Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 26, 2016 11:42 AM

Feb 2010
Okeyy~ too basically summarize my thoughts after watching the episode:

The scene where Ryota was absolutely appalled by what Junko said about anime was absolutely hilarious. Actually, Junko was just so hilarious this episode I died of laughter when she called herself Ryota's otaku friend, when she showed her evil smirk, when her eyes were rolling all over the place, when she made Mukuro sing "Tsubasa wa Kudasai" during the student council killing (when I shouldn't be laughing...but nearly died), anddd when she was so excited to show Izuru despair on their 'date'.

Junko...ahh, all around batshit crazy but sooo entertaining xD Can't forget that Komaeda fanservice scene tho. Aesthetics in this episode tho, guyys. ON POINNNTT. haha but all joking asiddeee, there are some pretty interesting things that happen this episode as well.

First and foremost, when Ryota showed Junko his anime, it really did have the ability to touch hearts and when Ryota shared some of his techniques...Junko did her evil smirk. And I didn't get it at first, but obviously she had already planned out her next moves in her head. Ryota tells her that he adds certain nuances to his anime that affect people psychologically and almost resembles brainwashing.

Brainwashing...honestly, I think it's not too much a stretch to assume that she takes this information and uses it to GREATLY benefit her plan of spreading despair all over the world. And this can be easily done by brainwashing students into following her. I think it would also explain the Ultimate Despairs' behaviours as they literally had to have probably had a psychological change of mind when they were later described as being "infected" by despair. What would drive them to have a goal of spreading despair across the entire world? I mean they can have a few loose screws after something happens to them, Junko can manipulate them, but my guess is that brainwashing is the method Junko used to create this army of allies.

And this would also be one perfect explanation for why Junko had an intuition that her meeting with Ryota was a 'fateful encounter'. Never would she have thought that anime would have benefited her in any way, but if she did learn brainwashing from Ryota then him basically telling her how to make an army of brainwashed followers is highly beneficial to her agenda.
Junko probably got this idea when she realized that Izuru has a motive to follow her, and an idea sparked that she can get many people to follow her plans instead of just working solo. I'm not saying the remnants of despair didn't have a reason to join Junko, maybe they did, but they ultimately would have had been brainwashed and manipulated to have gone to those extremes. I don't want to make the overarching assumption that Junko brainwashed ALL of them though...I believe Izuru was not brainwashed and Komaeda...is actually already that crazy so we can all agree he doesn't really need brainwashing ^^;

Dreams_of_Neko said:

But then why didn´t Naegi explain that to the Future Foundation? In Mirai-hen flashback it is shown he finds Izuru, and then there is a close up shot of 2 flowers in the same room, probably put by Izuru. For someone who is a member of Ultimate Despair, that detail seems useless. He was most likely never influenced by Junko (by the hints we are given in this episode), so he could have explained the real situation of the other members of the despair faction.

But it seems no one is aware of that?

Interesting observation. As I explained above, I don't believe all of them were brainwashed, and Naegi wouldn't have known that the remnants of despair were brainwashed if they were. I think the only person who could probably know this is Izuru, Mukuro, Junko, andd Ryota. Izuru is a part of the Ultimate Despair, however his motives are clearly different from the others, and he doesn't seem to particularly love Junko's crazy ideals. To me, it seems like Izuru is more intrigued by how spontaneous despair is and he seems to be learning rather than participating, I'm not saying he never participated in the activities of the Ultimate Despair, but I'm saying he definitely seems to have different motives so his actions are a bit different. Particularly since we've been reaffirmed this episode that Junko made up stuff about Izuru or "used him" for her plans.

So, for him to not be influenced and everyone else to be influenced...Izuru probably saw no purpose in telling the despair members since they are brainwashed? I'm not sure if that's what you were trying to say (maybe I misread what you wrote?) but he's definitely an outsider in his motive for 'joining'. Similarly, if he told Naegi then that information would be useless, since we all know that no matter what Munakata would get rid of the Ultimate Despairs simply because they have been tainted by despair. He wouldn't care if the remnants of despair were used by Junko at all. Izuru also doesn't seem to have a motive to help out the others...that is...probably not until around the time Naegi met up with him. Izuru could technically have escaped from the Future Foundation if we think about what great abilities and powers he posses. We can all assume that he got captured to implant Junko A.I. into him, but I think Izuru probably had some plan to defeat Junko instead of become Junko (but that's my personal opinion).

Not sure if this may be a clue to what might be happening in Mirai-hen? Hmm...the fact that Izuru could know most of Ultimate despair is brainwashed and is not doing anything about it makes sense to me. Maybe he's scheming something and is keeping it to himself after all he is smarter than Junko, more analytical, and can devise a plan to ...to do what however is something idk. However, the fact that Ryota knows and could possibly be responsible for the fall of his classmates makes me confused. Ryota definitely seems to have lost confidence in his anime's ability to bring people hope over the years...could the fall of his classmates be a possible reason why?

EarlCielAug 26, 2016 12:06 PM
Aug 26, 2016 12:25 PM

Feb 2010
Angry_Always said:

The characters' reactions to the killing game we see in the original anime adaption is much more believable then 'they all go insane in 5 minutes and lose any semblance of their former character'.

