Forum Settings
Forums
New
By how many % should a wife help in paying the bills?
Oct 29, 2016 4:31 AM

Sep 2016
Do you think that a wife should contribute in paying the bills? Why or why not? What do you think is the ideal set-up financially for a marriage?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 29, 2016 4:34 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I don't think it should be by percentage in fact ; but more of the more she can, there must be a minimum...
For a marriage? I am way too young for now, but I do think it'd be around 600$? I am certainly too naive and not well enough informed.

Oct 29, 2016 4:37 AM

Dec 2012
A wife should help pay if she enters into an agreement with her husband about dividing up the costs of living. As for my own circumstance, I would want to support my family as much as possible but would welcome her help if that's what we need to make ends meet.
Oct 29, 2016 4:45 AM
Jul 2018
It depends on the marriage. I do not believe there is a right answer, it is simply a matter of preference for the couple involved. Some couples work equally and contribute equally to bills, one couple can pay all the bills already with just the one's income and the second partner's money is just free to be saved or spent as leisure money. and there are couples in which one partner does not work for whatever reason - illness, studying, children,etc and that's completely fine too.
Oct 29, 2016 4:54 AM
Nov 2013
I'd say it's up to the wife to decide that herself.

Some wives just want to be stay-at-home moms... Others don't mind making more than their husbands.
Oct 29, 2016 4:59 AM

Jan 2015
That depends on the couple. Are they both working? Do they share accounts? Is one a housewife/husband? Do they have children?
Oct 29, 2016 5:08 AM

Aug 2016
Should she? i mean thats a weird way to say it... I think of it like this, if my wife was the one with the higher paying job, I would still want to do my part in paying for stuff, so I would hope she would wanna do the same with me.

Also, what wife? We're all gonna be animuweebs till we die= no gf for us.
Oct 29, 2016 5:39 AM

Aug 2014
Depends how much she makes. Say if you make basically the same amount of money then sure 50%. If not then probably less and if she makes more than you, you should pay less.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 29, 2016 5:46 AM

Jul 2015
No 100% option? Here goes my dream of becoming a house husbando I guess...
Oct 29, 2016 5:50 AM

Sep 2009
Well, "homemakers" do produce economic value outside of calculated GDP, so they don't necessarily need to be paying bills to help.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 29, 2016 5:55 AM

Jul 2015
I guess whoever makes the most money should pay for most of it, but I'd hope that both partners would contribute at least something.
Oct 29, 2016 5:55 AM

Oct 2012
weird

no minimum and no maximum
same for the husband (if there is even one in the marriage)
depends on what the couple are happy with

it could be 50-50
but if either one is substantially richer then they will have to pay more if they want to live a life representative of that wealth
and if either one is a "housewife" or "househusband" then the work they do at home can be taken from the contribution

'i have to pay less just because im a wife', when you work and earn the same, sounds a little like divorce

but marriage is kinda dumb anyway

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Oct 29, 2016 7:55 AM

Sep 2015
it honestly depends. you could have the husband use his wages for bills and the wife use her's for luxury items. or you could have them share
Oct 29, 2016 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
If she's working, yeah. Why the fuck not?
Oct 29, 2016 8:03 AM

Mar 2016
I think that's only fair. Why should only you be expected to pay the bills? That's stupid.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Oct 29, 2016 8:12 AM

Oct 2014
Honestly it depends on the relationship, if she doesn't work than she doesn't work, if she has a lower paying job then she should pay a lower sum, the main key is to work together and have an understanding of the situation.

Overall try to pay an even amount each, but depending on the circumstances, as long as she's still putting in the effort she should pay what she can afford. I believe in a fairness and equality of a relationship, but it does depends on the circumstances.

Oct 29, 2016 8:13 AM

Feb 2009
Why are these questions even asked...
Oct 29, 2016 8:13 AM

Jun 2015
It depends on the circumstances, there can't be a fixed rule because each couple's scenario is different from the last's.
Oct 29, 2016 2:09 PM

Jun 2015
I don't think there should be any set standards. It should be a household to household thing, whatever works for the individuals involved. I'd personally rather be in a relationship with someone who does work and pays as well, though.

Oct 29, 2016 2:13 PM

Sep 2007
I wish I were a women, so I could save 20% on my electric bills.

Oct 29, 2016 2:23 PM

Sep 2012
This topic is sexist to begin with.

Lul.
Oct 29, 2016 3:35 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Notaneko said:

How in the world? What is this state where women pay less? Because in my country they have lesser wages.

Oct 29, 2016 3:42 PM
Jan 2015
Lolsebca said:
Notaneko said:

How in the world? What is this state where women pay less? Because in my country they have lesser wages.

