Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 25, 2016 7:26 PM

Aug 2013
actiongrabbingtitlegrabsyourattention

Topic: Does engaging in Japanese media (namely, anime and manga) cause us (Westerners) to become more Japanese in our "internal culture"? Namely in holding propriety, family and country as more important than our "home culture"? Or having the "don't rock the boat" mentality.

Other point to consider is the lack of racial diversity and lack of LGBTQ prevalence in Japanese media.

Have you found your values aligning more with typical Japanese values after engaging in lots of Japanese media? Or has the difference served to strengthen your "home culture"?

TL;DR: Has watching jap cartoons and reading jap comic books made your soul more samurai?
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Nov 25, 2016 7:52 PM
May 2015
In my case a few portion has been migrated to it ever since I started watching anime and also leading to prefer playing original japanese version games than the english copy. Learned a lot about their culture and its really nice to see how they apply it in reality. Have been in Japan recently, and I would bow down as a sign of respect or even apology when bumping into someone, and I don't even do that here in our place. Used some phrases I've learned from anime and yes it do works and I feel happy about seeing them smile.

In addition, I've become moderately fluent in reading Katakana, and a few slices of Hiragana.
Nov 25, 2016 7:59 PM

Oct 2012
I'm part Japanese already but diving into anime makes me hope that what I've seen infect most anime series doesn't really apply to most people of Japan.

Being completely honest, as even though I am part Japanese (hell, even my first name is Japanese), I don't necessarily look it, so I don't wish to be part of the crowd that thinks it's cool that one knows a few phrases, or hails anime as superior, or generally just thinks Japan > Western world. Just no.

I really don't have a sense of culture to begin with anyway since I'm mixed-race. I simply acknowledge that anime can tell pretty compelling stories, but most of it tends to be things I'd rather avoid.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Nov 25, 2016 8:36 PM

Jul 2015
Not really. I like cartoons and there's not that much more to it
Nov 25, 2016 10:10 PM

May 2013
Well for me I feel I've connected with the culture quite a bit, but that was my own doing.

But yeah, something definitely comes over. I feel like Asians have a totally different (stronger?) sense of family ties than westerners, and I definitely got a good sense of that home life from watching anime. I've tried to integrate that into my own life.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Nov 26, 2016 12:43 AM

Jun 2016
I don't think it has affected me at all, as far as I'm concerned it's nothing beyond an entertainment medium to me.
Nov 26, 2016 12:48 AM

Jan 2016
I don't consider myself any more Japanese now than before I discovered anime. I've never been "Japanese" to begin with - I'm just interested in the country and its culture, and anime is a part of that interest.
Nov 26, 2016 12:48 AM

Jul 2009
Watching cheap cartoons =/= race transformation
Sorry, it's the truth!
Nov 26, 2016 1:43 AM
Jul 2018
I read hiragana, katakana and n5 kanji easily. Too lazy to learn the others tbh. Japan is great. They created bullet hell shmups. They created anime. They created yuri. They created Touhou Project. Praise Japan!
Nov 26, 2016 2:29 AM

Mar 2014
a lack of LGBT? what kinda hentai do you read mate?
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Nov 26, 2016 6:22 AM

Mar 2014
Mogu-sama said:
TL;DR: Has watching jap cartoons and reading jap comic books made your soul more samurai?

Let's say- i would be more happier when i could live in japan forever ;) Germany sucks in "here and there" parts. We lost our own culture, we lost our own identity because everything what we do that looks "german", it's called Nazi.
We become more and more "new Jerusalem" sooner or later. We build mosque next to churches, lol.

Well, i don't have any pride to be german nor i don't know "what is the meaning to be german?", but with animes i got my "own identity" back because of animes and japan. I like their culture, their respect to people, their history and their own acceptance of their true identity :)
Nov 26, 2016 3:37 PM

Nov 2016
Nope. As I'm not japanese, never been there and don't speak the language fluently. However, I am very intrigued by japanese culture.

In some aspects it's similar to my own in terms of people mostly being non-aggressive, private, not very religious, drinking culture and not brash like americans and spanish people (sorry for cultural stereotypes).

