Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2016 2:03 AM

Dec 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
khara did a fine job with this short using Patlabor's concept in an actualized setting. The use of the original music was a big plus.
But at the end, rather than wanting more of it, it made me nostalgic of Izumi, Gotô, Shinoara and co. I need to rewatch the OAVs and movies!
Was any member of HEADGEAR involved in this?
Singan said:
According to the ending credits, the script was co-written by Ito Kazunori (the member of HEADGEAR) and Yoshiura Yasuhiro (the director of Time of Eve).

Thank you. I was expecting the director's participation to the writing, Kazunori's presence is a nice thing to have (maybe a reason why this still feels like a bit of Patlabor).

5/5 but I don't see why this was made, instead of a fully new Nihon Animator short.

Score: 7/10 A good glimpse at what is (partially) Patlabor. Let's hope newcomers will check the OAVs afterwards.
Rei_IIINov 13, 2016 4:13 AM
Nov 7, 2016 3:34 AM

Jan 2012
Art, story, voice acting... there is nothing to be proud of. Lame 3d cg, awful facial expressions... everything anime get in 80's and 90's seems lost. And this patlabor short shows it clearly. Get that animator guys draw with their hands, like they did back than.
Nov 7, 2016 8:13 AM

Aug 2016
It was ok, would have been better if this wan actually a full series, not just 1 ep, this was just to short..
Nanika ga Okashii
Nov 7, 2016 10:54 AM
Mar 2013
I really like the first two Patlabor movies, and also have nothing against anime shorts, as some of them are very good actually, like Studio 4C's Kigeki, Osamu Tezuka's Muramasa, Koji Yamamura's Atama Yama, Tekken's Furiko, or Kunio Katou's Aru Tabibito no Nikki. However, this movie, while not bad, simply felt pointless to me. Hopefully, the studio will use it to test the waters for the new Patlabor series/feature film, rather than simply make a quick cash grab from Patlabor fans.
Nov 7, 2016 6:07 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
I really enjoyed the short. I don't watch mecha anime and this one caught me by surprise. After watching it, I will investigate some previous Patlabor anime and see how it all looks. A bit of fresh air for me so...... 7/10.
Nov 8, 2016 3:15 AM
Jul 2011
This looks more like a pitch or proof of concept for a reboot (gender flipped reboot) rather then self-contained title. Only the Patlabor fans will truly get what is all about.
I hope they develop it to something bigger.

@Catalyze, I recommend you to start with the 1988's OVA. It is in the same universe as the movies. It is indeed a fresh look at the mecha genre.
The movies are more ambitious and you can see them like test runs for the Ghost In The Shell franchise.

The 1989's TV (Mobile Police Patlabor: On Television) and 1990's OVA (Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files) are kind of subpar and in a different universe.
megaloadNov 8, 2016 3:21 AM
Nov 8, 2016 5:36 AM

Aug 2015
I'm not putting this anywhere close to the originals.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 8, 2016 11:10 AM

Dec 2015
@Catalyze Great ! Exactly what I was hoping ! ^^

Dirty_Four_Eyes said:
better if this wan actually a full series, not just 1 ep

We already have the full series, and a long alternative TV version (actually inferior)

@povsuduvolosy Right,,I didn't mention the 3DCGI myself because of the tensions around it here.

@deadright It was the same thing as a bit of the original. Only in an alternate 201x rather than the alternate 80s. What did you compare?

Anyway, that's just another short where the Animator Expo lose its goal after all the Eva sequences (to give free reign to animators and showcase talents)
Rei_IIINov 8, 2016 11:15 AM
Nov 8, 2016 11:17 AM

Aug 2016

Dirty_Four_Eyes said:
better if this wan actually a full series, not just 1 ep

We already have the full series, and a long alternative TV version (actually inferior)

oh, didn't know about that, ty! :)
Nanika ga Okashii
Nov 8, 2016 2:53 PM

Jun 2015
It felt like nothing and having Gotoo as a woman is kind of lame but hey. It was alright.
Nov 9, 2016 10:49 AM

Aug 2012
Not even the advertised 10 minutes. Was barely 6 minutes before the credits.

The animation was decent on the Patlabor's, character designs were bland. This felt hollow and far too short.

