn't let me delete this
GolemGold said:
I don't like mainstream animes *<*
Dec 26, 2017 7:48 PM

Jun 2011
There should be an Isekai genre.

Let me try to name as many as possible, I am including reborn in another world stories, and time travel stories where it is clearly not the same world:

1.Digimon
2. Isekai Shokudou (Restaurant to Another World)
3.No Game No Life
4.Vision of Escaflowne
5.GATE
6.Drifters
7.Re:Creators
8.Konosuba
9.Hataraku Maou-sama!
10.Re:Zero
11. El Hazard
12. Magic Knight Rayearth
13. Inuyasha
14. The Familiar of Zero
15. Fushigi Yugi
16.Sword Art Online
17. .Hack Sign
18. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
19.Now and Then, Here and There
20. Log Horizen
21. Overlord
22. Flip Flappers
23. Grimgar
24. Accel World
25. Twelve Kingdoms
26. Izumo: Takeki Tsurugi no Senki
27. Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai
28.Outbreak Company
29. Yamibou
30. Youjo Senki
31. Knight's & Magic
32. Spirited Away
33. Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.
34. Ixion Saga DT
35. Dog Days
36. Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica
37.Those Who Hunt Elves
38. Alice SOS
39. Fushigi no Kuni no Alice
40. Miyuki-chan in Wonderland
41. Pandora Hearts
42. Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar
43. Oda Nobuna no Yabou
44. Sengoku Otome: Momoiro Paradox
45. Munto
46. Dual Parallel! Trouble Adventures
47. Licca-chan Fushigi na Fushigi na Yunia Monogatari
48. Angel Beats
49. Kyou kara Maou!
50. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa
51. Nobunaga Concerto
52. Kiba
53. Arata Kangatari
54. Garzey's Wing
55. Death Parade
56. Blood Lad
57. Haibane Renmei
58. Space Oz no Bouken
59. Oz no Mahoutsukai (movie)
60. Oz no Mahoutsukai (tv)
61. Trinity Seven
62. 18if
63. Yu Yu Hakusho
64. Majokko Shimai no Yoyo to Nene
65. Hottarake no Shima: Haruka to Mahou no Kagami
66. Tsubasa Chronicle
67.Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland
68. Yumekui Merry
69. Kamigami no Asobi
70. God Mazinger
71. Future Police Urashiman
72. Capricorn
73. Oyayubi Hime Monogatari Movie
74. Eien no Aseria: Spirit of Eternity Sword
75. Sentou Yousei Shoujo Tasukete! Mave-chan
76. EndRide
77. Hello Kitty no Fushigi no Kuni no Alice
78. gdgd men's party
79. Tama-Pawns
80. The Boy and the Beast
81. Naruto Shippuden Movie 6: Road to Ninja
82. Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest
83. Idaten Jump
84. Final Fantasy Unlimited
85. Marie & Gali
86. Mon Colle Knights
87. Bakegyamon
88. Girls Bravo
89. Shining Tears X Wind
90. Monster Rancher
91. Himiko-Den
92. Strange Dawn
93. Jurassic Tripper
94. Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu
95. Matantei Loki Ragnarok
96. Sonic X
97. Tales of Symphonia The Animation: Sylvarant-hen
98. Koisuru Tenshi Angelique: Kagayaki no Ashita
99. This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
100. Harukanaru Toki no Naka de: Hachiyou Shou

If some of these are not Isekai enough, (maybe a couple as I have not seen some of these) yeah sure... but same time, realize that many of these do have sequels which are listed as separate entries which are also Isekai- example, Digimon. I tried to stick to things which involved teleporting to the new world in a strange way but, hey, if all time travel anime could be included as well as all interdemential travel, would definitely help it as a subgenre of Adventure Fantasy and Scifi. Would have perosnally Included things like Time Bouken. All anime where they travel to the dream world should as a major theme should be included such as Paprika.
I do think more literal traveling to another world by space, should just stay space though. Time travel with in your own world by use of a machine should probably not be included. But same time, time travel/Dimension/ telelport. doesn't matter if they fell down a well, went on the internet too much and were sucked into a world, or used a machine in my opinion. And it would be great space to put all these anime which have similar themes. Some like Erased really are a POOF type situation even if it is in his own world, it does have many of the same tropes the other stuff has. Most of these stories share a fish out of water feeling. And I think that is the primary driving force behind people going back to these stories.
Energetic-NovaDec 26, 2017 8:17 PM
Dec 26, 2017 8:00 PM