>believing in the wage gap meme
Can't you do some independent investigation to see that it's not real?
Oct 29, 2016 3:46 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
ThomasDankEngine said:
Lolsebca said:

I don't have to but I did and I can swear there is in France. Even my teacher talked about it. You still don't believe me? Google Translation should be enough to read this : http://www.inegalites.fr/spip.php?article972

Title being : Inegalities between men and women wages, investigation (or something like this)

Oct 29, 2016 3:55 PM
Jan 2015
Lolsebca said:
ThomasDankEngine said:

I don't have to but I did and I can swear there is in France. Even my teacher talked about it. You still don't believe me? Google Translation should be enough to read this : http://www.inegalites.fr/spip.php?article972

Title being : Inegalities between men and women wages, investigation (or something like this)

Not trying to brag, but I am taking French rn. In the article they don't mention how women and men go have a different work ethic.

Men are more likely to take less vacation, work longer hours, be more dedicated, etc. Therefore they should be payed more.
Oct 29, 2016 3:57 PM

May 2013
hard to say, but i sure don't want any part in it
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Oct 29, 2016 3:58 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
ThomasDankEngine said:
Lolsebca said:

Not trying to brag, but I am taking French rn. In the article they don't mention how women and men go have a different work ethic.

Men are more likely to take less vacation, work longer hours, be more dedicated, etc. Therefore they should be payed more.

Waaaaaaw STRONG CASE OF MISOGYNY CLAPCLAP EVEN I COULD NOT MAKE IT.

Oct 29, 2016 4:00 PM

Jun 2014
If a woman these days really wants to be the well-paid breadwinner, then she can pay 100% of the bills.

I'll be the "House Husband," who constantly keeps the house clean, and has your meals ready for you when you come home.

Oct 29, 2016 4:05 PM
Jan 2015
Lolsebca said:
ThomasDankEngine said:

Waaaaaaw STRONG CASE OF MISOGYNY CLAPCLAP EVEN I COULD NOT MAKE IT.

It's not misogyny, it's the truth.
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/atus.pdf
Oct 29, 2016 4:07 PM

Sep 2016
Where is 100% option...... @OP

69 chars
Oct 29, 2016 4:07 PM

Jul 2014
I would rather kill myself than enter a relationship with a shared economy. The poll options are stupid btw, you need options above 50% if you want to include options below.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Oct 29, 2016 4:12 PM

Jan 2014
My waifu shouldn't have to work in the first place.
She's a body pillow for a reason.
Oct 29, 2016 4:29 PM

Aug 2015
Aaaaaand people wonder why marriage is fucked these days.

It's gunna get a lot worse before it will get better.

In the meantime, the best you can do is follow these rules:

1. do not cohabitate.
2. sleepover no more than 2 consecutive nights per week.
3. maintain seperate everything.
4. be responsible 100% for your genetic material.
5. do not marry.
6. have a second passport and overseas bank account.
7. enjoy yourself and your stuff.

keep doing that until this world makes up it's mind if it wants to remain in the 1950's or catch up to 2016. It is equality, or it is not. If it is equality, well earn your own money and enter private contracts. If it is not equality, stop with the stupid laws and quotas.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Oct 29, 2016 6:57 PM

Sep 2016
Veethorn said:
Why are these questions even asked...

Why not? One of the top reasons why married couples divorce is money issue. Love and affection fades, attitudes change but bills will always be there. That's the cold hard truth of a married life that people tend to forget.

The issue is actually trickier because there's also power struggle associated with who pays more. A 5050 situation for bills means that in other aspects, both parties should be 5050 as well( ie. chores, taking care of kids, making financial decisions), or else there could be resentment. That's actually why some guys prefer to pay more just so they feel more like being the head of the household and have more say in decision making.

5050 is also difficult to implement when both parties have staggeringly different income. Imagine the wife having a parttime job babysitting for example and have to pay = when the husband has a high paying income.

Culturally, 5050 or by % may not always be the norm. I'm Chinese and part of the traditional culture is the husband pays more than the wife, something like 90/10 or 80/20 with bills. But ideally the income of the wife should be put in savings or investments as a just in case some calamity happens, otherwise should just be left at the bank.

And for those requestiong a 100% or higher than 50% option:

Nope because the question is more of the standard or norm. Of course there will always be special exemptions like when a husband suddenly got fired / illness etcetc, or special arrangements.

