Forum Settings
Forums

Some interesting stats on black crime that might be useful considering the incressed attention on police shootings of black's

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 23, 2016 11:33 PM

Dec 2014
Kalley said:
A black man shot by another black man in protest of a black cop shooting a black man. My white privilege is obviously the cause.

Ok quite a hard one to take it all at once
Sep 23, 2016 11:38 PM

Jun 2012
ixaa said:

tldr; I think this article is a piece of shit. the USA doesn't have a race problem but a poor vs rich problem and black people just happen to be poorer than white people because they got a late start in life.

While I can't deny that economic status plays a part in it I also can't neglect the racial/cultural issue. These views are also informed from my experience living in poverty and what I've witnessed.
Sep 23, 2016 11:47 PM

May 2010
Silverstorm said:
ixaa said:
tldr; I think this article is a piece of shit. the USA doesn't have a race problem but a poor vs rich problem and black people just happen to be poorer than white people because they got a late start in life.
You have just hit the nail on the head.

#EndThread

Dude wtf this is what I've been telling you.
Sep 24, 2016 6:05 AM

Nov 2014
BobbyFischerG said:
aikaflip said:

Last I checked, there weren't many media companies owned by Black people. Moreover, that Ferguson: In Defense of Rioting article that I linked to was written by a blue-eyed White woman.

Johnson Publishing, OWN, BET

Three. And none of those have a fraction of the influence of CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, FOX, etc.

More to my point black people could have huge influence over the media

So, the media takes no responsibility for sensationalizing white-cop on black-male violence, and pushing the Black victimhood narrative? Everything is Black people's fault, including misleading news reports written by White people? I think there's some blame to go around on all sides.

And you do know that writers like her were inspired by MLK right?

A riot is the language of the unheard.

I wonder if you, SJWs, and Alt-Righters have actually listened to what MLK said during that speech, or just cherry picked what you wanted to hear.

"I would like for all of us to believe in non-violence, but I'm here to say tonight that if every Negro in the United States turns against non-violence, I'm going to stand up as a lone voice and say, 'This is the wrong way!'"
— MLK

When he said that "a riot is the language of the unheard", he was explaining why riots happen. He wasn't condoning them.
Sep 24, 2016 6:16 AM

Feb 2016
I wouldnt trust that source its most likely biased

Anyway I get the core message that facts are facts and wherever they make you feel like its "racist" or not is irrelevant of the legitimacy of factual data.
Sep 24, 2016 6:39 AM

Mar 2011
Thrashinuva said:
Silverstorm said:
You have just hit the nail on the head.

#EndThread

Dude wtf this is what I've been telling you.
I seriously didn't get that from our exchange. ._.

And if that was one of the underlying messages, sorry for not recognizing it.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Sep 24, 2016 10:02 AM

Jun 2012
aikaflip said:

Three. And none of those have a fraction of the influence of CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, FOX, etc.

It's a start, that's the point.

So, the media takes no responsibility for sensationalizing white-cop on black-male violence, and pushing the Black victimhood narrative? Everything is Black people's fault, including misleading news reports written by White people? I think there's some blame to go around on all sides.

You could boycott media outlets that do this and hurt them where it counts. You really don't see any black people protesting against that.Why do they allow themselves to be treated like children? The media will stop once you draw a line in the sand/start a public outcry against them.

I wonder if you, SJWs, and Alt-Righters have actually listened to what MLK said during that speech, or just cherry picked what you wanted to hear.

Who the fuck ever said I agreed with their interpretation of King? I was just using it was an example of the quotemining these people are doing. Just in the past week I've had that very same quote thrown back at me to justify Baltimore and Charlotte.

I've also been accused of whitewashing King to justify non violence.

Keep calling me Alt-Right I'm sure repeating it makes it true.
Sep 24, 2016 9:56 PM
Aug 2016
Racial profiling is just nonsensical to try and use as a tool. People support it for a number of reasons: they're equating their common sense with the truth, they're giving into fear and prejudice, etc.