I was really hoping to see the Patlabor we love with a new coat of paint for a quick 10 minutes. Including Noa and co.
Nov 11, 2016 1:29 AM

Dec 2015
@zeus81 First, it was an idea of a mangaka turned into a multimedia project created by HEADGEAR, a group of talents.

Masami Yûki (mangaka, original ideas), Oshii (director, writer) and Îto (writer who often worked with Oshii, later worked a lot on .hack//), Izubuchi (mechanical design), Takada (famous chara-designer) made the 7 OAV series in parallel to the manga's development (2O+ volumes long, ended in 1994). The first two movies are longer stories placed after this series (they're really good on their own too).
There are also other prominent staff members like Kenji Kawai (composer) that we find on the different forms of the franchise.

A TV series was ordered because of the first movie's success. It constitutes its own continuity. The TV series is more mecha-centric if I remember it correctly. Several episodes were written by Mamoru Oshii or Kazunori Îtô. After the broadcast ended, a last salve of episodes was added as an OAV series.
Watch it later if you want more but I advise you to discover patlabor through the first continuity.

A pilot for a live action project was made but didn't bring anything.

After a long pause, a third movie was made without Oshii (but you could think it is from him). It was inspired by a manga chapter and is set somewhere in the first chronology (at least before the 2nd movie, I think). A series of OAV shorts in SD style, Mini Pato (by Oshii), is often sold along this film. I think it is placed in the original anime timeline.

In 2013 or 2015, a TV drama (with a conclusion movie) was decided. It seems to be set in the future of the anime, during the 200x in a period of recession (by opposition to the alternate 80s and the economical growth of the beginning). Many characters names look like puns on the old characters names. Oshii might have participated since he was the one who pushed for a live -action project years ago. Kawai composed too. That's all I know because I never watched this drama.

The manga might be interesting to check too even if it is lighter than "Oshii's anime". In France, we only got a few tomes released before the publisher (Kabuto) died but it is still more than what most other westerners have.

I hope it will help you to restart. You can certainly find more infos around the birth of HEADGEAR or Patlabor on the Internet.
By the way, the group made another work: Twilight Q, an intended anthology OAV series who ended after only two stories.

Voilà, bon anime !
Rei_IIINov 11, 2016 1:43 AM
Nov 12, 2016 2:29 PM

Oct 2008
I usually hate cgi mechas, but these were looking good actually.
And their movements were a true eyecandy, and seemed realistic.

It also felt nice to see my favorite police force to be in action again, even if it has changed a little.

The only thing that i disliked, is the fact that it's so short.
Nov 13, 2016 3:52 AM
Mar 2013
Rei366 said:
Was any member of HEADGEAR involved in this?

According to the ending credits, the script was co-written by Ito Kazunori (the member of HEADGEAR) and Yoshiura Yasuhiro (the director of Time of Eve).
Nov 23, 2016 7:36 AM

Dec 2013
I really liked the 3D mecha in this, most of the time they are garbage, but these ones were pretty and teh contrast between the 3D and 2D animation wasn't jarring.
The whole thing is a gender swapped Patlabor though. It manages to make the characters/anime more generic.

Nov 24, 2016 1:00 AM

Dec 2015
vickypix said:
The whole thing is a gender swapped Patlabor though. It manages to make the characters/anime more generic.

What is the logical link between using a male "instead" of a female and make the thing generic? (I won't ask about chararacters because it's a short feature)

PS: there was a male pilot too (Ôta) before too. Only the female operator is a new thing.

edit @Singan : The full credits are available on the short's Nihon Animator Mihonichi webpage

edit2 @Singan : I actually did it for a few names (notably the other original creatives who participated) but I can't find most of them (MAL keeps giving me an insane amount of suggestions when I type the exact names unless in the case of Izubuchi).
Rei_IIINov 24, 2016 11:57 AM
Nov 24, 2016 4:49 AM

Dec 2013
Rei366 said:
vickypix said:

What is the logical link between using a male "instead" of a female and make the thing generic? (I won't ask about chararacters because it's a short feature)

PS: there was a male pilot too (Ôta) before too. Only the female operator is a new thing.

edit: @Singan The full credits are available on the short's Nihon Animator Mihonichi webpage

Mmm it's just that a male protagonist piloting the mecha and female being the support is more common i think. Maybe I just like the dynamic between Noa and Asuma more.