But come on, when you ask a girl to marry her, you should not go below 5050 in bills at least. "Will you marry me, oh btw you have to pay 100% of the bills" yeah that works.
whatamelonOct 29, 2016 7:04 PM
Oct 29, 2016 7:24 PM
Oct 2016
@whatamelon It's still a matter of each couple's preference. For example my parents agreed that my mother should pay all the bills and my father should pay the loans and things like food, clothing etc. My best friend's father is an accountant so he'd rather handle the bills and have his wife pay the rest and so on and so forth.
There are no guidelines when it comes to this sort of thing and that makes it hard to discuss on a universal level.
Oct 29, 2016 7:42 PM

Mar 2008
Depends on how much money they make if any and what they both do or can do and want to do

Rothion said:
I would rather kill myself than enter a relationship with a shared economy. The poll options are stupid btw, you need options above 50% if you want to include options below.

When you marry someone you don't have to have a joint bank account.
Oct 29, 2016 7:50 PM

May 2013
As long as the couple deems the situation is fair then that's what matters. There is also more than money that comes into play. I mean ideally everything is 50/50 but each party has different things to offer each other. If it isn't equal in some fashion it is bound to fail.
Oct 29, 2016 7:56 PM

Sep 2016
I do not believe that in today's society this division still exists.
"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths." ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 30, 2016 1:35 AM

Jun 2015
whoever makes more money pays that much more.
Oct 30, 2016 1:55 AM

May 2015
50%, but someone has to take care of the kids, y'know? I think that, if possible, one parent should stay at home to be in constant touch with the kids.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 30, 2016 2:01 AM

Apr 2014
If they both don't have kids of course they should both work, but if they have kids then there is nothing wrong with either the husband or wife to stay home to look after them. Sometimes it might even be cheaper to do that anyways, if one doesn't make a lot of money and most of it would be eaten up by daycare fees anyways. I think there is a common perception that staying home and looking after the kids and cooking/cleaning is an easy job, but I know my dad couldn't do that for the life of him if he was a stay at home dad.
Oct 30, 2016 2:24 AM

Apr 2013
ugghh stupid thread. There is no correct answer...It totally depends on the circumstances of the marriage & what works for both parties.
Oct 30, 2016 2:55 AM
Jun 2013
Why not ?

My Mom pays house bills like electricity , Internet . Nothing wrong in that . Sometimes my Dad pays them , if Mom runs out of money .
Oct 30, 2016 3:34 AM

Jul 2013
Im single but if I had a waifu of course she will be paying money
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2016 4:42 AM

Jul 2009
The question is too general.
If she works and don't just sit at home raising children then isn't it obvious that she should help? And not only with the bills. I mean - it depends on a couple but if both wife and husband earn money then they should both spend it as they think is best. For example - he pays the bills, she buys food etc. But if she doesn't work and raise children, cooks, keeps the house clean, simply is just a housewife with no income, then where she should get the money from? She won't find it on the road, just waiting there for her to pick it up, so in such situation husband would be the one paying all the bills.
Oct 30, 2016 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
50% come on..equality ppl..it's 2K16
Oct 30, 2016 6:28 AM
Dec 2014
Hatred said:
50% come on..equality ppl..it's 2K16

+100000000000000000000000000000
j
Oct 30, 2016 6:34 AM

Feb 2016
Like others said, it depends on the couple and the type of circumstance they're in. Like if the wife is working, the amount of money she's earning, if she has any kids etc.

But I'd prefer to be in a relationship in which my partner and I are both working and contribute equally to the bills. The partner that earns more (whether husband or wife) might have to contribute more at the end of the day.
Oct 30, 2016 5:48 PM

Sep 2016
Manaa said:
The question is too general.
If she works and don't just sit at home raising children then isn't it obvious that she should help? And not only with the bills. I mean - it depends on a couple but if both wife and husband earn money then they should both spend it as they think is best. For example - he pays the bills, she buys food etc. But if she doesn't work and raise children, cooks, keeps the house clean, simply is just a housewife with no income, then where she should get the money from? She won't find it on the road, just waiting there for her to pick it up, so in such situation husband would be the one paying all the bills.

Yeah glad to see someone is still open to 0%/ aka housewife. They don't get alot of credit. These days if someone wants to be a housewife people woulf look at you weirdly.
Oct 30, 2016 5:58 PM

Aug 2009
>Assuming we all want to be married =/

Honestly I don't care, marriage is not something I envision in my future, despite my parents and family constantly bringing it up (I'm still in my early 20's), but yeah its fucking 2016 50/50 equality.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 12 hours ago

27 by Sad »»
6 seconds ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

37 by Sad »»
5 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

677 by Crawlie »»
2 hours ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

25 by bevarnow »»
2 hours ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.