Now, why is racial profiling ineffective? A number of reasons, but I'll summarize 2. Firstly, it's just silly from the standpoint of probability theory. Racial profiling is based on something like this:

"Most of crime X is done by race Y. Therefore, we should focus on race Y to deter crime X."

There are many problems with this, but note this. Even if a particular group commits a particular crime more than other groups, MUST of that racial group doesn't commit that crime. Because there are soooo many more people in that racial group who don't do that criminal act, the probability that any particular member of that group will commit the crime is so low. This is because the number of innocents drops the probability to absurdly low levels.

So it's just irrational to racially profile, at least if you're sensible enough to accept modern mathematics. But the other main problem is that racial profiling causes law enforcement to waste time repeatedly focusing on individuals who are almost certainly innocent. This is a waste of resources, which causes members of other group's to get away that crime more than the profiled group. This also makes the other groups more likely to commit that crime, since they think the cops won't focus on them as much.

http://m.pnas.org/content/106/6/1716.full
MindForgedSep 24, 2016 10:39 PM
Sep 24, 2016 10:18 PM

May 2010
MindForged said:
"Most of crime X is done by race Y. Therefore, we should focus on race Y to determine crime X."

This is entirely based on the hypothesis that racial profiling is the ONLY tool that you use.

In your scenario, we're not even checking the alibi's of all persons involved, or finding out the details of the victim.
Sep 24, 2016 10:39 PM
Aug 2016
Thrashinuva said:
MindForged said:
"Most of crime X is done by race Y. Therefore, we should focus on race Y to deter crime X."

This is entirely based on the hypothesis that racial profiling is the ONLY tool that you use.

In your scenario, we're not even checking the alibi's of all persons involved, or finding out the details of the victim.

Er, no. The point is that as a tool, racial profiling is already demonstrably (and theoretically) ineffective and counter-productive. If a tool was shown to be ineffective in and of itself, you have no reason to suggest that it will start becoming effective once paired with proven methods.
Further, you're confusing a suspect description with racial profiling. Suspect descriptions come from a known crime that has occurred and has a very limited scope of who it applies to. Racial profiling is done before any crime has occurred (or else applied to entire groups), so alibi's and victims are not even a thing, and it applies to entire racial & ethnic groups. It isn't based on anything scientific, just people'say hunches & biases.

Think about it this way. Homeopathy is nonsense. People defending it are just misinformed. So imagine if a homeopath ran the argument you just gave:

"This is entirely based on the hypothesis that homeopathy is the ONLY tool that you use."

Why would anyone take that seriously? They shouldnt, it's transparently besides the point. We know homeopathy doesn't work, so we're not going to use it with actual medicine (which has proven results).
Sep 25, 2016 6:02 AM

Nov 2014
BobbyFischerG said:
aikaflip said:

You could boycott media outlets that do this and hurt them where it counts. You really don't see any black people protesting against that.

See, you're underestimating the influence of the media. You don't see the Blacks or Whites who object to media manipulation because the media isn't showing them to you. In general, the mainstream media doesn't give a platform to conservative or libertarian voices, especially ones that make valid points against their narratives.

Why do they allow themselves to be treated like children?

Who's "they"? Some Blacks, all Blacks, or the Blacks that the media shows you?
Sep 25, 2016 7:59 AM

May 2010
MindForged said:
Suspect descriptions.

AKA profiling.
It isn't based on anything scientific, just people'say hunches & biases.

What you're describing is bias. In actuality there are statistics behind it. A "hunch" based on personal values is bias. A "hunch" based on statistics is probability.
MindForged said:
Racial profiling is done before any crime has occurred (or else applied to entire groups), so alibi's and victims are not even a thing, and it applies to entire racial & ethnic groups.

You're suggesting that cops go out and find people based on race to suspect, without any inclination that a crime has been committed. Regardless of race, this isn't profiling at at. When you include race, then it's clearly just racism.
MindForged said:
Er, no. The point is that as a tool, racial profiling is already demonstrably (and theoretically) ineffective and counter-productive. If a tool was shown to be ineffective in and of itself, you have no reason to suggest that it will start becoming effective once paired with proven methods.