I mean...what did you expect the student council killing to be like? For there to be a dramatic battle royale anime separate from the main plot? For there to be character development for characters that really don't hold much importance in the plot, as we watch them realistically suffer?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking your opinion, though since I understand what you're saying, since I also felt it was sort of awkwardly inserted into the plot and its sole purpose was to progress the plot. I do agree it could have been better presented, but I also do understand why they took the approach that they did. They focused on presenting the main points which is how gruesome the student council killing was and how a group of acquaintances can go from working with one another to killing one another when given the situation. Of course, different people react differently, but the power of the situation is really what triggered this madness. Realistically, people wouldn't probably kill each other that quickly but if they are being threatened, if someone is coming towards you and trying to kill you, you honestly lose your mind and do whatever it takes to survive. Thus, it was executed in this way where a group of people seemed to be reduced to a rampage of beasts. Not even human.
Aug 26, 2016 12:26 PM

Jan 2015
EarlCiel said:
[
Interesting observation. As I explained above, I don't believe all of them were brainwashed, and Naegi wouldn't have known that the remnants of despair were brainwashed if they were. I think the only person who could probably know this is Izuru, Mukuro, Junko, andd Ryota. Izuru is a part of the Ultimate Despair, however his motives are clearly different from the others, and he doesn't seem to particularly love Junko's crazy ideals. To me, it seems like Izuru is more intrigued by how spontaneous despair is and he seems to be learning rather than participating, I'm not saying he never participated in the activities of the Ultimate Despair, but I'm saying he definitely seems to have different motives so his actions are a bit different. Particularly since we've been reaffirmed this episode that Junko made up stuff about Izuru or "used him" for her plans.

So, for him to not be influenced and everyone else to be influenced...Izuru probably saw no purpose in telling the despair members since they are brainwashed? I'm not sure if that's what you were trying to say but he's definitely an outsider in his motive for 'joining'. Similarly, if he told Naegi then that information would be useless since we all know that no matter what Munakata would get rid of the Ultimate Despairs simply because they have been tainted by despair. He wouldn't care if they were used at all.

Not sure if this may be a clue to what might be happening in Mirai-hen? Hmm...the fact that Izuru could know most of Ultimate despair is brainwashed and is not doing anything about it makes sense to me. Maybe he's scheming something and is keeping it to himself after all he is smarter than Junko, more analytical, and can devise a plan to ...to do what however is something idk. However, the fact that Ryota knows and could possibly be responsible for the fall of his classmates makes me confused. Ryota definitely seems to have lost confidence in his anime's ability to bring people hope over the years...could the fall of his classmates be a possible reason why?

Ah, I meant that Izuru could have told Naegi about the brainwashing, but you are most likely right that Munakata would still five a F and kill them anyway.
Izuru now looks like the spectator or "room" in this part of the story until he gets into action in DR Another? (taking Monokuma´s hard drives)....

Maybe Mitarai wasn´t exactly the responsibe of the fall of his classmates, but he failed to recover them in Jabberwock island? Ah, but this part is just a theroy of mine. He could have participated in the Neo World Program project, at first I thought he did the script and enviroment, but after this episode, his abilities to alter the human brain must be added to why he was recruited. But then the Junko AI infected the program.
Aug 26, 2016 1:38 PM

Feb 2015
That fucking gruesome scenes just lack of one thing, the cencorship. if they remove that, it would me epic imo. seriously, this episode fucked up my mind especially because that scene where those students from the student council were killing each other in a freaking horrifiying way. i never expected it to be that gruesome. even tho they cencored it, it was still looked gruesome to me. tbh, and imo, that scenes, all of that killing/death scenes, are way gruesome than any other killing/death scenes in danganronpa or danganronpa 2. beyond what i expected to be. i mean, not only the guy who got killed horribly, but the girl....look at when the small girl got killed by the big guy. the way he stabbed her wasn't just a normal stabbed. pressure. impact. and look at her face when she got stabbed. i'm just like "what the fuck?!?!?!" and the part when a guy got killed by a big nail if i'm not wrong. and the guy fell on her girlfriend. and the killed hit the nail to stabbed the girl from her stomach. and the girl was asking for help....

the way they made those scenes....it just beautifully done. well...i'm talking like junko now....lol...but seriously, the way they made that, it was a really well made imo. especially the soundtrack too. it sounds kinda eerie in my ears...

and that's when it all begin. all of those thousand reverse students will be killing each other cause of junko's perfect plan xD this is what happened to the student council part...and it already went beyond my expectation. obviously i'm looking foward for the next one xD
Aug 26, 2016 1:51 PM

Sep 2012
For the ones complaining about it feeling rushed and the lack of backstory for the characters I must ask:
Alot of us already got to know the majority of the characters from the games and we're just itching to see their despair, would you have really preferred getting to know the sacrificial lambs before hand and be even more heartbroken when we get to see their fates? Could it be that alot of you are starting to show signs of becoming more accepting of despair? ^_^ Ooooooooo Junko is starting to brainwash you all!!!!!!!
Aug 26, 2016 2:08 PM