Nov 24, 2016 7:04 AM
Mar 2013

Thank you :) it's really good that they published the credits, because now anyone who can't read Japanese but wants to know what people were involved in making the movie can simply copy them and search through the database.
Nov 24, 2016 1:09 PM
Mar 2013
Rei366 said:
I actually did it for a few names (notably the other original creatives who participated) but I can't find most of them (MAL keeps giving me an insane amount of suggestions when I type the exact names unless in the case of Izubuchi).

Many of those people may be not in the database. Unfortunately, MAL doesn't have entries for a lot of creators, because there are so many different people involved in making anime that it's impossible to keep track of them all, even if you have a team of mods who work specifically for that purpose.
SinganNov 25, 2016 2:55 PM
Nov 24, 2016 9:45 PM

Jan 2009
glorious animation, the cel-shaded 3DCG mechas here are great
Nov 25, 2016 7:47 AM

Nov 2011
I do not know what feelings unleashed in their vision of this short, but even if very short, I relived the good old days when I first saw this anime series. The atmosphere was the best and represented well what he wanted to show the original series. The soundtrack was the icing on the cake, but the designs were beautiful. The characters, very reminiscent of the original series. I think it's a kind of prologue to a future animation project, reminds me so much prologues in early episode in the old anime series.

7/10
Jan 9, 2017 10:51 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
A quickly Ova, with a comun plot, but the invite to dream, and carries you to thoses films full of action....This Ova was great, with a very nice draw, very retailer!!!!

7/10.
Jan 30, 2017 1:18 PM

Jan 2010
a decent pitch, was exactly what I've expected it to be, for better or worse. one can only hope that the 'proof of concept' vibe everyone is getting from it is actually something as I'm simply too tired of rewatching the good old Patlabor over and over again.

DO WANT MORE
hate capital letters.
deal with it.
Jan 31, 2017 1:08 AM

Dec 2015
@FineBreeder If you want more Patlabor, the manga by the man who came up with the concept was way longer than the (great) OAVs/films or the TV/OAV series. And there was the drama + TV special series a few years ago (Oshii always wanted a live-action element in the Patlabor project).

After rethinking about this Animator Expo "demo", I hope this is not the new khara project: they need to come up with something on their own. Not "new EVA" nor "Patlabor Reboot).

@pvoberstein The french fansub.
Rei_IIIFeb 27, 2019 10:11 PM
Aug 6, 2017 1:01 PM
Jul 2017
Decent animation, but wasn't entertained all that much. Not sure if anything became of this. I'd probably watch out of curiosity.
Nov 27, 2017 10:11 AM

Nov 2017
That was fun. Would love to see a new animated series.
Feb 27, 2019 9:34 PM
Jul 2018
Does anyone know where the short can still be found? The original website appears to be offline and none of the usual platforms seem to have it cross-posted.
Aug 12, 2019 8:14 AM

Dec 2013
I can definitely see a new series with this kind of style. The CGI wasn't bad at all and the new characters were fun. Hoping for the best.
Nov 19, 2020 8:21 AM

Sep 2012
Quality-wise good, but very bland and all over the place. 5/10
Jan 30, 2021 12:00 AM

May 2020
This was a cool short; the animation and 3D labors look amazing in this. However I didn't get all that much Patlabor vibes from it, probably because of the new characters. It was eye candy to look at for sure, but to me it just felt like it was trying to be something it wasn't. I guess you can't really blame it for being such since it's just a 7 minute standalone reboot, but I hope this does mark a starting point for more new Patlabor in the future.
Jul 28, 2021 6:04 AM

Oct 2010
Hmm, so none of these new characters were named, were they? I feel like that captain could be an older Kumagami (if they were following the TV canon).
Feb 8, 9:59 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
Lot of good stuff in this thread that has already been said.

Well I just finished all of Patlabor's content and I agree with the overall sentiment. I found myself missing the original crew. In reality, it is probably a good thing that they would have started fresh because, knowing the modern reboot track record, it would have just sullied the past.

I'm a staunch lover of hand drawn animation and the original Patlabor material had some absolutely gorgeous animation. Some scenes from the second movie are permanently burned into my mind with how beautiful they were. A reboot inevitably was going to use CGI and you know, I didn't hate it. The FPS is still stuttery but wasn't super offensive to me.

All in all, if this had existed I would have watched it. I would have been terribly sad about missing the original crew and the art style. But if it was like 12 episodes or something, sure. The CGI would have also bummed me out but it was passable.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.