This is entirely on the basis that the tool can accomplish nothing on its own. On its own, Racial Profiling still produces a result, regardless if you feel it's accurate or not. A wide variety of other investigative tools are just as inaccurate, and can still produce a result. When all of these things are put together, you get a clearer picture of the reality surrounding the situation, and can better determine everyone's placement within a crime's circumstances.

As far as homeopathy is concerned, I'm no expert, but as far as investigative purposes, you may be able to use the information that results from what is essentially malpractice, in order to actually diagnose (not cure), the sick person. Of course, if the person using it isn't basing their practice at all on statistics or probability, and is instead doing random things at random, then they're not likely to glean any useful information at all. Either way, you're talking about treatment and I'm talking about investigation. Homeopathy as a form of treatment doesn't sound like it follows any form of statistics, as such it's not a science.
Sep 25, 2016 11:12 AM
Aug 2016
Thrashinuva said:
MindForged said:
Suspect descriptions.

AKA profiling.

Suspect descriptions can only be done once a specific crime has occurred. Racial profiling is done whether or not a specific crime has occurred. And further, suspect descriptions dont merely incorporate race; racial profiling by definition only focuses on race. So no, they're not the same.

What you're describing is bias. In actuality there are statistics behind it. A "hunch" based on personal values is bias. A "hunch" based on statistics is probability.

Except that people aren't omniscient (or even informed) evidence gathering machines. The average person has neither knowledge of all crimes committed by particular groups, nor knowledge of all convicted crimes by particular groups. Rather, it's based on pure assumptions and stereotypes, not information on how the world actually is. This is simply an irrational basis on which to make any statistical argument.

You're suggesting that cops go out and find people based on race to suspect, without any inclination that a crime has been committed. Regardless of race, this isn't profiling at at. When you include race, then it's clearly just racism.

That's exactly what profiling is. Lemme give an example. In NYC, cops were pulling over absurd numbers of black & Latino citizens in their so- "stop and frisk" policing. About 90% of those stopped & frisked weren't white. Cops were doing this based on the thought that racial profiling works. The problem is that literally 93% of the non-whites they pulled over were innocent of any wrong doing. No specific crime had occurred. And what did this produce? Resentment in these communities for cops. And more to the point, whites started getting away with more drug related crimes and ended up accounting for a huge percentage of the drug crimes, despite rarely being pulled over. This naturally occurs when you focus on certain groups in advance of any actual wrongdoing. Non-Non-profit ed groups begin to think they can actually with impunity, which they can because of racial profiling.

This is entirely on the basis that the tool can accomplish nothing on its own. On its own, Racial Profiling still produces a result, regardless if you feel it's accurate or not. A wide variety of other investigative tools are just as inaccurate, and can still produce a result. When all of these things are put together, you get a clearer picture of the reality surrounding the situation, and can better determine everyone's placement within a crime's circumstances.

What? The point is that the "results" that racial profiling has aren't the results you're implying. Racial profiling results in fewer criminals being caught, increases Resentment of law enforcement (which further decreases the capture of criminals) and it makes a mess of the judicial process since cops are taking the law into their own hands. You have yet to provide a single bit of evidence that racial profiling - in any setting - is beneficial in reducing or preventing overall crime. I posted a link on the previous page with evidence against its effectiveness (specifically in catching terrorists, but it generalizes).

As far as homeopathy is concerned, I'm no expert, but as far as investigative purposes, you may be able to use the information that results from what is essentially malpractice, in order to actually diagnose (not cure), the sick person. Of course, if the person using it isn't basing their practice at all on statistics or probability, and is instead doing random things at random, then they're not likely to glean any useful information at all. Either way, you're talking about treatment and I'm talking about investigation. Homeopathy as a form of treatment doesn't sound like it follows any form of statistics, as such it's not a science.