On the other hand I really like how our social welfare provides a safety net if something happens, free universities, LGBT rights - and lack of obvious hierarchy and formality - following the norwegian "janteloven" where you are not supposed to think you are anything better than others.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Nov 26, 2016 5:21 PM

Jan 2016
Not really. At least you aren't a Japanese, right?
It's just things like that make you wanted to learn more about the culture of Japanese and its way of life.
Other than that, anime, manga and also other things that are related to Japan definitely will make us learn about the new experience of the Japanese. Well, it's good though, to learn something "new" and "different" from another country in our daily lives.
Nov 26, 2016 6:28 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Can confirm that anime has made follow bushido. I finish all my sentences with -degozaru.
Nov 27, 2016 8:29 PM

Nov 2016
It may make someone interested in the culture of Japan, but for me, how anime affected me in terms of that was learning some Japanese words and seeing how Japan may be like, but I am not even near emotionally connected to it as I am not Japanese.
"Stop pitying yourself. Pity yourself, and life will become an endless nightmare."
Nov 27, 2016 9:16 PM

Mar 2008
Maybe for some people but not that much for me even though it has some effect.
Nov 27, 2016 9:20 PM

Dec 2015
I've always felt like a samurai, but not in the way you're asking.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 27, 2016 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
No it doesn't, not for me that is, I have no interest in the Japanese language and their culture doesn't amaze me in any way.
Nov 27, 2016 9:25 PM

Dec 2009
Well not to your type at all but, yeah. Wether I like it or not, technically yes. For anyone depending what anime/manga they watch/read because a lot of stories are based on Japan.

To me; I know and understand some words. I'm familiar with the culture to some extent because of anime/manga. And I've become a fan of more Japanese related things ... such as; vocaloid, Japanese light novels, visual novels, hentai, doujinshi, etc.
Nov 28, 2016 11:07 AM
Dec 2014
Well, does watching more US shows make someone Japanese "more American"? What does it mean to become more of <insert nationality>.

I actually think it's a fair and interesting question. Some people may look at this on a binary perspective, that is, you are either something or not. There is a certain point to it. Does knowing a foreign language make you more of <insert nationality>? Liking their food? Appreciate their culture? Appreciate their culture more than any other culture? Thinking in binaries, I think that most people would say no. And if you are looking things from a nationality point of view, the answer is clearly no.

Yet sometime you do hear people who are considered *casually* as being "more" or "less" <insert nationality> based on their behaviour and other attributes. e.g. A British person who doesn't like football (or worse, call it "soccer"), cricket, fish and chips or speak with one of the many accents found in the UK might be considered, casually, as being not "very British" even though he is British. Given that, wouldn't say, a Japanese who love all the stuff that a British person might expect to love be arguably be "more" British without actually being British?

If the answer is a no to you, then you can stop reading here. If the answer is a "Hmm... unsure", then we still need to consider the next point. Does engaging in Japanese media, namely manga, anime etc. make a Japanese more Japanese? It's certainly debatable, but if your answer is a no, then the answer to the OP is still a no. If the answer is a yes or maybe, then I'd argue that the answer is at least a maybe if not a "yes, in a way".

One last thing I will say though, while I think it was just a figure of speech, no I do not think that anime/manga will make your soul "more samurai", but someone who is very interested in bushido (academically and perhaps practicing some aspects of it), could arguably make that point.
Nov 28, 2016 1:13 PM

May 2015
Well I grew up in Japan, so I'm pretty "Japanese" to begin with. I'm not Japanese by ethnicity, but even before I started watching Anime, I was well-accustomed to Japanese culture. Though I've relocated to several places around the world, I still say that Japan is the best place I've ever lived in.
Nov 28, 2016 3:55 PM

May 2016
Nah, it has sparked an interest in studying Japanese culture, but my core values haven't changed at all. Liking anime and manga doesn't make you Japanese anymore than liking Black metal makes me Norwegian.
Back from the dead
Nov 28, 2016 5:59 PM

Sep 2007
Does watching Disney movies make me a faggot? (Don't answer that)

More topics from this board

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 1 minute ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
1 minute ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

24 by DreamWindow »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

41 by Merve2Love »»
53 minutes ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

27 by Rhaelynne »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

42 by cyandaqil »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.