Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2017 11:05 AM

Jan 2017
@lubryka Good question, although I think there are multi-volume compilations out there, I'm not sure what the availability of them is and I don't want to make that item impossible so no, the length restriction won't apply to that one. I'll make a note of which ones it won't apply to on the challenge list later.
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
Jan 7, 2017 11:13 AM

Oct 2016
HeNrYTG50 said:
zeldafan511 said:
The only reason I joined the challenge was because I only have one manga completed here on MAL. So recommend me any manga for #60, since I probably haven't read it.

:(

Since you seem to like Dragon Ball and Fullmetal Alchemist, I'd recommend stuff like Hoshi no Samidare, Hunter x Hunter, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, which are all adventure manga that I really like.

Ah, thank you. I think I'll go with Hoshi no Samidare.

Any manga adapted to CD drama and/or manga based on real person?

The Meme Alchemist
I hate being a scrub.

"They give no quarter, they ask no quarter."
Jan 7, 2017 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
MRC_mod said:
@lady_freyja I attempted a short basic definition/description of the group in the FAQ, could you look it over and see if I should change anything? Thanks again for doing the list.

Yup, that's a good short description.

@lubryka
If you really want to play hardcore for the fun, there is at least one anthology which works: 17 volumes of one-shots.
Completely scanlated.

But… you have to like its theme for reading that stuff. へへ’
Jan 7, 2017 11:44 AM
Apr 2015
hi ! I need a recommendation for #60 please ! ; _ ;

also, I wanna donate some banner for anime & manga challenge, how can i do it ?

Jan 7, 2017 11:50 AM

Jan 2009
@lady_freyja
Jesus Christ, 17 volumes of trap one-shots. I think I'll pass. Definitely.

Actually, there's another manga that could apply for this challenge (MAL treats each volume as a separate title): Itou Junji Kyoufu Manga Collection. 16 volumes. Also completely scanlated.

There's also Zero-Sum Original Anthology Series Arcana - 16 volumes. However, it's again separated into 16 different manga titles and it's not completely scanlated.
Jan 7, 2017 12:13 PM

Jan 2017
@lady_freyja @lubryka The only ones I know are Robot and Gelatin and some BL one I can't remember the name of and I'm not sure if they are available in scanlations or print or what haha, so yeah I think it's safe to still keep it outside of the length requirement.

Also thanks for looking over the short description.

Jan 7, 2017 12:15 PM

Apr 2013
zeldafan511 said:

Great! That's one of my favorites.

I don't really know your opinion about Comedy, Slice of Life, etc., so here are two manga I know were adapted to CD drama:
Prunus Girl and Waratte! Sotomura-san, maybe one of them will be to your liking. :)

Astia said:
hi ! I need a recommendation for #60 please ! ; _ ;

also, I wanna donate some banner for anime & manga challenge, how can i do it ?

Based on a quick look at your manga list, I'd recommend reading Isshuukan Friends.

For donating banners, I think you just post them here and tag MRC_mod. Same in the anime challenge, just tag AWC_mod in that discussion thread. :)
Jan 7, 2017 12:19 PM
Apr 2015
@mrc_mod, i'll be donating some banners !

Jan 7, 2017 12:21 PM
Apr 2015
HeNrYTG50 said:

Based on a quick look at your manga list, I'd recommend reading Isshuukan Friends.

For donating banners, I think you just post them here and tag MRC_mod. Same in the anime challenge, just tag AWC_mod in that discussion thread. :)

Thank you so much !!

Jan 7, 2017 12:38 PM

Apr 2010
ClavisM said:
Wonder if anyone would give me a recommendation for #60?

I'd prefer something mystery/crime related, I don't mind how long it is as long as it's completed.

I'd recommend Manhole. It was a quick read for me because, while I'm not too into mysteries, the nature of the manga being of a dark psychological crime story really sucked me in.

Things To Keep In Mind:
  • You shut your mouth when you're talking to me.
  • My thirst for anything humanoid (and legal) cannot be contained.
Jan 7, 2017 1:02 PM

Jan 2017
@Astia Thank you very much for the banners! They have been added to the banner collection on the sign up thread.

Jan 7, 2017 1:25 PM

Jan 2009
Another question/ issue:
When looking for a title for "32. Read a manga with a score of or below 6.0 in MyAnimeList" I've discovered that there are only 3 titles (well, practically 2) that meet the length restriction: 0/6 (completely translated), Sayuri Hime (ongoing sccanlation), and Flag Fighter (untranslated).
Could it be possible to exclude this challenge from the length restriction, too?
Jan 7, 2017 1:39 PM

Aug 2015
@lady_freyja wow Zankoku na kami storyline sounds really interesting! Thanks for the recommendation!
Jan 7, 2017 1:48 PM

Apr 2010
For #50, I found these lists of manga that aim towards the Female Demographic with a Male Lead and the Male Demographic with a Female Lead if anyone needs suggestions for that challenge (._.)