Simply basing a claim on supposed and usually unspecified) statistics is not science. Science is, fundamentally, about developing predictive models of reality. The problem is you've yet to show any scientific evidence that profiling reduces overall crime or prevents crimes. I've given a paper which indicates that it fails to prevent crime, and I gave a real-life example (NYC stop & frisk) where racial profiling, in actual practice, failed to produce the results people say it produces.
MindForgedSep 25, 2016 11:17 AM
Sep 25, 2016 12:05 PM

May 2010
MindForged said:
The problem is you've yet to show any scientific evidence that profiling reduces overall crime or prevents crimes.

Why would it? It isn't a preventative measure, it's an investigative one.

And it's based on statistics which many on this topic have sourced, from the very own FBI. Furthermore it gets fairly specific.

Statistics are science. Statistics are probability. Probability leads to predictability. It's not experimental science, and you never get to know all the variables. Because you don't know all the variables, you sometimes get it wrong. However it isn't God's chosen will to influence likely crime rates by certain types of individuals in a given area. You may not be able to ascertain all the variables, but that doesn't mean that you can't diminish the gap with whatever variables you can ascertain.

I'm not really interested in arguing this much further. I took out "racial" out of "racial profiling" for a reason when I said it.

And it's preposterous to think there aren't any statistics. When a crime happens and a perpetrator is indicted, things get process. Paperwork is left behind. Variables get reported. People collect this information. It can all be viewed online by literally anyone who has an internet connected device. These very same statistics have been cited numerous times by various users here in this very topic.
Sep 25, 2016 12:07 PM

Jan 2011
We have come full circle and segregation is good again anyway.
Sep 25, 2016 2:31 PM
Aug 2016
Thrashinuva said:

Why would it? It isn't a preventative measure, it's an investigative one.

This is simply false. I already gave you a significant example to prove this point: the stop & frisk policing in NYC. No crime had been committed, & yet explicitly racially targeted policing was done in advance of any crime. That's the whole point behind doing racial profiling.

And it's based on statistics which many on this topic have sourced, from the very own FBI. Furthermore it gets fairly specific.

Statistics are science. Statistics are probability. Probability leads to predictability. It's not experimental science, and you never get to know all the variables. Because you don't know all the variables, you sometimes get it wrong. However it isn't God's chosen will to influence likely crime rates by certain types of individuals in a given area. You may not be able to ascertain all the variables, but that doesn't mean that you can't diminish the gap with whatever variables you can ascertain.

I've no idea what relevance any of that has to what I said (also statistics is a branch of mathematics, not science).

And it's preposterous to think there aren't any statistics. When a crime happens and a perpetrator is indicted, things get process. Paperwork is left behind. Variables get reported. People collect this information. It can all be viewed online by literally anyone who has an internet connected device. These very same statistics have been cited numerous times by various users here in this very topic.

I didn't say there weren't statistics, I said that the average person supporting racial profiling has no knowledge of the actual crime statistics. And hence, their support of racial profiling is just based on stereotypes & their limited experience (leaving aside the fact that it is ineffective).
Sep 25, 2016 3:33 PM

May 2010
MindForged said:
I already gave you a significant example

An example of bad policing is not proof that all policing is bad. Why is it that you stop at the tool and not at the choices of those involved?

also statistics is a branch of mathematics, not science

Math and science are very closely related. You could even say that science is a much more involved form of math, simply with more real world applications. I've stressed up till this point about probability, but people don't just look at the numbers and then end their train of thought there. When you look at causality of why it's so probable, that's science. It might not be chemicals or biology, but that doesn't make it not science.

I said that the average person supporting racial profiling has no knowledge of the actual crime statistics.
Lot's of people don't have knowledge of lots of things. That's fairly independent of whether or not those things are true or false.
Sep 25, 2016 3:35 PM
Mar 2011
AIU is that you ..............
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 25, 2016 4:16 PM
Aug 2016
Thrashinuva said:

An example of bad policing is not proof that all policing is bad. Why is it that you stop at the tool and not at the choices of those involved?

And I didn't say that all policing was bad in the first place. I stopped at the tool because if people are going to defend racial profiling, they need to sow that it's an effective tool. If it isn't an effective tool, there's no sense in supporting it.