Aug 2011
Damn, the despair was strong in this ep ;_;

Excellent use of the soundtrack and case summary at the end was neat.
Aug 26, 2016 8:10 PM
Mar 2016
Junko is best girl no other girl can top her (although chiakis cool too...)
Aug 26, 2016 9:17 PM

Jul 2012
The plot in this is still awful, but this is the best episode by far just for that death game scene! That was so unexpectedly brutal!! I loved it.
Aug 26, 2016 10:03 PM

Sep 2011
Angry_Always said:
I never really like the whole "Students Instantly Become Insane Killers" thing. In things like Another or Grisaia, it always feels unrealistic and just for the shock value and to be twisted. People don't just become insane, sadistic murderers within fifteen minutes -_- . It felt really unnatural and incredibly rushed.

I don't know about Grisaia but I thought it's believable given that they've been there for days and losing food source, which by that they start losing their minds, but I do agree with you on Another.

On this Danganronpa, there's Junko. She always have ways to encourage people to get despaired and start killing people(Extreme motive, seducing with money, blackmailing, etc), proof is the first Danganronpa. I don't think it's rushed but I think something's missing like on the first Danganronpa, the characters on the killing game are given and shown a very solid proof like she showed tons of money, each characters' secrets via paper/letter which it seems true, etc. However on this, the case(?) that Junko shown given that she enumerated tons on what's the inside on those cases are really ambiguous. Did they totally believe Junko that those she enumerated are really inside on those cases? Something like that base on what I saw there on that scene.

Still, it's still fun since this is Danganronpa and it'll feel incomplete without any kind of killing game.

Aug 26, 2016 10:31 PM
Mar 2012
lol anime is brainwashing, good one, Junko needs that.
Scout seems more on Kirigiri's side now, and Animator & clumsy girl on Junko side.
Aug 26, 2016 10:43 PM

Feb 2013
baffledprince said:
The plot in this is still awful, but this is the best episode by far just for that death game scene! That was so unexpectedly brutal!! I loved it.

>Watching DR for the plot
Are you ok?

gophercg said:
lol anime is brainwashing, good one, Junko needs that.
Scout seems more on Kirigiri's side now, and Animator & clumsy girl on Junko side.

I don't think that Ryota is with Junko,he seems to be tricked and of course that Mikan is going to joing Junko.
Aug 26, 2016 11:07 PM

Mar 2014
Holy fucking shit ok.
Best episode yet; Kodaka really not holding back.
Mukuro singing Tsubasa wo Kudasai in the background elevated this scene into legendary status.

Aug 27, 2016 4:10 AM

Sep 2015
Tennouji said:
Angry_Always said:
I never really like the whole "Students Instantly Become Insane Killers" thing. In things like Another or Grisaia, it always feels unrealistic and just for the shock value and to be twisted. People don't just become insane, sadistic murderers within fifteen minutes -_- . It felt really unnatural and incredibly rushed.

I don't know about Grisaia but I thought it's believable given that they've been there for days and losing food source, which by that they start losing their minds, but I do agree with you on Another.

On this Danganronpa, there's Junko. She always have ways to encourage people to get despaired and start killing people(Extreme motive, seducing with money, blackmailing, etc), proof is the first Danganronpa. I don't think it's rushed but I think something's missing like on the first Danganronpa, the characters on the killing game are given and shown a very solid proof like she showed tons of money, each characters' secrets via paper/letter which it seems true, etc. However on this, the case(?) that Junko shown given that she enumerated tons on what's the inside on those cases are really ambiguous. Did they totally believe Junko that those she enumerated are really inside on those cases? Something like that base on what I saw there on that scene.

Still, it's still fun since this is Danganronpa and it'll feel incomplete without any kind of killing game.

Yeah but there's killing out of desperation or fear, then there's evilly smirking whilst you twist the knife into an innocent classmate of yours. In Grisaia they were there for weeks with death and starvation every day. Here they see one person get shot, a couple secrets about them and suddenly they all become mad killers.

The thing about DR1 is it took a lot of time and build up for a murder to occur and even then the characters didn't go randomly batshit crazy and start killing each other with smiles and wide eyes. It was much more realistic on the human side. The shift from council members to insane killers in this episode just seems waayyyy too rushed and cheap to be satisfying IMO.
Aug 27, 2016 4:15 AM

Sep 2015
EarlCiel said:
Angry_Always said:

The characters' reactions to the killing game we see in the original anime adaption is much more believable then 'they all go insane in 5 minutes and lose any semblance of their former character'.

I mean...what did you expect the student council killing to be like? For there to be a dramatic battle royale anime separate from the main plot? For there to be character development for characters that really don't hold much importance in the plot, as we watch them realistically suffer?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking your opinion, though since I understand what you're saying, since I also felt it was sort of awkwardly inserted into the plot and its sole purpose was to progress the plot. I do agree it could have been better presented, but I also do understand why they took the approach that they did. They focused on presenting the main points which is how gruesome the student council killing was and how a group of acquaintances can go from working with one another to killing one another when given the situation. Of course, different people react differently, but the power of the situation is really what triggered this madness. Realistically, people wouldn't probably kill each other that quickly but if they are being threatened, if someone is coming towards you and trying to kill you, you honestly lose your mind and do whatever it takes to survive. Thus, it was executed in this way where a group of people seemed to be reduced to a rampage of beasts. Not even human.

