Forum Settings
Forums

Tokyo 2020 Olympics names famous anime characters as their ambassadors....

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 5, 2017 11:24 PM

Sep 2015
Your signature gets me excited everytime I see it. Barely able to see nipples but no nipples.
Feb 5, 2017 11:26 PM

Aug 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Goku, Naruto, Astroboy and Sailor Moon are popular among westerners.
Yes, but they're popular in Japan too. There's a fair bit of overlap between anime popular in Japan and anime popular in the West but they also have some titles that the other one doesn't.
Yeah there is overlap so I don't get your point about that they chose characters popular in Japan and not what westerners would want. They mainly chose characters that are popular worldwide.
Feb 5, 2017 11:35 PM

Oct 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
zombie_pegasus said:
Yes, but they're popular in Japan too. There's a fair bit of overlap between anime popular in Japan and anime popular in the West but they also have some titles that the other one doesn't.
Yeah there is overlap so I don't get your point about that they chose characters popular in Japan and not what westerners would want. They mainly chose characters that are popular worldwide.
What I meant is that Precure and Shin-chan aren't even that well known outside of the anime community in the West. Things like Bleach and SAO would be more relevant here.
Feb 5, 2017 11:42 PM

Aug 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
DrGeroCreation said:
What I meant is that Precure and Shin-chan aren't even that well known outside of the anime community in the West. Things like Bleach and SAO would be more relevant here.
Okay I see what you mean now. They didn't just choose characters from anime that would be easily recognizable to westerners.
Feb 6, 2017 12:02 AM

Dec 2013
Putting anime characters aside, I am actually a bit shocked at the whole idea. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought anime was a niche thing even for Japan? I'm sure most Japanese people are at least aware of anime, but aren't fans themselves.

I was shocked because it seems like a pretty bold move that basically is saying how Japan = anime. I would figure Japan wouldn't want to be known ONLY for their anime, plus I imagine mainly Western influence led to this. As for the rest of the world, I think they would be scratching their heads a bit at this.
Feb 6, 2017 12:37 AM

Jan 2015
Wait, is that video for real(official) as there exclusion of that famous cat robot
or this ambassador not mascot related I don't understand

la critique de l'intention pure
Feb 6, 2017 1:34 AM
Feb 2014
Were people seriously expecting that R-rated characters would be chosen?

Oh man.. The self-awareness in the anime community is dead.
Feb 6, 2017 2:30 AM

Jan 2016
I have honestly watched none of these... but I do support it and think it is a nice strategy to drive up attention. Give the westerners who are really into anime or moderately into anime a reason to watch or go to the Olympics while also giving someone who has only watched one of the select anime mentioned a reason to watch or go to the Olympics ;)
Feb 6, 2017 2:31 AM

Feb 2010
did shonen jump pay to have all there characters there? jk

still that is a lot of shonen jump characters
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 6, 2017 3:26 AM

Apr 2014
Pullman said:
Clebardman said:
Where's Rei? These Olympics will be shiiiiiiiiite!!! >:c

Mascots are supposed to be upbeat and motivating. I guess none of the NGE characters qualified :>.
Shinji is pretty upbeat and scream a lot tho and Misato is pretty lewd and also a pretty good motivator
Feb 6, 2017 3:45 AM

Jan 2011
There was some promo picture last year that showed them all. Youkai Watch is pretty big in Japan, but I'd say Pikachu would be the better choice for that sheer global recognition. Hopefully it'll give YW a boost so we can start seeing some subs again.

That "Petty Cure" typo though
ReaperCreeperFeb 6, 2017 3:49 AM
Feb 6, 2017 3:52 AM

Feb 2016
Shin chan is the best representative mascot amongst those 😂
Feb 6, 2017 6:07 AM

Jul 2015
Pikachu is too well known. He is so closely associated with the Pokémon franchise that including him would overshadow the rest of the characters.