Things To Keep In Mind:
  • You shut your mouth when you're talking to me.
  • My thirst for anything humanoid (and legal) cannot be contained.
Jan 7, 2017 1:57 PM

Dec 2015
deideiblueeyez said:
ClavisM said:
Wonder if anyone would give me a recommendation for #60?

I'd prefer something mystery/crime related, I don't mind how long it is as long as it's completed.

I'd recommend Manhole. It was a quick read for me because, while I'm not too into mysteries, the nature of the manga being of a dark psychological crime story really sucked me in.

It would have been a great suggestion if I hadn't already read it, I do agree though it is a really great manga. I really enjoyed it.

Jan 7, 2017 1:58 PM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
MRC_mod said:
@lubryka Good question, although I think there are multi-volume compilations out there, I'm not sure what the availability of them is and I don't want to make that item impossible so no, the length restriction won't apply to that one. I'll make a note of which ones it won't apply to on the challenge list later.

These are the scanlated multi-volume short story compilations I know, if anyone - for some reason - wants to do the challenge with as many volumes as possible.

Josou Shounen Anthology Comic (17 vols)
K-On! Anthology Comic (5 vols)
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch Koushiki Comic Anthology For Boys - Queen (5 vols)
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch Koushiki Comic Anthology For Girls - Knight (5 vols)
<5
Nickelodeon (3 vols)
Cigarette Anthology (2 vols)
[es] - Eternal Sisters (2 vols)
Haruhi Comic Anthology (3 vols)
Ameiro Kouchakan Souwa: Lilyca (3 vols)
Jan 7, 2017 2:15 PM
Jul 2018
@ClavisM

Maybe you could check Baptism.
It's an "inverted mystery/crime", since it's an unhealthy creepy thriller where you follow the criminal.
Jan 7, 2017 2:15 PM

Jan 2017
@lubryka I think I may just raise it from 6.0 to 6.5 for that item. Hopefully people will try to check back on the list as time goes on since there might be some changes.

I added it like that originally to match the anime challenge, but I think the ratings in manga are somewhat different. Would you mind checking if there's more titles available with 5+ volumes after that 0.5 score difference? Sorry for the trouble.

Jan 7, 2017 2:24 PM

Sep 2013
Can someone give me a few recommendations for Nr. 60?

No Romance or Slice of Life and under 30 chapters. Aside from that, hook me up with whatever you've got.
Jan 7, 2017 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
@deideiblueeyez

I dunno if you took the recommendations from HeNrYTG50.
But since you said in your other topic that you really enjoy dolls, you should check Plants Doll.
I've read some of its stories, it's definitely psychological, but I dunno if you could call that "messed up", it is plain weird and kind of… unhealthy? morally ambiguous? Dunno… well: weird.
Jan 7, 2017 2:57 PM

Apr 2014
Hello everyone !
Happy to participate in the challenge again. I was quite surprised at that new "Bingo" formula thing, but even if doing the list feel a little more tedious than last years, it's a refreshing idea.

I already started doing my "plan to read for the challenge list" on my profile, but there is a lot left to fill, so I'm sure I'll be comming here to ask for some helps.
And I'll also be very happy to help for recommendations, while posting time to time when I'll have read a very good manga I would like to talk about (and suggest to others for specific items, for exemple).
DullboyJan 7, 2017 4:39 PM
Jan 7, 2017 3:54 PM

Oct 2016
HeNrYTG50 said:
zeldafan511 said:

Great! That's one of my favorites.

I don't really know your opinion about Comedy, Slice of Life, etc., so here are two manga I know were adapted to CD drama:
Prunus Girl and Waratte! Sotomura-san, maybe one of them will be to your liking. :)
)

Thank you, once more.

And a final question. What is the case with ongoing mangas, like, for example, Dragon Ball Super?

The Meme Alchemist
I hate being a scrub.

"They give no quarter, they ask no quarter."
Jan 7, 2017 4:35 PM

Jan 2017
@Dullboy that's really what we were going for, trying to refresh the system a little. We know it can be daunting at first and overwhelming to fill out the forms, but hopefully people will feel a tiny bit more accomplished once they're done.

@MemeAlchemist what do you mean with the case with ongoing manga? If you're curious as to being able to use it for the challenge, yes you can use it as long as you're up to date with the latest released chapter of that manga once you turn in your challenge as completed.

Jan 7, 2017 5:24 PM

Aug 2015
Anyone have any idea if these cursed half human half animal character in Totsukuni no shoujo part of any mythology? That cursed half-humans seem to be most fitted with Irirsh mythology of "formorians." What do you guys think?