I'd be more accepting of it if, say, one like the girl went crazy and the victim defended themself in the panic of the moment and killed her. But things like the big guy saying "I'll protect you" then stabbing the little bunny girl with a massive fucking grin is a completely different kind of sadistic killing that would only be performed by a psychopath.

The fact they all went Higurashi no Koko on our asses is what bothers me. I feel like if Junko found some absurd way to keep them locked up for weeks or even months to get them to that stage I'd be more accepting as it would make more sense character wise. Here the switch from regular human sanity to gory sadistic killers is comparable to shitty anime like Corpse Party where someone sees one dead body and suddenly becomes a deranged lunatic killer.

I've loved this anime and will continue to as it is part of DR lore but this point just seemed rushed and character wise unrealistic to the highest degree. The point of maybe Junko's sister singing having something to do with brainwashing seems unlikely but if so I'd accept it more.
Aug 27, 2016 7:25 AM

Dec 2012
I am so happy to finally know what happened before the first season. Junko is now out of control and she trains herself to create her future death game.
The censorship was excessive...
Aug 27, 2016 9:57 AM

Jan 2015
@Angry_Always : Actually, the big guy said "It will be fine" to the pikachu girl before stabbing her, not in a "gonna protect you" way, but in a "it will be fast" or "you´re gonna die anyways" way.

--------------------------------

A few things that caught my attention during this episode:

- Despite being "Ultimate Soldier" and avoiding the icepick attack in previous episodes, Mukuro received a frontal headshot, courtesy of Junko´s bat. Guess Mitarai´s anime was that good, it made her lower her guard.

- I already mentioned it before, but Mitarai´s proyect logo resembles Komaeda´s background in the opening. Maybe it is a hint that Komaeda would be the "trigger" of what happened to his classmates.

- Mukuro´s narration of Junko´s abilities. It really felt out of character. Maybe it is another hint we are actually watching Mitarai´s anime?

- Did the glasses guy got decapitated? And his body still managed to raise it´s arm AND shoot at Izuru? what a feat.
Aug 27, 2016 10:08 AM

Sep 2015
Dreams_of_Neko said:
@Angry_Always : Actually, the big guy said "It will be fine" to the pikachu girl before stabbing her, not in a "gonna protect you" way, but in a "it will be fast" or "you´re gonna die anyways" way.

--------------------------------

A few things that caught my attention during this episode:

- Despite being "Ultimate Soldier" and avoiding the icepick attack in previous episodes, Mukuro received a frontal headshot, courtesy of Junko´s bat. Guess Mitarai´s anime was that good, it made her lower her guard.

- I already mentioned it before, but Mitarai´s proyect logo resembles Komaeda´s background in the opening. Maybe it is a hint that Komaeda would be the "trigger" of what happened to his classmates.

- Mukuro´s narration of Junko´s abilities. It really felt out of character. Maybe it is another hint we are actually watching Mitarai´s anime?

- Did the glasses guy got decapitated? And his body still managed to raise it´s arm AND shoot at Izuru? what a feat.

The thing with the big guy, thanks for pointing it out but my point is the same regardless. Killing her for no reason then attacking like a madman. I say no reason as it had been three minutes since the killfest started and she wanted to live.

You know, I thought the EXACT same thing with Mukuro being hit, Junko couldn't stab her at all but then she gets hit. I'm guessing that's how powerful his anime is.

Mukuro, though, does have a realistic idea of Junko and who she is. By reading IF we know she is aware of the terrible nature of Junko and her abilities but goes along anyway for her sake, meaning she isn't deluded as such, just devoted.

I feel like the glasses guy's face got fucked up but not fully decapitated, that'd be silly... and gross.
Aug 27, 2016 10:10 AM

Apr 2012
I totally agree with you @Angry_Always . This episode could have been so much better.

But one thing that you should keep in mind is that Junko did not necessarily go straight from Ryouta to Izuru. The video they watched (which is probably the same video we see in DR0) was probably made using what Junko had recently learned with Mitarai. She *could* have slightly brainwashed them in order to ease them into killing each other. Of course, why not show the damn video and set the mood beforehand? No idea. They really dropped the ball with this.

Regardless, it was very disappoiting...

And I swear, if Kodaka pulls a meta ending with this I'm going to be so pissed off...
Aug 27, 2016 10:27 AM

Sep 2015
BluexMage said:
I totally agree with you @Angry_Always . This episode could have been so much better.

But one thing that you should keep in mind is that Junko did not necessarily go straight from Ryouta to Izuru. The video they watched (which is probably the same video we see in DR0) was probably made using what Junko had recently learned with Mitarai. She *could* have slightly brainwashed them in order to ease them into killing each other. Of course, why not show the damn video and set the mood beforehand? No idea. They really dropped the ball with this.

