Forum Settings
Forums

Comparing your favorite and least favorite anime

New
Feb 2, 2017 1:38 PM

Apr 2016
This is almost kind of a game, but try to compare your favorite anime and your least favorite anime. What was different about them? What do they share in common? What does this say about you as an anime fan? If you don't have a least favorite just compare it to an anime that you strongly dislike.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 2, 2017 1:42 PM

Feb 2015
aidchade said:
This is almost kind of a game

Okay, now I fail to comprehend what do you really want.
Feb 2, 2017 1:46 PM

Oct 2013
aidchade said:
If you don't have a least favorite just compare it to an anime that you strongly dislike.
so when you say least favourite do you mean the one on the bottom of my list on my Top 8 favourites?
Feb 2, 2017 1:47 PM

Aug 2016
Detective Conan and Boku no Pico

- ones a hentai
- one is not

- they both involve children
- there's police in both of them
- they are both anime

It says that I have shit taste.
Feb 2, 2017 1:50 PM

Apr 2016
Deknijff said:
aidchade said:
If you don't have a least favorite just compare it to an anime that you strongly dislike.
so when you say least favourite do you mean the one on the bottom of my list on my Top 8 favourites?

I mean the literal worst anime you have seen
Feb 2, 2017 1:54 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
uh...

favorite anime:

anime full of cute/sexy female characters that show off their sexy clothing and their sexy body parts

least favorite anime:

anime full of male characters that show of their body parts
Feb 2, 2017 1:54 PM
Jul 2015
flcl and sonico

-both have hot chick with pink hair, hot breasts
-both have guitars

-flcl is a coming of age story
-sonico is a cumming story
Feb 2, 2017 2:02 PM

Oct 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
uh...

favorite anime:

anime full of cute/sexy female characters that show off their sexy clothing and their sexy body parts

least favorite anime:

i struggle to believe that you actually watched an anime "full of male characters showing off their body parts"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2017 2:04 PM

Oct 2013
aidchade said:
Deknijff said:
I mean the literal worst anime you have seen
ah ok
hmmm hard to say

feels a bit insulting to compare Shakugan no Shana to garbage like Madoka Magica
Well I could say death matters in Shana, has a better theme in general and has better characters
but otherwise it feels pretty hard for me to compare them to each other

Jan 2016
Favorite: Bokurano, an anime about kids getting tricked into sacrificing themselves to save the universe, and what they do with whats left of their lives knowing they are going to die, its great because of all the different ways these kids react to their own lives quickly coming to an end.

Least Favorite: Trigun. An anime about a guy with a gun who wont kill anyone and a huge bounty on his head, a guy with a giant cross gun, two insurance ladies and a whole cast of useless villains. Honestly I dont understand why people like this one at all, all its characters are bland, wolfwood is the only character worth anything but he doesn't get nearly as much screentime as he could get. Then about 5 episodes from the end a messed up backstory is completed and suddenly there is a supervillian just as strong as Vash, but they dont give any reason to care about him at all.

If this says anything about me as an anime fan i'd say its that i like my anime with good characters over anything else, but a well defined villain always helps a series along too.
How Do I Add Pictures?

Sep 2012
Monogatari and SAO.Well well well at least one has actual not braindead characters.
Feb 2, 2017 2:05 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Ingr1d said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
uh...

favorite anime:

least favorite anime:

i struggle to believe that you actually watched an anime "full of male characters showing off their body parts"

not exactly... but does this count?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/31109/Hatsukoi_Monster

:I

don't get me wrong, i didn't hate the show and im not going to pretend like it wasn't at all entertaining
Feb 2, 2017 2:14 PM

Oct 2014
Cardcaptor Sakura and Papillon Rose:

These are two fairly old magical girl anime. The fights are fairly decent, but one of the most notable features of both anime are the costumes worn by the magical girls. These are both quite Japanese anime, but they still make sense to Westerners.

Papillon Rose is an anime adaption of a meme and the girls have more tits than personalities so there isn't really that much to compare about them. Cardcaptor Sakura just has a lot more going on.
Feb 2, 2017 2:17 PM

Oct 2016
Shinsekai yori and Black Bullet
Similarity: Both have a plot twist, Both would be illegal/heavily censored in the western market
Differences: One would be censored for excessive violence and mature themes whilst the other would be illegal due to sexual objectification of underage girls
What does it say about me: I objectively have the best taste
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2017 2:43 PM

Jul 2014
Cross Ange vs SAO

Similar: I guess they're "fantasy" and have a fair bit of action???

Differences: characterization and storytelling quality is wildly different.

I don't get where this is going OP.
Feb 2, 2017 2:47 PM

May 2015
Evangelion and ERASED

Similar: they start with the letter E

Differences:
-eva is good, erased is not
-best girl in erased is a hot older women who lives with a guy that is young enough to be her son, that is not the best girl in Eva.
-Shinji is (not) a cuck because he's getting into Kaworu's pants when he's not choking him, Satoru is (not) a superhero but he is a cuck. So is the murderer.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Feb 2, 2017 2:50 PM

Jul 2014
they are both anime....lol does that count? XDD
Feb 2, 2017 2:56 PM

Nov 2014
Kino's Journey vs. JK Meshi....