Formorian : Formorians were extremely strange and grotesque looking. Some accounts describe them as being a mixture of various animal heads and body parts. They are often portrayed as hostile and monstrous beings who come from the sea or underground.
similarities: they are really weird looking with head of baphomet,lion's hair on back of the head,face of crow,tail of lizard,body of baphomet but bird-feathers etc.

NekoutsuJan 7, 2017 5:30 PM
Jan 7, 2017 6:32 PM

Dec 2011
Joining a manga challenge for the first time... :D

I got #60, too. Fellow participants, any recommendations?
Jan 7, 2017 6:34 PM

Dec 2015
My first challenge it's the #8 (Read a manga by one of your favorite authors/artists),and i've read ''Wanted'' from Eiichiro Oda,but i do have too the challenge #2 (Read a manga that is a collection of short stories),so...i've read this 'cause it was from one of my fave authors,but only after that i realized that was a short-stories collection,so it's that a problem if i catalog this on the challenge #8?
Jan 7, 2017 7:22 PM

Jun 2015
@SaneSavantElla
1. Akatsuki no Yona - romance/action
2. Annarasumanara - psychological
3. Onanie Master Kurosawa - psychological/school
4. Suiiki - seinen/slice of life
5. Ore to Akuma no Blues - psychological
6. Horimiya - romance/comedy
Jan 7, 2017 7:24 PM

Apr 2013
SpidleShanks said:
My first challenge it's the #8 (Read a manga by one of your favorite authors/artists),and i've read ''Wanted'' from Eiichiro Oda,but i do have too the challenge #2 (Read a manga that is a collection of short stories),so...i've read this 'cause it was from one of my fave authors,but only after that i realized that was a short-stories collection,so it's that a problem if i catalog this on the challenge #8?

You can choose whatever manga for the challenges as long as it fits the criteria, for example, if you read a shounen manga intending to use it for the shounen challenge, and later you realize it also has been adapted to a CD drama, you could use it for either one.
Jan 7, 2017 7:55 PM

Dec 2015
HeNrYTG50 said:
SpidleShanks said:

You can choose whatever manga for the challenges as long as it fits the criteria, for example, if you read a shounen manga intending to use it for the shounen challenge, and later you realize it also has been adapted to a CD drama, you could use it for either one.

Oh...good to know,i had that question too haha,it's my first time participating,thanks a lot for the answer!
Jan 7, 2017 8:14 PM

Dec 2011
ixaa said:
@SaneSavantElla
1. Akatsuki no Yona - romance/action
2. Annarasumanara - psychological
3. Onanie Master Kurosawa - psychological/school
4. Suiiki - seinen/slice of life
5. Ore to Akuma no Blues - psychological
6. Horimiya - romance/comedy

Wow, that's plenty! Suiiki and Ore to Akuma no Blues seem promising. Thank you very much!
Jan 7, 2017 9:17 PM

Dec 2008
I got #2 (read a manga that is a collection of short stories) as one of mine and was wondering if I could read Massive (NSFW-ish link) for that one? It's not in the MAL database but it is a collection of short stories.

If not I have other things I could read too, but I really wanted to ask about this one. Sorry, this is my first challenge so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.
Jan 7, 2017 11:01 PM

Jan 2017
@Nekoutsu You should put something like "Seemingly inspired by Formorians from Irish Folklore" next to your entry and I'll count it. The explanation/evidence you gave above is very convincing.

@letsgomeisei It's not a dumb question at all. I'm just on the fence because the book you're liking to is listed as English-language anthology so I wonder if I should count it or not, but then there are indeed manga shorts inside by Japanese creators. Well, I just found it on Baka-Updates [link] so link to that on your form and I'll count it.

@lubryka I checked myself a bit ago and even with the 0.5 difference the availability of completely scanlated/published series is very scarce, so I followed your previous suggestion and made it exempt from the restriction. I also took it back down to 6.0
MRC_modJan 7, 2017 11:32 PM

Jan 8, 2017 12:31 AM

Jul 2013
I have a question about something on the challenge list. #20 says: Read a manga published between the 1970s and the 1980s - For this and the next three items the manga must have been completely published during the decade.
What does it mean by "items?" Is it saying the next three manga I choose for the challenge need to have been published in the 70s? Or is it something else? It's probably really obvious, I should get more sleep haha
Jan 8, 2017 1:11 AM

May 2012
deideiblueeyez said:
Need a rec for a manga. Gimme something--anything--psychological and messed up. Preferably not hentai, but I'm willing to read yaoi, yuri, het, or non-romantic things, but people have to suffer and I'd prefer it be more focused on the inside than the outside, you dig?