Regardless, it was very disappoiting...

And I swear, if Kodaka pulls a meta ending with this I'm going to be so pissed off...

That's pretty much what I thought too. Had they used Ryota's anime the sudden change from regular students to insane killers may have been a little believable. I thought maybe somehow the song from Mukuro was one Ryota said could affect emotions but then I thought that was dumb, she's a soldier so she wouldn't have the talent to do such a thing.

I remember learning about the 'original' mutual killing in DR2 and on wikis and I always wondered where exactly it fit in. Apparently it took place literally over fifteen minutes :/ Kinda underwhelming. The thing about mutual killings is it's not a deathmatch. You begin thinking no one would do such a thing, then come the doubts and suspicions, then come the incentives offered by Monokuma, then the secrets, then the people becoming killers.

But never in DR1 or DR 2 did it resort to random stabbings everywhere and no actual 'mystery' or suspense behind any of it, like how the other two mutual killings were. It's meant to be a murder mystery, not whatever the hell that was. I'm honestly surprised the majority of the community loved that messy mutual killing.

Also disappointed but I guess the bigger mystery of the series is how the class will fall to despair. I really hope it isn't something cheap like 'they all get shown Ryota's anime', that'd be incredibly lame and easy. So I guess this plot point got given the short straw.
Aug 27, 2016 10:43 AM

Aug 2016
Angry_Always said:
But never in DR1 or DR 2 did it resort to random stabbings everywhere and no actual 'mystery' or suspense behind any of it, like how the other two mutual killings were. It's meant to be a murder mystery, not whatever the hell that was. I'm honestly surprised the majority of the community loved that messy mutual killing.

This mutual killing was clearly not supposed to be a murder mystery at all. It was specifically designed to be messy, fast and gruesome. Then all Junko had to do was pin the blame on Izuru immediately and take advantage of how fast things escalate to plunge people into despair.

I'll admit that their transformation into crazy killers wasn't exactly believable, but we can assume that not everything was showed and it's possible they got to check their motives before everyone entered into this state of mind. Plus, they all got through a good deal of emotional stress when Mukuro killed the girl in the beginning, threatening to kill them all if they did not abide by the rules.

There's also a possibility that some of them were not exactly sane to begin with, or at least easy to break.
ManecleisAug 27, 2016 10:49 AM
Aug 27, 2016 11:10 AM
Apr 2016
Pride- said:

>Watching DR for the plot
Are you ok?

I actually thought DR2 was one of the better games I've ever played because of the plot. The first game was admittedly more about aesthetic though, but it was still compelling in its own way. I expect the quality of DR3's plot to be somewhere in the middle.
Aug 27, 2016 11:27 AM

Sep 2015
Manecleis said:
Angry_Always said:

This mutual killing was clearly not supposed to be a murder mystery at all. It was specifically designed to be messy, fast and gruesome. Then all Junko had to do was pin the blame on Izuru immediately and take advantage of how fast things escalate to plunge people into despair.

I'll admit that their transformation into crazy killers wasn't exactly believable, but we can assume that not everything was showed and it's possible they got to check their motives before everyone entered into this state of mind. Plus, they all got through a good deal of emotional stress when Mukuro killed the girl in the beginning, threatening to kill them all if they did not abide by the rules.

There's also a possibility that some of them were not exactly sane to begin with, or at least easy to break.

I understand the intention was to disrupt Hope's peak but the thing itself just seems so unreal and forced. I did think about the girl getting shot but then again the EXACT same thing happened with "Enoshima Junko" at the beginning of DR1. She was killed to prove the gravity of the situation but the rest didn't turn psycho instantly.

The best part of DR in my opinion is the characters and psychological aspect so this episode was a letdown for me but I understand it's just a stepping stone to larger things. Hopefully those larger things being clever psychological things and not 'Junko shows video to main class, class turns evil'
Aug 27, 2016 11:28 AM

Sep 2013
That was frickin brutal

Imagine it without censor and red blood...
Shirobako is AOTY 2015. Deal with it.
Aug 27, 2016 11:51 AM

Aug 2016
Angry_Always said:
I understand the intention was to disrupt Hope's peak but the thing itself just seems so unreal and forced. I did think about the girl getting shot but then again the EXACT same thing happened with "Enoshima Junko" at the beginning of DR1. She was killed to prove the gravity of the situation but the rest didn't turn psycho instantly.

The best part of DR in my opinion is the characters and psychological aspect so this episode was a letdown for me but I understand it's just a stepping stone to larger things. Hopefully those larger things being clever psychological things and not 'Junko shows video to main class, class turns evil'

You could argue that in DR1, there were clear rules that
1/ they had to abide by (once a body is found, and until class trial time comes, I think all you're allowed to do is basically investigate the murder) ;
2/ could give them hope : they had situations in which they had to cooperate, and the place they were trapped in was obviously mysterious and probably hid some mysteries they could solve by working together.
3/ made sure they had to conceal their intentions, their worst feelings.
Overall, their situation was treated as a game. Plus, there were some personalities that made the group not going batshit crazy easier.