Also noticed that none of them are recently created characters aside from Yo Jibanyan. I wonder if the did this to avoid any sort of favoritism towards more recent series.

My only disappointment is that they didn't pick Gon Freecss. His youth and energy would have been a perfect match.
Feb 6, 2017 6:16 AM

Jun 2008
kamisaka said:
Putting anime characters aside, I am actually a bit shocked at the whole idea. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought anime was a niche thing even for Japan? I'm sure most Japanese people are at least aware of anime, but aren't fans themselves.

I was shocked because it seems like a pretty bold move that basically is saying how Japan = anime. I would figure Japan wouldn't want to be known ONLY for their anime, plus I imagine mainly Western influence led to this. As for the rest of the world, I think they would be scratching their heads a bit at this.

That whole "Japan doesn't really care about anime" thing is complete bullshit.

Akihabara exists....I mean for fucks sake it is nothing but anime, games, hentai, and manga in that place.

Store after store of pure otaku paradise.

And then there's Comiket....which happens two times a year and literally brings MILLIONS of fans to that 3 day event.

I don't buy it for one second.....Japan LOVES anime/manga they probably just don't want to admit it.
Feb 6, 2017 9:01 AM

Jun 2015
goku will win more medals than phelps
Feb 6, 2017 9:20 AM

Dec 2013
Well done, all of them are pretty famous characters both and outside of Japan, even someone not familiar with anime knows them.
And loled at people nomming Bleach, like seriously? 5 years ago maybe, but now?

@Kamisaka "I thought anime was a niche thing even for Japan?"
Nah they love anime enough to put 2 anime on their top 2 all time box office, and some more on their top 20 overall.
Feb 6, 2017 9:35 AM

May 2016
I'm very surprised one of the characters in Yokai Watch represent it. I mean, it's not like I'm in Japan but... Yokai Watch is nothing (based in popularity) compared to Death Note or Cardraptor Sakura.
Feb 6, 2017 9:50 AM

May 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
I like how they used characters from anime that are popular in Japan rather than trying to pander to what Westerners would want. However, I do question why Detective Conan was left out. I'm fairly certain that he's the most popular anime character in Japan.

I also agree. I thought that Detective Conan would also be on there as he really is popular.

Feb 6, 2017 10:02 AM

Oct 2014
kamisaka said:

When you think about it, football isn't something that every single American is a fan of but they still take pride in it. 60% of Japanese people watch at least some anime. How many of these people are just watching an episode of Pokemon a week and how many are watching 12 episodes a day wasn't reported in those statistics. Anime as a whole isn't niche in Japan any more than watching sports is niche in the United States.
Feb 6, 2017 10:16 AM

Jul 2015
SuzuMine-chan said:
I'm very surprised one of the characters in Yokai Watch represent it. I mean, it's not like I'm in Japan but... Yokai Watch is nothing (based in popularity) compared to Death Note or Cardraptor Sakura.

They are going after the younger audience. Yokai Watch is right up their alley, while Death Note is not.
Feb 6, 2017 10:42 AM

Feb 2016
No Pikachu surprised me. Other then that, the names were as expected.
Feb 6, 2017 10:46 AM

Jun 2015
No natsu? Pikachu? or even Kirito bruh

These are more mainstream than Astro boy and Shin-chan (I love shin-chan, but it's not that well known in the west. It's well known in the Netherlands though)
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Feb 6, 2017 10:47 AM

Jun 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
DrGeroCreation said:
zombie_pegasus said:
DrGeroCreation said:

around 300 episodes of Shin-Chan were aired in The Netherlands. And EVERYONE under 25 knows Shin-Chan. E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Feb 6, 2017 10:49 AM

Oct 2013
ShyGuyDY said:
Why isn't this the official gesture of the Tokyo Olympics?