Similarities:
- Both are slice-of-life.

Differences:
- Basically every other conceivable element.

Seriously tho, while people contest the value of SAO and Erased, can we all at least passively agree that JK Meshi is the worst think ever conceived?
Feb 2, 2017 2:57 PM
Jul 2018
Easy. One is good and the other is bad.
Feb 2, 2017 3:00 PM
Aug 2014
Texhnolyze vs Toradora

Both have characters in them.
Feb 2, 2017 3:08 PM

Sep 2013
abhutrash said:

Similarities:

Differences:

Seriously tho, while people contest the value of SAO and Erased, can we all at least passively agree that JK Meshi is the worst think ever conceived?

It's hard to ask for community agreement when you're talking about an obscure show like this one. For instance, I've never heard of it before you talked about it (only rated by 2k people)... while SAO and Erased enjoy a lot of popularity, even though they're considered bad by many (never watched the latter, though).
Feb 2, 2017 3:14 PM

Aug 2013
Favorite - Dragon Ball Kai

Least favorite - Skycrawlers

Similarities - both main protagonists are male and have black hair

Differences - Dragon Ball Kai is action packed while Skycrawlers is boring shit. Goku actually has a personality while the guy from Skycrawlers has as much personality as a paper bag.

Favorite - Witch Craft Works

Least Favorite - No Game No Life

Similarities - both have colorful artstyles and different gender dual protagonists, Ayaka and Shiro are both taciturn

Differences - Witch Craft Works' colorful artstyle doesn't have an ugly pinkish/ purplish hue, the different gender dual protagonists in Witch Craft Works have a more interesting relationship than the ones in NGNL, the male mc of Witch Craft Works isn't an annoying gary stu, pervert and worthless NEET like the mc of NGNL , the female mc of Witch Craft Works isn't a loli.
Feb 2, 2017 3:19 PM

Aug 2014
I don't think about anime I disliked, therefore I don't think I have a least fav one
Think
Feb 2, 2017 3:21 PM

Nov 2014
Wintovisky said:
abhutrash said:

Similarities:

Differences:

It's hard to ask for community agreement when you're talking about an obscure show like this one. For instance, I've never heard of it before you talked about it (only rated by 2k people)... while SAO and Erased enjoy a lot of popularity, even though they're considered bad by many (never watched the latter, though).

I totally get what you're saying. What I meant by this was that everyone should watch JK Meshi to see exactly how bad anime can get, lol.
Feb 2, 2017 3:24 PM
Jun 2015
Nothing can compare to my favorite anime.
Feb 2, 2017 8:15 PM

Apr 2015
You seriously want to me to compare Narutaru with Madoka Magica?

What the hell is wrong with you? Fine then. I'll entertain you for a minute.

Both attempt to be darker and edgier takes on a normally 'kid friendly' genre, the Mon-genre and Mahou Shoujo genre respectively. Narutaru and Madoka Magica both have interesting concepts, with the former asking what happens when kids are actually the terrible (or stupid) beings they are rather then idealized kids seen in other shows. Madoka delves into the psychology and drama of a never-ending daily battle against an enemy that can't be beaten.
Both involved children getting very unexpected power at a young age.

And now here is where everything segways apart.

Narutaru can't write a good character to save it's life. This goes from the progression and start of a character to the actual drawing and expressions of a character. Madoka plays this correctly in spades.
Narutaru has only one memorable piece of music, the opening. Madoka has one of the best overall soundtracks I've ever heard.
Narutaru can't make a battle scene exciting worth anything. Madoka shows intense battle scenes as early as Episodes 1 and 2, and never looses this intensity.
Narutaru likes to jump around with the plot and fool around with sidestories which detract from the main story and characters. Madoka actually has one consistent narrative that is led by 5 characters all having their own spots in the limelight in order to carry the story further.
Madoka is an anime original. Narutaru is the adaptation of the first third of a manga.

*Spoiler*
Narutaru kills off an entire city and no one bats an eye. Madoka's climax is (initially) built around the threat of an entire city being destroyed.
Both use military weapons at points.
In both series the main characters are exposed to bizzare extremes. Narutaru's MC is rarely phased by it. Madoka MC is subtly torn apart by it before being led to do something beyond belief.
*End spoilers*

Can I move on now?
InsaneLeader13Feb 2, 2017 8:19 PM
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 2, 2017 8:52 PM
Jul 2018
This is oddly hard to answer even tho it should be easy.

Sora no Woto and Zero no Tsukaima

Similarities:
- In terms of character design they both are not too original, not a bad thing per se but still a similarity also some characters do share small similarities, like both having a tsundere but one is an annoying bitch the other one is not.
- Probably other details I do not remember or just cannot think of from the top of my head.

Differences:
- The genres, Zero no Tsukaima is primarily romance/harem while sora no woto is a slice of life.
- The setting, ZnT = fantasy/isekai, SnW = sci-fi/slice of life
- Sora no Woto is an episodic show.
- Probably other details I do not remember or just cannot think of from the top of my head.