In the original mutual killing game, however, that's not quite the same set-up. They are trapped in a familiar environment, they know that they won't find anything more than what they already know.
Plus, there is no rule that ensures the pacing of the game, and no one has to make any effort to hide their crime at all. Basically, once someone is triggered, the whole group will be out of necessity, or out of instinct, or because they have deep psychological tendency, or because they secretly hate each other, etc...
And I believe that a lot of the students in the council were not totally sane to begin with, or at least easy to break emotionally.
ManecleisAug 27, 2016 11:55 AM
Aug 27, 2016 12:13 PM

Jan 2015
Angry_Always said:
Mukuro, though, does have a realistic idea of Junko and who she is. By reading IF we know she is aware of the terrible nature of Junko and her abilities but goes along anyway for her sake, meaning she isn't deluded as such, just devoted.

I feel like the glasses guy's face got fucked up but not fully decapitated, that'd be silly... and gross.

If you´re refering to my note of Mukuro´s out of character narration, then you understood my observation in a wrong way. What I meant was that her using a narrator tone and explaining her sister's ability was very random, like she was talking to and "unexistant" audience, not only Mitarai or Mikan.

Mmhm, pretty sure he didn´t only get his face fucked up. His body is elevated and then fell, however that part of his head didn´t move, which means it was not attached to the body anymore. Probably part of his head got severed.

Ah well, still need to rewatch and read a lot of info, and after seeing Junko enjoying that takoyaki makes me want to try some *¬*
Aug 27, 2016 12:24 PM

Jun 2009
I thought that the student council seen was well executed and well scored. The use of music to highten the feeling was intense. Those poor lovers wanted to take the battle royale way out and that backfired on them. Honestly, I thought the scene was well done and I appreciate that the despair side keeps moving and does not drag.

Izuru is turning out to be a different character then I imagined. Not complaining, but just kind of lackluster.

So mind control anime.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 27, 2016 1:05 PM

Jan 2015
@Suzune-chan : Not exactly well executed, but I also found that scene "pleasing". Despite it being rushed, it got to show a few things about those students. The lovers specially. Also the guy that killed them, truth be told, if it weren't for the subs, I wouldn't have known he had a crush on the girl he previously killed.

I'm starting to read the DR0 now. I think this event was described there? I want to know how much of a buildup had in there.
Aug 27, 2016 1:12 PM

Jun 2009
@Dreams_of_Neko, what more would you have wanted from it? Backstory on the characters?

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 27, 2016 2:18 PM

Apr 2012
Dreams_of_Neko said:

I'm starting to read the DR0 now. I think this event was described there? I want to know how much of a buildup had in there.
Actually, DR0 basically starts "soon" after the end of this episode. They only mention the event.
Aug 27, 2016 3:37 PM

Sep 2015
Dreams_of_Neko said:
Angry_Always said:

If you´re refering to my note of Mukuro´s out of character narration, then you understood my observation in a wrong way. What I meant was that her using a narrator tone and explaining her sister's ability was very random, like she was talking to and "unexistant" audience, not only Mitarai or Mikan.

Mmhm, pretty sure he didn´t only get his face fucked up. His body is elevated and then fell, however that part of his head didn´t move, which means it was not attached to the body anymore. Probably part of his head got severed.

Ah well, still need to rewatch and read a lot of info, and after seeing Junko enjoying that takoyaki makes me want to try some *¬*

The same takoyaki that she mixed in with an eyeball... right.
I would say it's probably very unlikely his head was severed. We never see how far the chainsaw cuts and we hear him scream for a while so it didn't enter his head immediately. Since the shot of him on the ground was ambiguous we can't really tell but if his head was removed, even partially, he probably wouldn't be able to move his face or hand. My guess is he bled to death or died due to blunt force trauma.

About the point with Mukuro, yeah, you're right. I was replying to a few quotes and I saw that and didn't know what exactly you were referring to. Idk, Mukuro seems a bit contradictory at times with her character but I suppose she's a bit harder to understand than other characters.

If, now this is just memory serving, when she described the super analysis. I thought it was in her head, and it was just her remarking upon it. We see a lot of random exposition through character thought in anime. What I find weird is how Junko's eyes go all derpy on us, never seen that before. I wonder if Izuru sometimes does the same thing...
Aug 27, 2016 4:06 PM

Apr 2012
Angry_Always said:
Dreams_of_Neko said:

I would say it's probably very unlikely his head was severed. We never see how far the chainsaw cuts and we hear him scream for a while so it didn't enter his head immediately. Since the shot of him on the ground was ambiguous we can't really tell but if his head was removed, even partially, he probably wouldn't be able to move his face or hand. My guess is he bled to death or died due to blunt force trauma.
I don't see how it's ambiguous.

You can see his head is not attached to his body. Him shooting Kamakura is lulz.
Aug 27, 2016 4:15 PM

Sep 2015
BluexMage said:
Angry_Always said:

You can see his head is not attached to his body. Him shooting Kamakura is lulz.

Did not remember seeing that... Still weird Izuru didn't dodge it entirely as he is meant to have every talent including I would guess ultimate soldier though.
Aug 27, 2016 5:43 PM

Jan 2015
Suzune-chan said:
@Dreams_of_Neko, what more would you have wanted from it? Backstory on the characters?