I will be disappoint if I don't see at least ONE athlete do this when they get a medal

Jeez, time to get fit on a world class level. How much money to bribe the athletes to lose so I can Jojo pose up on the winner stand?
I've officially sworn off of 2016.
Feb 6, 2017 2:38 PM

Feb 2015
Yokai Watch, but no Pokémon? Interesting...
Feb 6, 2017 3:34 PM

Mar 2014
They should've gone with Gogo Yubari and Inferno Cop instead
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 6, 2017 3:51 PM

May 2015
Glad to see Astroboy on there. I was expecting a Gundam...but I wouldn't want the Olympic games to be represented by a war machine...

What I do wonder is, since this is the Olympic games, why didn't they choose a sports anime representative? I think Ippo should have been on there.
Feb 8, 2017 4:07 PM
Sep 2013
JustALEX said:

Akihabara exists....I mean for fucks sake it is nothing but anime, games, hentai, and manga in that place.

Store after store of pure otaku paradise.

And then there's Comiket....which happens two times a year and literally brings MILLIONS of fans to that 3 day event.

I don't buy it for one second.....Japan LOVES anime/manga they probably just don't want to admit it.

I think most people read manga in Japan anyway.

Anime as seasonal anime people here watch are mostly relatively niche as 95% of total population in Japan probably have never heard of even popular late-night anime such as Clannad or SAO or Fate,so in a way most "seasonal" anime are niche.

If they have decent budget live action movie and 400k~500k manga sales,they often have mainstream recogniton regard less it has late-night anime or not.
Parasyte,Death Note,Assasination class room,Chihayafuru,Your lie in April,Tokyo Ghoul are pretty well known to masses even though they have late-night anime.

Also comiket has 550 k visitor in 3 days.
Feb 8, 2017 4:58 PM

Jul 2014
Cthuko Cthuga or GTFO, Olympics!!!
Feb 8, 2017 5:01 PM

May 2015
Where is this character?!!

https://myanimelist.net/character/2515/Pico
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 8, 2017 6:44 PM

Apr 2016
I'm not overly familiar with the Olympic "ambassador" thing, but is it a requirement that they be pre-existing characters?

If they wanted to go the anime route, I think it would've been great if they got a variety of different character designers -- perhaps even artists from these series -- to create original characters. Perhaps even something similar to OS-tans, but with the different types of sports.
Feb 8, 2017 7:40 PM

Aug 2008
kamisaka said:

It's what Japan known for outside Japan. In Japan itself, it's true it still niche.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 8, 2017 7:49 PM

Jul 2013
I'm glad to see that my waifu is there.
Feb 8, 2017 11:33 PM

Feb 2017
That's cool but it Shin-chan old enough for Olympics? :D
Feb 8, 2017 11:44 PM
Jul 2018
it is a good thing, let ANIME be more popular all over the world
Feb 9, 2017 6:43 PM

Feb 2015
if they dont homage akira in the opening ceremony then that will be a huge letdown.
Feb 9, 2017 6:46 PM
Mar 2011
Zapredon said:
kamisaka said:

It's what Japan known for outside Japan. In Japan itself, it's true it still niche.

when some manga have sold over 100 mlioon unit in japan alone id say you know nothing
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 9, 2017 7:08 PM

Dec 2016
Imaishi said:
No Satsuki.
Fucking dropped before the airing time lmao

I agree. This is more true to her character though. She would have no interest in promoting the games to the lowly masses. Plus, she'd probably say that giving medals for second and third place is disgraceful - only the truly elite deserve such recognition.

OT: I'm not surprised by any of the selections, except I would've expected something from Pokémon.
Feb 9, 2017 8:01 PM

Aug 2008
DateYutaka said:
Zapredon said:

when some manga have sold over 100 mlioon unit in japan alone id say you know nothing

I'm talking about anime not manga. And if you are talking about total manga of course it will reach 100 million since the same people buy more than one volume of manga and that only applicable to mainstream manga. Long running manga is also expected to have more than 100 million sales in total.