And what does it say about me? absolutely nothing since I like ecchi, harem and fantasy and what makes me hate zero no tsukaima is not what makes a difference on a more "objective" level but I hate bitches and dense MCs, zero no tsukaima has both as the main characters.

Konakana said:
Texhnolyze vs Toradora

Clearly the best post in the thread.

RainyRai said:
-best girl in erased is a hot older women who lives with a guy that is young enough to be her son, that is not the best girl in Eva.

Are you implying that kaworu is not the best girl?

EcchiLordMamster said:
uh...

favorite anime:

least favorite anime:

This is so surprising it should be consider a jump-scare...
removed-userFeb 2, 2017 9:14 PM
Feb 3, 2017 12:51 AM

Nov 2009
Favorite anime: Dog Days.
Least favorite anime: Geneshaft.

Both anime did their share of worldbuilding. Dog Days makes me rejoice at them managing to justify so much cool stuff (like ablative clothes). Geneshaft makes me facepalm all the way.
Both anime are full of girls. Only in Dog Days the girls are cute and likeable, in Geneshaft they are not.
Dog Days is fantasy, Geneshaft is sci-fi.
Both have their share of action, slice of life and adventure. Dog Days's life is sweet fantasy, Geneshaft's life is dystopia.

Favorite anime: Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?
Least Favorite anime: Angel Core.

Both anime are full of little girls. In Angel Core they are raped by evil Nazis with no end in sight.

Favorite anime: Shingetsutan Tsukihime.
Least Favorite anime: Negima!?

Both are adaptations. Tsukihime is a good adaptation that keeps all the things I liked about the original, and does not fall into a common trap of VN adaptations trying to cram every route into one anime.
Negima!? is a bad adaptation that ruins the original material with stupid jokes. (original had its share of jokes, but they were not as stupid) It also wrecks all the worldbuilding original had.
Both are urban fantasy. But Tsukihime is about cool stuff: serial killers, elder vampires, death... Negima!? is about silly stuff: elder vampires, wizards, ninjas and serial killers going to school together.
But I mostly hate Negima!? because it isn't Mahou Sensei Negima (the manga version).

OppaiSugoi said:
Cross Ange vs SAO

Similar: I guess they're "fantasy" and have a fair bit of action???

Differences: characterization and storytelling quality is wildly different.

I don't get where this is going OP.

Which one is your favorite, and which one is the least favorite? :D
(both have a lot of haters)
Feb 3, 2017 2:10 AM

Jan 2016
Comparing School Days to Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is a crime. I'm just saying.
Feb 3, 2017 2:22 AM

Jul 2013
The Monogatari Series (favorite) and Utsu Musume Sayuri (least favorite).

What both have in common? Creators consumed LSD while making them.

What is the difference between each other? Utsu Musume Sayuri's creators consumed too much LSD.
Feb 3, 2017 2:25 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Darek said:
This is oddly hard to answer even tho it should be easy.

Sora no Woto and Zero no Tsukaima

Similarities:
- In terms of character design they both are not too original, not a bad thing per se but still a similarity also some characters do share small similarities, like both having a tsundere but one is an annoying bitch the other one is not.

Differences:
- The genres, Zero no Tsukaima is primarily romance/harem while sora no woto is a slice of life.
- The setting, ZnT = fantasy/isekai, SnW = sci-fi/slice of life
- Sora no Woto is an episodic show.

And what does it say about me? absolutely nothing since I like ecchi, harem and fantasy and what makes me hate zero no tsukaima is not what makes a difference on a more "objective" level but I hate bitches and dense MCs, zero no tsukaima has both as the main characters.

Konakana said:
Texhnolyze vs Toradora

Clearly the best post in the thread.

RainyRai said:

Are you implying that kaworu is not the best girl?

EcchiLordMamster said:
uh...

favorite anime:

least favorite anime:

This is so surprising it should be consider a jump-scare...

well as i mentioned before to someone, i did watch Hatsukoi Monster, to challenge myself... so if that counts....
Feb 3, 2017 2:58 AM

Sep 2016
Favorite: Dragon ball z

Least: Shitcom

I don't have a single clue how to compare these two :l
Feb 3, 2017 3:20 AM

Aug 2014
Thread locked for being a random X vs Y thread.

This thread is a bit of a mix between simple listing and X vs Y (both not allowed).
It's mostly just: anime a, anime b, similarities: _____ , differences:_____
No real discussion being promoted here.

Anime Discussion Rules 2: Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion; e.g. random "xx vs. yy", picture collecting, simple listing, etc.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - 1 hour ago

4 by TsutanaiFuun »»
17 minutes ago

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - 12 hours ago

22 by TsutanaiFuun »»
18 minutes ago

» Happy Mother's Day, Who Are Anime's Best Moms ?

tchitchouan - Today

20 by 3miL »»
21 minutes ago

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - 11 hours ago

32 by deg »»
43 minutes ago

» What is your first anime and when did you start it? ( 1 2 3 )

Pinoffin - Mar 26

108 by BatoKusanagi »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.