Haha, no, no, I was wondering how much of a build up there was, but then BluexMage answered it. Haven't reached that part yet, but maybe this is a case of bad adaptation, as in, they weren't able to portray Junko's ability to inflict massive despair into others.

But then I have seen people getting killed because of a cellphone, so....not too farfetched. This scene doesn't really bother me, just curious.

@BluexMage : Ah...saw that scene, but the resolution wasn't as clear as this. Dang. He was off his head to stay alive.

@Angry_Always : I meant the second batch she was eating in this episode. Ah, I was forgetting, checked the episode and Mukuro is talking. Even Junko said her mouth stinks to shut her up.
Aug 27, 2016 8:43 PM
Aug 2016
Monaka flying to outerspace is the best part of this whole episode. I'd leave with her ..
Aug 27, 2016 11:27 PM
Jul 2016
mTeacup said:
Monaka flying to outerspace is the best part of this whole episode. I'd leave with her ..

Umm, you came to the wrong nighborhood, bro.

Leave this fourm immediately and go to the Miari-hen fourms... NOW!!
Aug 27, 2016 11:35 PM
Jul 2016
@Angry_Always

Humans can think and thier body can respone even after cutting thier heads... For 15 seconds only!

So in this peroid of time, he can determine to shoot Izuru and rise his hand to shoot, then he died!

Google it if you want, there's no such a thing like an instate death in 1 sec.
Even if we remove his head, his Bone marrow will take the rest and managed to control his body for a few secs. Then he will die

Horrible and Unbeliveable but it's true
Aug 28, 2016 12:02 AM
Aug 2016
SuperSysom said:
mTeacup said:

Umm, you came to the wrong nighborhood, bro.

Leave this fourm immediately and go to the Miari-hen fourms... NOW!!

Well fck xD,,,,....
Aug 28, 2016 12:36 AM
Aug 2016
A crazy and disturbing episode. I kinda cry about the Student council students dying one by one and it was brutal. All of their character design just go to waste.
Aug 28, 2016 5:25 AM

Sep 2015
SuperSysom said:
@Angry_Always

Humans can think and thier body can respone even after cutting thier heads... For 15 seconds only!

So in this peroid of time, he can determine to shoot Izuru and rise his hand to shoot, then he died!

Even if we remove his head, his Bone marrow will take the rest and managed to control his body for a few secs. Then he will die

Surely... he couldn't have shot after his head was off, right? I can understand maybe the head moving on its own or something but if his head is disconnected surely he can't send the command to his hand to pull the trigger, can he?
Aug 28, 2016 6:48 AM

Mar 2016
DarkHayate said:
A lot of people died okay but ANYWAY is Juzo actually in love with Munakata? He told her he was jealous and if it's in a romantic way, I'm not sure if he got feelings for Chisa or for him. It's just a feeling I have but it kind of casts suspicion on him...
We have all dem pepto-bismol madness here and you're questioning Juzo's sexuality?
No seriously.
Aug 28, 2016 8:10 AM

Jan 2013

Aug 28, 2016 10:58 PM

May 2009
Kouun said:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about anime, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in Hope´s Speak Academy, and I’ve been involved in numerous key-frame animation jobs for KyoAni, and I´ve made storybooards for over 300 anime episodes. I am trained in paintbrush animation and I’m the top character designer in all og Japan. You are nothing to me but just another troll. I will turn you into an otaku with speed the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me irl? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am planning on my head the sickest fight coreography you´ve ever seen, so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can make you get hyped in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in cel animation, but I have access to the entire arsenal of drawing software and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

This is some top of the line memeing.

Aug 29, 2016 7:38 AM

May 2013
Omnisword said:
Regarding DR Zero
did they changed that student council incident?
from what i heard it was Izuru who massacred the students while in anime more like both students killed each other.

No they didn't. Murasame probably witnessed Izuru kill Ultimate Student Council Vice-President but he couldn't complete his sentence in DR:Zero.
Aug 29, 2016 7:41 AM

May 2013
BluexMage said:
Angry_Always said:

If you look closely that is not Soushun Murasame cause he has glasses while Soushun doesn't have glasses and yes this guy's head was decapitated. He's probably the SHSL Student Council Vice-President
Aug 29, 2016 7:44 AM

May 2013
Kay_Lite said:
Wow can't they at least introduce all of those student council students first before kill them with gory deaths? I want to at least know the hoodie girl's name.. RIP ;(
That last death of the guy done by the chainsaw tho... Ouch. Uncensored version when?

Despair-filling episodes indeed. Best Despair Arc episodes so far.
Rushed, but it expressed most of things it wants to tell, so don't really mind. It really reminded me a lot of Corpse Party and Another for some reason.

I guess

Not yet. Dr0 is still gonna happen next ep.
Aug 29, 2016 8:03 AM

May 2013
Angry_Always said:
Tennouji said:

Yeah but there's killing out of desperation or fear, then there's evilly smirking whilst you twist the knife into an innocent classmate of yours. In Grisaia they were there for weeks with death and starvation every day. Here they see one person get shot, a couple secrets about them and suddenly they all become mad killers.