Math and science are very closely related. You could even say that science is a much more involved form of math, simply with more real world applications. I've stressed up till this point about probability, but people don't just look at the numbers and then end their train of thought there. When you look at causality of why it's so probable, that's science. It might not be chemicals or biology, but that doesn't make it not science.

Statistics isn't a science at all. Science is about the way the world is. Mathematics is about quantity. But I'm still not sure why we're discussing this, lol.

Lot's of people don't have knowledge of lots of things. That's fairly independent of whether or not those things are true or false.

If people support racial profiling, they need to have justification for supporting it. You say that crime statistics give a good reason for racial profiling. They dont, but even assuming that they did, my point is that most people supporting it don't know about those stats. They support racial profiling based on stereotypes & what makes them feel comfortable.
Sep 25, 2016 4:32 PM

May 2010
MindForged said:
I stopped at the tool because if people are going to defend racial profiling, they need to sow that it's an effective tool.

The statistics prove it to be self evident, no? You were attacking it as a preventative measure when it was never one to begin with. Yet if we're to believe that racial profiling has been in use as an investigative tool, then conviction rates serve as empirical evidence, which further shows itself in the crime stats. After all it's not as if those stats came from nothing or some kind of public study.
Statistics isn't a science at all. Science is about the way the world is.

So "Black violence is more prevalent than White violence" is not "the way the world is"? Regardless, Math is prevalent within the world, even outside of your classroom, and it's prevalent in science. You don't get anywhere in science without measuring things, which directly calls for math.

They support racial profiling based on stereotypes & what makes them feel comfortable.

So we should just judge the subject based on people who are misinformed? People who are irrelevant to the actual subject at hand?
Sep 25, 2016 5:25 PM

Dec 2009
Race doesn't matter that much
US is still the shittiest in terms of police killing civilians among modernized countries. We should put US among developing countries in terms of law and order ftw.
Sep 25, 2016 5:27 PM

Apr 2013
tbh fuck the police
an egomaniac and a fool

Sep 25, 2016 6:38 PM
Aug 2016
Thrashinuva said:

The statistics prove it to be self evident, no? You were attacking it as a preventative measure when it was never one to begin with. Yet if we're to believe that racial profiling has been in use as an investigative tool, then conviction rates serve as empirical evidence, which further shows itself in the crime stats. After all it's not as if those stats came from nothing or some kind of public study.

No, the stats do not prove that racial profiling is "self-evident". That's a weasel word used to avoid giving an actual justification for a claim. Racial profiling IS used as an attempted preventative measure. That's the point behind it. The idea is that of crime deterrence, that is, that by profiling particular racial groups, the crime levels will decrease because the profiling is thought to make crime less appealling. This is the justification that is actually given by its defenders. What you're talking about is, again, suspect description not racial profiling. And as I alreadypointed out, racial profiling tends to increase the amount of crimes among the non-non-profiled groups.

So "Black violence is more prevalent than White violence" is not "the way the world is"? Regardless, Math is prevalent within the world, even outside of your classroom, and it's prevalent in science. You don't get anywhere in science without measuring things, which directly calls for math.

This is why I asked what we were talking about statistics in and of itself. "Statistics" refers to a branch of mathematics. What you're talking about are particular statistics. This is, I repeat, entirely irrelevant the discussion about racial profiling, so I'm done with this bit.

So we should just judge the subject based on people who are misinformed? People who are irrelevant to the actual subject at hand?

That's where most of the support comes from. And to be frank, nothing you've said about racial profiling is particularly informed either. You didn't realize the main reason racial profiling is used, i.e. crime deterrance. These people are relevant because they are who I initially responded to in this thread before we went down this rabbit hole.
Sep 25, 2016 8:00 PM

Jul 2012
While a world without black people would suck, a world without the police would suck even more.
Sep 26, 2016 6:16 PM

Aug 2013
AMAZING and great deduction. Really wish there was an explanation though for why mainly whites shoot up schools in America and why mainly white priests molest kids.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.