Yumehara, someone from Japan also stated here that anime is not popular in Japan.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1535947&show=60#msg47056794
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Yumehara
ZapredonFeb 9, 2017 8:06 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 9, 2017 8:07 PM
Mar 2011
Zapredon said:
DateYutaka said:

I'm talking about anime not manga. And if you are talking about total manga of course it will reach 100 million since the same people buy more than one volume of manga and that only applicable to mainstream manga.

Yumehara, someone from Japan also stated here that anime is not popular in Japan.

late night anime is not that know that is common knowigae every one shuld no that

and goig back in time DB as franchise on tv got high av ratings no os muchnay more

late nigh anime that people thing=k in mainstem is not na d never has benn
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 9, 2017 8:14 PM

Aug 2008
DateYutaka said:
Zapredon said:

I'm talking about anime not manga. And if you are talking about total manga of course it will reach 100 million since the same people buy more than one volume of manga and that only applicable to mainstream manga.

late night anime is not that know that is common knowigae every one shuld no that

and goig back in time DB as franchise on tv got high av ratings no os muchnay more

I don't know if I interpret you correctly since I always have trouble trying to read your post.
Not sure if late night anime is reason for it being unpopular, but regardless, anime is still not popular right except for mainstream stuff like Naruto,OP.

Feb 9, 2017 8:17 PM
Mar 2011
Zapredon said:
DateYutaka said:

I don't know if I interpret you correctly since I always have trouble trying to read your post.
Not sure if late night anime is reason for it being unpopular, but regardless, anime is still not popular right except for mainstream stuff like Naruto,OP.

that was my point but these day 5.0 is alled good back in the 90's and 80's ot be called sucsess an anime needed at lest 10 eand run sv to be call sucssful

Feb 9, 2017 8:22 PM

Aug 2008
DateYutaka said:
Zapredon said:

that was my point but these day 5.0 is alled good back in the 90's and 80's ot be called sucsess an anime needed at lest 10 eand run sv to be call sucssful

So you are saying while anime is still not that popular yet in Japan, it is gaining more popularity compare to the 80s and 90s?

Feb 9, 2017 8:25 PM
Mar 2011
Zapredon said:
DateYutaka said:

So you are saying while anime is still not that popular yet in Japan, it is gaining more popularity compare to the 80s and 90s?

no im saying back n day anime tv ratins were higer by 3 fold is what im saying

Feb 9, 2017 8:36 PM

Aug 2008
DateYutaka said:
Zapredon said:

So in the past, there are far more viewers?

Feb 9, 2017 8:45 PM
Mar 2011
Zapredon said:
DateYutaka said:

So in the past, there are far more viewers?

3to5 fold overall is the decrease in av

Feb 9, 2017 8:48 PM

Nov 2008
Putting recent Precure characters wasn't the best idea as few foreigners know of Mirai and Riko. Shin-chan not so much either, while it aired here in the states, the vast majority of those who did watch it in the US are at or approaching their 30's or older, I believe Europe has more fans though since there's still a few anime in the series that have been licensed there.

Feb 9, 2017 10:02 PM

Aug 2013
Idk why they think putting a perverted kid shin chan to represent Japan is a good idea.

Pretty Cure is kinda redundant. They don't need another magical girls anime when there's already Sailor Moon. The only reason to put the 2 PreCure girls there I can think of is an attempt to balance out the male to female ratio for the ambassadors.

Other than those 2, the others are obviously good choice.
Feb 9, 2017 11:05 PM

Sep 2016
Cashing in on the one thing that they are famous for.. Pretty surprised that they didn't have Pikachu or Ash.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

121 by Lucifrost »»
6 minutes ago

» Does Non-Japanese Artist Song count as Anime OP/ED?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

13 by Akuya »»
12 minutes ago

» List of anime to watch with friends

collarbone_cry - 6 hours ago

17 by Akuya »»
13 minutes ago

» Are you involved in any fandom activity?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

35 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
15 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Yesterday

93 by Akuya »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.