The thing about DR1 is it took a lot of time and build up for a murder to occur and even then the characters didn't go randomly batshit crazy and start killing each other with smiles and wide eyes. It was much more realistic on the human side. The shift from council members to insane killers in this episode just seems waayyyy too rushed and cheap to be satisfying IMO.

You lose who you are when you start killing especially in front of others. Also their family was kidnapped and all the blackmail, motives, money, weapons are already their. Most of them are high ranking members of society so their dirt is not something as lame as the others in DR1. It could be that some of them had already committed murder once, sold drugs, raped someone, be raped, witnessed a murder but didn't say anything, treason, arson, or serial killing. Also, it's obvious that the killing did not end in mere minutes. They just summarized it cause the details are not that important. Also everyone is in a closed space and the fear of getting shot if they don't kill is in their minds and the deranged secretary started it.
Aug 29, 2016 8:49 AM

Sep 2015
DarkwindJR said:
Angry_Always said:

You lose who you are when you start killing especially in front of others. Also their family was kidnapped and all the blackmail, motives, money, weapons are already their. Most of them are high ranking members of society so their dirt is not something as lame as the others in DR1. It could be that some of them had already committed murder once, sold drugs, raped someone, be raped, witnessed a murder but didn't say anything, treason, arson, or serial killing. Also, it's obvious that the killing did not end in mere minutes. They just summarized it cause the details are not that important. Also everyone is in a closed space and the fear of getting shot if they don't kill is in their minds and the deranged secretary started it.

You mentioned earlier about how I was wrong about Griaia and you were right, they went for weeks through mental torture as they died whilst watching their friends dying. Those people going neurotic I can pretty much understand, not that I can understand why they weren't saved earlier.

My problem with this is mostly, not all but mostly, the timing. They get shown these secrets and weapons, they see one person die then all the shit kicks off. Surely the secrets won't be mad enough to turn into sadistic killers within a moment, right? We hardly see any panic before they turn to mindless murder.
Why wouldn't they question it at all? At least TRY to escape, even if one girl got shot you shouldn't be so quickly content with killing one another.

Were their families kidnapped? I apologize if I'm remembering it badly. You're probably right we saw a condensed version, but it's still one night. The behavior the students were showing was past the point of panic and straight into insanity. The two lovers were casually about to double suicide, level headed they seemed. You don't make that kind of final resolution so quickly.

I'm imagining this happening to me and my class, currently in what you may call the second year of high school if I have the UK-America school system right. If one died and maybe one or two went a little crazy. I wouldn't laugh or kill or try to kill myself, I'd straight up run or try and talk down the killers. I can hardly imagine anyone would resort to suicide that easily, it's unnatural. Moral compasses can't just be dropped like that unless the people are truly messed up.

It just reminded me of terrible scenes from the likes of Corpse Party, having sudden twisted character moments that don't really make sense but are put in to emphasize horror or make a cheap jump scare. I kinda have too high expectations with DR which is why I've latched onto this but I guess I can't do anything about it.
Aug 29, 2016 10:50 AM
Jul 2016
Angry_Always said:
SuperSysom said:
@Angry_Always

Surely... he couldn't have shot after his head was off, right? I can understand maybe the head moving on its own or something but if his head is disconnected surely he can't send the command to his hand to pull the trigger, can he?

As what I said, his bone marrow toke the lead and make his hand shot Izuru... Creepy af
Aug 29, 2016 11:12 AM

Oct 2015

I wasn't prepared for that...

So Junko will use Mitarai's manipulating animation techniques to manipulate the whole world into becoming despair when the Killing School Life is publicly broadcasted?
Aug 29, 2016 8:54 PM
Sep 2012
Angry_Always said:
BluexMage said:

Did not remember seeing that... Still weird Izuru didn't dodge it entirely as he is meant to have every talent including I would guess ultimate soldier though.

That doesn't mean he can't drop his guard. Even if he's regarded as being "hope for humanity" with all the talents in the world, he's still only a human and with flaws. And how he can get influenced easily, as well, by Junko. The unpredictability of despair was quite evident in this episode and even more so when Izuru was shot at by a student who died after being decapitated, but was somehow still able to do something in the end on Izuru. Izuru was definitely not expecting something to happen at that point, but was surprised it happened when he thought it was done and over with. In other words, Junko did not disappoint.

Junko's suggestion about depair peaked Izuru's interest and the whole student council killing thing is one of those events that brings Izuru down to becoming one of the Ultimate Despairs.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2016

225 by Beguni »»
May 1, 8:21 AM

» *spoilers* Why do people not like this season?

kakashis_sidehoe - Mar 26, 2023

33 by Kiryotsu »»
Jan 5, 10:53 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2016

526 by Salty_Cookie »»
Jan 4, 9:44 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2016

255 by KSkillmyself »»
Dec 7, 2023 11:29 PM

» Small criticism about some aspects and a specific character

Bard_Eren - May 20, 2023

11 by GreatSoldier34 »»
May 20, 2023 4:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.