How about MPD Psycho? That's quite fucked up.

https://myanimelist.net/manga/740/Tajuu_Jinkaku_Tantei_Psycho?q=mpd%20py
Jan 8, 2017 1:29 AM

Dec 2015
Hello everyone! I would like someone to recommend me a manga (I would like it to be a short one) for #60
Jan 8, 2017 1:41 AM

Jan 2015
>60. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread
I need a recommendation please ^-^
Jan 8, 2017 1:57 AM
Jul 2018
yuugenn said:
I have a question about something on the challenge list. #20 says: Read a manga published between the 1970s and the 1980s - For this and the next three items the manga must have been completely published during the decade.
What does it mean by "items?" Is it saying the next three manga I choose for the challenge need to have been published in the 70s? Or is it something else? It's probably really obvious, I should get more sleep haha

It means that for the item 20, "Read a manga published between the 1970s and the 1980s", the manga should have started during the 70s decade, and ended during the 70s decade too.
Which means something like that manga, started in 72 and completed in 73, but not that one started in 76 but completed in 84.

And then for the item 21, it is the same thing, but started and finished during the 80s decades. And next for the item 22 with the 90s decades et cætera.

EDIT: after re-reading the item description, it is not that clear. I understood it as "between 1970 and 1979", but maybe I'm wrong.

Euphorae said:
>60. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread

The Music of Marie is cool and short.
It should be different from what you already read, without being too much different.
removed-userJan 8, 2017 2:03 AM
Jan 8, 2017 1:59 AM

Jan 2015
lady_freyja said:
Euphorae said:

The Music of Marie is cool and short.
It should be different from what you already read, without being too much different.
Thanks! It seems pretty interesting.
Jan 8, 2017 2:56 AM

Jun 2015
@MRC_mod
i can participate and donate baners, right? If so ;

set by secret santa ; thank you! ily ♥️
Jan 8, 2017 3:23 AM

Feb 2014
yuugenn said:

Yes, "item"="requirement" in this situation, basically.
Jan 8, 2017 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
By the way.
Someone can recommend me a manga for the item 60?
Everything is fine as long as it is completely scanlated. But I have preference for shōjo or josei.

Thanks!
Jan 8, 2017 4:03 AM

Dec 2015
lady_freyja said:
@ClavisM

Maybe you could check Baptism.
It's an "inverted mystery/crime", since it's an unhealthy creepy thriller where you follow the criminal.

Thanks I'll check it out!

Jan 8, 2017 4:37 AM

Jun 2011
Any recommendations for Challenge #60 (Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread)?

It's okay if you just give me one of your favorite ones as long as it isn't flat out BL, aside from that I'm pretty much open for everything. I'd highly prefer if it is not longer than around 100 chapters, thanks!
I'm feeling thank you
Jan 8, 2017 4:42 AM

Mar 2014
I don't want to spam but could someone recommend something for #60?
Anything, seriously.
Jan 8, 2017 4:52 AM

Sep 2013
Shuichi2 said:
Anything, seriously.

How about the following ones:
Helter Skelter
Kamisama ga Uso wo Tsuku.
Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite
Jan 8, 2017 4:58 AM

Mar 2014
delija9091 said:
Shuichi2 said:
Anything, seriously.

How about the following ones:
Helter Skelter
Kamisama ga Uso wo Tsuku.
Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite

Thanks! I love horror so I'll go with Helter Skelter
Jan 8, 2017 5:29 AM

Jan 2017
@yuugen The note that says "For this and the next three items the manga must have been completely published during the decade." Basically means that the rule applies to number 20, 21, 22 and 23 of the list. And it's like it was said above, the manga for each of those must be completed between the decades listed. There's a question in the FAQ that explains the decades as well.

@lady_freyja What about Ashita no Ousama? It's Josei

@Mayumi Thank you for your donation! I'll add it to the banners now.

@Domi What about Nijigahara Holograph?
MRC_modJan 8, 2017 5:37 AM

Jan 8, 2017 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
MRC_mod said:
@lady_freyja What about Ashita no Ousama? It's Josei

Neat!
Thank you, the manga sounds very interesting.
Jan 8, 2017 5:54 AM

Jun 2011
Looks good, thanks! :)
I'm feeling thank you
Jan 8, 2017 6:03 AM

Sep 2013
Can someone recommend me a Manga for 49 (Read a manga centered around folklore or mythology) or 60 (Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread)? Preferably under 40 chapters.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How many of the top 50 manga on MAL have you read?

Mr_Libra - Yesterday

9 by notPara »»
2 hours ago

» Your top 10 unknown/not-well known manga

Kumoiro_Shizuki - Yesterday

4 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
2 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1072 by Saori_Shun »»
4 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

55 by redspider1 »»
5 hours ago

» What is a manga you want to be adapted

Idk5008 - Mar 3

11 by aLotQuestion_ »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.