Oct 2013
^ Accel World isn't isekai. So is Sprisited Away and Death Parade. Those aren't "transported to another world" since it's still the same world. Just a different part of it. I don't know about the others but you could put a lot of those in the Fantasy genre.

Also, isekai is just a setting or premise. Not a genre in and of itself. So I don't think it needs it's own tag.
Dec 26, 2017 9:35 PM

Jun 2011
-Riptide- said:
^ Accel World isn't isekai. So is Sprisited Away and Death Parade. Those aren't "transported to another world" since it's still the same world. Just a different part of it. I don't know about the others but you could put a lot of those in the Fantasy genre.

Also, isekai is just a setting or premise. Not a genre in and of itself. So I don't think it needs it's own tag.

Yes it is. They go to another world.

"10-year-old Chihiro (Rumi Hiiragi) and her parents (Takashi Naitô, Yasuko Sawaguchi) stumble upon a seemingly abandoned amusement park. After her mother and father are turned into giant pigs, Chihiro meets the mysterious Haku (Miyu Irino), who explains that the park is a resort for supernatural beings who need a break from their time spent in the earthly realm, and that she must work there to free herself and her parents."

She is LITERALLY trapped in another world. XD It is down to the last detail what Isekai is. She spends her whole time trying to get home and saving her parents.

In Alice in Wonderland for example, she either falls asleep, falls down a hole or falls through a mirror. Alice in Wonderland is a good example of Isekai. Another good example is Wizard of Oz. Trapped in another world, spends whole time trying to get home. Was just dreaming the whole time. Except she wasn't, cause she could go back (later books).

Spirited Away, she is clearly in another dimension. Death Parade is purgatory. Also another dimension.
Energetic-NovaDec 26, 2017 9:40 PM
Dec 26, 2017 10:31 PM

Oct 2014
Rayzer said:
Depending on how vague you want the definition to be, things like Magic Tree House, Maid Dragon, and even FMA 03 would count as isekai. There's no way there are fewer than 100. Heck, I'm sure I could name 100 just from the ones I've seen.
Dec 26, 2017 11:27 PM

Dec 2009
an isekai and/or reincarnation tag would be extremely useful since it is now something that people either look for or avoid.
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 27, 2017 4:53 PM

Apr 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
Rayzer said:
Depending on how vague you want the definition to be, things like Magic Tree House, Maid Dragon, and even FMA 03 would count as isekai. There's no way there are fewer than 100. Heck, I'm sure I could name 100 just from the ones I've seen.
The two except Kobayashi's Dragon Maid isn't "Isekai". (And If you can list 100, please do it.)
It's already a define plot, somebody was been transported to another world. But those are fantasy world.
Amagi Brilliant Park would actually count as Isekai, but not those you listed.
Dec 27, 2017 4:54 PM

Sep 2009
No, you can't. They don't look at this subforum.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 2, 2018 4:01 AM

Feb 2015
Previously mentioned SAO - characters basically live in fantasy like rpg world so for many it would count as isekai but then there are people thinking it's wrong because only their minds are transported.
Accel World shouldn't count as isekai show either because characters can move into game world and fight with each other to earn exp / levels which would give them new abilities and then exit and live normally in real world.
Neither Death Parade should be included because the main plot isn't about someone transported to another world and discovering it but about people who enter a bar and play games. Only later we discover what that place really is so using isekai tag would be not only incorrect but also a spoiler.

I'd rather not have it as a tag because of different definitions one can have. It'd be too misleading.
It's just a trope you can find in anime / manga and let it stay that way.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.